• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Gothic // Sub-Culture - Views Please

Discussion in 'Archived - Ethics & Morality' started by orangefunkyradio, Jan 9, 2007.

1. sister_maynard

sister_maynard Senior Veteran

+104
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    How is it possible for you to make two posts that I want to rep in one thread when I still need to spread it? I love this list. Do I have permission to borrow it for the next time this comes up on another forum?

I think the cereal part really points in that direction: some of them sound like straight-up fundie nonsense, but the cereal is too silly to be serious.

I've actually run into a few people online who think that you shouldn't express any interest in sex until your wedding night. The idea is a bit unnerving: sex drives don't come with an on/off switch.

2. Ramona

Ramona If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;) Supporter

+589
    Humanist
    Married
    LOL, I completely agree. I find it really strange how some fundamentalists think that they can go from never having kissed their spouse until the minister grants them permission to full-out sexytime on their wedding night.

:scratch: Golly gee willikers, Batman! It's just baffling.

3. Robbie_James_Francis

Robbie_James_Francis May all beings have happiness and its causes

+607
    Humanist
    Single
    I stand corrected. :)

Thank you. And feel free to use it. :)

peace

4. Verv

Verv Senior Veteran

+574
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    I have seen it clearly in my experience. Of the three people in my life that I have known who committed suicide, two of them have been goths and heavily into that subculture. Of course, I am no representative but that carries a lot of weight with me.

This link deals with Goth kids being linked to suicide.

"GLASGOW, Scotland, April 14 - The rate of suicide attempts and self-mutilation-is high among those in the Goth youth subculture, researchers here reported.

More than half of 19-year-olds who self-identified as Goth reported self-harming behavior, and nearly half reported a suicide attempt, said Robert Young, a research associate at the University of Glasgow.

But whether participation in Goth culture leads to self-destructive behavior or whether adolescents with those tendencies gravitate to Goth is not clear, Young and colleagues said online today in BMJ, formerly the British Medical Journal. "

5. Steezie

Steezie Guest

+0
    As opposed to how many other teenagers who were NOT goths who comitted suicide?

Self-injury and suicide are part of teenage life in the modern first world countries. Its something that crosses ALL boundaries. From the high school football quarterback to the art geek president of the chess club.

6. Argent

Argent Well-Known Member

+136
    Baptist
    US-Libertarian
    Thanks for telling us your story.

That last bit of advice is very good.

7. wanderingone

wanderingone I'm not lost I'm just wandering

+844
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Wandering One
    ::: wanders off thinking now I'll be singing "I'm a person just like you, but I've got better things to do...." to myself all afternoon in staff meeting::::

8. Jetgirl

Jetgirl The cake is a lie.

+461
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yuck. That was a silly bulletin. I hate that person immediatly for the unforgivable error of atrociously mangling the English language in referring to someone as "a gothic."

9. sister_maynard

+104
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    I know. People who try to make adjectives into nouns make my eyeballs twitch in pain.

10. JohnLocke

JohnLocke Regular Member

+142
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    US-Libertarian
    I honestly don't think that I have ever met a person who didn't fit at least 5 of those criteria. And I'm a old man.

11. flicka

flicka Contributor

+570
    Agnostic
    Private
    I see alot of teenage "goths" but not to many middle aged "goths". That right there tells me all I need to know about it.

12. sister_maynard

+104
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    Yeah- it's easy to maintain as a trend when you want to look cool about sulking, but it's not going to lead you on some sort of "lifelong path of devil worship."

13. Steezie

Steezie Guest

+0
    You dont go to the right places :D I can introduce you to quite a few

14. Silent Enigma

Silent Enigma Senior Veteran

+65
    Agnostic
    Single
    And they got it wrong. It's Count Chocula. That article had to be from a parody site.

15. theeyesoftammyfaye

theeyesoftammyfaye no parking baby - no parking on the dance floor

+211
    Other Religion
    Single
    US-Democrat
    blah. "goths" are harmless. they're no different from any other youths/adolescents/teenagers/etc. in that they all generally try to conform to the "cool standards" of their particular clique. i wouldn't say they were more mischevious or "satanic" even, or, conversely, more outgoing and nice than any of their peers.

there's hot topic and mail order catalogues for "goth looks" just like there is the wet seal and forever 21 for the "girly girl teenage" looks. some people grow out of it, and some people don't - we all know the 30 year olds who still shop at hot topic, and the 30 year olds who still shop at wet seal. the end.

16. sister_maynard

+104
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    "I'm an emo kid, nonconforming as can be
    You'd be nonconforming too if you looked just like me..."
    I love that song. I'd link to the lyrics, but I'm pretty sure that there's some swearing in there somwhere. Search for "Emo Kid" on Youtube and the first few results should have it.

17. Zimfan

Zimfan Well-Known Member

+45
    Protestant
    Engaged
    US-Libertarian
    To quote a favorite cartoon show of mine, "I don't know whether to laugh ^_^ or to vomit :sick: ".

18. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    "Middle-aged" (20s and 30s) goths do exist. I know a few.

Sweden has a very age-ist culture (most people feel strongly compelled by "society" to dress like others in their age-bracket), and so many young goths get pressured by the need to be accepted by others as "adult" into giving up their lifestyle, but this is a shame. They often feel compelled to have joyless and unimaginative lives trapped inside the expections of society. The lucky ones are the goths who stay goth into their 20s and 30s -- they seem to be much happier.

Just become some activities are given up in adulthood doesn't mean they are inherently adolescent or childish. Social pressure may count for a lot.

eudaimonia,

Mark

19. flicka

flicka Contributor

+570
    Agnostic
    Private
    I know a few 60 year old hippies too...it's not pretty. :)