Visit site
✟10,946.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I challenge all of you to list what you believe to be entertainment, in any form, being ungodly and/or sinful. It can either be things you suspect or are certain of that are relative to you but not relative to others, or things that you observe that others may like and not yourself. Topics can include movies, games, books, places, lifestyles, ect. Please make one post and give a defense why and how you came to that conclusion. After a certain number of posts I will call for everyone to begin discussing/debating this issue. Show respect for others.

I hope this can maybe be enlightening for people.

WadeWilson

Say hello to my widdle friend.
Feb 9, 2010
Sunshine State... Arghhhh! It burns us!
✟8,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the majority of entertainment is inherently sinful, but I believe that virtually anything can be used for or against God. For instance, I don't think watching Gilligan's Island is inherently sinful, I also don't think watching Gilligans Island is inherently God-filled either. But if you idolize the show or the characters, and put them before God, it becomes sinful. Or you can use the experiences in the show to help understand working a small group or community (say a church community) a little better. As long as the entertainment is not exploitative or blasphemous I think this probably holds true.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I challenge all of you to list what you believe to be entertainment, in any form, being ungodly and/or sinful. It can either be things you suspect or are certain of that are relative to you but not relative to others, or things that you observe that others may like and not yourself. Topics can include movies, games, books, places, lifestyles, ect. Please make one post and give a defense why and how you came to that conclusion. After a certain number of posts I will call for everyone to begin discussing/debating this issue. Show respect for others.

I hope this can maybe be enlightening for people.
I find the sanctimonious pontificating on CF mildly amusing & I feel a hint of shame about that.:blush:

Upvote 0

one11

Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Blood sports such as raising fighting [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] or dogs to tear each other to bloody pieces in a fight to the death so people can place a bet and win blood money. That's about as kindly as I can put this because it's disgusting

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Movies or books that deprive any of the characters within them of hope for redemption. God has given us redemption, and there is always hope, so we shouldn't want to read books or watch movies that take redemption from any of the characters.
Personally I think Country Music is an affront to all nature... :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think the majority of entertainment is inherently sinful, but I believe that virtually anything can be used for or against God. For instance, I don't think watching Gilligan's Island is inherently sinful, I also don't think watching Gilligans Island is inherently God-filled either. But if you idolize the show or the characters, and put them before God, it becomes sinful. Or you can use the experiences in the show to help understand working a small group or community (say a church community) a little better. As long as the entertainment is not exploitative or blasphemous I think this probably holds true.

The above pretty much aligns with my beliefs on the issue.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Blood sports such as raising fighting [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] or dogs to tear each other to bloody pieces in a fight to the death so people can place a bet and win blood money. That's about as kindly as I can put this because it's disgusting
that stuff is nothing short of satanic. Heck people may disagree with me on this but I also think that humans fighting brutally for sport is also evil (e.g. cage fighting, etc.).

I do believe that a lot of entertainment can lead us to sin though, so I guess it's not a bad idea to be careful about what we choose. When it's the secular world providing us the entertainment, I guess it's not a bad idea to exercise caution in seeking that entertainment, but that's just me.

Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thing is; people use entertainment to bring pleasure, adventure or escape into their lives. It is easy to loose oneself in the pursuit of these and cause us to rely on entertainment for helping us to feel better or fill a void in our life. We should be turning to God and the bible for these things. Even sports can keep us from doing God’s will. People can look forward to a big game or even multiple games being played on a Sunday when we should be focusing on the Lord this day. Do we choose God or some other event?

With that said, it seems to me that there are also a lot of evil, sinful things being promoted through media, including video games. The explosion of technology has fostered this like never before (on the other side of the coin good has also been fostered) These do nothing I believe but build a de-sensitization if you will for good, merciful and God glorifying things. An indication of the time period in which we are living.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums