Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is man's ambition to build himself a congregation of his own, to be esteemed by others in his self made position, and to gain financial profit through that position. It was not Paul's ambition, nor Peter's, nor the Lord's. For from out of the body of Christ are we to pray, touch, hug, share and be called as well.

Churches are to be known by their location, such as the church at Corinth, or of Laodicea, not by WOF terms that stand out as WOF assemblies, and for money to be used for anything but to help feed the destitute. Judas may have been carrying a money bag, but he wasn't in search of a vacant cathedral. Those funds were to go to the ministering of all the local saints.

Micah wrote it well, that "the heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money." What was God's reply to this? "...yet will they lean upon the Lord, and say, Is not the Lord among us? none evil can come upon us. Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest.

And so we wonder why we see so many buildings where believers congregate folding? Because pastors want more wealth, especially among the WOF camps.. These esteemed leaders move from place to place, from one assembly that had not heard the prosperity message, to another, and another, until they find their riches from larger and larger contributions.

A pastor I know was never content to be just another member in a group, but moved where the donations were the greatest and the people ignorant of that same give-and-it-will-be-given message. And so they gave to him from all over the US and South America, especially Brazil, where he, at last, became a millionaire. Show me anywhere in Scripture where such as this took place. You can't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'm absolutely certain no one in the body of Christ is destined for ministry in the way we have known it to be over the past numerous centuries. Fulltime occupations that require salaries be paid to pastors, associate pastors, childrens' teachers, music ministers, etc. don't line up with the Word of God. There is simply no place where such a secular-like position can be found in any of the New Testament.

Where would one find such as we have today within the pages of the Bible? Where are the huge churches, the fulltime paid ministries, the big choirs, the mosh pit-like worship services and conventions? Please, someone show me.

The truth is, we have lost our way. All the crusades in the world are organized around the personal agendas of men. They are not supported in Scripture. The disciples spoke in what we would today call town squares and in areas where the public gathered. Not one convention was held in the New Testament, nor were there preparations being made to build cathedrals, monasteries, church buildings or temples.

For the Most high does not dwell in temples made with hands, but in the hearts of believers. Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? So then, why make all that fusss over building programs? Instead, peaceably come together in one another's homes, or start your own homebased gathering, and begin to recognize that we are God's hands, feet and voice, and that we too have something to give.

A person who has never been involved in full time ministries can set on his laurels and decide who deserves what.
If you have ever been involved say in Christian school,you will discover diplomas are needed
To teach and manage so....
Wait for it.....
When you work full time that is your only means of income unless your ministers are selling
Pyramid schemes at night or cleaning bathrooms.
So Christian education should not exist out side the home?
How can ego be so great as to deem what is holy and how it should be done!

No example in the New Testament ?
You think Paul starved begged or received offerings?
Philippians: 4. 14. Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction. 15. Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. 16. For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. 17. Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. 18. But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. 19. But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20. Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Gee he should have been more humble like some and sent back the gift.

The difference is that Paul knew what pleased God unlike those who desires to dictate what pleases God.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Acts 18:3, "...and because he was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them." NIV

"And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers." KJV

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Acts 18:3, "...and because he was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them." NIV

"And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers." KJV

And because of misinterpretation of that verse many a preacher has worked themselves
Into a heart attack.

Yep been there when they say : oh I could never take money for being a Pastor.

Who knows how much time Paul spent working?
But we do know he received offerings.

My question is with today's Pastors what are they not getting done while their working?

Preachers who work full time and try to Pastor are robbing God .

They are robbing God of time,I would rather some one take my money than waste my time.
It is self righteousness ,and it puts money ahead of God.

Seek ye first the kingdom of God" that means put him first not a secular job.
Either way it's pride and flesh to think your too good to receive God's provisions.

Yep Paul was a tent maker as a trade but he was a apostle 1st and relied on provisions from
Offerings as clearly stated in verse.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pastors were NEVER, EVER meant to be one man shows, which is what we have today, even if many of them have so-called associates. How do we keep from this biblical error, which has shown it's fruit in the worst ways throughout the history of today's church? We must begin to allow those within the congregation to discover what it is the Lord would have them give in a gathering in a home, with perhaps no more than a dozen in attendance. Each one giving, severally as he/she wills.

The body of Christ is not being taught to grow into ministers of their own today, but are instead being expected to sit hour after hour, endlessly, listening to whatever comes out of the mouth(s) of one or two men behind the pulpit, no matter the theme or relavancy. Ministers save previous sermons, store them in file cabinets or on their computers, in order to be able to rush to the stand when called upon, after absolutely no seeking previously done for a word in due season.

Allowing others to do this type of giving, whether it be a word from their Bibles that they ask God to help them prepare, or a song, or even a poem, whatever the Lord leads, even reading, for we are told to give heed to reading, exhoration and to doctrine -- not always a so-called teaching or preaching -- is God's way.

Sadly, lessons that are almost never taught in today's charismatic churches lie within the area of apologetics, which, if we were to take a poll, only a handful of people in a 300 member church would even know what the word means.

It is time we tell these one man shows to leave us alone, to take a hike, to go bother someone else with their dreams of fame. The body of Christ must begin to rise up out of the Babylonian captivity they are in today and declare that they too are able to give by the Spirit of God, and to take from these wanna-bes the control they relinquished to them over these many centuries.

I used to work fulltime and attend graduate school fulltime. And if I can do that, so can others. I was an above average student, who, after only one or two classes with a teacher, could see what was coming in the form of tests. Most on the graduate level professors gave out an enormous amount of information, but when their tests were given, the simplest points brought out in their lectures were all that was required on the exams. Why? Because they understood the pressures of those of us who worked and studied, and didn't hold against us our limitations, and yet the better part of us left our studies well prepared for the work ahead.

I also used to attend daily seminary training, during the morning and evening, and in between those times of training, kept alive my landscaping company which was very successful and well liked by clients.

There are those who are led in life to not be married. If it keeps them from their calling, then don't make the choice for it. That choice, to remain single, was very common among the disciples and Catholic clerics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
If the gathering is small, you can work and not depend on others to support you. If you are unable to meet the needs of the people spiritually and work full time, then they should support you (or however God would provide).

It was when the "work" of somewhat more menial tasks became a burden, the apostles appointed deacons so that they wouldn't spend their time "waiting tables" and leave the real work of the anointing they were given "on hold".

Pastors were NEVER, EVER meant to be one man shows,
Of course not. Not everyone is meant to be in the five-fold ministry. Pastors who don't utilize the anointings of the people, cause the whole flock (them included) to suffer.

The whole point of the five fold ministry is to equip the saints for the work of the ministry. Personally, if you don't have an apostle or a prophet working in your fellowship(s), then you're WAY behind the curve. Also, an anointed teacher is wonderful (as everybody knows!). But in this day of media, you can find them on the radio or the Internet, or TV. You often don't know who they are. There are MANY apostles. You almost have to apologize these days to admit your carry that anointing.

When you've got an evangelist, he reminds you that we're supposed to be winning people. He's got a powerful anointing for that and his/her stories remind you that people actually ARE white for the harvest and we're self engrossed.

You can partake somewhat of apostles and prophets by the media, but the church needs personal ministry. It needs restoration ministry and it needs personal prophesy and the cultivation of the 9 gifts of the Spirit. People need to be taught how to yield to that and have that anointing help to maintain order.

The teacher helps you to overcome and rise up. The old saying about "teaching you how to fish" really works for your everyday life (when applied).

If you're just attending home fellowships, you probably aren't getting the five fold offices in their entirety and how can you avail yourself of the wonderful difference of administration and anointing that every believer has? You won't! I believe if you're not looking either, you won't likely partake of them. Some people are content to have a potato and a piece of meet. Forget that the soup, salad, dinner roll, sauteed mushrooms, 3 vegee's, and a desert are available. We all get that way.

It is important to have an outlet for "believer's meetings" where people share the psalm, the word of exhortation, the prophecy, etc. Many churches don't do that at all. It's not practical in a large church if "everyone one of you" has something to give. You'd be there all night!

The body of Christ is not being taught to grow into ministers of their own today,
Fortunately the Lord is the Head of the church! He leads you to partake over here and listen to that one. You run across this prophecy and hear the testimony of this ministry. You buy the book, etc. It's all part of the whole ministry as the Spirit directs. It's wonderful and we're not limited.

We'd all be far more blessed if we not only had an outlet to minister, but that we were bold and did rise up and minister... to expect to minister. To let desire build up to bless and as you begin to speak out, He draws forth from the anointing and you both are blessed. I am far more blessed in the sharing than I do hearing (I think!). The living water comes out and it's a thrill!

It's wonderful after you're filled to say, "Let me tell you what I heard this week from so and so, or as I was walking out something I read... Then the Holy Spirit manifests and make it alive. If your sharing is slightly "off", then you get a sense where it goes off center. I learn more from that. It's like being the horse and the reins get tugged when you veer off. When you're on the right course, you flow comfortably and when you're done, you get the apple!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
One more bit...
Where would one find such as we have today within the pages of the Bible? Where are the huge churches, the fulltime paid ministries, the big choirs, the mosh pit-like worship services and conventions? Please, someone show me.
The church was barely grown and under much oppression in the early days. After the "Edict of Toleration" they were able to come out of the woodwork. Actual places of fellowship came out into the open. When they outlawed paganism (Sounds like a good idea!?), they took over those buildings and became "sanctioned. There were many needs and it was no doubt the ministry of the early church to meet needs.

When the needs (that could be ministered more "commonly" by others) overtook the ones that required special anointings, then those people by demand were brought forth. If they're busy fishing, etc., and they're waiting at the shore for your return, then it wouldn't take a smart fellow to figure out that the guys prospering (by anointing) can provide that need and ease that burden.

In the early days you probably didn't have "choirs" or "day care" or many of the different places giftings can operate. If people are moving in their gifting, then, as the Word says, the laborer is worthy of their hire. That would seem to say it all...

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

A person who has never been involved in full time ministries can set on his laurels and decide who deserves what.
If you have ever been involved say in Christian school,you will discover diplomas are needed
To teach and manage so....
Wait for it.....
When you work full time that is your only means of income unless your ministers are selling
Pyramid schemes at night or cleaning bathrooms.
So Christian education should not exist out side the home?
How can ego be so great as to deem what is holy and how it should be done!

No example in the New Testament ?
You think Paul starved begged or received offerings?
Philippians: 4. 14. Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction. 15. Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. 16. For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. 17. Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. 18. But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. 19. But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20. Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Gee he should have been more humble like some and sent back the gift.

The difference is that Paul knew what pleased God unlike those who desires to dictate what pleases God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You do have quite an imagination and an answer for everything. By chance do you work in PR?

It's not my imagination growing up watching my Dad Pastor as a Free Will Baptist,never accepting a salary ever,then having 2 heart attacks putting food on the table.

I know God's will for provision,and I recognize false passed down poverty dogma.

Last year I lost a good Baptist friend a deacon,musician and teacher.
Besides his demanding business and working on constructing a Church he cared for 2 people in a nursing home and had a boy with downs.

He fell flat on his face dead in his hall way,leaving behind many loved ones at the age of 50.

No I do not work in PR.
I work in God's kingdom trying to wake up the children of Fear and doubt.

Can you limit God?
Can you decide for him who he deems worthy?
Do you keep God's books is he broke and cannot afford a full time Preacher to be paid?

Since God with us Jesus Christ said the poor we will always have,are we to become poor
To help the condition,or are we to teach the truth about blessing (possession of adequate resources) prosperity (empowered to prosper) grace ( un merited favor).

We are not doing this for our entertainment,we want to promote the Gospel without legalism
And baggage.
and we don't want to see any more friends die.

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

It's not my imagination growing up watching my Dad Pastor as a Free Will Baptist,never accepting a salary ever,then having 2 heart attacks putting food on the table.

I know God's will for provision,and I recognize false passed down poverty dogma.

Last year I lost a good Baptist friend a deacon,musician and teacher.
Besides his demanding business and working on constructing a Church he cared for 2 people in a nursing home and had a boy with downs.

He fell flat on his face dead in his hall way,leaving behind many loved ones at the age of 50.

No I do not work in PR.
I work in God's kingdom trying to wake up the children of Fear and doubt.

Can you limit God?
Can you decide for him who he deems worthy?
Do you keep God's books is he broke and cannot afford a full time Preacher to be paid?

Since God with us Jesus Christ said the poor we will always have,are we to become poor
To help the condition,or are we to teach the truth about blessing (possession of adequate resources) prosperity (empowered to prosper) grace ( un merited favor).

We are not doing this for our entertainment,we want to promote the Gospel without legalism
And baggage.
and we don't want to see any more friends die.

My apologies. Please forgive me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
My apologies. Please forgive me.

No need sister there is no offence,I believe poverty is a curse that steals a person's future.

Greed is just as bad,it becomes a person's God.

God bless you and forgive me for my harsh post I truly hate discord among us.

I told my friend Truthfrees I was leaving the thread with him and I came back but shouldn't have.
Hopefully all of us can fellowship in other threads in the future.

Thankfully

John

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No need sister there is no offence,I believe poverty is a curse that steals a person's future.

And yet Jesus said:

Looking at his disciples, he said: "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
(Luke 6:20 NIV)

And another time Jesus spoke this 'positive confession':

You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."
(John 12:8 NIV)

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The condition of today's church is that secularism has taken a strong hold to whatever is being offered. Praise services are more like loud mosh pit secular rock concerts where no one wears earplugs as they stand in the front of the speakers while they hop around thinking their ears are in a safe location where damage cannot take place, which is pure bunk.

The truth is that such nonsense can cause a person to develop tinnitus and hyperacusis, all while the people thinik they are doing a service for God. It's silly to think the Lord is in any of that foolishness. But, of course, it's the foolish things of the world that we are to adopt in order to better confound the wise, right?

It is not what a man doesn't have, but what he has, that the Lord expects of him to give. No one is expected to work till they drop. Not one of us. Knowing our limits is one of the best de-stressors we can adopt for ourselves. There is simply not that much work in the kingdom of God that a person cannot wait, or even halt his/her labors. And besides, it's time the body of Christ quits relying on the same people, the same faces, the same special ones, to come to their aid with a miracle. That approach is pure hogwash, as we are all a part of the body of Christ and can do as we need ourselves. All of us are His workmanship, designed that out of our bellies also shall flow rivers of living water. It is no longer to be a one man show, for God is calling us out of bondage to set us free of such entanglements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

Greed is just as bad,it becomes a person's God.

God bless you and forgive me for my harsh post I truly hate discord among us.

I told my friend Truthfrees I was leaving the thread with him and I came back but shouldn't have.
Hopefully all of us can fellowship in other threads in the future.

Thankfully

John

Well I'm glad you came back, otherwise you wouldn't have seen my apology.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
And yet Jesus said:

Looking at his disciples, he said: "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
(Luke 6:20 NIV)

And another time Jesus spoke this 'positive confession':

You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."
(John 12:8 NIV)

peace,
Simon
There will always be rich AND poor.

Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, the Israelites leaving Egypt laden with gold, silver and costly goods, Joseph of Arimathea, Lydia the Seller of Purple, are some of many of who were rich AND blessed by the LORD.

"The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, And He adds no sorrow with it." - Proverbs 10:22

"Let the Lord be magnified, Who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant." - Psalm 35:27

"Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers." - 3 John 1:2

I've been poor, thinking this was holy. I lived by those scriptures you quoted my brother.

I'm now rich because of believing the LORD'S words about HIS blessing.

It was a hard transition to leave behind the idea that poverty is holy.

Both sets of scripture are from the LORD.

So what do we do?

We can't throw out either set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Poor = Poor in spirit.

Matthew 5:3

(ALT) "Happy [or, Blessed, and through verse 11] [are] the poor in spirit, because theirs is the kingdom of the heavens.

(Anderson) Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(ASV) Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(BBE) Happy are the poor in spirit: for the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

(BSV) Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(Complete Apostles' Bible) "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(CNT-ND-(eng)) Blessed are the poor of spirit, because theirs is the kingdom of the heavens.

(Mace) Blessed are they, that are of an humble spirit, for of such is the kingdom of the Messias.

(Darby) Blessed are the poor in spirit, for *theirs* is the kingdom of the heavens.

(DRP (Gospels)) "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(DRB) Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(EMTV) "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(ERV) "Great blessings belong to those who know they are spiritually in need. God's kingdom belongs to them.

(ESV) "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(Etheridge) BLESSED (are) the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(FBV) “Blessed are those who recognize they are spiritually poor, for the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

(Noyes NT) Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(GNB) "Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor; the Kingdom of heaven belongs to them!

(GW) "Blessed are those who recognize they are spiritually helpless. The kingdom of heaven belongs to them.

(ISV) "How blessed are those who are destitute in spirit, because the kingdom from heaven belongs to them!

(LITV-TSP) Blessed are the poor in spirit! For theirs is the kingdom of the Heavens.

(JPS-ASVII) Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(Julia) Happy the poor in spirit: for their's is the kingdom of the heavens.

(KJV) Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(KJV+TVM) BlessedG3107 are the poorG4434 in spiritG4151: forG3754 theirsG846 isG2076 [G5748] the kingdomG932 of heavenG3772.

(KJV+) BlessedG3107 are theG3588 poorG4434 in spirit:G4151 forG3754 theirsG846 isG2076 theG3588 kingdomG932 of heaven.G3772

(Lamsa NT) Blessed are the poor in pride, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(LEB) "Blessed are the poor in spirit, because theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(LEB (+)) “Blessed (+) are the poor in spirit, because theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(LITV) Blessed are the poor in spirit! For theirs is the kingdom of the Heavens.

(MKJV) Blessed are the poor in spirit! For theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.

(Murdock) Blessed are the poor in spirit for the kingdom of heaven is theirs!

(NHEB) "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

(RYLT-NT) 'Blessed the poor in spirit -- because theirs is the reign of the heavens.

(RNT) "Blessed are the poor in spirit! For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(RV) Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(Sawyer) Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(Bishops) Blessed (are) the poore in spirite: for theirs is the kyngdome of heauen.

(MSTC) "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(The Scriptures 1998+) Blessed are the poor in spirit, because theirs is the reign of the heavens.

(Webster) Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(WTNT) Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(WhistonNT[1745]) Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(WNT) "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for to them belongs the Kingdom of the Heavens.

(YLT) `Happy the poor in spirit--because theirs is the reign of the heavens.

Gill brings it home:

Blessed are the poor in spirit,.... Not the poor in purse, or who are so with respect to things temporal: for though God has chosen and called many, who are in such a condition of life, yet not all; the kingdom of heaven cannot be said to belong to them all, or only; but such as are poor in a spiritual sense. All mankind are spiritually poor; they have nothing to eat that is fit and proper; nor any clothes to wear, but rags; nor are they able to purchase either; they have no money to buy with; they are in debt, owe ten thousand talents, and have nothing to pay; and in such a condition, that they are not able to help themselves. The greater part of mankind are insensible of this their condition; but think themselves rich, and increased with goods: there are some who are sensible of it, who see their poverty and want, freely acknowledge it, bewail it, and mourn over it; are humbled for it, and are broken under a sense of it; entertain low and mean thoughts of themselves; seek after the true riches, both of grace and glory; and frankly acknowledge, that all they have, or hope to have, is owing to the free grace of God. Now these are the persons intended in this place; who are not only "poor", but are poor "in spirit"; in their own spirits, in their own sense, apprehension, and judgment: and may even be called "beggars", as the word may be rendered; for being sensible of their poverty, they place themselves at the door of mercy, and knock there; their language is, "God be merciful"; their posture is standing, watching, and waiting, at wisdom's gates, and at the posts of her door; they are importunate, will have no denial, yet receive the least favour with thankfulness. Now these are pronounced "blessed", for this reason,

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Poor = Poor in spirit.

Matthew 5:3

Amen!

Matthew does tell us that Jesus did indeed say the poor in spirit are blessed.

But I was talking about when Jesus also said 'blessed are the poor', which was a reference to material poverty. Recorded by Luke.

Jesus: Blessed are the poor in spirit.
Jesus: Blessed are the poor.

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Amen!

Matthew does tell us that Jesus did indeed say the poor in spirit are blessed.

But I was talking about when Jesus also said 'blessed are the poor', which was a reference to material poverty. Recorded by Luke.

Jesus: Blessed are the poor in spirit.
Jesus: Blessed are the poor.

peace,
Simon

I consider it both. James says that the poor are rich in faith. Faith many times is a response to a need. The poor have many needs therefore they have more faith. Yet growth in faith will bring you out of mental problems. And growth in faith will make you ready to receive from God also. We all cry to God for help financially at times. Is not this proper as Phil 4:19 says God will supply all our needs? Or is God impotent to help us with our physical needs?

Blessings,
Scott

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I consider it both. James says that the poor are rich in faith. Faith many times is a response to a need. The poor have many needs therefore they have more faith. Yet growth in faith will bring you out of mental problems. And growth in faith will make you ready to receive from God also. We all cry to God for help financially at times. Is not this proper as Phil 4:19 says God will supply all our needs? Or is God impotent to help us with our physical needs?

Blessings,
Scott

I agree.
Of course God is able to help with physical needs.

My posts about this were about the phrase:
"I believe poverty is a curse that steals a person's future."
Which I disagree with. Jesus said 'the poor (material poverty) are blessed'.

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0