Georgia
✟138,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I assume your basis for God being beyond gender is that everything came from God, so God must contain all things. Or that God can create without help from another. Humans cannot create without help, they are in the gender system. Someone like Demi Lovato may identify with that idea of God but they are not the same as God in that aspect.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God is not a man. God is not a woman. God is non-binary. Just like some of Creation, those formed in God's image. Gender is a social construct.

Hardly controversial.

Genesis says that Humankind was made in the image of God, and then later split into two sexes (sexes, not genders) when Eve was taken from the side of the man.

This doesn't mean that humans can be 'non-binary' now (you do not contain both male and female).

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see the statement that God is "non-binary" as meaning that He is not dual in His nature - so He created one Cosmos
one Earth
one Man (later, man and woman)

I see God and His Cosmos as a hierarchy, not at a dualistic Heaven versus Hell, with us as a contested prize between them.

Why?

Because of Genesis 1:1, which states that God created the heavens and the earth, with no mention of Hell. None of the Scriptures having to do with the Creation mention any creation of Hell.

• Informative
Reactions: venksta
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God is The Father.

Father, is not mother. Mother is female.

Father is male.
God is the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost. God is neither male nor female in the sexual sense except that the Son did take on the nature of a human male in Jesus of Nazareth.

:)

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟78,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hardly controversial.

Genesis says that Humankind was made in the image of God, and then later split into two sexes (sexes, not genders) when Eve was taken from the side of the man.

This doesn't mean that humans can be 'non-binary' now (you do not contain both male and female).

That assumes that the Creation story is literal.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟171,138.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God is not a man.
God refers to Himself as a male. Are you calling Him a liar?

"Yet for us there is one God, the Father.." (1 Cor 8:6)
"And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven." (Mt 23:9)
"Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation." (Ps 68:5)
"But now, O Lord, you are our Father" (Isaiah 64:8)
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Eph 1:3)
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights" (James 1:17)
"Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?" (John 14:10)
"For to us a child is born, [...], and his name shall be called Mighty God, Everlasting Father" (Isaiah 9:6)
"you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”" (Romans 8:15)

and so on and on and on. Whenever the Bible refers to God it uses the pronoun "he", never "she".

God is not a woman.
Correct. That's why he didn't say "I am your mother and comfort you". He said instead "As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you" (Isaiah 66:13). God is our Father and comforts you like a mother does, not being a mother.

God is non-binary. Just like some of Creation, those formed in God's image.
Please quote a Bible verse stating this idea.

Gender is a social construct.
"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." (Gen 1:27)
Gender is not a social construct. God created 2 genders, and humans were 2 genders from the 1st day of their existence, before society was a thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The spirit is gender neutral. God is spirit. He is still however an adopted persons Father, whom ever has accepted Jesus Christ into their heart and received the Spirit of Adoption, where they call out Abba Father.

Romans 8:15
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, “Abba! Father!”

However, in Greek the word (pneuma) is neuter.

Strong's Concordance
pneuma: wind, spirit
Original Word: πνεῦμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: pneuma
Phonetic Spelling: (pnyoo'-mah)
Definition: wind, spirit
Usage: wind, breath, spirit.
HELPS Word-studies
4151 pneúma – properly, spirit (Spirit), wind, or breath. The most frequent meaning (translation) of 4151 (pneúma) in the NT is "spirit" ("Spirit"). Only the context however determines which sense(s) is meant.

[Any of the above renderings (spirit-Spirit, wind, breath) of 4151 (pneúma) is always theoretically possible (spirit, Spirit, wind, breath). But when the attributive adjective ("holy") is used, it always refers to the Holy Spirit. "Spirit" ("spirit") is by far the most common translation (application) of 4151 (pneúma).

The Hebrew counterpart (rûach) has the same range of meaning as 4151 (pneúma), i.e. it likewise can refer to spirit/Spirit, wind, or breath.]

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God is not a man. God is not a woman. God is non-binary. Just like some of Creation, those formed in God's image. Gender is a social construct.

If gender is a social construct why do archaeologists conduct DNA analysis on mummies to determine their sex?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,632.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God is the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost. God is neither male nor female in the sexual sense except that the Son did take on the nature of a human male in Jesus of Nazareth.

:)

Jesus referred to God as His 'Father'. Thats good enough for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God is utterly transcendent and not limited to human categories. So to call him non-binary, as if it meant anything is absurd. In the case of Jesus he was literally incarnated as a man and taught us to pray the our Father. We were not taught to address God as 'Our Mother,' we were not taught by the Christ, the Prophets or the Apostles that we can identify as anything we want.

Seems to me much of the bible presumes a biological reality between men and women. How men and women ought to behave and interact with each other. Seems to me that God doesn't give us a choice in the sex we have.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why is this even being discussed? Genesis 1:27 says, "God created humankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them, male and female he created them".

In the image of God He created them, male and female he created them. Clearly, both genders are created in the image of the Creator.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Is non-binary not a social construct? What matters is, what does God say?
Genesis 1:27 He created them male and female.
Literal or not, the Bible is clear that men and women are different anatomically, relationally, and functionally.

Upvote 0