Got a word from the Lord that didn't (yet?) come true.

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Anyone who says "So says the Lord" is claiming to speak Scripture, because when the Lord speaks directly that is what it is. But the canon of Scripture is closed, therefore there are no additions to Scripture. The only ones in the New Testament who heard directly from God in what they said and taught to the churches were the Apostles. They were specially chosen to compile the New Testament Scriptures. Therefore anyone who gets up and says "So says the Lord" is false. This is because New Testament prophecy is to be judged to see if it complies with what has already been inspired in the written Scriptures. The implication when someone says "So says the Lord", those who judge the prophecy are seen as going against the Lord. But the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write that when a person prophesies, others should judge. This means that the person who judges the prophecy is correct, and the person who says "The Lord is saying this" is wrong and the prophecy is false.

Just because it is accurate does not mean that it comes from the Holy Spirit. Demons know all about us and can work through a false prophet to give very accurate words to make us think that they come from the Holy Spirit. We need to be very careful about prophecies of this nature where someone maintains that they are speaking directly from God.

When the Bible was completed, it was a book of instructions. Now you are saying the Book is more important than the instructions within. That is like a great chef who gives the world a cookbook of all His recipes, and when it is complete says, There now you have all my recipes - you are full - you don't need to eat anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the Bible was completed, it was a book of instructions. Now you are saying the Book is more important than the instructions within. That is like a great chef you gives the world a cookbook of all His recipes, and when it is complete says, There now you have all my recipes - you are full - you don't need to eat anymore.
It is a book of ingredients and custom recipes......the author and finisher then says, that you can use the ingredient to reproduce the same recipes and, in fact, create greater recipes than those printed therein.....

But man says we arent even able to recreate the same recipes.....it is up to us to choose whose report we will believe.....

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aren't the books of The New Testament, all of which were penned after Christ's ascension to Heaven, rather hefty with prophecy? And doesn't Malachi, ch. 4 suggest that prophecy will be revived before Christ's second coming?

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
It is a book of ingredients and custom recipes......the author and finisher then says, that you can use the ingredient to reproduce the same recipes and, in fact, create greater recipes than those printed therein.....

But man says we arent even able to recreate the same recipes.....it is up to us to choose whose report we will believe.....

There is even an example of a personal prophecy to Paul from the Prophet Agabus, but it wasn't scripture meant for everyone, otherwise everyone going to visit the Holy Land would wind up in jail!

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are true and false prophets, are there not? If false prophets are inspired by the devil, and the devil be aware of our weaknesses, could not the woman have been a false prophet?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For many years I have been struggeling with something. At a Christian festival as I sat among the people thinking about this problem an older woman (I never seen before) a few seats away started profetizing with a loud voice. It was like she was talking directly to me, starting with "So says the Lord..." and continuing with describing my problem and ending with that I didn't have to worry and that God would help me.

This is maybe five years ago and still the prophecy hasn't come true. Now I wonder why. Is it because I doubted in God's promise or because of personal sins, or maybe something else? Maybe more important, is the prophecy still valid or do think God has taken it back?
God spoke to you in a way you would understand and know it was Him. It matters not the means in which He chooses to do so. Talks of the credibility of the plates used to serve the meal are irrelevant. The Good news is still Good, whether is comes from a holy leader of a big church, or from the month of a mere carpenters son.....

God knows that, when you heard the phrase " I will help you" that you would know it meant Healing.....so pay no mind to those who claim it has a different meaning.....For God knows you and knew what you would believe when you heard it.

So I say claim your healing.....not as something that will come......for there is no tomorrow.....but as something that has come already.

For the master said that, before receiving, we must first believe that we have already received.........and to those who have not....even that which they have will be taken away.....

Here is how it will go......you will go some time ignoring your ailment.....you will then forget about it......then in xxxxx time, you will remember it again, and notice that you no longer feel it.....it is no longer there....... You will be overcome with gratitude....and turn within and say: Thank you.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are true and false prophets, are there not? If false prophets are inspired by the devil, and the devil be aware of our weaknesses, could not the woman have been a false prophet?
Why do you believe the devil is aware of our weaknesses? Do you believe him to be all-knowing just as the Father?

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone who says "So says the Lord" is claiming to speak Scripture, because when the Lord speaks directly that is what it is. But the canon of Scripture is closed, therefore there are no additions to Scripture. The only ones in the New Testament who heard directly from God in what they said and taught to the churches were the Apostles. They were specially chosen to compile the New Testament Scriptures. Therefore anyone who gets up and says "So says the Lord" is false. This is because New Testament prophecy is to be judged to see if it complies with what has already been inspired in the written Scriptures. The implication when someone says "So says the Lord", those who judge the prophecy are seen as going against the Lord. But the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write that when a person prophesies, others should judge. This means that the person who judges the prophecy is correct, and the person who says "The Lord is saying this" is wrong and the prophecy is false.

Just because it is accurate does not mean that it comes from the Holy Spirit. Demons know all about us and can work through a false prophet to give very accurate words to make us think that they come from the Holy Spirit. We need to be very careful about prophecies of this nature where someone maintains that they are speaking directly from God.
Doesn't the Bible itself refer to inspired sources that are not included in the closed canon of Scripture?

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you believe the devil is aware of our weaknesses? Do you believe him to be all-knowing just as the Father?
Rather accusatory, isn't it? You seem to have judged me a heretic already. Do you deny the invisibility of fallen angels, or the obvious advantage of their natural powers over our own? I don't recall referring to their relation to God at all.

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How marvelous it is that Satan has deceived us so that if we acknowledge his power at all, we immediately begin to accuse each other of deifying him. He must be well pleased.

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rather accusatory, isn't it? You seem to have judged me a heretic already. Do you deny the invisibility of fallen angels, or the obvious advantage of their natural powers over our own? I don't recall referring to their relation to God at all.
Thanks for the explaination. Sorry if the question offended you, that wasnt my intention... I've heard this idea before....and just wanted light on possible biblical reasons. I believe I lean more toward the idea that he knows all as well....so maybe me and you both are heretic?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God knows that, when you heard the phrase " I will help you" that you would know it meant Healing.....so pay no mind to those who claim it has a different meaning.....For God knows you and knew what you would believe when you heard it.

God knew that the OP assumed that "help" meant "healing", certainly.
Doesn't alter the fact that that is not what he said.

Sorry, but I've had years of experience hearing God say something, assuming he meant something else and wondering why what I wanted God to have meant, didn't happen.

That's what happened with Adam - heard the phrase, "when you eat it you will die" and assumed it meant instant physical death. Eve didn't physically die when she ate the fruit, so he went ahead and ate too.
It's what happened with the disciples, who heard the phrase "if I want him to stay alive til I return, what's that to you?" - and a rumour went round that John was not going to die.

In my experience people get into a muddle when they assume, or guess at, what God meant.

• Informative
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

If Paul is correct here - and I believe he is - there is no need of prophets. We already have all we need to know in the special revelation of God's word about Christian doctrine and practice, and God's will for the Church.

No true prophet in Scripture ever had a partial success rate concerning their prophecies. Not so the so-called "prophets" of today, however. These modern "prophets," excusing their prophetic failures by saying they just aren't on par with biblical prophets, are simply false prophets. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. It is a great fool who gives any credence whatever to these modern-day false prophets. They are multiplying like the plague, infecting the weak and doctrinally-juvenile Church today and turning believers to nonsense and blasphemy.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

If Paul is correct here - and I believe he is - there is no need of prophets. We already have all we need to know in the special revelation of God's word about Christian doctrine and practice, and God's will for the Church.

No true prophet in Scripture ever had a partial success rate concerning their prophecies. Not so the so-called "prophets" of today, however. These modern "prophets," excusing their prophetic failures by saying they just aren't on par with biblical prophets, are simply false prophets. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. It is a great fool who gives any credence whatever to these modern-day false prophets. They are multiplying like the plague, infecting the weak and doctrinally-juvenile Church today and turning believers to nonsense and blasphemy.
How do you tell the false from the true? Do you have a time limit that you give for words to come true?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well, it depends upon the kind and content of the prophecy. When God's "covenant prosecutor," His holy prophet, pronounced God's judgment upon wayward Israel, the coming to pass of the prophecy given was not so far in the future that those to whom it was given and whose conduct had provoked God's wrathful prophecy could mistake its fulfillment. There are other prophecies, though, that were issued millenia ago that have yet to be fulfilled. But those prophecies were issued by men who were clearly marked and established by God as His prophets and whose fulfillment was not concretely anchored to a specific time. In those instances, then, where a prophecy clearly indicated a relatively immediate fulfillment of itself, a long forestallment of it exposed a false prophet for what he was.

These days, however, false prophets, have neither the miraculous signs establishing their right to prophesy, nor lives that are truly God-centered, rejecting sensual faith for spiritual and forsaking carnal pursuit of profit and power, nor do they prophesy in accord with Scripture, but add to it, or twist it out shape. And many of their prophecies have been time-sensitive, sometimes very time-specific, and have not come to pass. Even a single prophecy of this sort issued from one claiming to be a prophet immediately dissolves their claim.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, it depends upon the kind and content of the prophecy. When God's "covenant prosecutor," His holy prophet, pronounced God's judgment upon wayward Israel, the coming to pass of the prophecy given was not so far in the future that those to whom it was given and whose conduct had provoked God's wrathful prophecy could mistake its fulfillment. There are other prophecies, though, that were issued millenia ago that have yet to be fulfilled. But those prophecies were issued by men who were clearly marked and established by God as His prophets and whose fulfillment was not concretely anchored to a specific time. In those instances, then, where a prophecy clearly indicated a relatively immediate fulfillment of itself, a long forestallment of it exposed a false prophet for what he was.

These days, however, false prophets, have neither the miraculous signs establishing their right to prophesy, nor lives that are truly God-centered, rejecting sensual faith for spiritual and forsaking carnal pursuit of profit and power, nor do they prophesy in accord with Scripture, but add to it, or twist it out shape. And many of their prophecies have been time-sensitive, sometimes very time-specific, and have not come to pass. Even one prophecy of this sort issued from one claiming to be a prophet immediately dissolves their claim.

I see you only mentioned prophets in Bible times, and false prophets today. What about true prophets today. I've received prophecies that have all come true. I may be 72, but not 2072! LOL

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I see you only mentioned prophets in Bible times, and false prophets today. What about true prophets today. I've received prophecies that have all come true. I may be 72, but not 2072! LOL

There are no true prophets today. What need is there for them? We have God's word that provides to us all that God wants us to know about Himself, us, and our relationship to Him. In the Bible, God has given us reams of information on spiritual principles, His moral commands to us, His long and short-term plans for humanity, and His divine wisdom. And so it is that Paul the apostle wrote what he did to Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

I can't verify your personal anecdotes. I have no way of checking to see that the prophecies you think were fulfilled were actually truly prophecies from God. Certainly, the devil can counterfeit such things, which is one of the reasons why I would urge you - regardless of your age - to be very, very careful about accepting "new revelations" from God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When the Bible was completed, it was a book of instructions. Now you are saying the Book is more important than the instructions within. That is like a great chef who gives the world a cookbook of all His recipes, and when it is complete says, There now you have all my recipes - you are full - you don't need to eat anymore.
The Bible is unique, unlike any other book. This is because it is God communicating to mankind. Paul told Timothy that every Scripture is inspired by God. Once the canon of Scripture was closed after the last epistle was written (The Holy Spirit having inspired the Apostles of Christ to form the New Testament Scriptures); and God completed all that He had to say to mankind. Any "new" revelation is adding to God's already inspired Word, and therefore is false.

Any vision, voice or dream that gives information or instructions that are contrary to the written Word does not come from the Holy Spirit, but could very well come from a familiar spirit posing as the Holy Spirit.

Therefore, the Holy Spirit speaks through the Scriptures, not apart from them.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There are no true prophets today. What need is there for them? We have God's word that provides to us all that God wants us to know about Himself, us, and our relationship to Him. In the Bible, God has given us reams of information on spiritual principles, His moral commands to us, His long and short-term plans for humanity, and His divine wisdom. And so it is that Paul the apostle wrote what he did to Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

I can't verify your personal anecdotes. I have no way of checking to see that the prophecies you think were fulfilled were actually truly prophecies from God. Certainly, the devil can counterfeit such things, which is one of the reasons why I would urge you - regardless of your age - to be very, very careful about accepting "new revelations" from God.
The prophets of the Old Testament were directly inspired by the Holy Spirit, therefore they could say "so says the Lord". In the New Covenant, the Apostles of Christ were similarly inspired, and so they could say that what they wrote was directly from the Lord, and we have the New Testament Scriptures which are as much directly inspired as the Old Testament prophets. In the New Covenant, the Old Testament prophet passed into history. There are no prophets who are prophesying in that style today. That type of prophecy ceased at the end of the Old Covenant. John the Baptist was the last such prophet. Therefore, any modern day "prophet" giving Old Testament style prophecies for the nation are false and not inspired by the Holy Spirit at all. They are dreaming it all up in their own hearts and minds.

The inspired Word was taken over by the Apostles, when the last epistle was written, the canon of directly inspired Scripture was closed. There are no more Apostles, because an Apostle had to have personally witnessed the resurrected Christ and directly appointed by Him in person. This is why there are no Apostles today. Therefore, there is no new revelation.

All revelational teaching and New Testament prophecy has to reflect what has already been directly inspired by the Holy Spirit through the written Scriptures. If it is contrary to the written Scripture then it does not come from the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will never contradict or add to the written Scriptures. In fact Proverbs 30:6 brings God's judgment upon any who would add to what has already been revealed through the Scriptures. It says that God Himself will come and expose that person to be a liar!

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

I hear His voice very clearly.

Do you pray? Do you get an answer, or does God only answer us through the Scriptures? The Bible is also an instruction book, but not if you don't use it.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0