Got a word from the Lord that didn't (yet?) come true.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I hear His voice very clearly.

Really? Does God have a rich tenor voice, then? Or perhaps He's a bass-voiced God. I'm poking fun a bit because the "hear His voice" phrase is often used in a very murky way. Do you mean, for example, that you hear an audible voice speaking to you from the air? Or maybe you mean you hear an actual voice inside your head? Some mean that a thought comes to mind that they believe has been prompted by God. Others are referring to a strong impression. And so on. What, exactly, do you mean when you say "I hear His voice clearly"?

Do you pray? Do you get an answer, or does God only answer us through the Scriptures? The Bible is also an instruction book, but not if you don't use it.

Yes, I pray. Do you?

Obviously, the answer God gives depends upon the nature of the prayer I make. An answer from Scripture is not going to be helpful if I've just asked Him to help me find my car keys. If I'm about to be eaten by a bear, my prayer for deliverance doesn't require a Bible passage springing to my mind. But, if I'm asking God for wisdom in how best to love my wife, or in talking to someone about the Gospel, God directing my thoughts to Scripture is very useful.

Yes, I know the Bible is full of instruction to believers. And I do use it often throughout every day. How about you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not so sure it is wise to assume that the existence of

many counterfeits is sufficient cause to reject the genuine.

This wasn't my sole reason for looking askance at someone telling me they have a "prophecy" for me from God. Not only is demonic counterfeit a distinct possibility with such "prophecies," but the Bible makes modern "prophecy" both redundant and unnecessary.

If this were practiced in general then the Gospel itself would be doomed to failure, wouldn't it?[/QUOTE

How so?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really? Does God have a rich tenor voice, then? Or perhaps He's a bass-voiced God.
I would describe it as as thunderous.......Most, when they hear it, tremble in fear, some ask that they never hear it again and to only direct communications through other men of God.....like the children of Israel did.

But let up not forget that we have multiple hearing devices....the one that hears our thoughts do not rely on air and vibrations passing the ear drum....

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I hear the Holy Spirit talking it's like my own thoughts just popping up, but at the same time I know it's not "my" thoughts, I know it's not from me but the "voice" of the Holy Spirit. One time the Holy Spirit came like a song in my heart. I never heard God speak vocally to me.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...the Bible makes modern "prophecy" both redundant and unnecessary.

Forgive me, but this just sounds more like an opinion than a Bible principle. The early Christians had only the Old Testament upon which to base their preaching of the Gospel. Perhaps this is why so many found New Testament prophecy "both redundant and unnecessary?"

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I hear the Holy Spirit talking it's like my own thoughts just popping up, but at the same time I know it's not "my" thoughts, I know it's not from me but the "voice" of the Holy Spirit. One time the Holy Spirit came like a song in my heart. I never heard God speak vocally to me.
Linguistic thoughts, are they?

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and continuing with describing my problem and ending with that I didn't have to worry and that God would help me.

are you saying that God has not helped you at all?
sometimes his help is not what we expect

in the Lord's prayer is "thy will be done"
answers are not always what we expect
"help" may not be what you expect

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me, but this just sounds more like an opinion than a Bible principle. The early Christians had only the Old Testament upon which to base their preaching of the Gospel. Perhaps this is why so many found New Testament prophecy "both redundant and unnecessary?"

Read my earlier posts in this thread.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Linguistic thoughts, are they?

Words, sentences, often verses from the Bible. Words of direction and guidance. Now this don't happen every day for me, more on rare occations, often when I'm desperate for help.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
are you saying that God has not helped you at all?

sometimes his help is not what we expect
I did not pray to become pregnant but did pray for a child
God led us to adoption

in the Lord's prayer is "thy will be done"
answers are not always what we expect
"help" may not be what you expect

I know God can help us in ways we didn't think of, but at this time I understood it as a specific answer to a problem. I don't know how God has helped me, He may have somehow, but in that case I haven't seen it.

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm sorry for my ignorance. And I'd be happy to apologize, but I'd need to know exactly how I've offended you in order to address that of which I should repent.

My intention was not to preach at all. I thought we were having a discussion. It seems to have become emotionally charged.

You have a problem with extra-biblical prophesying

No, I don't.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Really? Does God have a rich tenor voice, then? Or perhaps He's a bass-voiced God. I'm poking fun a bit because the "hear His voice" phrase is often used in a very murky way. Do you mean, for example, that you hear an audible voice speaking to your from the air? Or maybe you mean you hear an actual voice inside your head? Some mean that a thought comes to mind that they believe has been prompted by God. Others are referring to a strong impression. And so on. What, exactly, do you mean when you say "I hear His voice clearly"?

Yes, that does sound like mocking. I take it you don't know... Well, they are like thoughts, not audible with my ears, but they seem to sear through your mind and you never forget them. I also feel a little light headed, like getting goose bumps. Not always, but sometimes. For over 40 years He tells me what to pray, I pray His words, and the prayer is answered immediately. Or if not, He tells me to the day when it will come to pass.

An answer from Scripture is not going to be helpful if I've just asked Him to help me find my car keys.

My relationship with God is very personal and if I've lost my keys, I just tell God that I'm sure He knows where they are and could He direct my path to them. The very next thing I pick up, there are my keys under it. That goes for my wallet or purse too.

One time I was driving home on the interstate and it was raining so hard you could hardly see. He didn't ask me to pray for it to stop, only that it would stop by the time I got home and had to get out of my car. It poured all the way home until I got to my street, and it suddenly stopped. I parked and got out and it was dry. Got into the house and went straight to my office to check my email, looked out the window and it was pouring again. After that experience if it was raining it only started after I got into my car, and I would thank Him that He would make it stop when I got to work or home. I always stopped seconds before I got out. I didn't get rained on for over 10 years.

When I had pet cats there was one who always stayed out too late and I would have to go outside to call her. I would call and call and I couldn't find her. After about 45 minutes, God would simply say, "You know, I know where she is?" I would hit my head and say, "Of course You do, thank you. Please send her home" and I would walk back to the house, and when I reached the door the cat and I would go in together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
the Bible makes modern "prophecy" both redundant and unnecessary

No, the Bible gives instructions and examples of prophecies, which gift is very helpful in our everyday life, and church life. Especially forthtelling. Prophecy is also revelation on the right interpretation of Scripture from the Author Himself. I've learned more from one on ones with God, than I ever did in church.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't generally tell others I don't believe what they heard is from God, unless it's destructive or misguiding. I'm not here to tell anyone how God speaks to that person. All I know is how God speaks to me. Sometimes I know it's from God, other times not. If it doesn't fit with scripture it can't be from God.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is unwise to question what anyone says come from the Lord. If Abraham posted right now, saying that Lord told him to sacrifice his son....we'd all call him crazy....say the Lord wouldn't do that, and have the cops sent to his house. And we'd have no promise now....

Best to direct people back to the lord, rather than judge what is being said.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Really? Does God have a rich tenor voice, then? Or perhaps He's a bass-voiced God. I'm poking fun a bit because the "hear His voice" phrase is often used in a very murky way. Do you mean, for example, that you hear an audible voice speaking to your from the air? Or maybe you mean you hear an actual voice inside your head? Some mean that a thought comes to mind that they believe has been prompted by God. Others are referring to a strong impression. And so on. What, exactly, do you mean when you say "I hear His voice clearly"?

Yes, I pray. Do you?

Obviously, the answer God gives depends upon the nature of the prayer I make. An answer from Scripture is not going to be helpful if I've just asked Him to help me find my car keys. If I'm about to be eaten by a bear, my prayer for deliverance doesn't require a Bible passage springing to my mind. But, if I'm asking God for wisdom in how best to love my wife, or in talking to someone about the Gospel, God directing my thoughts to Scripture is very useful.

Yes, I know the Bible is full of instruction to believers. And I do use it often throughout every day. How about you?
Firstly, our set of car and door keys went missing for three days. I prayed and said, "Lord, you know where those keys are, and we need them." (We have a spare set). Three days later, they were lying on the floor right next to our upright freezer. What happened was that the "ginger ninja" (the photo up on the left) hooked them out from under the upright freezer where they had fallen. We would never have found them otherwise. I saw that as somewhat of a miracle.

About the bear. There is the story of a missionary confronted by a bear, and to his surprise, the bear knelt down, folded his hands in prayer. The missionary said, "I'm so glad that you are a Christian bear, and because I am a Christian missionary, I'm relieved that I am safe after all!" The bear said, "Don't bet on it. I was just saying grace!"

• Haha
Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't generally tell others I don't believe what they heard is from God, unless it's destructive or misguiding. I'm not here to tell anyone how God speaks to that person. All I know is how God speaks to me. Sometimes I know it's from God, other times not. If it doesn't fit with scripture it can't be from God.

Yes, I know what you mean. One lady told Stormie Omartian to tell me God was going to kill me, and asked her to tell me. Stormie called me, and apologetically did as she was asked, but I'm still alive. I never could work out who the woman was who told Stormie to tell me who could have had such influence over Stormie.

Wow, God just told me as I was typing the last sentence!!! Her best friend! Why didn't I think of her before? Back then she absolutely thought I was attracted to her husband, though she was paranoid of every young woman in the church. No wonder she tried to curse me with Ezekiel 6! That is wicked, and so untrue. Her husband wasn't my type even if he was single! Wow, wow, wow. I'm in awe! After all these years, now I know. Thank you, Lord! At least now it is down to one disturbed woman, instead of having to think about every woman in that church. Was it her? Was it her? Was it her? Does everybody hate me???

Yes, there are people to give false words and even scriptures as curses. But curses don't attach themselves to the innocent. Proverbs 26:2 "Like a flitting sparrow, like a flying swallow, So a curse without cause shall not alight.

But I'm not saying that about your woman. If that was a true word from God, pray and ask Him to confirm it was from Him. God might want you to abide by His word and have elders of your church to anoint you with oil. (James 5 read the chapter and maybe God will speak to you through it) After that - stand firm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I know what you mean. One lady told Stormie Omartian to tell me God was going to kill me, and asked her to tell me. Stormie called me, and apologetically did as she was asked, but I'm still alive. I never could work out who the woman was who told Stormie to tell me who could have had such influence over Stormie.

Wow, God just told me as I was typing the last sentence!!! Her best friend! Why didn't I think of her before? Back then she absolutely thought I was attracted to her husband, though she was paranoid of every young woman in the church. No wonder she tried to curse me with Ezekiel 6! That is wicked, and so untrue. Her husband wasn't my type even if he was single! Wow, wow, wow. I'm in awe! After all these years, now I know. Thank you, Lord! At least now it is down to one disturbed woman, instead of having to think about every woman in that church. Was it her? Was it her? Was it her? Does everybody hate me???

Yes, there are people to give false words and even scriptures as curses. But curses don't attach themselves to the innocent. Proverbs 26:2 "Like a flitting sparrow, like a flying swallow, So a curse without cause shall not alight.

But I'm not saying that about your woman. If that was a true word from God, pray and ask Him to confirm it was from Him. God might want you to abide by His word and have elders of your church to anoint you with oil. (James 5 read the chapter and maybe God will speak to you through it) After that - stand firm.
It is quite obvious to me that the word totally contradicts the Scriptures and is right against the nature and character of God. I can quite confidently say that it was a demonic lying spirit that inspired the woman. To keep yourself safe, it is best to reject it completely and plead the power of the blood of Jesus to protect you from any spirit of divination that is attached to that word that might attack you.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
It is quite obvious to me that the word totally contradicts the Scriptures and is right against the nature and character of God. I can quite confidently say that it was a demonic lying spirit that inspired the woman. To keep yourself safe, it is best to reject it completely and plead the power of the blood of Jesus to protect you from any spirit of divination that is attached to that word that might attack you.

Thanks Oscarr. I never accepted it, but was more hurt than anything else and feeling rejected and misunderstood. On another occasion, Stormie was with her friend when she approached me about her husband. That is how I know that woman was jealous, but I never put two and two together until tonight when God gave me that revelation! I didn't want to hurt the woman so I didn't tell her that I thought her husband wore the skirts in their family, and would never in a million years be my type!

I know a bit about curses, and even Paul did them. That is why we must watch our words. I also know that the only time they stick is if the curse is deserved. I know this the hard way. I helped a friend who was always making very bad financial decisions when she lost her apartment, and I told her and her son to come stay with me for a while. After I lost my home and my job because of her, and she never recognized or acknowledged any liability and she and I became estranged, I went to counseling at church because I was angry with her, and with God too because I was doing a good deed. During the session I just blurted out, "I just wish she would lose everything and see how it feels." Immediately she started losing everything. She couldn't find another job and her new baby she had from a one night stand living at my home (another story) got sick. I hadn't talked to her for a long time, but one day God spoke to me and told me I had put a curse on her. I didn't even realize Christians could do that. Anyway, I called her and told her what God said, and what I had said in a counseling session. She was angry at that, but then I told her I wanted to come to her place and verbally take the curse off and place a blessing upon her. She agreed, and afterwards, she immediately found a job after 9 months, and her child got well.

This woman never made better decisions and one day I saw a vision. It was of me and her on a cliff with a forest in the background. The vantage point was looking at the cliff with the sea below. She was standing a few inches from the edge and I was standing about 10 feet away from the edge. God spoke in the vision and said, "You cannot prevent her from falling." Then she fell and grabbed onto a small tree growing out of the side of the cliff. Then God spoke again and said, "You cannot throw her a rope." A few years later I was with her at a church meeting where a visiting prophet spoke and called her on stage. He told her God said, "No more bandaids." He didn't know her from Adam, but he was so accurate. I know you don't believe in these things, but I live with the supernatural of God all the time. I hope you find a good full gospel church in your new area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that does sound like mocking. I take it you don't know...

Don't know what?

Well, they are like thoughts, not audible with my ears, but they seem to sear through your mind and you never forget them.

And how do you know these aren't merely your own thoughts, your own inner voice? I know schizophrenics who hear very powerful, penetrating voices. How is what you describe different from what they hear?

I also feel a little light headed, like getting goose bumps.

And this means God is talking because...?

For over 40 years He tells me what to pray, I pray His words, and the prayer is answered immediately.

Yes, I do the same with the words He's given to me in Scripture. And I don't need any voice in my head to do so - just the voice of God in the pages of my Bible.

Or if not, He tells me to the day when it will come to pass.

I'll just have to take your word for it that this is so...

My relationship with God is very personal and if I've lost my keys, I just tell God that I'm sure He knows where they are and could He direct my path to them. The very next thing I pick up, there are my keys under it. That goes for my wallet or purse too.

Yes, this happens for me, too. But this wasn't my point.

Upvote 0