Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Our church is filled with imperfect people. I try to obey the Lord and set an example for others. Sometimes I fail.

So is practicing the gifts of the Spirit not common in the Methodist Church today? I know John Wesley believed in the gifts.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
So is practicing the gifts of the Spirit not common in the Methodist Church today? I know John Wesley believed in the gifts.
It isn't something I here talked about a lot. I am skeptical about people who talk in tongues. Paul told us not to do it unless someone is there to interpret.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It isn't something I here talked about a lot. I am skeptical about people who talk in tongues. Paul told us not to do it unless someone is there to interpret.

I'm sure you must know this, but for those who don't, Paul was talking about in church. He was also talking about someone who had the gift of diverse kinds of tongues to not bring the message in tongues, UNLESS there was the interpreter present. (Everyone would have know WHO had that gift, and if they were not there to remain silent.)

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

One thing I love about this little church (less than 100 members it seems) is that after the service, if anyone needs healing they go to the front, or sit where they are, and the whole church gathers around them and prays until they are healed. They don't stop until it is 100%.

I've been at a lot of different Pentecostal type denomination churches, but outside the first one I went to in the '70s and '80s where I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, this is the most Spirit-filled of them all!

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm sure you must know this, but for those who don't, Paul was talking about in church. He was also talking about someone who had the gift of diverse kinds of tongues to not bring the message in tongues, UNLESS there was the interpreter present. (Everyone would have know WHO had that gift, and if they were not there to remain silent.)
My understanding is that in the Bible, the purpose of speaking in tongues was to spread the gospel to people who didn't speak the language the disciples spoke. What is the purpose today?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
One thing I love about this little church (less than 100 members it seems) is that after the service, if anyone needs healing they go to the front, or sit where they are, and the whole church gathers around them and prays until they are healed. They don't stop until it is 100%.

I've been at a lot of different Pentecostal type denomination churches, but outside the first one I went to in the '70s and '80s where I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, this is the most Spirit-filled of them all!
My prayer would be that the members of my church obey the commandments of the Lord.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
My understanding is that in the Bible, the purpose of speaking in tongues was to spread the gospel to people who didn't speak the language the disciples spoke. What is the purpose today?

Sorry, but that is a common traditional teaching that bears little resemblance to scripture. Here is the key verse that all these teachings must agree with (and they don't).

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Let's not talk about this here (off an important subject). I've written a book on tongues and I will mail it to you. Just pm me your address.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It's not that Catholics and Methodists believe that God will "revoke" forgiveness. Rather it's that we commit serious new sins that haven't been forgiven yet because we can't repent of something we haven't yet done. If we choose NOT to repent, but continue in our sin, the we loose our salvation.

Upvote 0