Fixing a hole where the rain gets in ...

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Pretty close to true, eventually things come down to either a circular argument or a dogmattic argument, since the only possible ways to argue are either circular, dogmatic, or regressive and eventually you run out of regressive arguments. It's an unsolved problem in epistemology known as Munchaussen's trilemma.
Neither you nor I walk in this world in constant doubt about matters such as "it's hot today", nor "that bus may not exist so I need not avoid it running over me". So I see very little of value in the proposition you've put in a discussion about Catholics believing that many or most Protestants are Christians as the Original post implied.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither you nor I walk in this world in constant doubt about matters such as "it's hot today", nor "that bus may b=not exist so I need not avoid it running over me". So I see very little of value in the proposition you've put in a discussion about Catholics believing that many or most Protestants are Christians as the Original post implied.
You objected to that poster engaging in a circular justification for his trust in God and the Bible and stating that everything comes down to circularity. We may not make a habit of doubting such things, but beyond those things which we immediately sense we do so based on circular reasoning through inductive arguments. As far as the thread topic goes, I don't know if most non-Catholics believe Catholics think only they are Christian but there certainly seems to be an inherent belief that non-Catholics are deficient in their Christianity and therefore not fully Christian. If your goal is to combat a perception of Catholic chauvenism, simply trotting out catechisms that give wiggle room for Catholics to tolerate Protestants in spite of the anathemas from Trent you've got some ways to go.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If your goal is to combat a perception of Catholic chauvenism, simply trotting out catechisms that give wiggle room for Catholics to tolerate Protestants in spite of the anathemas from Trent you've got some ways to go.
I thought you might head down this road.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do appreciate the sentiment behind this thread, but it honestly seems a bit condescending rather than charitable.
The condescension is in the eye of the reader and not in the fingers or mind of the writer.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In CF I've come across a number of Protestants who are convinced that Catholics teach and believe that Protestants are not Christians and are heading for hell.

I want to fix that hole in their thinking.

Protestants are Christians, at least most would be, I am sure. The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches this in these paragraphs.

CCC 818 "However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers. . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."

CCC 819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth" are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements." Christ's Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him, and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."
Perhaps they want to fuss at you?
However, I have seen Catholics in real life, who, when asked if they're a Christian, respond with "No, I'm Catholic"
So, mostly I think people need to get out of their religion, dust off that Bible, and meet The Word :purpleheart:
Regardless of what "Denomination" they claim allegiance to.
IMO

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have seen Catholics in real life, who, when asked if they're a Christian, respond with "No, I'm Catholic"
The reason for this kind of reply is that Catholic encounter numerous people who say "I am a Christian" and who add "you're not a Christian because you're a Catholic and Catholics are idolaters" or something along those lines. I have heard words like those from several Pentecostal people and several Baptist people.
So, mostly I think people need to get out of their religion, dust off that Bible, and meet The Word :purpleheart:
Regardless of what "Denomination" they claim allegiance to.
IMO
The bible is very familiar to Catholics. Those Catholics who attend daily mass will hear almost the entire bible read at mass over any two year period. And Catholics do read the bible, though perhaps not as assiduously as some others. I myself have read the bible well over a dozen times. But that is, I suspect, not the norm. Yet reading the bible isn't the same thing as being born of God from above and living godly.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The reason for this kind of reply is that Catholic encounter numerous people who say "I am a Christian" and who add "you're not a Christian because you're a Catholic and Catholics are idolaters" or something along those lines. I have heard words like those from several Pentecostal people and several Baptist people.
The folks that I heard say that didn't say it in that manner at all. It was a very innocent naieve statement that I'm sure they weren't thinking.
However, I'm sad to say that I know what you stated above to be true as well, and it's not Christlike IMO.

The bible is very familiar to Catholics. Those Catholics who attend daily mass will hear almost the entire bible read at mass over any two year period. And Catholics do read the bible, though perhaps not as assiduously as some others. I myself have read the bible well over a dozen times. But that is, I suspect, not the norm. Yet reading the bible isn't the same thing as being born of God from above and living godly.
I didn't mean Catholics. I meant the entire church.
That being said, I was actually raised Catholic since birth and so I can say that no, not all Catholics are "very familiar" with the Bible.
It wasn't until I was about 18 that I had a Bible in my hands to read. And that was brought in by my brother who'd been given it by a local youth group (protestant)
I had a prayer book, but not a Bible.
There was a huge Bible on the coffee table.
Mom had opened an account at the local bank and they gave her a Bible.
But I never thought to read that.

Bro let me read that bible and that was all she wrote! I was in love and haven't looked back :)
I have NOT read the Bible a fraction of the times you have Wow!
And I'm not picking on your denom.
surely, my story is true in many many homes, regardless of denom.
I know FEW who look at a Bible.
And they don't want to because it's a mirror and they want to shield their eyes.
and I get that.
Sometimes I want to as well.

Sorry people are, you know, goof-balls.
They're likely walking in darkness and desperately need prayer.

Upvote 0