Giving up posessions

johnholby

Jan 18, 2010
✟15,234.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think God is calling me to give up my collectibles, action figures, comic books, and magic cards. I don't know why but the thought has been weighing on my mind for over a year now, along with a few other things that I am trying to finally give in on and obey. I've been resisting, resisting, resisting. These things bring me much joy but I know nothing is more important than the Lord.

Has anyone else ever experienced a struggled with something such as this?

I have experienced this when I was active with paragliding, I felt God Wanting me to give it up and I did, I did miss the sport a lot however through prayer and Christian councelling I felt Gods peace when I began flying again.
I enjoy listening to Pastor Joseph Prince from Singapore giving a testimony about a Christian man trying to stop smoking and everyime He lit up, He would confess it as sin, with no results whatsoever.
After going through councelling with a Pastor, when He lit up a cigarette, He was challenged to see himself as righteous in Christ and to confess everyday I am Righteous with God through Jesus Christ and also to see that God was neither angry or judging him in his falls and failures.
He also confessed his inability to stop on his own, his prayer would be I Can,t but You Can.
By reaching out to Gods unconditional Love and Grace He stopped smoking and has a wonderful relationship with God today through Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think God is calling me to give up my collectibles, action figures, comic books, and magic cards. I don't know why but the thought has been weighing on my mind for over a year now, along with a few other things that I am trying to finally give in on and obey. I've been resisting, resisting, resisting. These things bring me much joy but I know nothing is more important than the Lord.

Ecclesiastes 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God. 25 For who can eat, or who else can hasten hereunto, more than I? 26 For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before God. This also is vanity and vexation of spirit.

Upvote 0

meconstant3402

Feb 26, 2014
✟11,932.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Frankly, I don't think it helps to just give up everything unless you feel that Christ is calling you to go to a Monastery or to preach in His Name. But you can give up half of your possessions, as Zachaeus did, on the condition that you continue to give up your possessions as you accumulate them. You should go by the Gospels. If your life is going to be one of ministry, exclusively, as the apostles, and as the rich man was called to do, then yes, everything has to go. But if you are living in the world, and you come to Jesus through compassion to others, as Z did, then half of your items is sufficient.

Upvote 0

Ray Blick

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2017
Australia
✟49,330.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The pride of life is not pride of possessions dear brother.
No theological debate here, just a word to tell you that you could play your computer games, collect all the action figures you want and Father God will not stop adoring you. Maybe you are growing up and recognising that you need to spend quality time with Papa God, getting to know Him, His voice, speaking to Him, listening to Him and reading the word.
Yes, we all need to balance 'stuff' in our lives but we also need to be careful not to become legalistic and live by rules caused by human fear.
The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom and this does not mean being scared of our Father God, Jesus paid the price for you to come boldly before the throne of grace, this fear means deep respect, awe and reverence.

Think of His grace, would Papa want you to give up what you enjoy?
We just need to put Him first in everything we do, thank Him, adore Him and be ready to let go when He prompts us to of things that snare us into sin.
Holy Spirit will prompt you when you are over indulged.

It's O.K. To have some accumulated stuff at times until one day He tells you to give it to somebody else. This pleases Him, this is His heart.

May He bless you abundantly for your obedience

Reactions: LRose613
Upvote 0

Ralph Mintah

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2016
Ghana
✟45,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My first thought was about the magic cards. It would appear from the name alone that they are not good for a Christian. It may well be that the other things are similar in being ungodly.

I have had a bit of a breakthrough recently in dealing with things like this and I have been able to deal with things that in the past have had a stronghold on me with ease. It is just to speak out that I choose God over the thing and then to act in that. It started with little things but is now working on the big things as well and for me has made it unbelievably easy to deal with the big issues.

So much so Im thinking I might try to write a book on it!!!!

Upvote 0

D2wing

Feb 12, 2013
✟15,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You raise a good point, I've tried the ignore and forget, it does not work in my case, unfortunately. I found myself continuing to obsess over the new ones I want and buying more, and more. Unfortunately, I think the only way is to get rid of them. I am leaning towards selling because I know that they would not be such a problem for everyone, but for me they are quite the stumbling block.

In my opinion, you will be a lot happier in the long run if you do give up that stuff. I have gone through that as well. You are not going to get anywhere or grow if you resist the leading. Now I have a lot of nice stuff now but I am willing to give it up if needed. It gives me freedom and a blessed feeling. I did give up other things including a big career move when I was younger. It has paid great dividends. Andy Stanley's sermon yesterday was about the Beatitudes. About blessed are the poor in Spirit is about not depending on wealth or goods but on Gods provision. If we depend on worldly goods for happiness we will have anxiety and envy and temptations. So give it up and be at peace.

Upvote 0

Ralph Mintah

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2016
Ghana
✟45,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

God created us in His OWN Image and therefore I think that with time he adjusts to human living. We live in a world where people take things from their brothers and sisters before they do something for them. We live in this world where everything has been coveted to money or does not have any recognizable value so you give out something to get something.

With time, I think it has resonated with God and that is why he is asking you to give some things up. God does not need you to do anything for HIM before HE does something for you but YOU Cannot be with him and be with things of destruction.

Give the things that you feel are not helping your relationship UP because it does not necessarily have a spiritual or religious correlation but it is physical as well.

If you play video games, it takes over your mind, if you watch inappropriate contentography, it does same by occupying a portion of your mind, if you are into social media, you wake up checking your email, photos you missed from celebrities on Instagram, Posts from Facebook, Hashtag chats on Twitter and other connections on LinkedIn. These things are pleasurable and takes out time without is knowing.

GOD DOES NOT NEED YOU TO DO ANYTHING BEFORE HE DOES SOMETHING FOR YOU BUT HE IS WITH TIME ADJUSTING TO OUR WAY OF LIFE AND THERE GIVE SOMETHING UP THAT IS A DESTRUCTION ON YOUR LIFE AND FREE YOURSELF FOR GOD'S POWER TO PASS THROUGH YOU.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So everyone should give up all hobbies? No more flower gardens, no more stamp collecting, no more fishing, no more house cleaning, no more... anything? Give up on their jobs, as well? Give up their computers? (Why do you still have a computer?)
You are missing the part "God telling you to give up _____________ ." He knows what is in each of our hearts, what we have made into idols, and what we have not. God does not tell everyone to give up everything. Of course we give everything up to HIM, that gives HIM the say-so to tell us what to do when.

And often, once something has been de-throned as an idol, He will give it back to us to enjoy (in proper perspective).

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You raise a good point, I've tried the ignore and forget, it does not work in my case, unfortunately. I found myself continuing to obsess over the new ones I want and buying more, and more. Unfortunately, I think the only way is to get rid of them. I am leaning towards selling because I know that they would not be such a problem for everyone, but for me they are quite the stumbling block.

I think you already know the answer. If the Lord has put his finger on these things in your life there is a reason. Just obey and you will be blessed. Is it the case that maybe you started this thread because you want someone to tell you the opposite of what the Lord has already told you so you have an excuse to keep them? Really this is between you and the Lord entirely.

Upvote 0

patdee

Sep 20, 2016
Duluth, Georgia
✟23,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

"I know nothing is more important than the Lord"

My dear person, there is nothing AS important as JESUS!

Absolutely NOTHING!

For without Jesus, there would be no:

1. Universe.

2. World.

3. Earth.

4. Life of ANY kind.

5. Etc, etc and ETC!

5. NO nothing but "void of darkness" and "absolute Zero" temperature (−459.67 °F). For without heat (created by Jesus) there is only cold. Without light (created by Jesus) there would be only darkness. Without righteousness (created by Jesus) there would be only unrighteousness. Finally: without good (created by Jesus) there would be only wickedness; where man would have destroyed himself AND the entire world thousands of years ago.

Think about it. Thus ANY "possession" that takes our focus off of Jesus is blasphemy and punished beyond our ability to fathom. Oh indeed yes.

Also, one should NEVER refer to "God" without making it clear that Jesus is the ONLY true God there has ever been or ever will be. Thus; it is terribly blasphemous not to use His holy name when referring to "God".

Remember, ALL religions worship a "god". Believe it or not, even "atheism" IS indeed a quintessential religion. For its unshakable and adamant creed is: "There is NO god!"; and they worship that creed with a fervor NO other belief beholds. Believe it or not. Yet they (as all do) worship every conceivable "idol" god (possessions included) ever known. OH indeed yes. But...................................

...............................There is ONLY one true God. His name is Jesus.

This is why Jesus espoused the following profound words,

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

(Note: This means Jesus IS the ONLY way; He is the ONLY truth void of errors and there can be NO life of any kind without Him. Oh indeed yes.

The reason no man can come to the father without Jesus; is because Jesus WAS the "Father". Oh indeed yes. Follow along:

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with(in) God, and the Word was God. John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Please dear person, consider this. It is SO very important. Sadly, MOST Christians do NOT believe Jesus is the Father. But ALL will know He is not only the Father, but He is God Almighty, on judgment day. Mark Me Words!

It would be best for ALL Christians to drop the generic word "god" when referring to God Almighty; and replace it in all instances with Jesus. The blessings that would flow when one begins to do this, is unfathomable. Oh indeed yes.

In any case, may Jesus richly bless you and yours always.

Upvote 0

Jack Mayne

Feb 26, 2017
Del Rio, Texas
✟8,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Hello, I hope you're doing well on this first day of spring.

The phrase, "God is calling me" is one that I disagree with because it implies that He speaks to each of us in different ways. I believe that all that He has to tell us is in His word, which does speak towards possessions and the stumbling block they can become.
If you yourself believe that you should give up the things you're thinking of giving up, then by all means go ahead and do it. But don't feel like you have to because God is leading you to. It is a conscious thought that you have in your mind to do.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the most important thing to give up is your love for the things you are throwing out. If you still think about that games and rehearse the previous game play in your head, and "miss" the game after they are out the house....throwing them out will profit you nothing.

I think you have a better chance of growing, if you leave them there and just not play them. If you arent strong enough to do that, then by all means, throw them out. But remember, that removing the items from your view, does not equal removing the love of the item from your heart....and the latter is more important.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The reason to give up those things is because you want to do so, and no other reason. If thye are no longer pleasurable to you, by all means, simplify your life. But if you truly enjoy them, there is no reason to part with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, nowadays people use the word magic for my little ponies too, and really if my daughter started to give away her teddy pinkypie because someone called it magic on the television well according to the bible soon she could have 10 or 100 pinkypies. But if the magic cards are outright evil and satanic and used for casting spells on people like they cause illness and spells then please throw them in the fire. Do not give them to someone. If the magic cards are pictures of small elves and characters like from disney world I doubt they do any harm. I mean if someone called mickey mouse magic would You belive it, yeah a talking mouse. Must be magic. Nah he is so classic so we christians don't bother. What we should bother about is the elf and witch school kids programmes all over youtube.

Upvote 0

Lys Nogales

Mar 16, 2017
Washington State
✟8,367.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Hi there,
I believe that if this conviction is truly from God then these things you mentioned are taking up a place in your heart that is meant for Him. While earthly possessions are not inherently evil, sometimes we can make them our idols if we spend all our time and thoughts towards them. If this is an area of struggle for you then I believe that getting rid of them would be best in the long run, it will definitely hurt for a while but you will find a peace and freedom through it! Perhaps you could find a non-profit or family in need to gift them to and that way you could do even more good through your surrender. I hope this helps, God bless!

Upvote 0

Minoa

Jul 29, 2016
North America
✟17,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm no teacher, but let's start with what Edifying even means:
"instruct or improve (someone) morally or intellectually."

Also, what builds a person up, let's be honest, it's also about one's existing character and maturity to not turn it into something bad.
S...is it building you up to go fishing? if it teaches you respect for Creation, patience, getting us off your mobile phone addictions and helping you clear your mind, then YES it is building you up as a person. If however, you weren't mature enough to fish without competing in a selfish manner with family or you were abusing the laws against overfishing, then no.

For me, it is not so much totally giving up all my geeky stuff, it's more like what is the primary subject and experience it is trying to give me, for ie, I should probably not be playing Grand Theft Auto or some bikini girls game (I never approved of it anyway), because it's glamorizing basically everything immoral in the modern world from prostitution to theft.

for say movies and cartoons, is the primary subject matter very sexual? does it effect how you view woman if you are a guy?
here the biggest thing against Godly ways would be not just enjoying the sexual part, but allowing it to shape how you treat the woman in your life.
Nothing you watch or play should be making you behave indecently towards others or tempt you to sin, I think is a key thought.

is it violent and bloody for the sole sake of being violent and bloody? then yes, it probably needs to go. This is also for your own mental health...it does nothing good for you.

Basically, it is possible you are just worried too much, afraid perhaps, that God wants it taken away....but it also depends what exactly is in your games. IF you simply just play too often, I don't see why you'd get rid of them, simply learn to play less and make more time for God and things he wants you to do. Getting rid of a hobby is a bit extreme unless it does real harm----the thing is, it doesn't teach a person how to balance and control how and where they do things---it can easily be replaced if patience and self-control isn't learned.

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, alot of us have been down that road.....clinging and unfortunately some even unto overburden of hoarding have created binds that sometimes; while they have entertained us they have essentially made us slaves to their invention. Moderation or abstinence completely is the best method of operation if you feel a constant almost overwhelming tug for the most part to what I call in that stage of evolution for "idols".

As the dictionary clearly states by description.....

idolatry a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered:

To those in the un-know...

Exodus 20:3King James Version (KJV)
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Luke 12:33-34King James Version (KJV)
33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Not asking you to give up anything. Asking you to use your talents and skills in His purpose to lead others. Not sit and stare at the wall but to give up the selfish, self centered part of what you are doing. Share with others and use these as a lead in to others your age to begin making the Lord Jesus more important in their lives. But, yes. I have walked away from things I enjoyed. However, I found that I was walking toward better than I ever expected to find. And it was there all along. Find joy in helping others find their way to Christ.

Upvote 0