God's Calling in your singleness

bella_song

May 7, 2006
Visit site
✟14,816.00
Since for this moment in time at least, God is calling us in this forum to be single, I wanted to pose a question. What are you doing with or during your singleness, how are you using this period of your life to serve God and serve others? What is God using you to do or doing in you during this time that would not be possible if you were married? Are you using this time well/wisely or is it being wasted on wishing for a mate?

Meditate on these thoughts and respond if you feel led, but you don't need to. This has just been on my heart for a while now.

Reactions: RED that's ME

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
I think my being single is more of the Devil than of God.

Well that is the way it feels. And also that seems to be part of an answer from God. I don't have the computer time left to go into enough detail. But just as the devil may well be behind my singleness he was also behind the crucifixion of Jesus.(when he entered Judas) And we know that at least some good came out of that. So maybe some good will come out of my present suffering. I don't think God is calling me to be single. I think He is calling me to somehow overcome.

Upvote 0

Cordelia

Temperamental Girl of God
Apr 14, 2004
Leeds, United Kingdom
✟10,155.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Since for this moment in time at least, God is calling us in this forum to be single, I wanted to pose a question. What are you doing with or during your singleness, how are you using this period of your life to serve God and serve others? What is God using you to do or doing in you during this time that would not be possible if you were married? Are you using this time well/wisely or is it being wasted on wishing for a mate?

Meditate on these thoughts and respond if you feel led, but you don't need to. This has just been on my heart for a while now.
Thanks for posing these important questions, bella_song! I think too many single Christians overlook them, or stubbornly choose to ignore them. In the process they risk making an idol out of some elusive future marriage and also NOT doing things with their lives that might actually bring them and a mate together.

I'm doing so much these days that I couldn't possibly do if I was married or even in a relationship, I believe. I'm also growing and maturing into the sort of woman I hope some lovely man would be proud to marry someday :p

Upvote 0

MarkEvan

Senior Veteran
Jun 15, 2006
Manchester
✟19,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hurray someone who thinks the same as me! I would agree completely that too many people are so preoccupied with getting into a relationship that they forget they have a relationship with God..a relationship that should come above all others. Paul himself said that if we are not married we should not seek to be married even saying that it is better to remain single. If we remain focused on our relationship with God then He will look after us.

Mark :)

Upvote 0

joyouspirit

I love my mikey!
Apr 28, 2006
USA
✟12,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I joined months ago the music ministry in our church. It was great, and just last Sunday we started a youth ministry where the songs were mostly contemporary christian songs which I have passion for. So it was awesome, assisting the worship leaders and together playing music for the Lord. IT WAS AWESSSSSSSSSOOMMMMMMMMEE!

God bless!!!:wave:

Upvote 0

sherri

Mar 20, 2004
✟10,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks bella-song. This one really spoke to me and I realised I haven't been focusing on the stuff God's told me to the way that I should have been. I've let myself get distracted.

:) thanks

Upvote 0

Highland Watchman

Keeping watch from my ebony tower
Sep 24, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟9,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Aye. Distractions abound, and there is lots of opportunities to mope about it.

For me, right now, I have travelled to the other side of the world, where I am teaching English and preaching occasionally. And right now, I am debating between two really sweet looking options for ministry. Both are pastoral positions, but one is in a larger, more established church, and the ministry already exists, and the other is establishing an English service in a smaller church. Thing is, I don't know if any of it would be possible if I was married... Or maybe it is, but I am just not seeing that part of it.

Upvote 0

Renewme

Oct 27, 2006
PA
✟8,239.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hurray someone who thinks the same as me! I would agree completely that too many people are so preoccupied with getting into a relationship that they forget they have a relationship with God..a relationship that should come above all others. Paul himself said that if we are not married we should not seek to be married even saying that it is better to remain single. If we remain focused on our relationship with God then He will look after us.

Mark :)

Agree! ;)

I have never entered into a relationship with the Lord like I have this past year. I will not be turning back either. I don't think God would allow me too either..He worked too hard over this hand-full ;)

The transformation started at a break-up. As it usually does, I must admit. But this time, my world was ripped underneath of me and I said, enough is enough..I give up and I want you to take over. Completely.

I said to Him...I want you to MAKE ME someone that I would want to marry. And I will not entertain the thoughts of it until I am that person. I don't care what it takes. MAke me someone you would see fit to marry. Little did I know that what it took, was to focus my everything on Him and peel my eyes off what it was I 'wanted.'

I remember that day soooo clearly. I remember the statement...the tears and the realization that I wasn't even happy with myself...let alone this lie I was 'creating in my head'. I said that as if it were a challenge to God.

And He stood to that challenge. This time He was ten times more serious than I had ever sensed before in my life. I really got the feeling that He was telling me "It will be this time around. This time, we will get it right." I had to prove my sincerity.

I have never been so bruised and beaten. So challenged and shaped. So uncomfortable and uncertain. So new to this. So frightened and unconfident.

But I have never been so blessed in all my life. Blessed with new friends whom I can freely and openly fellowship with. Blessed with my confidence in the Lord. Blessed in my state of mind. Blessed with my steady pace...and being okay with that. Blessed with someone to come home to every night...His Presence. Blessed to have the time to learn and love it. Blessed to have all the details work out in time, in order and in His will. Whether good or bad.

Blessed to SEE IT HAPPENING! And to prepare to SEE IT for the rest of my life single or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TriptychR

Investigative Retorter
Jul 3, 2004
Western New York
✟10,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really it comes down do we REALLY trust God with our life & futures and also are we REALLY content where he has us right now for whatever reason, as scripture tells us we should be.

This is the part of my struggle I've realized I need to focus on. I've been having trouble putting my trust in God for my life because I feel nothing has been happening in it. Either I don't see what's going on or I'm not doing something. The only thing I know for sure is that it's a problem to me.

Upvote 0
This is the part of my struggle I've realized I need to focus on. I've been having trouble putting my trust in God for my life because I feel nothing has been happening in it. Either I don't see what's going on or I'm not doing something. The only thing I know for sure is that it's a problem to me.

It's a lesson we ALL struggle with, I know I do. We all like being in control of our situations. :)

Upvote 0

bella_song

May 7, 2006
Visit site
✟14,816.00
This has been my on and off struggle for a long time. I do not want to waste this time that I am given as a single person. I know that God is giving me this time for a reason and that He is giving me things to do right now that I won't be able to do when I am married. But unfortunately, I do spend too much time wishing for a husband and feeling lonely, but singleness is a gift, a good gift from God and I keep trying to remember that.

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm involved with various ministries, to youth, children, homeless, and peers. I am working on growing myself, healing myself, becoming more who God wants me to be. I am involved with a Toastmasters group to improve my communication skills, and seeing a counsiller to. . . well, I haven't figured out what I'm there for yet...but to find any problems with myself that I'm unaware of so I can then procceed to fix them. :)

I think a lot of this could honestly be done as a married person but it's probably in my and my future husband/kids best interest to deal with some of these things now. As far as ministry, I would not have as much time to devote to these things if I was in a relationship, unless of course the other person was also involved in the same ministries. Lately I've been wondering if I'd even be able to sustain a relationship presently because of my lack of time as I'm involved in so many things but then again, I'm partially involved with these things because I am single and need something constructive to do with my time :) I'm sure I would make time for another person if there was one, somehow. . . I think. There are even more ministry opportunities and callings on my life that I think won't be fufilled until I am married.

Seek first his kingdom and righteousness and all these things will be added unto you as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lol B4A

I heard a minister say once, that if you aren't serving as a single, you probably won't after you are married either. So I think it's important to be in the habit of serving God now, so that no matter what happens in my life I'm committed to serving God and putting Him first.

Upvote 0

TriptychR

Investigative Retorter
Jul 3, 2004
Western New York
✟10,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm involved with various ministries, to youth, children, homeless, and peers. I am working on growing myself, healing myself, becoming more who God wants me to be. I am involved with a Toastmasters group to improve my communication skills, and seeing a counsiller to. . . well, I haven't figured out what I'm there for yet...but to find any problems with myself that I'm unaware of so I can then procceed to fix them. :)

These are all really great things, but what if none of them exist where you live? What can you do then?

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are all really great things, but what if none of them exist where you live? What can you do then?
Do you live under a rock?

lol, sorry.

I don't know, but I believe there are options for anyone who is seeking growth and change in their life. But you might have to really seek them out. God won't neccessarily drop those things in your lap.

Upvote 0

joanna1

Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
✟18,877.00
Faith
Christian
There is an absolutely tremendous need for money to support humanitarian workers and missionaries abroad. There is a big need for people to work hard, earn money and support people doing God's work.

Upvote 0