New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God is not a man. God is not a woman. God is non-binary. Just like some of Creation, those formed in God's image. Gender is a social construct.

I agree that the categories of male/female and man/woman do not apply to God. I don't know if I'd use the word "non-binary" to describe God, since I think of that also as a kind of human gender identity (I'll have to think about that one!), but I do avoid using gendered pronouns to speak of God where I can.

From what I can tell, gender is a complicated combination of biology, individual personality, and cultural expectations. I've run into people (some cis, some trans) who have a really strong sense of male or female gender identity, so strong that I think it goes beyond socialization and is probably influenced by their physical brains and bodies. But I'm certainly interested to see what the biologists and psychologists come up with in the next few decades as they study gender, and I'll yield to their expertise.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why is this even being discussed? Genesis 1:27 says, "God created humankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them, male and female he created them".

In the image of God He created them, male and female he created them. Clearly, both genders are created in the image of the Creator.

Gender or sex?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why is this even being discussed? Genesis 1:27 says, "God created humankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them, male and female he created them".

In the image of God He created them, male and female he created them. Clearly, both genders are created in the image of the Creator.
I guess that could be interpreted several different ways, but the usual understanding is that God endowed humans with some characteristics of himself that were not given to the animals, for example an immortal soul and a certain level of intelligence.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He is a Father figure, but do you believe that Almighty God is exactly the same as the flesh and blood creature that he created in Adam? I hope not.

Jesus called Him Father. Not mother.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What is Father to you?

I go along with what Jesus said. He didnt call God mother.

How do you answer the previous post which shows clearly that there are different meanings possible when the word "Father" is being used?

I go along with what Jesus said.
We all do.

That doesn't do anything to explain what was intended by the word. You may think God is bearded and has all the same physical parts and maladies that we, his creatures do, but the fact is that when we say "Father" there is more than just one narrow meaning possible (just as when Catholics refer to a priest as "Father" and do not mean that he is God in their eyes).

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
All we can know is this:
- that Jesus (the Son)was biologically male.
- grammatically Father was originally written in masculine
- the Holy Spirit was originally written was gender neutral in Greek but in Hebrew the word was feminine.
God is the trinity - God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.

While we can know that Christ was biologically male, it is unwise to assign gender to the Trinity as we cannot know. Plus some languages are inherently gendered, for example some words are feminine while others are masculine. It would be silly to limit God the father or the spirit as gender. The word itself is masculine but it doesn’t matter, it’s all language.
Even saying non-binary is unwise as it limits God to manmade ideas.

• Informative
Reactions: venksta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is not a man. God is not a woman. God is non-binary. Just like some of Creation, those formed in God's image. Gender is a social construct.

I try not to tell God what He is. Humans are pretty much male or female and gender as you point out is only a social construct, i.e. an imaginary thing like race that ought not be considered as part of anyone's identity unless one is also a social construct or some other kind of imaginary thing . The term non binary is a useless term. It says nothing important about the person, place or thing it is used to attempt to describe. If I say someone is not something, I do not tell you anything very much worth knowing about that person to help me understand who that person actually is. Tell me what he or she is and I can come to some sort of knowledge about the person. Telling me what he or she is not does not help in that regard.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How do you answer the previous post which shows clearly that there are different meanings possible when the word "Father" is being used?

We all do.

That doesn't do anything to explain what was intended by the word. You may think God is bearded and has all the same physical parts and maladies that we, his creatures do, but the fact is that when we say "Father" there is more than just one narrow meaning possible (just as when Catholics refer to a priest as "Father" and do not mean that he is God in their eyes).

Is God Mother? No.

Did Jesus call Him Mother? No.

Did Jesus tell Philip that when he sees Him, he see the Father? Yes.

John 14:9
9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Like i said before. I go along with what Jesus said.

• Agree
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is ambiguous about "In the image of God He created them, male and female he created them." It clearly says that both male and female are created in God's image. The use of pronouns doesn't determine anything since it sounds absurd to call God "it" or neuter. Male pronouns are the (unfortunate) default in most languages.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
God is The Father.

Father, is not mother. Mother is female.

Father is male.

Again, not according to the Bible. It says that God created male and female in His own image.

Genesis 1:27, "God created humankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them,
male and female he created them."

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Again, not according to the Bible. It says that God created male and female in His own image.

Genesis 1:27, "God created humankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them,
male and female he created them."

9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

An out-of-context verse doesn't mean much. " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God." John 1:1

"The Father and I are one" John 10:1

According to you Jesus was His own Father, correct?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
An out-of-context verse doesn't mean much. " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God." John 1:1

"The Father and I are one" John 10:1

According to you Jesus was His own Father, correct?

Like i said before, i believe what Jesus said:

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Like i said before, i believe what Jesus said:

I read what you said the first time. Should I repeat myself also? Should we go round and round posting the same things?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I read what you said the first time. Should I repeat myself also? Should we go round and round posting the same things?

Father. Not mother, aunt, gran......

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Father. Not mother, aunt, gran......

Galatians 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female—for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

I have better things to do than rehash this same truth over and over and over. We disagree, so let's leave it at that.

"God is spirit, and the people who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." John 4:24

Upvote 0