Good Lenses to get for Canon Rebel XTi?????

DanC922

Dec 18, 2004
Wichita, Kansas
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The first lens a lot of people get is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. It's not a zoom lens, so it's not as versatile, but it's a fantastic lens for its price. It's very sharp and is a great low-light lens because of its ability to open the aperture up to f/1.8. They're $75-$80.

For a good walkaround lens with wider range, the Canon 28-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens is good. It has a fairly quick focus and sharpness, and the Image Stabilization allows you to stop down a couple aperture stops. They are about $350.

If you want to break into the high end Canon L lenses cheaply, the Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens is great. It's known to be a very sharp and quick focusing lens, as you can expect from the Canon L line of lenses. Oh, and it's white so you look super cool with it. :D They are about $550.

It's not a lens, but I would highly recommend a battery grip. The Opteka battery grip for the XTi is made from the same mold as the Canon one and costs much less. You can put 2 batteries in it and it makes the camera MUCH more comfortable and steady to hold, especially if you put bigger lenses on it. The Opteka battery grip is about $75-$80. I would suggest putting Sterlingtek batteries in it. They have been proven to be fantastic quality batteries that are higher power capacity than Canon's, and at about $10 each, they cost a fraction as much.

On the educational side of things, head on over to http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ . It's a forum for Canon owners packed with everyone from long-time professionals to people brand new to photography. I've learned a ton from the people there, and I'm sure you can too. :)

Upvote 0

Lia

Be Thou My Vision
Jan 12, 2004
Greeley, CO
✟16,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you want to break into the high end Canon L lenses cheaply, the Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens is great. It's known to be a very sharp and quick focusing lens, as you can expect from the Canon L line of lenses. Oh, and it's white so you look super cool with it. :D They are about $550.

Where would you get the 70-200mm f/4 for only $550? Last time I checked they are at least $1,100. If you do know where to get them for 550 - I'd like to know where I can get them! LOL

Upvote 0

DanC922

Dec 18, 2004
Wichita, Kansas
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

Where would you get the 70-200mm f/4 for only $550? Last time I checked they are at least $1,100. If you do know where to get them for 550 - I'd like to know where I can get them! LOL

That price is about right for the f/4L IS or the f/2.8L. The non-IS f/4L is around $550. :)

Upvote 0

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all I HIGHTLY recommend what danc922 said about getting the battery grip. Your camera will feel MUCH more comfortable, last MUCH longer, and it also makes it look like a higher end Canon body. lol :) That was the first thing I got for my camera.

As for lenses, it mostly depends upon what you will be shooting the most and what you will be using your pictures for. The only lenses I have are the Sigma 10-20mm, kit Canon 18-55, and the Sigma 50-500mm for shooting aircraft. I hardly ever use the Canon lens and am constantly switching between the two Sigma lenses.

For me I much prefer to have a zoom lens for my applications. My subjects are constantly moving towards or away from me. If your subjects are mostly static or within a pretty consistant distance one with less zoom (or none at all) may be the best choice for you. An example would be photographing sports. you know within what range everybody will be and you can purchase your lens according to that range. If you're mostly going to be photographing friends or family, you'll be able to judge that range more as well.

Since your first starting out I think you will be a bit happier with something you can zoom. From there you will be able to determine what features you like/use the most and purchase your next lens accordingly.

Also, think of all of your camera equipment as an investment. Try to purchase the absolute best lens your buget will allow because many times in the world of cameras you truly do get what you pay for.

Most of all, if you see something online that seems too good to be true, IT IS! There are hundreds of horror stories around the internet of peole being ripped off. So just be careful. :) Some of the places I love to shop are Sigma4Less.com, BHPhotovideo.com and keh.com.

When you narrow down your selection to a couple of lenses you MUST visit dpreview.com! They have outstanding reviews (user and professional) of all digital equipment.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First of all I HIGHTLY recommend what danc922 said about getting the battery grip. Your camera will feel MUCH more comfortable, last MUCH longer, and it also makes it look like a higher end Canon body. lol :) That was the first thing I got for my camera.

As for lenses, it mostly depends upon what you will be shooting the most and what you will be using your pictures for. The only lenses I have are the Sigma 10-20mm, kit Canon 18-55, and the Sigma 50-500mm for shooting aircraft. I hardly ever use the Canon lens and am constantly switching between the two Sigma lenses.

For me I much prefer to have a zoom lens for my applications. My subjects are constantly moving towards or away from me. If your subjects are mostly static or within a pretty consistant distance one with less zoom (or none at all) may be the best choice for you. An example would be photographing sports. you know within what range everybody will be and you can purchase your lens according to that range. If you're mostly going to be photographing friends or family, you'll be able to judge that range more as well.

Since your first starting out I think you will be a bit happier with something you can zoom. From there you will be able to determine what features you like/use the most and purchase your next lens accordingly.

Also, think of all of your camera equipment as an investment. Try to purchase the absolute best lens your buget will allow because many times in the world of cameras you truly do get what you pay for.

Most of all, if you see something online that seems too good to be true, IT IS! There are hundreds of horror stories around the internet of peole being ripped off. So just be careful. :) Some of the places I love to shop are Sigma4Less.com, BHPhotovideo.com and keh.com.

When you narrow down your selection to a couple of lenses you MUST visit dpreview.com! They have outstanding reviews (user and professional) of all digital equipment.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)
Thanks a ton!!

Upvote 0

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Also, you might want to keep into Sigma glass. EX series glass can be had for about 1/2 the price of Canon glass. I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and the Canon 10-22mm wide angle. Canon L glass is probably too much pain on the wallet for an Xti body right now.

Upvote 0

Cotmweasel

Riverlife Intern
Mar 13, 2007
Allen, TX
✟9,531.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
On the educational side of things, head on over to http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ . It's a forum for Canon owners packed with everyone from long-time professionals to people brand new to photography. I've learned a ton from the people there, and I'm sure you can too. :)

Thats what I was going to tell him lol. Are you a member of Photography on the net? (I use my same screen name over there)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums