Montgomery
✟142,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went to the gym and did a test with a chest press machine. My 1 rep max is 80 lbs. My goal is to press 100 lbs with some "left in the tank" this year. I've been researching setting up a training routine to meet some goals like that. I'm also going to look into getting a grip dynamometer to test my grip as another benchmark.

I just did 5 minutes backward pedalling at 6 METS, then 5 minutes of forward pedalling at 3, and then arm cycling backwards at 6 METS, then forwards at 3 METS for 5 minutes. I'm trying to build up the upper body, particular the posterior chain. I think this is good base training- 3 METS is sort of in between light warmup and medium intensity, so it's a good place to start as a base.

Then I did 2 sets of chest presses with 40 lbs to about 80 percent failure, and 3 sets of rows at 40 lbs. I am guessing that was near 50 percent 1 rep max for both in tems of weight, which should be adequate. I figure with all the arm cycling I did, that's good enough.

I also tried out a hack squat machine unloaded, but I didn't like it that much. It didn't have the shoulder rests like I've seen in most hack squat machines online, it felt like it was loading the lower back and hips too much.
I used to have a Powertech Workbench leverage gym. It had a bench press, pull-down and squat station. Squats on it were comfortable and effective. It had a slanted footplate but it hurt my back when I used it so I just put my feet straight down and stood on the calve raise section.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to have a Powertech Workbench leverage gym. It had a bench press, pull-down and squat station. Squats on it were comfortable and effective. It had a slanted footplate but it hurt my back when I used it so I just put my feet straight down and stood on the calve raise section.

Back in Highschool I was in a DoD school overseas and we had one of those universal gyms. I don't think you could do squats with it, but you could do just about everything else in terms of compound exercises.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My sleep still is only fair. I am going to buy a new bed, probably a cheap wooden IKEA bed with spring slats. Turns out you shouldn't use a foam matress with most box springs. I took mine apart and it doesn't have nearly enough support, about a quarter the springs you'ld expect in a good quality box springs. If I keep using it, it could prematurely wear the mattress.

Sometimes I've thought about just buying a tatami mat and a futon. Some hipsters have started sleeping on the floor like that. It's better for a mobile lifestyle, anyways, as there's less to move.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back in Highschool I was in a DoD school overseas and we had one of those universal gyms. I don't think you could do squats with it, but you could do just about everything else in terms of compound exercises.
The Universal Gym was the first thing I ever used. I was in the 7th grade and was picked on. In PE we started lifting weights and after a few weeks I could bench press more than my classmates. We had a weight set at home and I started working out. By the 9th grade I fought back and got in a lot of fights that year.
10th through 12 grade I didn’t get in any fights. I just stood up to people who started trouble and they didn’t try me.
Started lifting at the YMCA. They had a Universal Machine and free weights

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Covert Bailey formula puts my body fat around 18.8 percent. The digital scales get my body fat percentage all wrong. I think Covert Bailey is more accurate.

Also, I'm pretty sure Bello's visceral fat measurements aren't accurate. My BMI is 23.8, yet Bello gives me a "D" rating in terms of visceral fat. Stastistically, my BMI actually puts me in a relatively low category for cardiometabolic disease. I suspect Bello is using height as an index to measure visceral fat against, and I suspect that isn't accurate. I'm fairly large from the hips up. When I get in a Toyota Corolla or something like that, my head touches the roof of the rear passenger seat.

So, I'm going to sell Bello. It's only a useful metric if you have a typical body shape. Short of a Dexa scan, I don't think anything is going to beat a simple tape measure for assesing my metabolic health.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For Chest today, 55 lb dumbells for Incline Flys superset with Incline DB Bench Press 3 supersets
Followed by
Heavy Mace 200 reps
Med Mace 200. reps
KB Swwings x 100 reps
Krusher level 12 x 4 sets
Getting stronger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@BPPLEE .... how is the Body Blade working out?

I am thinking of getting either a Body Blade or a Shake Weight.
I like it. Especially at the end of a giant set.and it’s also convenient to just pick up and use anytime.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I started the day measuring my morning HRV, and got a 10/10 and perfect balance, which is excellent- all cleared for a normal day of exercise. I took my usual workout stack of 1 gram of creatine and a half teaspoon of L-citruline, as well as some vitamin D, a vitamin B-12 pill, and elderberry for vitamin C, and my glucosamine supplement.

Today I did 20 minutes of hand and foot cycle at 3 METs (METabolic Equivalents, about 25 watts, in my case, or three times the resting metabolic rate), alternating forward and backwards, and hands and feet work.

Then I did a strength training workout (today was my "Heavy" day, with additional arm work):

2 x 8 x 60lb chest presses
3 x 8 x 55 lb seated rows
2 x 8 x 0 hack squats
2 x 8 x 5 lateral raises
3 x 8 x 5 bicep curls
2 x 8 x 5 skull crushers

I finished with 5 minutes of rowing at 1/3 resistance and 5 minutes of high intensity intervals. My heart rate briefly got up to about 85 percent max, but was mostly at 60-70 percent max.

I think I'm getting better at dialing in the exact exercise intensity. I want to leave the gym feeling good, not worn out. I'm also going to be more careful logging my sets, reps, and weight, and I'm going to start researching a serious training program for periodization and progressive overload.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was not feeling it today but instead of skipping a workout I did rows lying on an incline bench with 2 35 lb kettlebells 3 sets of 25
and Total Gym Pull Ups 2 sets of 20
I’m off tomorrow and plan to squeeze a good workout in after all the family activities

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
On Easter Sunday I had a rest day. The morning HRV score was 8/10, leaning slightly parasympathetic dominant. I took some American Ginseng and went to church. Stress was low. I tried to focus on good breathing throughout the day and staying calm. Then we went out to eat at a local Indian buffet with my brother. In the afternoon, I started getting tired, however, about as tired as I got from COVID (maybe a case of "parasympathetic overdrive" from Saturday's workout, or being exposed to a virus), and I just crashed and slept until some time after midnight. My watch says I only got 5 hours of sleep, but I think I actually got more than that (Garmin Venu SQ's sleep detection is not as good as Amazfit's).

Not sleeping in an old mattress is helping - I'm getting more restful sleep, but my sleep duration isn't quite there yet. Another thing that helps is just laying down during periods of higher stress or lower HRV. EliteHRV also has some breathing biofeedback exercises for recovery, although practicing them consistently is challenging.

It's still early in the morning on Easter Monday so I will probably take some more L-Theanine and try to go back to bed and get some more sleep, or at least to rest for a while.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I went to the gym today and mostly used the Sci-Fit rehab machines. Since I walked to the gym, I didn't bother with a warm up. I used the Iso-Strength mode, which is a resistance oriented mode, for about twenty minutes altogether. Then I did about five minutes of rowing to round out the routine (seated cranking doesn't seem to produce as much activation of the lats).

I tried out a hack squat machine with twenty pounds loaded but my knee did not agree with it. I think I will stick to the Sci-Fit machines, or body weight squats. I suspect all the previous work I did pedalling had fatigued some muscles around my knee.

The Iso-Strength mode sets a target RPM, then if you hit the RPM, it starts gradually loading on more resistance. I did some intervals, up up to about 200 watts, but I think it's mostly intended to be used with a steady target RPM for five minutes. It gradually wears you down, so the wattage produced goes down the longer you pedal/crank. I suppose as you get stronger, the wattage produced is increased at a constant RPM. It's a harder mode in terms of cardiovascular load, reaching about 65 percent heart rate reserve. It definitely made me sweat.

The Sci-Fit machines really seemed to work my forearms, it's the first time I experienced any kind of pump in my forearms. THe machines are supposed to produce less soreness, since there's no eccentric loading of the muscles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I woke up and my Garmin has a bad habit of not measuring sleep accurately, so I had to manually edit the sleep. It only records one sleep session per night, and like alot of aging folks, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and it takes a while to get back to sleep.

I have heard the newest Garmin watches fix this problem and have better sleep tracking.

Yesterday was a rough day after the workout. Not enough rest, too many things that needed to get done as errands (return an old cable modem after our recent upgrade, get some wood finishing supplies, etc.). My Body Battery ended the day at 15. My sleep quality wasn't very good, and this morning my body battery was only 47. The heart rate didn't fall off fast enough last night during sleep. I'm a little sore and tired, despite sleeping about 7 and a half hours, so I think today will be a rest day.

I'm thinking this would be a good time to deload for the rest of the week and focus on keeping my heart rate below 60 percent max during any exercise. Yesterday I acquired alot of Training Impulse points: several of the exercises had higher than expected Training Effect scores, and between that and all the resistance training I've been doing, the overall load may be just too much at this moment in time. Aside from illness, I also haven't taken an extended rest in sixth months.

So I'm going to focus on basic things like walking, stretching, yoga and pilates type movements. If I go to the gym, I'm going to stay away from weight machines, rowing/HIT, and just do low intensity cycling the rest of the week.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got a 15 lb Mace, it arrived last night. I just did 400 reps with it now I have to get ready for work
15lb Mace X 400
Got to work and my hands are still shaking.
I have one more Mace ordered 25 pounds
I tried to post video of my chest workout but it won’t work on this forum.
Yesterday I used 55lb dumbbells for incline flys superset with incline DB bench press for 10-9, 10-9
I have gained a lot of strength and I am happy with my workouts but I need to work on diet more. I’m still hovering around 285 to 290.
I wore a size 40 waist pants yesterday and had plenty of room down from 46 a year ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently went to the doctor to get my blood results back. I was expecting cholesterol might be slightly higher because usually cholesterol goes up somewhat during weight loss.

My ketones were high and the doctor thought I was dehydrated . I told her I thought it was more likely due to being on a low calorie diet and losing weight.

Blood lipids were all good. My triglycerides were 93 mg/dLL. Total cholesterol was 127, and LDL was 67.

Vitamin D status was normal, at 34 ng/mL, but the doctor said she'ld prefer to see it slightly higher. B-12 was also in the normal range.

Despite taking small amounts of creatine daily, creatinine and kidney function was in the normal range.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday was my half day at work and my granddaughter came over that afternoon but I squeezed in a workout before my stepdaughter brought her.
Chest
Flys superset with Incline DB Bench Press
20 x 10-10
50 x 8-9
40 x 8-6
30 x 10-4
Indian Club High Swings 10 x 25
There was very little rest between sets, by the time I got to presses with the 30s I could only manage four.
I have an appointment at 7:15 and I am up early so I’m going to do a Mace workout.
Goal is
15 lb Mace X 200
10 lb Mace X 200
7 lb. Mace X 200
No rest between sets
Later today work Shoulders and Triceps
Update: The 600 reps was easy. I have a 25 lb and a 30 lb Mace on the way and I will incorporate them into the workout and make it more challenging. In the meantime I’m increasing to 800 then 1,000 reps.
My resistance training is still brief, intense and fairly heavy. The high rep Mace workout won’t hurt anymore than if I had a physically demanding job like construction or surveying and still worked out.
My grip strength has improved significantly and no longer gives out before I finish with the Mace.
I’m pleased with my progress in strength and endurance but I need to focus more on diet. I’m down to 285 this morning so it’s trending in the right direction again.
When I lose the entire 100 pounds I’m writing a book. I have postponed the book on the Enneagram because in trying to give credit for sources I’m afraid there are going to be copyright issues
My leg was bothering me yesterday. I did a lot of walking Tuesday and had to climb stairs so I think that got it irritated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,088.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My ketones were high and the doctor thought I was dehydrated . I told her I thought it was more likely due to being on a low calorie diet and losing weight.

In some people like myself and physically active children, dehydration would cause breakdown of body fat into fatty acids and ketones even when I'm not exercising nor fasting.

I engage in long vigorous cardio exercises (running, cycling, and skating) often in hot and humid conditions without eating nor drinking anything. It drives many adaptations, including accelerated breakdown of body fat to avoid dehydration. Because body fat contains water. It's the same way how migratory birds can fly non stop long distances without drinking nor eating. Camels also do the same to avoid dehydration in hot desert climate.

It's one way to keep slim and BMI low without cutting down on calories. Yet I never recommend this type of training to anyone. It's quite risky. It's nearly as dangerous as slow CO2 or carbon monoxide poisoning. You could collapse and slip into a comma and eventually death without ever knowing what hit you.

Yet, it isn't the only way to have high ketones. True, being on low calorie diet, fasting, and cardio exercises will do it as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
In the past few weeks I have discovered Lupini or Lupin beans. They are even higher in protein than soy beans or tofu, with half of the calories coming from protein, and they contain no fat. They are a traditional food in the Mediterranean region, often eaten at holidays in Italy. I eat them whole, but some people traditionally pinched off the skin.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the past few weeks I have discovered Lupini or Lupin beans. They are even higher in protein than soy beans or tofu, with half of the calories coming from protein, and they contain no fat. They are a traditional food in the Mediterranean region, often eaten at holidays in Italy. I eat them whole, but some people traditionally pinched off the skin.
...there are also different varieties of lupin beans.

The primary difference here is that lupin beans can either be sweet or bitter.

The bitter varieties contain various quinolizidine alkaloids that are mildly poisonous...These bitter lupins mainly grow on a plant called Lupinus albus, which primarily grows in the Mediterranean region.

In contrast, sweet lupins are produced by a domesticated version of a plant called Lupus angustifolius, which grows in Australia.

It is possible to eat bitter lupins, but they must first be soaked in salted water to remove the alkaloids they contain. Removing the alkaloids also eliminates their bitter flavor.

However, most of the world’s commercial lupin bean production (around 80%) comes from Australia and focuses on sweet lupin beans.

Furthermore, the European Food Safety Agency (EFSA) recently conducted an in-depth safety evaluation of lupin beans and lupin products.

The EFSA’s final report noted that intoxication with unprepared bitter lupin seeds could have various neurological, digestive, and cardiovascular effects. However, intoxication is infrequent and rarely leads to life-threatening conditions.

As a legume variety that belongs to the same wider family as peanuts, lupin bean allergy is a potential concern.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0