Foru.ms - a new beginning and a fresh start (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunMessenger

Devoted To The Holy Spirit Of God
Apr 27, 2006
New England
✟202,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps the Admins that resigned over this should be brought back if the old way is established once again and those who decided this should be done and convinced Erwin of that should be let go.
I agree

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will state it one more time, we need to know if Erwin is going to change this site back or not. That is the question and weneed Erwin to give a clear answer and then we will all know what to do.

I don't like the new name either but I don't think just changing the name back is going to solve the problems.

What else needs to be changed?

I would have to gander that most of the conservative Christians (which happen to be who is making the most noise right now) want a lot more things changed or reverted back to how they were before 7/7.

The problem with that, though, is that there were some serious issues with the way the forum was organized and run before that time and which brought about the changes in the first place...

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟22,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Sure they do.

A truth is not true for you if it did not start out with your subjective perception.

We are subjective creatures after-all ;)
No, what happens in history is true whether or not anyone sees it. In the case of Christ's resurrection appearances, we can evaluate the relevant texts and see whether or not they indicated a "vision" or an actual appearance outside of the person involved.

Now we do need to move beyond that and make value judgments about whether or not that truth actually corresponds to what is real or, in essence, objectively true. But something is never true for you if you have not made it yours or part of your experiences and beliefs...
Then I don't believe the language you were using before is consistent.

Well that's certainly true. But we can at least try.
No, I think when terms become too loaded to be of any epistemological use then we need to find other terms to use.

He has made conflicting statements about that over the years and the majority of members, both Christian and non, looked upon the Nicene Creed as the determination (in a lowest common denominator sort of way) of who is and is not Christian.

It was the criteria for who could formerly post in the "Christians Only" section and it is that change on July 7th that was the main reason why many conservative members no longer wanted Christian Forums to be named "Christian Forums"...
And what is the problem with that distinction? As Paul indicates in 1 Cor 11:19, "No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval." Division in the Church is evil, but in this case (in the case of determining what is true about the God we are supposed to serve!) division is necessary because there is only one Jesus.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't like the new name either but I don't think just changing the name back is going to solve the problems.

What else needs to be changed?

I would have to gander that most of the conservative Christians (which happen to be who is making the most noise right now) want a lot more things changed or reverted back to how they were before 7/7.

The problem with that, though, is that there were some serious issues with the way the forum was organized and run before that time and which brought about the changes in the first place...
Then tweak the system, dont break it. There was some very poor advice given along the way somewhere. Like it or not there are a majority of us who want it back or a seperate forum started and then we can support the forum as it was and those who choose to stay can support it as it is

Reactions: SunMessenger
Upvote 0

SunMessenger

Devoted To The Holy Spirit Of God
Apr 27, 2006
New England
✟202,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Then tweak the system, dont break it. There was some very poor advice given along the way somewhere. Like it or not there are a majority of us who want it back or a seperate forum started and then we can support the forum as it was and those who choose to stay can support it as it is
Exactly Right !

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nice research.

You know Erwin.
It might be easer when you make major changes to turn find all post on, so we can try to find what you're thinking easer instead of trying to hunt down your post to get an idea.

Yeah I agree, or have some "Webmaster Comments" thread or something we can see.

One of the things I think we have is a lack of communication~Erwin seems to do the drive-by comment posts instead of engaging in a little dialogue.

But then he sounds like an extremely busy guy:prayer: .

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It was the criteria for who could formerly post in the "Christians Only" section and it is that change on July 7th that was the main reason why many conservative members no longer wanted Christian Forums to be named "Christian Forums"...

Excellent point.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the Admins that resigned over this should be brought back if the old way is established once again and those who decided this should be done and convinced Erwin of that should be let go.

Of the Admins and staff I've talked to who have left, most agree they'd return if Christian Forums was reinstated to a site that glorifies the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and all that being a Christian means. But to return now would be hypocritical and staff that left are being obedient to how the Lord is leading them and continue to pray that the Lord will touch Erwins heart and show him the error of his ways. No God fearing Christian would follow Erwins lead and bow down to the ways of the world!

I was on staff last year when there was a mass exodus of staff due to Erwin forcing horrid rules on us. He made this hideous reform and then disappeared. He's gonna do the same this time. Come in, impose a horrible reform and then not be here to deal with the backlash. His concern is making this site more secular like myspace so it will generate him some more money. Sad but true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jere209

Legend
Jul 24, 2007
Being propped up by His hands
✟40,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did anyone see this post by Erwin today?

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
never mind, lol. I'll find it again..did not work out the way I intended!

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
everyone else BELIEVES that they know the truth. the true christian KNOWS the truth...

unless you know the truth, you will not see the difference
Many people "know" the truth....... and they all disagree with each other. :holy:

Upvote 0

Jere209

Legend
Jul 24, 2007
Being propped up by His hands
✟40,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, here it is.. Posted at 4:29am this morning by Erwin:

FWIW, I never thought of changing the name of the site until the suggestion in this thread and the results of this poll.

It makes no sense to change the site name and domain name as we are ranked number one on all search engines because of it, and it is what brings all the traffic.

Regardless of what people think or accuse me of, I did not change the site name for any financial reasons - in fact, it is going to cost me more money - from buying the new name, to loss of traffic - I started to look for a new name since this poll, and I changed the name so that, as the poll states, it more closely reflects the new vision.

Anyway, I thought I would post this as an explanation - I just came back from an all day medical conference, and felt I needed to explain.

It's midnight here, so I'm off to bed - need to go to work tomorrow, being Monday.

Does not look like he's changing anything back..:(

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Fine.

But I think there is a fundamental disconnect here that needs to be addressed at some point.

Some conservative Christians want to be able to determine who is and is not Christian based upon some theological criteria. That was the main reason cited by Dr.SteveJ when he petitioned to have the name changed.

That is diametrically opposed to the sites mission of uniting all Christians.

I would say the source of most of the problems here stem from head butting of those who want Christianity to be exclusive and those who consider it inclusive...

Reactions: Tarika
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Of the Admins and staff I've talked to who have left, most agree they'd return if Christian Forums was reinstated to a site that glorifies the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and all that being a Christian means. But to return now would be hypocritical and staff that left are being obedient to how the Lord is leading them and continue to pray that the Lord will touch Erwins heart and show him the error of his ways. No God fearing Christian would follow Erwins lead and bow down to the ways of the world!

I was on staff last year when there was a mass exodus of staff due to Erwin forcing horrid rules on us. He made this hideous reform and then disappeared. He's gonna do the same this time. Come in, impose a horrible reform and then not be here to deal with the backlash. His concern is making this site more secular like myspace so it will generate him some more money. Sad but true.
I pray not for if that is the case he will not change his mind and will lose at least half the p[eople here al;ong with their support

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I can't speak to his motivations, though I doubt this was about money - but I agree with you - this is how Erwin operates. I was on staff for a few years until I couldn't tolerate it anymore. Polls to the staff, or to the members, are all smoke and mirrors - he does what he wants. And if you try to be polite and present a rational argument to him, it gets you nothing, either he ignores it or doesn't get it. I can't count the number of times I've seen people take time to write a post to Erwin, making their argument clear and polite, and he responds with a two liner that indicates he completely missed the point.

I think Erwin is too concerned with pleasing everyone, that is why he seems so capricious in his decisions. And it is also why you can never trust that what is "new" or "reformed" will still be around a month later. And that is why he will put up polls, or imply that things are up for discussion... tho they are really not, it creates an appearance that he wants to listen. It is nonsense, he does what he wants, and keeps changing what he wants. The only constant I can see here in the last few years is a trend toward more liberal and secular values. Since a lot of Christians come here to get away from "the world," how could he not expect this to really anger a lot of people? Or maybe he did expect it and he doesn't care.

The real criminal thing here, besides misleading people to think their voice counted, is that people who donated their own money to a Christian site are now having their money used to support a secular "social networking site." That is the greatest sin here, it seems borderline illegal, and it is downright fraud.

I've moved on from here, I did check back today because I heard about this craziness and had to see for myself... but I suppose my point is that the more trust you put into Erwin regarding the site, the more you will be let down. Better to cut your losses and move on.

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, what happens in history is true whether or not anyone sees it. In the case of Christ's resurrection appearances, we can evaluate the relevant texts and see whether or not they indicated a "vision" or an actual appearance outside of the person involved.

You're missing the point.

The point is that truths are subjectively held. Sure Christ's resurrection either happened or it did not happen one of which is a true statement.

BUT, truths are only true to you if you have experienced them through your subjective self.

If you go back to the statement in the other thread that initiated this side-discussion you will see that the only point I was trying to make is that individual faiths which make contradictory messages can still be true in their own ways (existentially) even if some of the beliefs that compose one of the faiths do not correspond to reality.

And what is the problem with that distinction? As Paul indicates in 1 Cor 11:19, "No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval." Division in the Church is evil, but in this case (in the case of determining what is true about the God we are supposed to serve!) division is necessary because there is only one Jesus.

I don't believe that pulling up the tares is my job ;)

Also, you can make positive statements about what constitutes orthodox theology without making exclusive statements about who is or is not Christian.

You can make statements and even historical judgments about a person's theological beliefs without judging whether or not that person is a Christian...

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Fine.

But I think there is a fundamental disconnect here that needs to be addressed at some point.

Some conservative Christians want to be able to determine who is and is not Christian based upon some theological criteria. That was the main reason cited by Dr.SteveJ when he petitioned to have the name changed.

That is diametrically opposed to the sites mission of uniting all Christians.

I would say the source of most of the problems here stem from head butting of those who want Christianity to be exclusive and those who consider it inclusive...
Not being on staff I dont see all this and agree that there should be places for those who SINCERELY want to ask questions or even disagree, it should not be exclusive but we digress. I say bring it back the old way as 60 per cent of us want and tweak the system and Erwin should bring back the old staff that couldnt condone this and replace thjose who advised him to do this. As for that poll, I will leave it up to Erwin to think about that one and what the motivation for it was.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.