Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Erik3 said:
Hi

I have a question

I'm a fairly new believer (1 yr) and have been looking for a church. I've found one I like but they say the miraculous signs such as tounges, prophecy, and healing were for a that specific time period. I don't know if I agree with this? All of the churches ofther beliefs I agree with. Does anyone know if this is correct or incorrect. I would really like to hear both sides, and backed up by scripture. Thanks
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar of, even as many as the LORD our God shall call. (Acts of the Apostles 2:39)
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (I Corinthians 13:8). Tongues will cease. They will cease the moment that eveything is known that will be known and all prophecies have been fulfilled.
Coming from someone who opperates with the gifts of the Holy Spirit, I know that they are real, I cannot be convinced otherwise. May God Bless You!!:wave:

Upvote 0
Highway of Holiness said:
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar of, even as many as the LORD our God shall call. (Acts of the Apostles 2:39)

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (I Corinthians 13:8).

Tongues will cease. They will cease the moment that eveything is known that will be known and all prophecies have been fulfilled.
Coming from someone who opperates with the gifts of the Holy Spirit, I know that they are real, I cannot be convinced otherwise. May God Bless You!!:wave:
chapter and verse please......

Gifts operate to day just not tongues, prophecies, gift of knowledge, healing

gifts that operate to day

NT teachers
OT teacher
Helps
Mercy
evanglist
administration
exhortation
ministry
giving

sorry missing a three I think

Upvote 0
Bizzlebin Imperatoris said:
1 Corinthians 14:22

Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers...
1 COR 1:22 fOR THE jEWS REQUIRE A SIGN AND THE GREEKS SEEK AFTER WISDOM

TONGUES WHERE ALWAYS DONE AROUND JEWS

but do all people who hear tongues believe no because God gives ears to hear mark 4:9-12 then with the word of God romans 10:17

2 cor 5:7 for we walk by faith not by sight

hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Upvote 0
Exclusion is no basis for impossibility. And, how does it even matter?
Do you believe its God word ...2peter 1:19-21

or men's

and if God's he tells us what we need to know.....period...

since God is all knowing

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Actually, all will go away. And, one cannot disprove something's abolishment at perfection by it's exclusion in verse 10. The conclusion then is not valid.
You are missing the obvious. All will cease...but only knowledge and prophesy will cease at the coming of the eternal state and so because tongues will not be in the etarnal state we know that they must have ceased before the coming of the perfect. We now have a timeline :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A Brethren IN CHRIST said:
Do you believe its God word ...2peter 1:19-21

or men's

and if God's he tells us what we need to know.....period...

since God is all knowing
Considering that Jews practically led or were part of every early Christian congregation, the conclusion is invalid.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
AV1611 said:
You are missing the obvious. All will cease...but only knowledge and prophesy will cease at the coming of the eternal state and so because tongues will not be in the etarnal state we know that they must have ceased before the coming of the perfect. We now have a timeline :)
In fact, knowledge will be around in the perfect state. As for the timeline, it is vague. According to what you say, tongues could end the moment before perfection comes. Still no conclusive answers.

Upvote 0

but do all people who hear tongues believe no because God gives ears to hear mark 4:9-12 then with the word of God romans 10:17

2 cor 5:7 for we walk by faith not by sight

hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
As for the timeline, it is vague. According to what you say, tongues could end the moment before perfection comes. Still no conclusive answers.
When looked at from 1 Cor 13 only then yes it is vague but it establishes a fact that tongues ceases BEFORE the coming of the perfect. This therefore means that tongues could have already ceased does it not for the perfect has not yet come?

Upvote 0
1 cor 13:10 perfect is come

In the greek that word is a nueter [aka perfect thing]

and Jesus Christ is a mascline
and the Word of God is a feminine

so since my savior is not a thing what does it refer to

vs 8 prophecies
vs 9 prophecies..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
AV1611 said:
When looked at from 1 Cor 13 only then yes it is vague but it establishes a fact that tongues ceases BEFORE the coming of the perfect. This therefore means that tongues could have already ceased does it not for the perfect has not yet come?
Basic observations however prove otherwise. Tongues may very well cease before perfection, but the time is likely very small.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
1 cor 13:10 perfect is come

In the greek that word is a nueter [aka perfect thing]

and Jesus Christ is a mascline
and the Word of God is a feminine

so since my savior is not a thing what does it refer to

vs 8 prophecies
vs 9 prophecies..
Do you know any Greek?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Does this mean all Greeks look for wisdom? Or that all Jews demand a sign? Of course not. Context

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Basic observations however prove otherwise.
Could you explain?

Tongues may very well cease before perfection, but the time is likely very small.
Find this OPINION in scripture if you would not mind?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
AV1611 said:
Could you explain?

Find this OPINION in scripture if you would not mind?
1) Look at how many foreign languages exist in the world today

2) It all depend on how you interpret verse 11

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.

I think this is the physical vs resurrection body. If you believe differently let me know.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.