USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know God didn't have to save any. I'm still getting saddened over the fact that not many are going to be saved and are unable to respond because of their nature. John 3:16 used to comfort me but after reading Matthew 22:14, I'm kind of in the dumps.

How do I get out of this?
It's not like these people want to be saved and God won't save them. We were all born with a nature that hates God unless made new at Christ's expense.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So what is the connection between Matthew 11 and Matthew 22?

Spit it out man.
In Matthew 22 Jesus said, “Many are called, few are chosen.”

As to whether or not this applies to Gentiles, in Matthew 11 it was written that if Jesus preached to Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented in sack cloth and ashes. Today Lebanon is 40% Christian and Israel is 2% Christian.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,453.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All don't want to live with God unless He regenerates them.

Romans 3:11
there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God.

Romans 3:10
As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one;

Faith is a gift according to Ephesians 2:8-10. It's not something we can muster up.

I'm just struggling with the thought of "why few are enabled to believe".
Hello and God bless,

All who are not made the righteousness of God through faith have either hated the light they had (which ever human being in earth has this given, John 1:9) or they believed not and hardened thier heart to God.

God calls all men everywhere to repent. But They would not all come to Jesus. It’s not because he didn’t give them opportunity. How often he would gather men but they would not.
They believe not, they hardened their heart and hated the light.
Consider these verses,

“ 2 Corinthians 4:3. But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:4. In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”

John 3:19. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.20. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.21. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.”

notice that everyone that doeth evil, that would include all men from Adam till today,

Ephesians 5:13. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.”

John 1:9. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.”

Acts 17:26. And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;27. That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:”

Romans 1:18. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;19. Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them”
(KJV here)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know God didn't have to save any. I'm still getting saddened over the fact that not many are going to be saved and are unable to respond because of their nature. John 3:16 used to comfort me but after reading Matthew 22:14, I'm kind of in the dumps.

I'm a Calvinist, so I'll answer you. You are trying to make sense of a mystery. Yes, God chooses some to be saved, but it is also humans' responsibility to turn to God in repentance and faith. The Bible teaches both God's planning and human responsibility for our rejection of him. We are either slaves to Satan or God's children.

Always interpret Scripture in context. Matthew 22:14 is Jesus' comment on the parable he just told. "Worthy" people who refused to come to a banquet (an unheard of action in those days) were replaced by others who were willing. But some of them came unprepared; thus, they had to go outside into extremely sad outer darkness. Both God's plan to choose some and many people's unreasonable rejection of him are the crux of the mystery that human reasoning can't solve because the Bible doesn't solve it.

The same teaching is in Genesis 50:20, where Joseph reassures his brothers that he will be kind, not vengeful toward them by saying, in effect, that they had meant their selling him into slavery for evil but that God meant it for good.

• Winner
Reactions: venksta
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day, Tania

This would not be considered not Many:

After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands,

It is the Goodness of God's grace saves a great number of people trust Him to do that which is good and glorying to Himself.

To the Calvinist john 3:16 is a great verse...

Immeasurable Love

In Him,

Bill

Reactions: Tania11
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
me too. i had to start to learn that God is love and that He can be trusted. trusted to keep us in Him and trusted generally. that He isnt't a nasty abusive father who wants to punish or disown His truly repentent and seeking children
Agreed. I don't even agree that He disciplines us...Paul says this, but it comes naturally, if you think of it. When we don't obey God's laws, we always suffer for it...because His laws are for our own good.

Just read The Prodigal Son in Luke 15, 16 (?)....
We have to come to believe that God is like the father that was awaiting the return of his son. And the father prepared a feast for the son.

God is a loving father...He wanted to share His love and so created us....if this is not the reason...it certainly wasn't to send most to hell, and to find glory in this! Unbelievable doctrine.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take your post the wrong way. My response was kind of crabby too. I apologise.
I am struggling very badly with the thought of God enabling few to be saved. I don't know why it's hitting me like this lately. I don't understand verses like Ezekiel 18:23 and John 3:16 in light of Mathew 22:14 :(

We see the "few" displayed in the book of Revelation - a multitude so great no one can number.

It's not Grace if its given everyone regardless, then its more something we are "owed" if you will. God is God and His actions show who He is... and He is rich in mercy. Read Ephesians 2:4-10

Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
We see the "few" displayed in the book of Revelation - a multitude so great no one can number.

It's not Grace if its given everyone regardless, then its more something we are "owed" if you will. God is God and His actions show who He is... and He is rich in mercy. Read Ephesians 2:4-10
I'm just struggling in regard to imputed sin of Adam and the bondage of the will. I cannot understand how we are held accountable to the gospel in absence of Grace. We are helpless without God:persevere: I was so much happier with the Arminian idea of free-will. Some of the Reformed theology is hard pill for me to swollen. I'm stuck in a rut I guess

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm just struggling in regard to imputed sin of Adam and the bondage of the will. I cannot understand how we are held accountable to the gospel in absence of Grace. We are helpless without God:persevere: I was so much happier with the Arminian idea of free-will. Some of the Reformed theology is hard pill for me to swollen. I'm stuck in a rut I guess

Not sure why you are sad. There are pure evil in this world, do you think those should be saved? Po Pots killed 2/3 of his country man in cold blood, some people rape and cut the body to pieces.

In my mind, there is no free will. When 2 jobs are offered to you, one with a higher pay and less work, how many people will choose the one with more work and lower pay?

I don't believe we have free will, i.e. given a set of input, the output is the same (almost like computer programs), the only thing that differs us from computers is our soul, the thing God put in to give us self awareness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Reformed theology / Calvinistic theology doesn't ever say you don't have a choice. Everyone on earth has a choice - the problem is that unless God steps in with a regenerative work, no one will choose God because of the sinfulness/sinful nature of man.

But don't mistake that for having no choice at all. They have a choice. They will just not choose God or God's way.

People are without excuse because they have chosen... not because they haven't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
God's reckoning time's coming. He's provided purity's wedding garment for every sinner that's called to the feast. People can't eat the meal without having first accepted this garment to cover their sin. He'll lay bare the deceit on Judgment Day. The insult to God will be punished when everyone that trusts in their own merit will be cast into hell. That'll be the punishment that visitation's time hasn't been accepted, that we were invited, had Word and Sacrament and still didn't trust it. Pray to God that Jesus will teach us and bring us to grasp what mercy we've gotten in being invited to the feast, where we'll find rescue. They that despise God will have death instead of grace. Each person must either trust the Gospel and be saved, or not trust it and be damned.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The problem is that you are judging by your own standards there (wanting lots, maybe all, to be saved) rather than accepting God's judgment (that the vast majority will not be saved).

Your answer will come from you asking yourself: "Why do I prefer my judgment over that of God?"

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The problem is that you are judging by your own standards there (wanting lots, maybe all, to be saved) rather than accepting God's judgment (that the vast majority will not be saved).

Your answer will come from you asking yourself: "Why do I prefer my judgment over that of God?"
Where do you get from that the vast majority will not be saved?

As Daniel saw in his vision, the kingdom of God that came during the Roman empire filled the whole Earth (which historically really happened) and John in his vision saw multitudes of saved ones from all nations that nobody was able to count them.

Maybe you are mistaken because Jesus said that only few will find the way? Remember it was said in the context of Israel. The vast majority of Jews really are not saved, they stay in unbelief.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Where do you get from that the vast majority will not be saved?

As Daniel saw in his vision, the kingdom of God that came during the Roman empire filled the whole Earth (which historically really happened) and John in his vision saw multitudes of saved ones from all nations that nobody was able to count them.

Maybe you are mistaken because Jesus said that only few will find the way? Remember it was said in the context of Israel. The vast majority of Jews really are not saved, they stay in unbelief.

5 wise virgins get in.
5 foolish virgins do not.

So that's a 50% success rate JUST IN THE CHURCH.

Then there are those outside of the church...

The majority are not saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
5 wise virgins get in.
5 foolish virgins do not.

So that's a 50% success rate JUST IN THE CHURCH.

Then there are those outside of the church...

Its not about church, its about Israel. And the point of such parables is hardly to get a technical rate of saved ones.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Its not about church, its about Israel. And the point of such parables is hardly to get a technical rate of saved ones.

Wrong.

The virgins are the church.

Just as not all those who say "lord lord" (ie: the church) will get in, but only those who do the will of God.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Wrong.

The virgins are the church.

Just as not all those who say "lord lord" (ie: the church) will get in, but only those who do the will of God.

Jesus was sent to Jews, in Israel. His parables are about this context, not about todays America or China.

Reactions: Tania11
Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Reformed theology / Calvinistic theology doesn't ever say you don't have a choice. Everyone on earth has a choice - the problem is that unless God steps in with a regenerative work, no one will choose God because of the sinfulness/sinful nature of man.

But don't mistake that for having no choice at all. They have a choice. They will just not choose God or God's way.

People are without excuse because they have chosen... not because they haven't.
Isn't it a false offer then if they are unable? Why would God lament this? I'm not trying to be blasphemous..I'm truly confused and trying to understand this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0