Florida ‘effectively’ bans Advanced Placement Psychology course due to curriculum's discussion of gender and sexual orientation

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, the next step is reading only parts of Shakespeare plays (leaving out the dirty bits).

Florida schools plan to use only excerpts from Shakespeare to avoid ‘raunchiness’

Though once again there are mixed messages.

Florida clarifies that Shakespeare is OK for classrooms, but confusion still reigns

But now that 'parents rights' have become supreme, it is not up to either the state or the schools to determine what is or isn't raunchy. Ultimately a special magistrate may make the call (even assuming a school would want to fight the matter at that level, rather than just quietly and cheaply ban the book).
Well, that removes the comedies! Taming of the Shrew -
Petruchio: Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail.
Katherine: In his tongue.
Petruchio: Whose tongue?
Katherine: Yours, if you talk of tales, and so farewell.
Petruchio: What, with my tongue in your tail?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparently, the next step is reading only parts of Shakespeare plays (leaving out the dirty bits).

Florida schools plan to use only excerpts from Shakespeare to avoid ‘raunchiness’

Though once again there are mixed messages.

Florida clarifies that Shakespeare is OK for classrooms, but confusion still reigns

But now that 'parents rights' have become supreme, it is not up to either the state or the schools to determine what is or isn't raunchy. Ultimately a special magistrate may make the call (even assuming a school would want to fight the matter at that level, rather than just quietly and cheaply ban the book).
It seems clear that school districts are encouraged to exclude such books and plays.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@essentialsaltes Oh? You didn't know he was THAT raunchy? :p
One stage production had Katherine walking up the stairs and Petruchio was two steps below her. The exchange was very fast and so the "tongue in your tail" line was even funnier with how the actors were standing ;)

From his poem "Venus and Adonis":
Graze on my lips, and if those hills be dry
Stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.

Yeah, the Bard has a lot of innuendos. As an 8th grader, we were pretty clueless. As juniors and seniors, he became far more interesting because we got the word play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I guess The Tempest is also out. I would not have remembered the line in verse IV except that the year before I had it (in jr. high school) when it was being read aloud in class the girl reading it did so without realizing what she was saying until it was already said and then turned bright red.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
just a sample

And yes, parents should be able to opt their children out of Shakespeare, Health, Gym, Psychology, and anything else.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The bawdy bard?
Who knewest?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Remember, attacking academia is what authoritarian regimes are known for.

It's hard to find a rational reason why people who are basically adults can't discuss homosexuality in the context of a class about human psychology.

So, yeah, it's just about power and control here.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another step in dismantling Florida's education system.
A step in the right direction, removing the progressive liberal agenda from Florida and its schools

The "Woke Act" is even a better accomplishment, can't wait to see other states follow Ron DeSantis and his example in Florida

Last edited:
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to find a rational reason why people who are basically adults can't discuss homosexuality in the context of a class about human psychology.

So, yeah, it's just about power and control here.
It's about removing the progressive liberal agenda from public schools in Florida, a good thing!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
A step in the right direction,removing the woke agenda from Florida and its schools

The "Woke Act" is even a better accomplishment, can't wait to see other states follow Ron DeSantis and his example in Florida
Right, if certain “speech” offends thee cut off thine ear ban it!

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right, if certain “speech” offends thee cut off thine ear ban it!
Speech isn't cut off, just the curriculum and class schedules that are trying to promote a political progressive liberal agenda

Students can protest, speak freely all they want in Florida, the progressive liberal agenda isn't going to be funded on the taxpayers dime, it's that simple

What flies in California, Chicago, and New York, doesn't fly in Florida "A Good Thing"!

I'm pleased in seeing the progressive liberal agenda being shut down, can't wait to see more states follow DeSantis

Can't wait to see the funding removed from PBS, a liberal political outlet funded by my tax dollars

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Speech isn't cut off, just the curriculum and class schedules that are trying to promote a political progressive liberal agenda
You do not consider “progressive liberal agenda” to be “speech”?

Why should only conservative-speech be protected?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
All this nonsense, combined with a dying generation of retirees, and the effects of climate change are going to turn florida into a wasteland within a few decades if they don't start to turn things around soon.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Shakespeare is part of the liberal agenda?

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Shakespeare is part of the liberal agenda?
I mean we're losing our ability to produce some of the greatest insults in the English language!!

“Thou leathern-jerkin, crystal-button, knot-pated, agatering, puke-stocking, caddis-garter, smooth-tongue, Spanish pouch!”​

Henry IV Part 1 (Act 2, Scene 4)

“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that roasted Manningtree ox with pudding in his belly, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”​

Henry IV Part 1 (Act 2, Scene 4)

Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My my my - all the 'pearl clutching' from some people. Makes one wonder how we possible became the most powerful nation on the earth for the last 200 years without teaching what is important to less than 3% of the population. Is it possible because up until about three years ago trans issues were regarded as mental problems and now culture has made them cause celeb?

Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Makes one wonder how we possible became the most powerful nation on the earth for the last 200 years without teaching what is important to less than 3% of the population.
Makes me wonder how Florida possibly taught the AP Psychology curriculum for the last 30 years without upsetting anybody. Is it possible that only in the last few years has the Republican culture war become so extreme that it's banning perfectly innocuous things?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Makes me wonder how Florida possibly taught the AP Psychology curriculum for the last 30 years without upsetting anybody. Is it possible that only in the last few years has the Republican culture war become so extreme that it's banning perfectly innocuous things?
no - because 30 years ago trans and homosexual's were covered under deviant sexual psychology. I still have the books from my time in college in the 80's.

Remember Charles Silverstein?

Upvote 0