America
✟539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, my name is Reborn Guy I've been wondering if white hat hacking is a sin. Because romans 1.30, says that inventors of evil things will not inherent heaven. So I don't know if that implies to me if I do pentesting, or use malware to find bad guys for money to turn them in. Because malware can be used for bad things, or good things but in my case, am planning to use it to do justice instead of injustice.

Pentesting: A penetration test, colloquially known as a pentest or ethical hacking, is an authorized simulated cyberattack on a computer system, performed to evaluate the security of the system; this is not to be confused with a vulnerability assessment. The test is performed to identify weaknesses (or vulnerabilities), including the potential for unauthorized parties to gain access to the system's features and data, as well as strengths, enabling a full risk assessment to be completed.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the forum @RebornGuy . It will eventually be used by both sides. Paul counted his whole past as dung. Think of what more you’ll gain, if you let it go. If you get rich it’s endangering. My take on the scriptures.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you have authorization from the organization that you're doing the testing on -- say, from the head of the IT department, or something similar? If so, I'd say that's okay; it's not very different in spirit from testing software, which we all do all the time with the software we write.

If you don't have authorization, that's fishier. I don't think I'd be happy about you breaking into my computer system, if nobody said it was okay for you to do it.

The rule of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" covers this situation well, I think.

Upvote 0

RebornGuy

Oct 20, 2023
America
✟539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to the forum @RebornGuy . It will eventually be used by both sides. Paul counted his whole past as dung. Think of what more you’ll gain, if you let it go. If you get rich it’s endangering. My take on the scriptures.
What, do you mean by this Brother I don't understand.

Upvote 0

RebornGuy

Oct 20, 2023
America
✟539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have authorization from the organization that you're doing the testing on -- say, from the head of the IT department, or something similar? If so, I'd say that's okay; it's not very different in spirit from testing software, which we all do all the time with the software we write.

If you don't have authorization, that's fishier. I don't think I'd be happy about you breaking into my computer system, if nobody said it was okay for you to do it.

The rule of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" covers this situation well, I think.
Yes, Authorization is the key, that's what I will be doing with company's with authorization. But I have another question from you is it sinful to catch bad guys like Hamas or the Cartel on Tiktok, by hacking them and turning them in to the authorities. Or helping Israel with the war against Hamas by being a cyber militia

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, Authorization is the key, that's what I will be doing with company's with authorization. But I have another question from you is it sinful to catch bad guys like Hamas or the Cartel on Tiktok, by hacking them and turning them in to the authorities. Or helping Israel with the war against Hamas by being a cyber militia
Sounds to me like you're putting your talents to use to do good.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

There's not going to be a definitive Bible verse to guide you here, I don't think. So we may just have to fall back on human wisdom. Which also doesn't give me a firm yes or no, but here are some of my thoughts.

Good points:
1) In general, catching criminals and preventing them from committing further crimes is good.
2) I like that you envision turning them in to the authorities, rather than taking personal revenge.

Bad points:
1) I'd feel better if you got pre-authorization from the authorities. Private citizens acting to catch criminals on their own makes me nervous. Governments are imperfect, but at least they have some accountability to the electorate.
2) Cybersecurity isn't my specialty, so I'm not sure exactly what actions you'd be performing while breaking in, but I'd keep an eye on how damaging your actions are during the break-in. Do you have to deceive? Steal a physical or virtual object? Damage someone else's computer system in some way? There are moral tradeoffs here, but don't go overboard with using evil means to accomplish good ends.

I don't fully know what the answer to all this is, but these are some things I would think about if I were considering the career you're embarking on. To some extent, the moral calculation is similar to the moral calculations in joining the police force, the FBI, or the military. How much violence is justified when stopping violence? though here, the violence is cyber rather than physical. Different Christians will find different points of balance here.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello, my name is Reborn Guy I've been wondering if white hat hacking is a sin. Because romans 1.30, says that inventors of evil things will not inherent heaven. So I don't know if that implies to me if I do pentesting, or use malware to find bad guys for money to turn them in. Because malware can be used for bad things, or good things but in my case, am planning to use it to do justice instead of injustice.

Pentesting: A penetration test, colloquially known as a pentest or ethical hacking, is an authorized simulated cyberattack on a computer system, performed to evaluate the security of the system; this is not to be confused with a vulnerability assessment. The test is performed to identify weaknesses (or vulnerabilities), including the potential for unauthorized parties to gain access to the system's features and data, as well as strengths, enabling a full risk assessment to be completed.
-
The question is, do you understand that inherent is not the same a entering. Inherent is connected to rewards that believers will receive, meaning if you do not inherent heaven, you will not receive rewards related to heaven, that is treasures in heaven.

Upvote 0

RebornGuy

Oct 20, 2023
America
✟539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-
The question is, do you understand that inherent is not the same a entering. Inherent is connected to rewards that believers will receive, meaning if you do not inherent heaven, you will not receive rewards related to heaven, that is treasures in heaven.
No, I didn't know that thank you for telling me that Taylor I appreciate it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Because malware can be used for bad things, or good things but in my case, am planning to use it to do justice instead of injustice.
I sold knives for over 20 years. A knife can be used for good or evil to harm people. A surgeon can use a knife to remove disease so the body can heal itself. A butcher can use a knife to prepare our dinner. A carpenter can use a knife to build a home to live in to shelter us from the strorms of life. Science in and of itself is neutral. It can be used for good, life, health and healing. Or science is said to have the power for mass destruction.

I use to get large groups of 12 year old boys who wanted me to explain this to them. The choice we make in life. In the beginning many people told me it was evil to sell knives because people use knives to harm each other. But I knew a knife can be used for good. As a carpenter we needed the right tools to get the job done. So I have put a lot of thought into this.

• Winner
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,727.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

0f850fba0aced026357cca14c3afc50b_(4).gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The clue for your answer is in the question. White hat hacking is not Black hat hacking. I see what you are talking about in terms of following the trails of poison in the waters back to their source with a view to destroying the source which could harm those who drink the waters. It serves a protective and benevolent purpose that protects property, information quality, and maybe in some circumstances even life. Human authority is mainly required and it is safer to operate inside prescribed limits with prescribed authorization but there are circumstances when the authorities themselves are compromised and cannot tell good from evil. For most Westerners, this is not an issue though and the authorities are not acting deliberately evil but are rather more ambiguous. I would not recommend taking on the NSA, etc.

Regarding Hamas, they have proven their character by the murder of the innocent and by using their own people as human shields. Their extermination is a necessary good and since their main threat is an idea rather than as a military force (they will be defeated in Gaza) the cyber world is a necessary front in the war to purge the well of their poison. But there are already national actors dedicated to their elimination and I wonder if freelancers sometimes get in the way.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

If Jesus was sitting beside you, would you do it? The other question is: how would that show people that Jesus suffered and died on the cross to take away the penalty for their sins and to give them eternal life? How would it be of service to the members of your church? Those are the questions you need to consider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums