Wisconsin
✟226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi

I have a question

I'm a fairly new believer (1 yr) and have been looking for a church. I've found one I like but they say the miraculous signs such as tounges, prophecy, and healing were for a that specific time period. I don't know if I agree with this? All of the churches ofther beliefs I agree with. Does anyone know if this is correct or incorrect. I would really like to hear both sides, and backed up by scripture. Thanks

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is hotly debated between various denominations.

Personally, I believe the signs have for the most part passed away. They were meant to confirm the Holy Apostles, and they did so. There are still miracles, but the signs are no longer needed.

Upvote 0

@@Paul@@

The Key that Fits:Acts 28
Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
Erik3 said:
Hi

I have a question

I'm a fairly new believer (1 yr) and have been looking for a church. I've found one I like but they say the miraculous signs such as tounges, prophecy, and healing were for a that specific time period. I don't know if I agree with this? All of the churches ofther beliefs I agree with. Does anyone know if this is correct or incorrect. I would really like to hear both sides, and backed up by scripture. Thanks

It's more than just whether these "gifts" were for a specific "time period" but also what they were for and who they were promised too....

My advice, stay in that church, study your bible. It's always easier to jump "in" than it is to jump "out"... make sure you know what you're getting into... ;)

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Gifts are for this time period. God is still letting us help others by giving them to us. See, spiriitual gifts aren't for the person who recieves them, these gifts help others. For example I have the gift of the word of knowledge, meaning that I can figure something out about a person that is personal without prior knowledge of them. This has helped me alot in my prayer ministry and allowed me to lead prayer for people in a way that God wills. Ie--a woman wanted prayer for her headaches, but I got a word about her relationship with her mother, we prayed about forgiveness and healing for that relationship and this woman's headaches no longer bother her Everyone is given one or two gifts....as for people being told they "have" to speak in tongues, that's not true-who are we to demand God give us a specific gift? We can ask and pray for it but we can't assume. Hope this helped! ;)

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HumbleMan said:
The gifts are still for today. The Spirit will give the gifts as He decides. From the first century on, the gifts have been to edify the church and to bring unbelievers into the Christian fold. This still needs to be done today.
Amen, and Amen--can't add to that. I have the gift of discernment of spirits. My wife has the gift of wisdom. If the gifts have passed away, I would wonder if the Holy Spirit had abandoned us.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Erik3 said:
Hi

I have a question

If they are unscriptural, stay away. If they really are using gifts as is directed in the Bible (always interpret tongues, no chaos in worship) then they may truely have the gifts

Upvote 0
Erik3 said:
Hi

I have a question

FIRST STANCE

1 cor 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the greeks seek after wisdom.

2 cor 5:7 for we walk by faith not by sight.

hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen.

eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:it is the gift of God. .....Hebrews 12:2

Second Stance

In corinthians church was set apart in Christ Jesus in 1cor 1:2 yet called carnal in 1 cor 3:1-3

In 1 cor 4:21 Paul states...What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love and in the spirit of meekness.

1 cor 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

....................... what are those ? .......................

1 cor 11:22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drinkin ? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

1 cor 12:8 For to one is given.....the word of wisdom......to another ,,the word of knowledge

9 to another...faith

1 cor 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame spirit, dividing to every man severally as He [determines]will

1 cor 13:9 But we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Some say perfect is come is..... this perfect is a nueter thing in greek

Jesus... my savior is not a thing and in greek he is in the masiniline [sp]
Bible.... in greek is a feminine [sp]
Prophesy.... in context as it is listed in vs 8 and vs 9 stateing that when the final prophecy is finished the bible will be closed and these gifts will cease and vanish away.

1 cor 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe 23 If therefore the whole church comes together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they say that ye are mad?

1 cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints

1 cor 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues..WHY Rev 11:3-12

1 cor 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Check me out verify my verses....
ask a person that knows greek not if I am correct but ask about males..Jesus , female ...Bible and nueters

Peace in Christ

P.S.
whatever you decide one way or another remember as long as we have believed that Christ died , arose , and sit on the right hand of the Father ... we are all in the body of Christ 1 cor 12:12-13

Upvote 0
herev said:
Amen, and Amen--can't add to that. I have the gift of discernment of spirits. My wife has the gift of wisdom. If the gifts have passed away, I would wonder if the Holy Spirit had abandoned us.
Romans 8:9b if any man have not the spirit of Christ, he is none of His.

Upvote 0
HumbleMan said:
The gifts are still for today. The Spirit will give the gifts as He decides. From the first century on, the gifts have been to edify the church and to bring unbelievers into the Christian fold. This still needs to be done today.
first statement. true.Gal 6:10
second statement . true 1 cor 12:12:4-11
third statement ....not sure what you are saying exactly?
Mans get to participate in this but this is God's work
John 6:29, Hebrews 12:2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

@@Paul@@

Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
HumbleMan said:
And Paul lists the gifts given by Christ to edify the body of Christ in Ephesians chapter 4. ;)

Upvote 0
@@Paul@@ said:
And Paul lists the gifts given by Christ to edify the body of Christ in Ephesians chapter 4. ;)
yes I agree ..eph 4:12 a work of the ministry

singular

what is are work with in the body?

vs 15 speaking the truth in love

Upvote 0

@@Paul@@

Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
A Brethren IN CHRIST said:
yes I agree ..eph 4:12 a work of the ministry

singular

what is are work with in the body?

vs 15 speaking the truth in love
I was thinking more of...
Eph 4:8-12 KJV
(8) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
(11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
(12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:​
I see gifts of men given to edify the body...

Upvote 0

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A Brethren IN CHRIST[b said:
Second Stance[/b]
In corinthians church was set apart in Christ Jesus in 1cor 1:2 yet called carnal in 1 cor 3:1-3
Exactly why Paul laid out the requirements for exercising the gifts. Using the gifts irresponsibly doesn't negate their value.
1 cor 13:9 But we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
Don't forget the vs. 12b, "Now I know in part but then (using hermeneutics can only mean vs 10 - 'that which is perfect is come') I shall know even as I also am known."

I sure don't know everything as God knows me, i.e. with perfect knowledge.
Some say perfect is come is..... this perfect is a nueter thing in greek
The Holy Spirit is also referenced in the neuter tense, as in Acts 5.
Prophesy.... in context as it is listed in vs 8 and vs 9 stateing that when the final prophecy is finished the bible will be closed and these gifts will cease and vanish away.
Any Scripture to back up this assumption?
23 If therefore the whole church comes together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they say that ye are mad?

1 cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints

1 cor 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues..WHY Rev 11:3-12

1 cor 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
Why are these "confusion" verses always equated to mean tongues are not for today? I realise some churches misuse the gift, but not all. I belong to a church where the gifts, including tongues, are taught and properly exercised.

Please don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater."
whatever you decide one way or another remember as long as we have believed that Christ died , arose , and sit on the right hand of the Father ... we are all in the body of Christ 1 cor 12:12-13
Amen, brother!

And Erik3, one thing's for sure, "And you will seek Me, and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart," Jer 29.13. God won't let you down in your search for the truth, bro!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
QUOTE=PatrickM Exactly why Paul laid out the requirements for exercising the gifts. Using the gifts irresponsibly doesn't negate their value.

Don't forget the vs. 12b, "Now I know in part but then (using hermeneutics can only mean vs 10 - 'that which is perfect is come') I shall know even as I also am known."

I sure don't know everything as God knows me, i.e. with perfect knowledge.

The Holy Spirit is also referenced in the neuter tense, as in Acts 5.

Any Scripture to back up this assumption?

1cor 13:8,9 talks about prophecy

vs 10 when its complete these gifts are done!

Why are these "confusion" verses always equated to mean tongues are not for today? I realise some churches misuse the gift, but not all. I belong to a church where the gifts, including tongues, are taught and properly exercised.

#1 So you Gospelize unsaved Jews 1 cor 14:22, 1 cor 1:22, act 10:44-46

#2 never use tongues in Church 1 cor 14:22

#3 people that are a different languege and a tonguer can talk in their own language in telling them the GOOD NEWS.... aND NOT USE AN INTERPTURE like in act 2:6-7,8,11

Please don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Amen, brother!

And Erik3, one thing's for sure, "And you will seek Me, and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart," Jer 29.13. God won't let you down in your search for the truth, bro!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.