✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Erik3 said:
Hi

I have a question

I'm a fairly new believer (1 yr) and have been looking for a church. I've found one I like but they say the miraculous signs such as tounges, prophecy, and healing were for a that specific time period. I don't know if I agree with this? All of the churches ofther beliefs I agree with. Does anyone know if this is correct or incorrect. I would really like to hear both sides, and backed up by scripture. Thanks

You will not find the answers you are looking for in Scripture, because the opinions of people are based upon reading their ideas into Scripture, rather than reading plain dogmatic statements from Scripture. The Bible is silent in regard to many popular notions such as those you are seeking answers for.

On the one hand, I find it interesting that the gifts of wisdom and knowledge have not passed away, yet somehow the gifts at the bottom of the list in 1 Cor 12 have (?).

On the other hand, I find it interesting that only people who speak in tongues are considered to be full of the Holy Spirit (?).

In regard to the extremes on this matter the Scriptures are silent. The real answer is somewhere in the middle. Scripture does not claim these gifts are done away today, nor does it claim they are a measure with which Christians can compare themselves as superior or more full.

Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All? I'm sorry but tongues for example comes from 3 possible sources:
  1. God,
  2. our own vain imaginations, or
  3. the devil
There is a genuine gift of tongues, but there are also plenty of fakes. Same is true for all the other gifts. They too can be faked and often are. Worldly wisdom instead of divine, pseudo-knowledge instead of divine, etc.

Upvote 0

peh

Apr 2, 2005
Kentucky
✟128.00
Faith
Christian
AV1611 said:
You are missing the obvious.... tongues will not be in the etarnal state we know that they must have ceased before the coming of the perfect. We now have a timeline :)

The question is and has not been answered entirely satisfactorily: what is meant by the "perfect"?

1 Cor 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away: The context for this verse would seem to be reference to the coming of perfect prophecy, tongues, and wisdom, or perhaps to a perfect One who prophesies perfectly, speaks only in a known tongue, (since we will no doubt hear speaking in the heavenly Kingdom, so that "tongues" of all kinds could not cease eternally), and truly knows everything (as opposed to those who only think they do, not referring to anyone on this site, of course ;))

It is hard to believe "perfect" refers to the Bible, as we know it, since one great meaning of "perfect" is "complete", and we know that the Bible itself says if all the only Perfect Man did was written, "the world itself could not contain the books that should be written."(John 21:25)

In addition to the Bible's own statement in that reference, there is the matter of the manuscripts from which the Bible is translated. True, what has been found in latter times is said to conform remarkably to older forms, yet, and still, the manuscripts (scrolls, and such) are not in 100% complete (perfect) condition. There are gaps, there are "fragments".

All of that is not to say I don't believe the Bible as we have it is enough for our salvation and kingdom living. I do, in fact, believe it is wholly adequate and God-breathed, as is. However, I find it much more difficult to believe that all of God's doings, or all of Jesus', or the Holy Spirit's truth or workings could be contained in 66 books. Apparently, men in the past had doubts about some of the books now removed from Protestant bibles (apocrypha). So, who could determine that the way it is now is perfect?

And by the way, OT is not in the same book order in Christian Bibles as in Jewish, begging the question, which of those orders is "perfect"?

Upvote 0
T

TheOneandOnlySummerTime

I have never heard anyone speak in tounges...and yet I have been raised to respect the works of the Holy Spirit through man...and so when my soul longs I pour out my prayers in an un-known language.
We go to a Baptist Church, and recently got a new youth leader, one sunday morning while talking he flippantly mocked the workings of the Holy spirit specially mentioning tounges, the comment was brief but still enough to cause offense, I felt very strongly that I must stand up for the teachings of God and his spirit in me despite the deeply bread church doctrine.....

I have been in deep prayer:prayer: over this matter, and while re-reading the contested scripture, that Paul wrote "when that which is perfect has come that which is in part shall fade away"
It suddenly hit me!! I belive that Paul was being Philosophical not prophetic! I belive very strongly he was trying to prove the point that we need to keep our eyes on the prize....

Listen to this : :wave: he was saying that even all the amazing things that God has given us on earth are nothing compared to his True Glory.....

AND then he used a philospohical statement to prove his point which was
"When that which is perfect has come that which is part shall fade away"
Think about it! This statement holds true for ANYTHING ....If the PERFECT Diet pill was found no-one would EVER buy any other diet pill....If a new PERFECT cure for cancer was discovered NOONE would ever use Kemotherapy! Do you see he was simple trying to show us that no matter how great things are they will ALWAYS fade away with perfection and so we need to focus on God and his love for us, He wasn't telling us that those 3 things would, while we were on earth suddenly be un-needed but that NOTHING not even those three amazing gifts Can save your soul or compare to Gods Splendor! :):prayer:

Upvote 0

God Child

Anointed Servant
Apr 25, 2005
fairbanks, Alaska
✟23,851.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try not to measure gifts or fruits of the spirit in yourself/others "I have these gifts, fruits etc which ones you got?" don't focus on your "greatness" or anothers "greatness" and try to measure it, focus on God's GREATNESS and realize it cannot be measured.

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TheOneandOnlySummerTime said:
I have never heard anyone speak in tounges...and yet I have been raised to respect the works of the Holy Spirit through man...and so when my soul longs I pour out my prayers in an un-known language.

We go to a Baptist Church, and recently got a new youth leader, one sunday morning while talking he flippantly mocked the workings of the Holy spirit specially mentioning tounges, the comment was brief but still enough to cause offense, I felt very strongly that I must stand up for the teachings of God and his spirit in me despite the deeply bread church doctrine.....

I have been in deep prayer:prayer: over this matter, and while re-reading the contested scripture, that Paul wrote "when that which is perfect has come that which is in part shall fade away"
It suddenly hit me!! I belive that Paul was being Philosophical not prophetic! I belive very strongly he was trying to prove the point that we need to keep our eyes on the prize....

Listen to this : :wave: he was saying that even all the amazing things that God has given us on earth are nothing compared to his True Glory.....

AND then he used a philospohical statement to prove his point which was
"When that which is perfect has come that which is part shall fade away"
Think about it! This statement holds true for ANYTHING ....If the PERFECT Diet pill was found no-one would EVER buy any other diet pill....If a new PERFECT cure for cancer was discovered NOONE would ever use Kemotherapy! Do you see he was simple trying to show us that no matter how great things are they will ALWAYS fade away with perfection and so we need to focus on God and his love for us, He wasn't telling us that those 3 things would, while we were on earth suddenly be un-needed but that NOTHING not even those three amazing gifts Can save your soul or compare to Gods Splendor! :):prayer:

1 cor 13:10 But when that which is perfect[Prophecy is completed] , then that which is in part shall be done away with.

go to 1 cor 13:8 prophecies, they will fail,tongues, they shall cease,the gift of Knowledge, shall vanish....

this are about and beyond gifts from God not human abilities

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2004
✟133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A Brother In Christ said:
1 cor 13:10 But when that which is perfect[Prophecy is completed] , then that which is in part shall be done away with.

go to 1 cor 13:8 prophecies, they will fail,tongues, they shall cease,the gift of Knowledge, shall vanish....

this are about and beyond gifts from God not human abilities

Awh, boloney. That which is perfect is Christ, and Christ is not yet come! Besides, that which is in part, includes knowledge. You've done added those words "the gift of" to knowledge to fit with your theology (because they sure aren't in the text!)

TC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
truthcounsellor said:
Awh, boloney. That which is perfect is Christ, and Christ is not yet come! Besides, that which is in part, includes knowledge. You've done added those words "the gift of" to knowledge to fit with your theology (because they sure aren't in the text!)

TC

2 tim 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God preadventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

in the context it talks about prophecy

this word thing is in the neuter...my saviour is not a thing

Christ is alway masculine
bible is always feminine

do a word study...check it out

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gal 5:13 For, brethren ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

My brother knows Hebrew and greek... yet I do understand enough about greek to direct you to where to look

Gal 5:25 Since we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.