USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome to GQ's New Masculinity issue, an exploration of the ways that traditional notions of masculinity are being challenged, overturned, and evolved.

Feature article with Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity and Spiritual Warfare

There were gender-fluid elements to the way you dressed long before it became a national conversation.

It started with the “I can pull that off” thing. I wore a lot of Chanel, and I wore tons of Céline. Like, I got all the O.G. Céline. Because they were clothes I could fit in. When you listen to yourself and you're comfortable in who you are, you wear what you feel like fits and looks right on you. And that's it.

Question: What are your thoughts on “new masculinity?” Is it a fad or something deeper?

~Bella

D7DEF87E-D939-45D7-B51C-D03D02804B7F.jpeg

Last edited:

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wondered how "spiritual warfare" came into this.

From the article: " Because think about it. What is happening to a transgender person? What are they going through? They feel like their body is not connected to their spirit. And what kind of toxic environment do we live in that they have to justify how they feel? That must feel incredibly insane. That is spiritual warfare".​

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Question: What are your thoughts on “new masculinity?” Is it a fad or something deeper?

I don't think it's either. Androgynous fashion styles and varying perspectives on masculinity aren't new. Equating "masculine" with being an emotionally stunted tough guy who dresses like a lumberjack is a fairly recent, mostly-western development. Even as recently as a century ago, men used to dress much more like dandies, particularly among the wealthier castes.

Now let's appreciate Pharrell in leather Ferragamo pajamas and a million dollar watch:
pharrell-williams-cover-gq-november-2019-10.jpg

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is that thing he is wearing?

Haute couture makes a lot more sense if you think of it as costumes as art pieces rather than stuff people would actually wear every day. I've been visiting The Met's Costume Institute exhibit (for which the annual Met Gala is a fundraiser) each of the last few years and there's a ton of crossover between what I see there and what I see in character design for video games.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
Welcome to GQ's New Masculinity issue, an exploration of the ways that traditional notions of masculinity are being challenged, overturned, and evolved.

Feature article with Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity and Spiritual Warfare

There were gender-fluid elements to the way you dressed long before it became a national conversation.

It started with the “I can pull that off” thing. I wore a lot of Chanel, and I wore tons of Céline. Like, I got all the O.G. Céline. Because they were clothes I could fit in. When you listen to yourself and you're comfortable in who you are, you wear what you feel like fits and looks right on you. And that's it.

~Bella

View attachment 265061
I’m not sure how wearing a dozen yellow sleeping bags is a gender-fluid “look”.

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
Actually, the more I look at it, the more I WANT it. And I want to wear it everywhere... job interview, an acquaintance’s wedding, going to the supermarket, chopping wood... camping. Definitely camping.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I don't really see it as any different as all the weird-looking women who appear on the covers of the high fashion magazines. Practically no one outside of the fashion world actually wears any of that stuff in their day to day lives, so why we would all freak out over it now doesn't even seem rational. So it's gone from walking around looking like a fruitbowl or a doughnut or a space alien with super colorful make-up to wearable sleeping bags. I'm sure next year will be something different!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Something much deeper -

An arrogant denial of God's created order.

But worse - the world is being forced to bow down to it...

Most of what we define as gender roles and everything to do with fashion has been created by man, not God.

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This pretty much sums up my opinion on modern gender identities. :p

I've heard that what happens in the spiritual often manifests in the natural, and I think that's exactly what we're seeing. Without God, everything becomes subjective, and it leads to chaos. It's like suddenly removing the structural system of a building leaving only the facade; it's destined to collapse sooner or later.

Genesis 5:2 said:
Male and female He created them . . .

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of what we define as gender roles and everything to do with fashion has been created by man, not God.
Exactly and we have departed from what He created.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't feel like masculinity or femininity have much to do with clothing. We as humans can act differently based on what we wear, of course......But, there are women that can wear a potato sack and still be oozing femininity . The same for men and masculinity. It's not so much what you wear; it's what comes across no matter what you wear. In Biblical times, technically everyone wore skirted clothing.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Something much deeper -

An arrogant denial of God's created order.

But worse - the world is being forced to bow down to it...

I think you’re correct. It’s one thing to enjoy kooky fashion and another to redefine gender. I think this is more propaganda for androgyny.

~Bella

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's either. Androgynous fashion styles and varying perspectives on masculinity aren't new. Equating "masculine" with being an emotionally stunted tough guy who dresses like a lumberjack is a fairly recent, mostly-western development. Even as recently as a century ago, men used to dress much more like dandies, particularly among the wealthier castes.
Excellent observation.

Why is it always Helena Handbasket to some people?

Upvote 0