Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No you didn't.

Well done. We didn't claim that.

On the other hand, you guys have to rationalise your pants off to explain why continued non-intervention by God is somehow completely expected.

Keep up the entertainment.

Upvote 0

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
Google Earth Coords: 39-48 N 75-04 W
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I mean that, even if what has been done already "should" be enough, it's clearly not for billions of people, who require more evidence in order to believe. It's zero effort for God to provide this evidence, so why doesn't he do it? Unless he's not really bothered about us believing in him.

matt 4:6-7

6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

it just seems to me that god has had specific intentions for miracles and signs given, not included are on demand for those in doubt. i've went into this extensively in earlier posts. i'm hesitant to repeat myself only because that always seems to come across as condescending. i'm going to try again to address cabal's arguments which may elaborate some more if you'd also like to read my upcoming response to him.

Okay, well you can have my response. There's a scale of credibility here. You'd believe something more readily when there is lots of independent verification, and none of the participants have any reason to lie. There's no motivation for every oceanographer in the world to lie about the Mariana trench. There's plenty of motivation to lie about being the chosen people of God.

yes, i saw that proposed in those threads already, and av responded in such a way that convinced me the question wasn't satisfactorily dispatched. one of the threads was closed by him, but the other remains open.

Upvote 0

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Except I wasn't supposing that.

well, yes actually, you have been supposing all along that god should perform more miracles. furthermore, they should be more convincing than the ones modern christians claim are happening now. you have suggested if god cares about us knowing him, performing more miracles would be more effective. you have also said that non miraculous acts of christians do little to prove jesus' divinity in the context of asking for more miracles as proof, but later said that you're not asking god to give miracles on demand as a show of divinity.

Didn't say that that was your claim either, but you seem to be bringing little else to the table here.

really? you're not going to take into account all i've said about jesus' redemptive act on the cross as the real sign his miracles were actually only alluding to? again, are you sure you are not missing my point?

It doesn't contradict reality - more people would believe given clearer signs. That's a given.

addressed in 1st paragraph.

See what? A miracle?

a message, i said.

And I'm not talking about those who would disbelieve with signs - I'm talking about those who would be more inclined to believe given a sign.

I'm not talking about people seeing signs with the intention to disprove, I'm talking about people seeing signs with the opposite intent.

the message being that there is no opposite intent in god's eyes. that asking for a sign is already a display of disbelief. in his story about lazarus and the rich man, the rich man begs to get a message from hell to his brothers and was told they have moses and the prophets. the rich man said his brothers wouldn't listen to moses and the prophets and was told then they won't listen to someone having risen from the dead(paraphrased). what is the first thing any of us do when something strange occurs? seek a natural explanation. i've said twice in this thread already that we will never produce satisfactory evidence for either side of the issue. it can always be argued. could this perhaps be the reason god doesn't produce miracles on demand?

I think we're done here. All I'm seeing are excuses being made up for a deity that's either non-existent or absenteeist, and it's getting a little irritating repeatedly correcting your misreadings of my posts.

all you are seeing is not all i've presented. i have demonstrated where i think you have misunderstood me, but you have not demonstrated where you claim i am misreading you. if you honestly believe i'm giving a run around, you can say we're done. it just seems to me that you NEED for christianity to have a doctrine of faith healing which cannot be easily proven and thus give you something to shoot holes in. christians are attacked for their belief in miracles, but when i emphasize the gospel, de-emphasize miracles, defend modern medicine, i am attacked for not emphasizing miracles more. are you simply giving up because you are so used to having it both ways?

Upvote 0

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The funny thing is that it is just such testimony like yours that lead me to abandon religion altogether!

I have witnessed children die of hunger. I have witnessed lynchings and acts of God that destroyed people who actually were very pious Christians. Yet you insist this invisible God loves them?
I believe that Jesus was a real person but just like the early Christians before the synod of Nice; I do not believe he is God. Also I do not believe in any God for that matter.

Hypocrites and Pharisees!

you witnessed children die of hunger and what you took from it was license to attack christians?

hypocrites and pharisees indeed.

Upvote 0

Inan3

Veteran Saint
Jul 22, 2007
West of the Mississippi
✟20,375.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My problem is that God is overlooking the 1.7 billion people in this world living in absolute poverty in order to tend to the needs of fat, old, rich Americans. I'm not selfish or narcissistic enough to think that's a good thing.

God isn't overlooking anyone!! The only reason that America is a blessed country is because of the principles of God it was founded on (remember "in God we trust") and those Christians who continue to pray for it) BUT if America keeps casting those principles aside it will fall the same as others. Don't get me wrong, it won't be God bringing this upon us, it will be because we leave HIS provision for the provision of the god of this world.

As to these other countries who believe in their false gods and don't give any place to the ONE TRUE GOD why should anyone expect or think that GOD should provide for them? God provides for His own. They are receiving what THEIR false gods offer them ... a big fat nothing! The blame is not God's. The blame is not America's. The blame belongs to those nations and those people who REJECT the real God and serve other gods!!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, God has given that into our hands BUT I think what AV was trying to convey is that this woman seemed to think Christianity was responsible to take care of her and her neighbor on the corner. Yes, we are to help them out but our main objective in helping them is to not keep buying them groceries but rather to give them the message of hope that they don't need people to bring them a handout all the time. They can go to Jesus themselves and learn how to be the blessers rather than the blessees all the time.
Yes, mam -- :)

As my pastor says, "India doesn't need relief flown in. India needs Jesus Christ."

Upvote 0

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I used to pray for help and advice on everything, and I felt a little guilty about only praying when I wanted something, so I also said lots of prayers just thanking God for what I had. In 17 years of this, absolutely nothing. And when I finally rejected religion altogether, nothing changed.

i don't mean to sound sarcastic, but in all that time did you ever examine what is known as the "lord's prayer" as a model for what it is to pray, how to pray, etc?
there is a common misconception that prayer is merely asking and thanking, when it is shown biblically to be a tool to change the believer to having his mind tuned to god's thinking rather than man trying to get god to see it his way and do things the way he wants them done.

Upvote 0

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Really. I mean if this kind of argument and appeal to personal testimony is the last grand plan before the apocalypse, God really isn't serious about saving people.

i have withheld all personal testimony, and written quite a bit. let's not be dishonest by skipping over that and say that this alone is the last stand.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
well, yes actually, you have been supposing all along that god should perform more miracles. furthermore, they should be more convincing than the ones modern christians claim are happening now. you have suggested if god cares about us knowing him, performing more miracles would be more effective. you have also said that non miraculous acts of christians do little to prove jesus' divinity in the context of asking for more miracles as proof, but later said that you're not asking god to give miracles on demand as a show of divinity.

Understand the difference between asking for miracles on demand and asking that a greater number of miracles be observed. You seem to be insisting they're the same.

And by that way, I wasn't supposing what you claim I was.

your argument breaks down without the supposition that god's existence and message to mankind must be supported by miracles alone.

Emphasis mine - and I see you omitted the word alone from your paraphrase above.

Again, I'm not asking that only miracles be done, nor that they always be done on demand - only that they are observed more often. That doesn't require that they be the only act of God, nor that they occur on demand.

really? you're not going to take into account all i've said about jesus' redemptive act on the cross as the real sign his miracles were actually only alluding to? again, are you sure you are not missing my point?

All you've said? I'm not seeing where you've discussed this in any depth at all.

addressed in 1st paragraph.

You're going to have to point that out - I didn't see that addressed anywhere at all in your first paragraph.

a message, i said.

the message being that there is no opposite intent in god's eyes. that asking for a sign is already a display of disbelief. in his story about lazarus and the rich man, the rich man begs to get a message from hell to his brothers and was told they have moses and the prophets. the rich man said his brothers wouldn't listen to moses and the prophets and was told then they won't listen to someone having risen from the dead(paraphrased). what is the first thing any of us do when something strange occurs? seek a natural explanation.

And yet people regularly asked Jesus for signs.

Goodness, the ask, seek, knock verse doesn't have any quantifiers on it.

i've said twice in this thread already that we will never produce satisfactory evidence for either side of the issue. it can always be argued. could this perhaps be the reason god doesn't produce miracles on demand?

So what if it can be argued? I'm not asking for definite proof, I never have, yet you keep insisting that am. Apologetics can be argued. The value of good deeds can be argued. So what if miracles can be argued? Why does the fact that something can be argued mean it's not permitted?

all you are seeing is not all i've presented. i have demonstrated where i think you have misunderstood me, but you have not demonstrated where you claim i am misreading you.

Done it several times. Repeatedly.

it just seems to me that you NEED for christianity to have a doctrine of faith healing which cannot be easily proven and thus give you something to shoot holes in.

I don't need it to do anything - Christianity is quite capable of being incoherent all on its ownio.

christians are attacked for their belief in miracles, but when i emphasize the gospel, de-emphasize miracles, defend modern medicine, i am attacked for not emphasizing miracles more. are you simply giving up because you are so used to having it both ways?

You're oversimplifying this.

I think there is scope for more miracles in the Bible - I don't see anything that suggests that more shouldn't be seen - and again, that is not the same thing as saying that miracles should be on demand.

I disagree with you for saying that there isn't scope for this.

I disagree with those who DO claim miracles are occurring because I don't think they ARE miracles.

Both sides of the debate having its issues doesn't mean that those pointing them out are trying to have it both ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
i have withheld all personal testimony, and written quite a bit. let's not be dishonest by skipping over that and say that this alone is the last stand.

At least you have refrained from appealing to personal testimony, but your arguments are hardly compelling.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Inan3 said:
God isn't overlooking anyone!! The only reason that America is a blessed country is because of the principles of God it was founded on (remember "in God we trust") and those Christians who continue to pray for it)
In God We Trust was adopted in 1956. It had nothing to do with the founding of America.

BUT if America keeps casting those principles aside it will fall the same as others. Don't get me wrong, it won't be God bringing this upon us, it will be because we leave HIS provision for the provision of the god of this world.
There's no reason to believe this is true (though your principles of God appear undeveloped and unsubstantiated upon). You need to explain the success story of the extremely secular and non-religious nations of Europe such as Norway, Sweden, Finland, Czech. Republic and to a lesser extent much of Western and Northern Europe in general. You have to explain why the citizens there live in the consistently highly regarded best nations on the planet to live in.

I would also add Japan to that list as well, but I suspect you might quip back their heavy natural disasters ratio but in any case, their standard of living is extremely high and the far more religious nation of Haiti took a much heavier battering due to an earthquake than they did.

Upvote 0

Seamus Riley

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,069.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I can't speak for Ar Cosc, but one of the things that really got me was why God should be so worried about my personal life or what is going on with me. The whole image of God wanting to have a relationship with me. Why me? Why did God specifically bless me, especially to this degree? Especially when there are millions of children dying of malnutrition and preventable disease?

I left the faith not because my prayers weren't getting answered, but rather because the prayers of the starving world weren't.

Don't you think it's silly, AV, that you think God's priorities lie in helping you and your folk with your mundane problems when you already live in mansions and are among the rich minority in this world? You have no perspective.

the bible says god is the lover of our souls. if that isn't reason enough, perhaps god had a personal interest in you because you have convictions and can do something to alleviate some suffering in the world.

that there are starving people in the world does have a lot to do with power structures preventing people from being fed (which may be related to, but not necessarily directly to jesus' claim that we would always have the poor), but this does not account for ALL who are suffering. one of the reasons their prayers aren't answered is because not enough christians are doing their jobs. i'm actually below the poverty line (my brother frankensteined this computer and pays for my internet so we can communicate regularly) and am still trying to get christians to feed me :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟11,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Huh?

Sorry, you've lost me.

AV also believes that Adam and Eve talked with God in the Garden of Eden in modern english.

As to these other countries who believe in their false gods and don't give any place to the ONE TRUE GOD why should anyone expect or think that GOD should provide for them? God provides for His own. They are receiving what THEIR false gods offer them ... a big fat nothing! The blame is not God's. The blame is not America's. The blame belongs to those nations and those people who REJECT the real God and serve other gods!!

So God just turns a blind eye to all those starving children in African countries born in HIV, just because of the politics of the nations they were unlucky enough to be born into? Don't buy it.

Plus, I have rejected what you call the real true God. And my life is awesome, I'm not going to lie. I got a scholarship to go to a top medical school in the US, in a couple years I will be a doctor, and I have a hot girlfriend. Doesn't seem to correlate well with your "reject God" and "no longer get blessed" theory.

Upvote 0

Inan3

Veteran Saint
Jul 22, 2007
West of the Mississippi
✟20,375.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, because this is more important for their survival than food. Is this what you'd say to a starving child in Africa? "Have hope"?

Let me tell you it is mostly the Christian organizations that feed these hungry children of Africa. It is certainly NOT the moon god Allah nor is it their VooDod priests or their medicine men. It is also not their own dictator governments. They are the ones who are CAUSING their people to die of starvation... NOT GOD.

"Some[which?] aspects of traditional African cultures have become less practiced in recent years as a result of years of neglect and suppression by colonial and post-colonial regimes. There is now a resurgence in the attempts to rediscover and revalourise African traditional cultures, under such movements as the African Renaissance, led by Thabo Mbeki, Afrocentrism, led by a group of scholars, including Molefi Asante, as well as the increasing recognition of traditional spiritualism through decriminalization of Vodou and other forms of spirituality. In recent years, traditional African culture has become synonymous with rural poverty and subsistence farming."

Africans profess a wide variety of religious beliefs[92] and statistics on religious affiliation are difficult to come by since they are too sensitive a topic for governments with mixed populations.[93] According to the World Book Encyclopedia, Islam is the largest religion in Africa, followed by Christianity. According to Encyclopedia Britannica, 45% of the population are Muslims, 40% are Christians and less than 15% continue to follow traditional African religions. A small number of Africans are Hindu, Baha'i, or have beliefs from the Judaic tradition. Examples of African Jews are the Beta Israel, Lemba peoples and the Abayudaya of Eastern Uganda. There is also a small minority of Africans who are non-religious
Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would suggest to you that it is NOT the Christians who serve the ONE TRUE GOD in Africa are not the ones starving to death. God takes care of HIS people.

Stop blaming God for things He didn't do or putting all the responsibility on Him for this world's problems. The world has their own god it is the prince of darkness. He is a dictator and a murderer.

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟11,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Yeah I get that. I don't see what it has to do with the US adopting the "In God We Trust" motto in the 1950's.

AV just doesn't believe what normal people believe, that's the take-home point. With his complete rejection of all things rational, who knows what happened in the 1950s...

Upvote 0

Inan3

Veteran Saint
Jul 22, 2007
West of the Mississippi
✟20,375.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, because this is more important for their survival than food. Is this what you'd say to a starving child in Africa? "Have hope"?

Let me tell you it is mostly the Christian organizations that feed these hungry children of Africa. It is certainly NOT the moon god Allah nor is it their VooDod priests or their medicine men. It is also not their own dictator governments. They are the ones who are CAUSING their people to die of starvation... NOT GOD.

"Some[which?] aspects of traditional African cultures have become less practiced in recent years as a result of years of neglect and suppression by colonial and post-colonial regimes. There is now a resurgence in the attempts to rediscover and revalourise African traditional cultures, under such movements as the African Renaissance, led by Thabo Mbeki, Afrocentrism, led by a group of scholars, including Molefi Asante, as well as the increasing recognition of traditional spiritualism through decriminalization of Vodou and other forms of spirituality. In recent years, traditional African culture has become synonymous with rural poverty and subsistence farming."

Africans profess a wide variety of religious beliefs[92] and statistics on religious affiliation are difficult to come by since they are too sensitive a topic for governments with mixed populations.[93] According to the World Book Encyclopedia, Islam is the largest religion in Africa, followed by Christianity. According to Encyclopedia Britannica, 45% of the population are Muslims, 40% are Christians and less than 15% continue to follow traditional African religions. A small number of Africans are Hindu, Baha'i, or have beliefs from the Judaic tradition. Examples of African Jews are the Beta Israel, Lemba peoples and the Abayudaya of Eastern Uganda. There is also a small minority of Africans who are non-religious
Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would suggest to you that it is NOT the Christians who serve the ONE TRUE GOD in Africa are not the ones starving to death. God takes care of HIS people.

Stop blaming God for things He didn't do or putting all the responsibility on Him for this world's problems. The world has their own god, it is the prince of darkness. That is where their problems originate. He is a dictator and a murderer. Let them turn to God and He will help them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.