Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no way we will have a large force in Iraq for four more years. There are millions of folks like me who support the effort in Iraq but we would drop our support if we still have a major force there after December 31, 2006.

Plus the Republicans know that if there is not a significant draw down of troops that they will take a major hit in the midterm elections in November 2006.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
KenH said:
There is no way we will have a large force in Iraq for four more years. There are millions of folks like me who support the effort in Iraq but we would drop our support if we still have a major force there after December 31, 2006.

Plus the Republicans know that if there is not a significant draw down of troops that they will take a major hit in the midterm elections in November 2006.

Alas, this puts the Repubs in a no-win situation, then. If they do pull out, then Iraq's infrastructure will disintegrate, US corporations will lose their profits, repubs will lose corporate support, the dems will play it off as a Colossal republican failure, and the Repubs will take an even bigger hit in the midterm elections.

Upvote 0

puppydogs

Aug 20, 2005
✟116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
KenH said:

What happens come the end of 2006 and Iraq is still ungoverned?

Upvote 0

KenH

Christian
Aug 1, 2003
Arkansas
✟13,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then we still need to withdraw. If it can't be made governable after almost four years then I don't think staying another four years will change that situation.

By the end of next year we had best be substantially out of Iraq, say, less than 50,000 troops left, or else even as a supporter of eliminating the threat that Saddam Hussein posed, I will consider us to be in a Vietnam-like quagmire.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟570,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
puppydogs said:
What happens come the end of 2006 and Iraq is still ungoverned?

I worry about that too. As the Iraq government needs to have their constitution and government in place. And in order and what would happen if they weren't ready yet. They need time to prepare.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
KenH said:
Then we still need to withdraw. If it can't be made governable after almost four years then I don't think staying another four years will change that situation.

By the end of next year we had best be substantially out of Iraq, say, less than 50,000 troops left, or else even as a supporter of eliminating the threat that Saddam Hussein posed, I will consider us to be in a Vietnam-like quagmire.

And a quagmire is exactly what the dems need to steamroller the Repubs at the next election.

Of course, if we pull out early, and let Iraq disintegrate after all of Dubya's pounding on the War Drum, then the Iraq war will be written off as a failure, and the Dems will use it to steamroller the Repubs at the next election.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KenH

Christian
Aug 1, 2003
Arkansas
✟13,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that if the elections go well and we have a substantial reduction in our troop presence by November of 2006 that the GOP can maintain control of the House and Senate in the midterm elections, Nathan Poe. But they could lose a little ground.

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
KenH said:
I think that if the elections go well and we have a substantial reduction in our troop presence by November of 2006 that the GOP can maintain control of the House and Senate in the midterm elections, Nathan Poe. But they could lose a little ground.

A very large "if". I'm curious, though, as to how the Pentagon plans to maintain current troop levels for another four years. I don't see how that's remotely realistic, at least without a major withdrawal from South Korea.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟223,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
KenH said:
There is no way we will have a large force in Iraq for four more years.
Awww, c'mon, why not? We're not losing many people over there anymore, and it's only costing us about 16 thousand million dollars
($16,000,000,000) a week. Why not just stay? We can always print more money.

Whee!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chuck_Darwin

Sep 21, 2002
Holland, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,023.00
Faith
Atheist
Iraq is the bed that GWB made now he has to sleep in it.

If Iraq is not stabalized by the time his second term is over, I think we should send him and him cabinet to live there until it is working properly. If he believes in accountablity so much, make him accountable for his actions...

Upvote 0