New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FRANCE France moves to ban homeschooling in 2021 - National Association of Catholic Families

French homeschool numbers have been increasing over the years. In efforts to end separatism, France is looking to stop homeschool except in rare cases and align even independent private schools with the same common core curriculum. This is in part to stop Islamic support for sharia law in France.

I am sympathetic to a point, but one extreme (sharia law) does not necessarily justify another extreme (loss of educational freedom).

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
FRANCE France moves to ban homeschooling in 2021 - National Association of Catholic Families

French homeschool numbers have been increasing over the years. In efforts to end separatism, France is looking to stop homeschool except in rare cases and align even independent private schools with the same common core curriculum. This is in part to stop Islamic support for sharia law in France.

I am sympathetic to a point, but one extreme (sharia law) does not necessarily justify another extreme (loss of educational freedom).
It also stops the bad science and revisionist history sometimes taught to Christian homeschoolers.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Couldn't agree more. Same for the independent private schools: true, many need to be closed, but many others are actually a blessing to their students who find themselves more comfortable in another system than the usual one. I wish we could find balance between fighting troublesome schools and closing many good schools. For one real problem, they are always way too many collateral damages.

• Agree
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It also stops the bad science and revisionist history sometimes taught to Christian homeschoolers.
True, but if you mean creationism or other things like that, this is very rare in France.
Moreover, most of the time, Christian (or especially Catholics as this is a very Catholic phenomenon) parents who don't want their kids in the Republic schools register in independent or alternatives schools. Homeschooling is not a Christian habit here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's a hard one. Some Christians and Muslims have less of a crazy belief system. And they will be punish. Some liberals also homeschool. If I had a child right now . I would home school at least until COVID-19 is over. Not that I would be the happiest about it. But putting my self and parents in danger would be a big No.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There is nothing in this that prevents parents from teaching their children almost whatever they want.

It will prevent parents from isolating their children from a basic education. Very different things.

In the midst of a pandemic, it seems a strange time to be arguing for the state's right to cram kids into classrooms, regardless of their parents wishes.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is in part to stop Islamic support for sharia law in France.
France is in a dilemma because for so long it allowed unbridled immigration from an alien culture that by and large has no intention of assimilating. Now how does it say Christians can home school but Muslim can't?

Of course there are abuses and nothing is perfect, but Christians homeschooling in the US take us back to our godly cultural roots, not away from them, and should be encouraged.

• Agree
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
France is in a dilemma because for so long it allowed unbridled immigration from an alien culture that by and large has no intention of assimilating. Now how does it say Christians can home school but Muslim can't?

Of course there are abuses and nothing is perfect, but Christians homeschooling in the US take us back to our godly cultural roots, not away from them, and should be encouraged.

Algeria, where most of the Muslim immigrants came from, was not just a colony of France but was actually part of France, so they didn't just let immigrants in for no reason. They had every right to come to France, as French citizens.

One of the greatest philosophers of modern times in France, Jacques Derrida, was from Algeria. He was also a Jew.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

It also lends support to the bad science and revisionist history sometimes taught to students forced into the indoctrination of government run "educational" institutions.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Algeria, where most of the Muslim immigrants came from, was not just a colony of France but was actually part of France, so they didn't just let immigrants in for no reason. They had every right to come to France, as French citizens.
Algeria attained independence in 1962. It was mostly after that that France's immigration stepped up.

Proportion of immigrant population of France 1921-2015 in 2000

10891b60bead9520a49c07070aeb74d9611bda54.png

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,560.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Algeria attained independence in 1962. It was mostly after that that France's immigration stepped up.

Proportion of immigrant population of France 1921-2015 in 2000

10891b60bead9520a49c07070aeb74d9611bda54.png

It looks like they had a huge influx from 1965 to 1975 and after 2000. Both after they made independence. So it appears that France dis indeed allow a large influx of immigrants and not citizens.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It looks like they had a huge influx from 1965 to 1975 and after 2000. Both after they made independence. So it appears that France dis indeed allow a large influx of immigrants and not citizens.
Yes. And there were warning voices along the way, including that of a perhaps unlikely cultural guardian, Bridget Bardot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In the midst of a pandemic, it seems a strange time to be arguing for the state's right to cram kids into classrooms, regardless of their parents wishes.

Good point. I live in civilized California where schools are generally being held online. Actually near me the exceptions are private schools.

Upvote 0