Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you think you can go to the nature and simply eat most of the plants there, then this conversation has no meaning. Its just a vegan ideology. Cooking and soaking is exactly done for the reason to minimize the poisons in the few we can do that with.

Not even herbivores can eat many plants, every herbivore is specialized to eat only specific plants, because it needs a specifically designed body to deal with a specific plant toxicity. Different plants than they are evolved to eat make even herbivores sick. Not to say carnivores like humans.
As I've said, I used to teach jungle survival.

It's a fact that most of the plants in the natural jungle will kill you. If you just start randomly plucking and chewing on leaves, stems, and berries, you won't make it through the first night. A few of them can be made edible with some manual processing, usually grinding and boiling.

OTOH, I also learned practically any animal's muscle flesh is edible, even long-term with just thorough cooking.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only a few species of beans are actually toxic raw, like kidney beans. Most beans eaten raw would just pass through your body undigested.

Most lectins have no significant negative biological effects on humans. It's wrong and false to suggest lectins in commonly eaten foods are harmful. There's no good evidence for it. Only a few lectins are actually toxic, and those are destroyed through ordinary cooking.
That's because humans learned ages ago which foods could be eaten safely and how to prepare them safely. That's why they became, after thousands of years of trial and error, the "commonly eaten" foods.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,188.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

It's a fact that most of the plants in the natural jungle will kill you. If you just start randomly plucking and chewing on leaves, stems, and berries, you won't make it through the first night.

I did this for several days with tropical forest plants except for the berries and flower parts eating plant parts raw and I had mild fever and skin and throat irritation for few days. It did not made me sick enough to lay down so I kept busy as if not sick. I did not bother to try to treat the symptoms.

I then adapted after a few days and longer had any issues eating random leaves, stems.

I kept doing it for a year without problem. I probably have strongly developed adaptations to eating wild plants since my parents on both sides ate wild plants when they were young out of extreme poverty.

OTOH, I also learned practically any animal's muscle flesh is edible, even long-term with just thorough cooking.
Meat caught in a tropical jungle should never be eaten raw as they often host tons of parasites, those things are nasty! Some of these parasites can even control your mind!

no-marlon-wayne.gif

In fact, even boiling won't be enough to kill all the parasites! The meat must be cut up to small pieces and then roasted very thoroughly over fire before they can be safely eaten!

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The discussion is about Veganism, not junk food.
Healthy/unhealthy? I suppose we all believe what we want to believe. I just think eating animal flesh is pretty unappetizing. I will stay whole Food Plant based. I have not needed another stent in 9 years.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Healthy/unhealthy? I suppose we all believe what we want to believe. I just think eating animal flesh is pretty unappetizing. I will stay whole Food Plant based. I have not needed another stent in 9 years.

A plant-based diet can work very well for managing heart disease, though sometimes it takes some tweaking, particularly if you have genetically high cholesterol (APOE4, for instance). Some people actually will need to eat things like more nuts, seeds, and avocados, and pay attention in particular to soluble fiber intake, to lower total cholesterol to safe levels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

It's a fact that most of the plants in the natural jungle will kill you. If you just start randomly plucking and chewing on leaves, stems, and berries, you won't make it through the first night. A few of them can be made edible with some manual processing, usually grinding and boiling.

I agree that trying to survive on wild berries and things you'ld find growing on trees would be tough. However, hunter gatheres that get most of their energy from plants typically eat tubers and roots. They use sticks as digging implements.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that trying to survive on wild berries and things you'ld find growing on trees would be tough. However, hunter gatheres that get most of their energy from plants typically eat tubers and roots. They use sticks as digging implements.
Only specific plants, and then they have to go back to the village and chop/pound/grind/bake/boil the heck out of them to make them edible.

That's one of the reasons hunter-gatherer families are not the "grazers" people often imagine them to be. They take what they've hunted and gathered back to the village at the end of the day to prepare one meal to eat together. The original intermittent fasters.

Upvote 0