Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
How many times have you heard a Christian say

"God spoke to me"

I wonder if this is real, why do Christians who claim God speaks to them only hear it personally?

As God spoke out of a cloud to himself? And others heard only a thunderclap, you don't hear such things from Christians claiming hearing Gods voice.

It's always in their heads and not likely to be verified by other people.
So what makes you think you hear the voice of God?

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
This is something I'm interested in myself. Not in the sense that I doubt it, but rather in the sense that I wish to understand it better. I'm always curious about how you can tell, how it happens, etc
Yes, yes and yes.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit enlightens our visions and makes us aware of the already fully revealed truth of God as taught in Scripture and the Sacred Tradition of the church.

The Holy Ghost paints Christ for our eyes and he comfort us in our struggles, guides us through life.
There is no reason to think that additional teaching are needed, I'd even go further and refer to such "add-ons" as something potentially very alluring and possibly gravely sinful.
St Paul's words about adding to scripture seems fitting.

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
The Holy Spirit enlightens our visions and makes us aware of the already fully revealed truth of God as taught in Scripture and the Sacred Tradition of the church.

The Holy Ghost paints Christ for our eyes and he comfort us in our struggles, guides us through life.
There is no reason to think that additional teaching are needed, I'd even go further and refer to such "add-ons" as something potentially very alluring and possibly gravely sinful.
St Paul's words about adding to scripture seems fitting.
I'm sure the Christian God still talks, theres still so much Christians need to learn and know about. Look at all these questions the bible just doesn't answer for them.

• Prayers
Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure the Christian God still talks, theres still so much Christians need to learn and know about. Look at all these questions the bible just doesn't answer for them.

But isn't St Paul to be found in your bible too?

• Winner
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see these things not as extra teachings but as things that are valid parts of the Christian life, because it just seems to naturally happen to many. I've seen it mentioned not only in these days but even a century or two ago, it seems fairly consistent. I.e some people will say, "The Lord told me to..", etc whereas others don't.

I personally have experienced God's guidance in my life, as well as the comfort and teaching of the Holy Spirit, on a daily basis now, but I'm interested in how some people are told by God to do specific things such as go to so and so house to preach or talk to so and so person, etc

I'm curious especially about people who actually explain in some detail what it was that God actually said to them.

Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
How many times have you heard a Christian say

"God spoke to me"

I wonder if this is real, why do Christians who claim God speaks to them only hear it personally?

As God spoke out of a cloud to himself? And others heard only a thunderclap, you don't hear such things from Christians claiming hearing Gods voice.

It's always in their heads and not likely to be verified by other people.
So what makes you think you hear the voice of God?

Hi, Chris.

I can only speak of my personal experience as a believer and I'm not sure how well you'll understand due to my lack of ability in explaining things I just 'get' but you asked for a Christian perspective so I'll try my best for you.

It's very real to us. Our faith isn't lived out to trick anybody that just happens to be in our vicinity our faith in some ways is very selfish because we seek better things for ourselves to come because we are dissatisfied with life here.

I think we hear it personally because God isn't about conforming to human expectations and making a big show of Himself. He has done that in the past and He will make Himself known to the whole world again but currently His believers are His walking, talking, visable presence here on earth. His witnesses.

Faith in God is relationship based, a parent-child relationship. Look at it this way you were probably not privvy to your best friend in school's every dinner table conversation between them and their parent but they may have confided in you the highlights. That's similar to how it is with believers and our Father. We talk to Him and He talks to us sometimes in obvious ways and sometimes in subtle ways. Big ways can be life changing events that cause us to reflect because they are joyful or sorrowful, subtle ways can be praying for a specific scenario that's out of our control and it eventually happening. I say eventually because God has His own timing that believers need to adjust to it's a slower pace than the timing and demands we are used to and place on ourselves.

Our faith is valid to us we are given the evidence we need when we are open to it that's one of the mysteries of it that it's protected from those not seeking it with faith but trying to manipulate it to conform to humanity.
Humanity needs to conform to Him that's the reality of it.
It's not about validating it to anyone else. It's like nothing else on earth it's beyond everything else on earth so therefore can't be measured by earths limited methods and limited human understanding. God is bigger.

Thinking we hear the voice of God is discerned by faith and trust and years of practical living.
The world can see the visable effects of God talking to His believers but it can't put God in a science lab and dissect Him that is pure human folly.

Ways that God speaks to me have been putting a Scriptural passage in my head that I needed to hear right then, a worship song in the same way, having a friend say something or talk about something I was also thinking about but hadn't brought up, a sense of relief out of nowhere, peace in my sense of being even when the world is stressed, making a scary situation go really well that I forgot why it was scary... lots of ways. Too many to remember and explain really.

Hope that's helped a little :)
God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
This is something I'm interested in myself. Not in the sense that I doubt it, but rather in the sense that I wish to understand it better. I'm always curious about how you can tell, how it happens, etc

That comes only through faith I'm afraid.
If you are open to receiving His wisdom instead of the worlds then you'll start hearing and finding out for yourself. It's exciting but not all fun and games.

Reactions: CtC
Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private

That's true our hope is that all will be revealed in the next reality.
It's a life journey not solved in a year.
The bible is some of God not all of God.
Humans are humans and God is God.
We can't be God so we can't know everything about Him in this present reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: CtC
Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
That's true our hope is that all will be revealed in the bext reality.
It's a life journey not solved in a year.
The bible is some of God not all of God.
Humans are humans and God is God.
We can't be God so we can't know everything about Him in this present reality.
Is it that Christians can't agree on what God says for each other, not that he doesn't talk to them.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
The world wants us to be intelligent, successful, rich, every one for themselves, have abundance, luxury, instant gratification, popular etc and they can't understand why some would choose not to be intellectually competitive, endure or crave poverty, community over self, patience and be social outcasts.

And the truth that they find hard to believe is that this life and everything in it pales in comparison to what we've been promised in the next if we endure hardship in this one we'll get 100 x this next. But many don't want to wait for better, they have it good now and are content with a small picture worldview instead of God's big picture worldview. That's their choice or ignorance.

It's not easy giving up your life to follow God instead of yourself but to us it is worth it.
Like an expectant mother dreading the pain of labour but looking forward to meeting her child and afterwards forgetting the pain.

Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Is it that Christians can't agree on what God says for each other, not that he doesn't talk to them.

God is unchangable in Word and Deed.
Put humans in the mix and we'll always corrupt it.
If you seek God and go by Him and His Word and not by humans and their own teaching and opinions you'll do well.
God isn't the problem - we are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
God isn't the problem - we are.
Hey who said I was a problem? I might've been a problem child but in no way, shape or form, am I a problem now. Immature! Sorry I mean I'm mature!

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The world wants us to be intelligent, successful, rich, every one for themselves, have abundance, luxury, instant gratification, popular etc and they can't understand why some would choose not to be intellectually competitive, endure or crave poverty, community over self, patience and be social outcasts.

And the truth that they find hard to believe is that this life and everything in it pales in comparison to what we've been promised in the next if we endure hardship in this one we'll get 100 x this next. But many don't want to wait for better, they have it good now and are content with a small picture worldview instead of God's big picture worldview. That's their choice or ignorance.

It's not easy giving up your life to follow God instead of yourself but to us it is worth it.
Like an expectant mother dreading the pain of labour but looking forward to meeting her child and afterwards forgetting the pain.

I know you`re Anabaptist and I`m Catholic, but this you said above is very sound in my ears and is something which I`m occupying myself with a great deal.
Im thinking of perhaps applying to have my formation in Rome ( I already have a bachelor in theology though its Lutheran) if I feel called to the priesthood.

The vocation is the difficult thing to sort out if ones having or not...

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
God is telling me to ignore your thread but I'm disobeying him.
That is funny. Well are you sure God is saying that? What methods are you using to determine such knowledge.

• Prayers
Upvote 0