• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Freedom from OCD!

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ALL sickness and disease is from the devil!!!!!
I didn't not say he or you were the devil.
He has a case of imaginations exalting itself against the knowledge of GOD; in the bible where it says we have to cast them down. ( 2 corinthians 10:5, James 5:16 )
The only way we can do that is to speak against the OCD or any mental disorder with the name of JESUS and they go away over time! ( Mark 16:17-18 )
If he wants total healing he would listen to what I wrote.
Plus he needs to get hands laid on him by people filled with the Holy Spirit. That also helps A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it would be helpful for all if we come to a close on this part of the discussion as there are obviously strong opinions on both sides. OCD has physiological causes just as a physical disease does, with distorted thought processes possibly due to a lack of the chemical serotonin and other factors. Similar to the way that someone might be born with diabetes or have some other hormone/chemical deficiency, and need to take medicine to make up for it. Whether you believe all those "defects" ultimately come from the devil is up to you.

Upvote 0

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really appreciate all the advice I've been a Christian for quite some time truly believe in the only begotten son of God. I do at times believe it is a strong spiritual battle. I have tried medication I have tried Citalopram and one other that I can't remember the name they just didn't seem to work I figure it is a demonic attack and will take only prayer and fasting I try to let the thoughts be but when they started wanting to come out of my mouth as if it was a strong form of Tourette's it just freaks me out the devil has always tried to use the so-called unpardonable sin scare as he does with most Christians and even the preachers of old I just hate the feelings that the devil and or OCD bring to you feelings such as Melancholy or feeling confused or feeling hopeless as if God don't even exist or you've sealed your doom and are going to hell I know the Bible very well in fact I am a preacher I'm just in a strong battle and it's good to talk to others who have been through this onslaught of constant Blasphemous thoughts

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really appreciate all the advice I've been a Christian for quite some time truly believe in the only begotten son of God. I do at times believe it is a strong spiritual battle. I have tried medication I have tried Citalopram and one other that I can't remember the name they just didn't seem to work I figure it is a demonic attack and will take only prayer and fasting I try to let the thoughts be but when they started wanting to come out of my mouth as if it was a strong form of Tourette's it just freaks me out the devil has always tried to use the so-called unpardonable sin scare as he does with most Christians and even the preachers of old I just hate the feelings that the devil and or OCD bring to you feelings such as Melancholy or feeling confused or feeling hopeless as if God don't even exist or you've sealed your doom and are going to hell I know the Bible very well in fact I am a preacher I'm just in a strong battle and it's good to talk to others who have been through this onslaught of constant Blasphemous thoughts
You say the thoughts want to come out of your mouth...do they? Or do you just feel like they want to? Obviously there are different opinions about the matter, but I would STRONGLY suggest that you not view this as an explicit attack from the devil. I'm not saying the devil doesn't use our weaknesses against us, I'm just saying that people with OCD often mistake their mental problem for a spiritual one. I'm not trying to keep the debate going, I'm just genuinely concerned as I know that many people with OCD often feel defective spiritually when in actuality their problems stem from being unable to process certain thoughts smoothly. Of course you can believe whatever you want, but I would highly recommend researching OCD and ERP therapy thoroughly, including the scientific aspects of OCD. Have you had OCD in the past, before this theme started? If so what did you do to get over it? And how are you dealing with your OCD now?

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The Tourettes usually happens if your working too hard or too tired. It is frightening at first just like hearing the voices but read psalms 18 Kjv aloud continuously and it will give you power. [Psalm 18 KJV]
Psalms 18:34 " He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. "
Because you are going through spiritual warfare and the warfare verses in Psalms 18 will strengthen you.
Ephesians 6:10-17 you should read so you have all your armor on. So when the voices come you can Speak against them with the Word of GOD which is the Sword.
I assure you the thoughts do go away over time!
Curse the OCD or any disorder you have by the power and authority of JESUS.

Upvote 0

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You say the thoughts want to come out of your mouth...do they? Or do you just feel like they want to? Obviously there are different opinions about the matter, but I would STRONGLY suggest that you not view this as an explicit attack from the devil. I'm not saying the devil doesn't use our weaknesses against us, I'm just saying that people with OCD often mistake their mental problem for a spiritual one. I'm not trying to keep the debate going, I'm just genuinely concerned as I know that many people with OCD often feel defective spiritually when in actuality their problems stem from being unable to process certain thoughts smoothly. Of course you can believe whatever you want, but I would highly recommend researching OCD and ERP therapy thoroughly, including the scientific aspects of OCD. Have you had OCD in the past, before this theme started? If so what did you do to get over it? And how are you dealing with your OCD now?
I never had this in the past it's only when I truly gave my heart to God I started hearing curse words against the Holy Ghost and then they went away years later it came back with a vengeance panic attacks the realization what have you and I just couldn't seem to get over it and it got worse and worse

Upvote 0

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Tourettes usually happens if your working too hard or too tired. It is frightening at first just like hearing the voices but read psalms 18 Kjv aloud continuously and it will give you power. [Psalm 18 KJV]
Psalms 18:34 " He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. "
Because you are going through spiritual warfare and the warfare verses in Psalms 18 will strengthen you.
Ephesians 6:10-17 you should read so you have all your armor on. So when the voices come you can Speak against them with the Word of GOD which is the Sword.
Hey man I know the Bible quite well I certainly don't claim to know it all but I know it very well sometimes it seems the more you fight the worse it gets sometimes you just have to trust God but it does get very strange the battle is intense especially for me being a preacher the Mind thoughts were okay but it's when they want to come out of my mouth or they do come out of my mouth as if it's some type of compulsion I guess the thoughts came so much and so bad that it begin to try to come out of my mouth as a compulsion well I would say something along the lines of the you know is demonic and then I would put a not the end of it to cancel it out it became a crazy obsession I'm embarrassed to say I still fight this though the fear and everything is alleviated quite a bit because it's been there for so long my mind it's become like a habit to read the word Holy Ghost and feel the feelings I do and hear the thoughts I do deep down I know it's not me but it's all up to God

Upvote 0

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you ever had I guess what I would call Blasphemous Tourette's where it seems as if your mouth is even trying to conjure up ungodly Blasphemous thoughts against the spirit it's just really weird it's as if another you was talking not the real you

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OCD often targets what we value most, so it makes sense that you would not struggle with blasphemous thoughts until after you became a Christian. Did you have other obsessions before then? (Common obsessions are fear of germs, fear of committing a sin/immoral act/violent act, fear of needing things "just so," etc.). Some people have OCD starting at a young age, and others get it later. It isn't clear from your post, but do you actually say the things you're afraid of saying?

Upvote 0

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Honestly I can say I've never had any type of o_c_d tendencies I mean I had panic attacks severely I could not hardly function which is then bring me to christ i have been saved for almost 10 years now so the Blasphemous thoughts against the Holy Ghost never really came until the first time I open the bible and read about the unpardonable sin it was truly scary but as the Bible says perfect love cast out all fear but all through my walk the devil has tried to use Blasphemous thoughts God has used me greatly I'm even a pastor now but I think what truly happened is Satan Unleashed in early 2013 and onslaught of evil faults which then I began to obsess you know get on the internet constantly to confirm that I have not committed the sin do compulsions I've done them so much that now I'm working hard to try and stop the compulsions my compulsions consist of saying not after the Blasphemous thought but it's so crazy that it comes out of my mouth and I've developed a strange bizarre compulsion of doing the Blasphemous thought but putting a not in the sentence which then makes it an unknown Blasphemous statement but still it sucks and I do not want to do it anymore..... Sorry if some words don't make sense I normally don't proofread because I guess the autocorrect

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When you say it "comes out of your mouth," what do you mean by that? That you mouth it silently? That you actually vocalize it?
I mean my main thought is bleep the Holy Spirit which I know is not coming from me so in my desperation and fighting it for so long I developed a compulsion or I would say allowed F not the Holy Spirit or I would either say the actual curse words but constantly my mouth is saying that very compulsion and I can't get it to stop it literally wants to say it now without the not so as Erp goes I don't know I figure if I just said it would stop not that I mean it from the heart

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's like something is forcing me that is why I asked if OCD can make you speak things against your will I don't say the actual phrase but I put a knot on it saying F not the Holy Ghost it's just a very weird compulsion I'm not a blasphemer by no means but this OCD or demonic attack came so straw I've even heard of preachers of old having an urge to speak against the Holy Ghost yes I've had a few slip of the tongues which scared me I do not want to speak this way but it's a constant battle so the only way I knew was to say it out loud but put a knot on it by saying F not the Holy Spirit obviously if you took the knot out it would be a blast from the statement it's crazy I don't know why I do it OCD maybe demonic attack sure

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not an expert by any means, but speaking from my experience with OCD it does look like OCD to me. It sounds like your obsession has a strong hold on you so maybe you should consider getting a therapist to help you work your way out of it? If you're not comfortable with face to face therapy, I know there are some therapists who do phone/Skype therapy (Dr. Ian Osborn, a Christian therapist, comes to mind). My guess is that you have suffered from this obsession for so long that you don't even know which thoughts/desires are really yours (I mean you do, but your OCD has you confused). Obviously you know the truth, because you have said it several times - that you love God and don't want these thoughts. But your OCD has gotten you doubting and fearful to the point that you don't trust that deep-down desire, you don't trust your intuition - basically, you don't trust yourself to NOT say these things. I've heard of other people who are terrified that they're going to yell obscenities in church. Of course, the fear makes you feel like you want to even more, even if you really don't want to! My advice is still the same as the advice I've given in the past, which is to let the scary thoughts come. You're not welcoming them by doing that, you're just essentially saying, "Yes, I know you're coming, but I'm not going to let you bother me." If you treat the thoughts as a threat, your mind will respond as if they are a threat - which it is doing. You think that you really mean the thoughts, so you are terrified that you want them, and that you will say them. If you treat the thoughts as though they are just meaningless, and that you don't mean them or want them, your brain will eventually come to see them as meaningless, and you won't feel the "urge" to say them anymore. Of course, in conjunction with ignoring the thoughts is not performing compulsions, as best as you are able. Start out small if you need to. Set a time limit - for example "For half an hour, I'm going to practice ignoring the thoughts and not doing any compulsions." Then go about your life, doing whatever activity you would normally be doing. The thoughts will continue coming at you, of course - you can't control that. What you CAN control is your response to them. You can choose to ignore them and treat them as meaningless. Basically, as long as you act afraid of the thoughts, and act like they're a threat, your mind will continue to send them.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to post a link to a channel with some videos that you might find helpful, about dealing with OCD and intrusive thoughts. I haven't watched all of them, but I watched #3 and #4 and found them informative.
Katie d'Ath

Upvote 0

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going to post a link to a channel with some videos that you might find helpful, about dealing with OCD and intrusive thoughts. I haven't watched all of them, but I watched #3 and #4 and found them informative.
Katie d'Ath

Upvote 0

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And too I work Tuesday through Friday in the evening and into the night sometimes I feel like driving makes it worse I deliver meds for a living to different facilities I drive pretty far and I think that triggers a lot of my Blasphemous thoughts question these Blasphemous thoughts when they come they produce a numb feeling within me as if I'm just an empty shell and nothing has meaning it's pretty scary but I'm pretty used to it but then at the same time it's still whears my body out

Upvote 0