Godfire - a Word Study

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Have you had the Baptism with the Holy Spirit?
Steven, I have prayed about it and asked the Lord to lead me in this which I"m not sure of.

I said to the Lord that if you are giving this out, I want it.

I have left in the hands of the Lord and as of yet no, I have not received it.

I have not pushed it because I see nowhere in scripture where someone asked and received. It always came from the Lord by some apostle without them even knowing what it was.

I am certain if it is still in effect, the Lord will see that I receive.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That was in reference to the gift of tongues. See #3 in my list below.
The Baptism with the Holy Spirit initiates #1, #2 and #4. And potentially #3 and #5.

Five Different Uses of Tongues
1)
Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
2) Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in our spirit
3) Prophetic ministry language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
4) Singing in our spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
5) Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)
i believe the Spirit did in Paul's time initiate all 5.

Of course Paul gave some guidelines of proper use.

I would have to dig up my notes on the subject but I believe there is more than 5 uses of of tongues.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Steven, I have prayed about it and asked the Lord to lead me in this which I"m not sure of.

I have not pushed it because I see nowhere in scripture where someone asked and received. It always came from the Lord by some apostle without them even knowing what it was.

I was directed to give you this scripture before I read your post.
The plan was to add it to the post you quoted.

On that basis, I would say you have received what you have asked for.
Be prepared to walk in the manifestations as God directs.
PM me if you want me to give testimony of how this has worked in my life.

Or, in short, listen to what God's voice tells you to do.
He may ask you to do things you have never done before.
But you can do them confidently, knowing he gives the power to do it.

Luke 11:13
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would have to dig up my notes on the subject but I believe there is more than 5 uses of of tongues.
I agree.
Someone suggested adding Warfare Prayer to the list. (I should have)
If you have more to add, I would love to see your ideas. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree.
Someone suggested adding Warfare Prayer to the list. (I should have)
If you have more to add, I would love to see your ideas. Thanks.
This was many years ago, but I do remember the list having sub-categories.

In fact some of your list I recognized as subs.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's a great series on the subject.

Brad Jersak - Tuning in to the God Who Speaks - Part 1 ("Call, and I will answer, Really!") - February 8, 2013
Brad teaches that anyone can learn to hear God's voice through the simple practice of "listening prayer." Those who begin to listen will find out that God's love will heal wounded hearts and empower them to heal this broken world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This was many years ago, but I do remember the list having sub-categories.

In fact some of your list I recognized as subs.
There are many ways of looking at this. This is only my view.

Here is how @Hillsage views tongues.
I like how he divides tongues into two sources.
And then simplifies their purposes/application.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are TWO SOURCES of tongues.
1. MY SPIRIT (1Co 14:14)
2. THE HOLY SPIRIT (1Co 12:11)

There are THREE PURPOSSES of tongues.

1. Self edification. (1Cor 14:4)
2. Church edification. (1Cor 14:4, 5)
3. World edification. (Acts 2:8)

There are three categories of tongues with three purposes.

1. Prayer tongues, FROM MY SPIRIT (1Cor 14:14) PRAYING to God, as I will, for SELF- EDIFICATION (1Cor 14:4) (angelic/spiritual/heavenly language).

2. Tongues WITH interpretation FROM THE Holy Spirit and manifested individually, as HE wills, for CHURCH EDIFICATION (unknown language to giver AND interpreter, but MAY be a known tongue of man). Tongues with interpretation is 2 gifts equal to prophecy (1Cor 14:5). (Spiritual/heavenly but also tongues of man/earthly)

3. Tongues WITHOUT interpretation FROM THE Holy Spirit for ministry of the gospel for WORLD EDIFICATION. Known languages of man, unknown to giver, known to receiver (Acts 2:8).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There are many ways of looking at this. This is only my view.
I studied at BJU many years ago where I studied this in I think 3 different semesters.

I earned a (BTh) which covered the entire Bible.

From years of failure to use this on my part, I have forgotten much of it.

I still have tons of notes and books stuffed away, which I haven't seen in over twenty years.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I studied at BJU many years ago where I studied this in I think 3 different semesters.

I earned a (BTh) which covered the entire Bible.

From years of failure to use this on my part, I have forgotten much of it.

I still have tons of notes and books stuffed away, which I haven't seen in over twenty years.
My parents met at Bob Jones. (in the 1950s)

I didn't attend Bible college. I went to Tech school to get a trade instead.

But frankly, I think that would be a pretty poor source for information about tongues and manifestations of the Holy Spirit. There's a big difference between putting the Bible under a microscope to learn about the gifts compared to walking in the gifts and power of the Holy Spirit in real life.

In fact it is a pioneering work. There is precious little instruction provided in the Bible. If the Corinthians hadn't been swinging from the chandeliers, we wouldn't have half of what we do have in two chapters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My parents met at Bob Jones. (in the 1950s)

I didn't attend Bible college. I went to Tech school to get a trade instead.

But frankly, I think that would be a pretty poor source for information about tongues and manifestations of the Holy Spirit. There's a big difference between putting the Bible under a microscope to learn about the gifts compared to walking in the gifts and power of the Holy Spirit in real life.

In fact it is a pioneering work. There is precious little instruction provided in the Bible. If the Corinthians hadn't been swinging from the chandeliers, we wouldn't have half of what we do have in two chapters.
Reading behind Jimmy Swaggart is where I learned the real in's and out's on this subject. I have his set of commentary.

I don't agree with some of it, but anything I can't prove beyond reasonable doubt in scripture sparks my interest.

I'm very careful about anything that is not revealed in scripture on any subject. Get to far from the inspired word, such as personal experience, you are drifting into uncharted waters. I do not want and will not go there.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading behind Jimmy Swaggart is where I learned the real in's and out's on this subject. I have his set of commentary.

I don't agree with some of it, but anything I can't prove beyond reasonable doubt in scripture sparks my interest.

I'm very careful about anything that is not revealed in scripture on any subject. Get to far from the inspired word, such as personal experience, you are drifting into uncharted waters. I do not want and will not go there.
I agree for the most part.
However in my experience with manifestations of the Spirit, God requires us to step out in faith when his directives are clear. For instance...

God may direct me (in "loud" voice) to talk to someone out in public. A person I have never met before. When I ask him what I am supposed to say to them I get no response. Since I am certain of what he wants me to do, I am obedient to it.

When I begin to speak to them God gives me what to say. It usually leads to praying with them. But sometimes it is spiritual counsel. Which also happens as a matter of course in casual conversations in public.

Mark 13:11
Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Charlie24
Here is an experiment you can try. It's called a Treasure Hunt.
It is based on the secular game, where you go as a group to find things to win the game.
But this requires spiritual discernment. (a manifestation of the Holy Spirit)

Take a sheet of paper and write down the first thing that pops into your head to answer these questions. Don't worry about what comes to you or over-analyze them.

1) Envision a public place in your community. Somewhere you could go where people are.
2) Envision a person. What gender, age, nationality, color/type of clothing, hair color, or other personal feature.
3) Envision a need. Are they sick or injured? Do they need something? Be as specific as you can.

Take your list to the place in #1 and find them.
Politely tell them what you are doing (treasure hunt) and see if #3 fits.
Show them the list so they can see what you wrote.
If so, pray with them, or help them in some way.

By prepared to roll with whatever happens. What you wrote in number 1 and 2 may be the only thing you discerned correctly. But you have made contact. Admit to them that you got #3 wrong and ask what they do need. (you got #1 and #2 right) They will probably be open to talk to you.

I have been in the situation where I cannot find the person described in #2. On my way out the door the cashier asked me if I found what I was looking for. I thought that was hilarious and began to laugh. I explained to her what we were doing and she totally understood and thought it was a cool thing. When I went to walk out the door, God sent me back to pray with this women. That was the mission.

Let me know how it goes for you.
This actually works best as a group activity.
Find two others who are filled with the Spirit to participate.
Take the time to go to all three locations. Something will come of it.

• Winner
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Dear young Charlie: Many moons ago, after being grasped by the Lord Jesus Christ for the first time, there came a deep cry within for the anointing of the Spirit. I had keys to the wee Gospel Church that made it possible to spend whole nights in fervent prayer all alone with Him, many nights falling asleep at the altar.

Nothing but more hunger and desperation!

Two years went by, the hunger became almost unbearable. As I was walking to work one day I asked the Lord to make it possible to tell Him how much I loved Him.

Do you know what a torrent is?

For two solid weeks the torrent of heavenly tongues filled me.

IN > > > WITH > > > UPON

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear young Charlie: Many moons ago, after being grasped by the Lord Jesus Christ for the first time, there came a deep cry within for the anointing of the Spirit. I had keys to the wee Gospel Church that made it possible to spend whole nights in fervent prayer all alone with Him, many nights falling asleep at the altar.

Nothing but more hunger and desperation!

Two years went by, the hunger became almost unbearable. As I was walking to work one day I asked the Lord to make it possible to tell Him how much I loved Him.

Do you know what a torrent is?

For two solid weeks the torrent of heavenly tongues filled me.

IN > > > WITH > > > UPON
I saw tongues as a door.
An open door leading to all the other manifestations of the Spirit.
But primarily a word of wisdom, a word of knowledge, gifts of healing, miracles, prophecy, discernment of spirits, and the interpretation of tongues.

I have yet to walk in all these gifts, but they appear as they are needed. We don't own the gifts. IMHO

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind that the following was written as a book chapter...

GODFIRE

I keep coming up against fire in the Bible as being part of God’s plan and even of His essence, so this chapter will be a word study on fire and related words: fire, firebrand, firebrands, firepans, fires, flame, burn, burned, burneth, burning, burnings and burnt. Most instances did not bear on the subject, but enough did to carry the theme. Instances of natural fire will get little attention, as we will focus on supernatural fire, or as I shall call it, Godfire. ...
Thanks for this topic.
Could you write a summary statement of what you are learning so far about Godfire?

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When John the Baptist said, He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire, he was referring to the change that takes place inside man at salvation.

This is a new man in Christ and the old man is dead. Paul explains it in his letter to the Romans.

The baptism with fire is the Holy Spirit purging or burning away the stain of sin inside the new creature in Christ. The Holy Spirit is now dwelling inside that new creature in Christ.

That's not a bad summary imho. I'm glad you can see the figurative use of 'dead' and 'alive', and holy fire as an agent to give life, the life of the Spirit.

So it's not much of a leap of faith, surely, to appreciate that the lake of fire into which the 'dead' are thrown in Rev 20:15 is for the purposes of burning out the sin and giving them life.

Will it hurt? Well, if you're that far gone with sin, breaking those attachments will conceivably cause serious consternation - cause you're rejecting life, choosing death. Ever had a broken leg reset in hospital? Hurts. If nobody told you what was happening, you'd think the doctors were torturing you.

So it is with the Great Physician, His justice saves. Clear as mud?

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That's not a bad summary imho. I'm glad you can see the figurative use of 'dead' and 'alive', and holy fire as an agent to give life, the life of the Spirit.

So it's not much of a leap of faith, surely, to appreciate that the lake of fire into which the 'dead' are thrown in Rev 20:15 is for the purposes of burning out the sin and giving them life.

Will it hurt? Well, if you're that far gone with sin, breaking those attachments will conceivably cause serious consternation - cause you're rejecting life, choosing death. Ever had a broken leg reset in hospital? Hurts. If nobody told you what was happening, you'd think the doctors were torturing you.

So it is with the Great Physician, His justice saves. Clear as mud?

I can not and do not agree with your definition of "eternal hell."

Our Father is a merciful God, that's why He sent His Son to pay the debt for our sin that we could not pay.

If we reject that mercy on this side of the grave, there is an "eternal hell" awaiting us, and rightfully so. It's righteous judgement, and would not be righteous if God allowed the rejectors the same benefit as those who chose Christ.

I believe the Bible when it says, your sins have separated you from your God. Isa. 59:2. That separation is eternal.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can not and do not agree with your definition of "eternal hell."

What 'eternal hell'? Are you just making stuff up now Charlie?

It's the 'lake of fire' which is the 'second death':
Revelation 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death--the lake of fire.

See, that's the revelation, that's why it's called 'the Revelation' dude. Because it's (wait for it...) the revelation!

Our Father is a merciful God, that's why He sent His Son to pay the debt for our sin that we could not pay.

If we reject that mercy on this side of the grave, there is an "eternal hell" awaiting us, and rightfully so. It's righteous judgement, and would not be righteous if God allowed the rejectors the same benefit as those who chose Christ.

I believe the Bible when it says, your sins have separated you from your God. Isa. 59:2. That separation is eternal.

You're missing out on all that heavenly glory, son.

Upvote 0