• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured From Daniel To Revelation

Discussion in 'Eschatology - Endtimes & Prophecy Forum' started by A71, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Truth7t7

Truth7t7 Newbie

+782
    Christian
    Married
    A71:

No Truth7t, you are wrong. It is 490 years.
    Please stop parroting erroneous translations, it edifies no-one.

"Shabu'im" is the Hebrew word used in Daniel, and it does not mean "weeks", so your pet theory needs to go.

It means a heptad of years, seven years, (from the root word of something being 'sevened').

Much prophecy hinges on understanding this, so it is no small matter.

Get this, and we can go forward.

Truth7t7 Response:

I guess we stop here, because my holy bible reads in Daniel 9:24 "Seventy Weeks" 490 literal days.

Just as Daniel 10:2-3 states Daniel mourned and fasted for "Three Full Weeks" 21 literal days. You think he fasted for 21 years?

Same "Strong's" Hebrew word in my KJV ( Weeks/Shabuwa) For both Daniel 9:24-25 & Daniel 10:2-3

God put Daniel 10:2-3 right where it belongs, the Day/Year teaching is destroyed in its presence.

We will disagree.

Thanks for the response!

Jesus Christ Is Lord

Truth7t7

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Douggg

Douggg anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist

+1,737
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It is not literal days.

Read down through this. I included enough verses that you will know that it is talking about the Babylonian exile.

2Chronicles 36:

18 And all the vessels of the house of God, great and small, and the treasures of the house of the LORD, and the treasures of the king, and of his princes; all these he brought to Babylon.

19 And they burnt the house of God, and brake down the wall of Jerusalem, and burnt all the palaces thereof with fire, and destroyed all the goodly vessels thereof.

20 And them that had escaped from the sword carried he away to Babylon; where they were servants to him and his sons until the reign of the kingdom of Persia:

21 To fulfil the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her sabbaths: for as long as she lay desolate she kept sabbath, to fulfil threescore and ten years.

What had happened is the Jews worked the land for 70 years straight, not observing the shmita cycle sabbath year, which the land was to remain rest, no crops grown that year (among other things).

Now going to Daniel 9. In verse 2, Daniel was praying, indicating that as he understood it that Jeremiah had prophesied 70 years, that that Jerusalem would remain desolate - the reason being in 2Chronicles36:21 above, that the land being given rest, to rejuvenate itself so that it could produce crops.

2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

The 70 years of Babylonian captivity accomplished the rest period for the land - which the rest period was on a 7 year cycle. So it looks like 10 shmita cycles.

But more shmita cycles were determined on Jerusalem and Daniel's people to complete the things that Gabriel informed Daniel of in verse 24. So the 70 weeks is not 70 weeks of days, but 70 shmita cycles.... or 70 sabbath years.... which the sabbath year is every 7 years.

A shmita cycle is every 7 years - which the confirmation of the covenant is on the shmita cycles. Who has every heard of a 7 year peace treaty anyway? The Antichrist will confirm the Mt. Sinai covenant for the 7 year shmita cycle as Moses required in Deuteronomy 31:9-13. The Antichrist may not do it at the proper time - because it says in Daniel 7 he seeks to change the laws and seasons.

3. Truth7t7

Truth7t7 Newbie

+782
    Christian
    Married
    Douggg if Daniel's "Seventy Weeks" were to mean "Four Hundred And Ninety Years"
    it would be written as you see it, "It's Not"!

Daniel 10:2-3 Daniel mourned and fasted for "Three Full Weeks" 21 literal days, you think he fasted 21 years.

I posted Genesis 5:5-8 below for your example in understanding this biblical fact.

Daniel 9:24 "Seventy Weeks" represent 490 literal days.

Genesis 5:5-8
    5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
    6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:
    7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
    8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.

Your reference to a 70 year Babylonian captivity has no bearing on "Seventy Weeks" and its interpretation.

4. A71

A71 Well-Known Member

+261
    Christian
    Single
    Truth7t. The overwhelming majority of people understand 490 years. Does that make them right? No. But in this instance there is a reason for this, and it is simply because it is the correct understanding, and what you are saying is not correct.

Several people have corrected you, but you don't agree. It comes to the point where I don't see any further progress being possible.

Above I have quoted you, because this is a fallacious assumption. God makes the rules, not us. You have no right to say how God should have spoken. I understand what you are driving at, but you are being presumptuous.

God's division of the 490 years into 7 units of 70 is how God wanted it. Our job is to study God's Word, not Tell him how he could have spoken better. Be careful with this; it starts naively, but can end up being quite corrosive.

I can think of three very good reasons why God describes 490 years in factors.

5. Douggg

Douggg anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist

+1,737
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It is not written 490 years - because the unit of measure is a sabbath year. The shmita cycle. The confirmation of the covenant, the law made by Moses is on the shmita cycle in the text. Deuteronomy 31:9-13.

Also we have 20/20 hindsight to know that it was not literal days - because of the interval between when the command to rebuild Jerusalem - was far more than 49 days plus 434 days - till messiah came.

How long had the temple been standing, until Jesus rode into Jerusalem riding the donkey? 483 days? That's only about a year and a half. We know that is not true.

6. Truth7t7

Truth7t7 Newbie

+782
    Christian
    Married
    A71:

Truth7t. The overwhelming majority of people understand 490 years. Does that make them right? No. But in this instance there is a reason for this, and it is simply because it is the correct understanding, and what you are saying is not correct.

Several people have corrected you, but you don't agree. It comes to the point where I don't see any further progress being possible.

Above I have quoted you, because this is a fallacious assumption. God makes the rules, not us. You have no right to say how God should have spoken. I understand what you are driving at, but you are being presumptuous.

God's division of the 490 years into 7 units of 70 is how God wanted it. Our job is to study God's Word, not Tell him how he could have spoken better. Be careful with this; it starts naively, but can end up being quite corrosive.

I can think of three very good reasons why God describes 490 years in factors.

Truth7t7 Response:

It's my belief you are adding to God's words "Seventy Weeks Times Seventy Weeks"

God's word in Daniel 9:24 states "Seventy Weeks"

We will disagree, we have ran around the bush several times, I see a literal "Seventy Weeks" you believe "Five Thousand Eight Hundred and Four Score Weeks".

Thanks for the response!

Jesus Christ Is Lord

Truth7t7

7. A71

A71 Well-Known Member

+261
    Christian
    Single
    Interesting....
    I assume that this convergence of time frames is the reason why Futurists place the 70th week in the future?