Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The amount of recovery needed is going to be different for everyone.

That's why I like tracking heart rate variability, it gives me some actionable feedback on recovery that's specific and not general. If I had to recommend just one biohack to somebody interested in fitness, it would be that.

Well, bodybuilders are mostly male aesthetic pageants now days. One study found the average age of death of a professional bodybuilder was about 47. Guys like Frank Zane or Schwartzenegger beat the odds because they are still alive.

I think Schwartzenegger had the better approach although that's not saying much. He was using steroids and he later admitted his diet wasn't healthy (he's dealt with high cholesterol in the past). The amount of volume he was doing was also probably unnecessary from an exercise physiology perspective. Like alot of guys in the gym scene in southern California at the time, he basically liked hanging out at the gym all day and training.

I try to weed out alot of fitness advice from bodybuilders, at least the ones with no medical background. I mostly follow physiotherapists and kinesiologists and their advice, and I try to stick to compound exercises. Based on Peter Attia's and my own father's experience with deadlifts (he was a weight lifter in highschool), I generally don't do anything heavy with those as the risk doesn't seem worth it. I've already had a few back problems after I got a spinal tap years ago and it's been creaky every since, I've probably had a case of slipped disk a time or two and just never bothered to do much about it (deadhangs and certain yoga poses are great for back tractioning).
Mike Mentzer was in med school I don’t know if he ever finished. He got the idea for his training methods from Arthur Jones, the inventor of Nautilus.
The original Nautilus machines were set up with an isolation exercise to be followed immediately by a compound exercise. He called it Pre-Exhast training and he advocated doing one pre-exhaust superset per body part and working the entire body 3 non consecutive days a week. (Edit; 3 times a week was a later development by Ellington Darden. Jones advocated training each muscle group to exhaustion once a week and twice at the most)

As far as training advice from bodybuilders Jones said “If you want to know how to train a race horse you don’t ask the race horse.”
There were other bodybuilders that grew old and continued training like Dave Draper, Ed Corney, Boyer Coe, Lou Ferigno, Andreas Cahling, and Bill Pearl.
Arnold’s training partner Franco Columbu trained to a ripe old age but died last year while swimming.
After Arnold came back in 1980, Franco came back and won the 1981 Mr. Olympia.
It was even more controversial than Arnold’s win the previous year. It was clear that Tom Platz should have won.
He’s another bodybuilder still training in his golden years.
I’ve always followed my own routine but it was closer to Mentzer’s than Arnold’s.
Professional bodybuilders take too many steroids, growth hormone, insulin like growth factor and other things to be truly healthy.
I only tried steroids once in February of 1986. I did one cycle and my legs grew more than anything. When I went out to go for my usual run, my legs pumped up so much that I couldn’t run.
I didn’t gain much strength, I did bulk up a good bit but I never tried them again.
Back then I set my sights on having a body like Sylvester Stallone and combined running with lifting weights and weighed about 180.
In 1996 I discovered creatine and the strength gains motivated me to keep lifting heavier and heavier weights and my average body weight was 240. I could bench press 405 for 5 reps at that weight and was comparatively strong in all the lifts. I made my best gains training each body part once a week.
I continued to lift weights until 2017 then I started back last year. 4/21 will be one year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The amount of recovery needed is going to be different for everyone.

That's why I like tracking heart rate variability, it gives me some actionable feedback on recovery that's specific and not general. If I had to recommend just one biohack to somebody interested in fitness, it would be that.

Well, bodybuilders are mostly male aesthetic pageants now days. One study found the average age of death of a professional bodybuilder was about 47. Guys like Frank Zane or Schwartzenegger beat the odds because they are still alive.

I think Schwartzenegger had the better approach although that's not saying much. He was using steroids and he later admitted his diet wasn't healthy (he's dealt with high cholesterol in the past). The amount of volume he was doing was also probably unnecessary from an exercise physiology perspective. Like alot of guys in the gym scene in southern California at the time, he basically liked hanging out at the gym all day and training.

I try to weed out alot of fitness advice from bodybuilders, at least the ones with no medical background. I mostly follow physiotherapists and kinesiologists and their advice, and I try to stick to compound exercises. Based on Peter Attia's and my own father's experience with deadlifts (he was a weight lifter in highschool), I generally don't do anything heavy with those as the risk doesn't seem worth it. I've already had a few back problems after I got a spinal tap years ago and it's been creaky every since, I've probably had a case of slipped disk a time or two and just never bothered to do much about it (deadhangs and certain yoga poses are great for back tractioning).
Arnold worked as a bricklayer when he came to California and he came up with training twice a day to accommodate his challenging work schedule. He eventually had his own business and started investing in real estate. He didn’t make much from bodybuilding. The prize money for Mr. Olympia was around $1,000 and he got paid for his pictures in magazines, as an editor and selling his training courses but his business and real estate is where he made his money.
He was already a millionaire when he started acting so he could pick and choose his roles.
He trained long and hard but he didn’t spend all day hanging out at the gym.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Going to the park and taking it easy paid off. I ended up taking a nap afterwards. I also got in a few extra intensity minutes on my Garmin, but the exercise I did wasn't so intense. Runalyze also says my training load is better balanced than it was a few days ago.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just did 500 reps. I did 200 reps with the heavy Mace, 200 reps with the medium Mace, 75 Kettlebell Swings and 25 Indian Club Swings with no rest between any of them.
It’s amazing what you can do when you don’t put limits on yourself. A few weeks ago I thought 100 reps with the Mace was a good workout.
I’ve been trying to see how many reps I can do if I really try. Yesterday I was doing a giant set of Chest Expanders-InnStar Chest Press-Krusher-BodyBlade.
The last time I did the Krusher it was at level 10 and I had been doing 10 but I managed to do 20. So this time I moved the resistance to level 12. I still managed to do 20. I found this on pull ups too. I had been doing sets of 10 but I managed to do 20. On Flys superset with DB Incline Bench Press I had been using 30 lb DBs and I went up to 40s. Same with 3 Way Curls I went up from 30s to 40s.
I had been doing 50 Kettlebell Swings but I managed to do 100, and 75 after doing 400 reps with the Mace.
I’m going to do this with all exercises, doing as many as I can and training to failure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve started something new. Instead of doing an arbitrary number of reps I do as many as I can. For pull-ups where I did 3 to 5 sets of 10, I do 20 or however many I manage for 2 to 3 sets. Instead of 50 Kettebell Swings I managed to do 100.
For shoulders and chest I do giant sets of 4 exercises with no rest in between for 3 cycles.
I do the Mace routine with no rest where I used to take a rest between the heavy and medium Mace.
It’s intense and my strength and endurance are improving.
For biceps I do 3 Way Curls. Start with dumbbells facing forward as if you were using a barbell. Do 8 to 10 reps. Then let the dumbbells come to your sides. Do one side at a time. As you curl them you turn your wrists from thumbs up to thumbs outside and then rotate back to thumbs up as you lower them for 8 to 10 reps. Next you turn them thumbs up and bring them across your body one at a time from your hips across your body to your shoulders for 8 to 10 reps. So while you did 30 reps it was really a giant set of 3 sets of 10 without rest.
I use 40 lb DBs for this. ( I used to use 80 lbs for 3 sets of 10)
The mace routine also works my back, shoulders, arms and forearms.
My shoulders and arms look good. My stomach is still too big and I have some fat around my chest and lats but I plan to lose another 45 pounds by New Year’s Day.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I’ve started something new. Instead of doing an arbitrary number of reps I do as many as I can. For pull-ups where I did 3 to 5 sets of 10, I do 20 or however many I manage for 2 to 3 sets. Instead of 50 Kettebell Swings I managed to do 100.
For shoulders and chest I do giant sets of 4 exercises with no rest in between for 3 cycles.
I do the Mace routine with no rest where I used to take a rest between the heavy and medium Mace.
For biceps I do 3 Way Curls. Start with dumbbells facing forward as if you were using a barbell. Do 8 to 10 reps. Then let the dumbbells come to your sides. Do one side at a time. As you curl them you turn your wrists from thumbs up to thumbs outside and then rotate back to thumbs up as you lower them for 8 to 10 reps. Next you turn them thumbs up and bring them across your body one at a time from your hips across your body to your shoulders for 8 to 10 reps. So while you did 30 reps it was really a giant set of 3 sets of 10 without rest.
My shoulders and arms look good. My stomach is still too big and I have some fat around my chest and lats but I plan to lose another 45 pounds by New Year’s Day.

I've done sessions in the past where I do reps until failure (however you define it, I usually go by tempo failure), then you rest for about twenty seconds or so, repeat. You should see the reps gradually declining in each set.

It's an effective use of time but probably requires more rest in the long run. If you like high intensity, it avoids "junk volume".

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yesterday at the gym I just did hand cycles for ten minutes at 30 watts, recumbent bike for 10 minutes. I played around with the battle ropes a little bit, but nothing too intense, but mostly I did some coaching for my S.O, setting up machines for her and giving advice. I am trying to rest but if I don't do any exercise, I find I get stiff and just don't feel any better.

Later in the day, I had a crash and started feeling the fibro flareup raging, and I think I was getting dehydrated too, and had some lower back pain around my kidney area. I checked my ketone levels are they were somewhat higher than they probably should be, and it's possible the lower back pain was the kidneys dealing with some kind of metabolic acidosis and not enough water. I hadn't eaten much that day so we went to a local family owned Indian restaurant and ate alot of food (the prices were reasonable). I think that's helped restore my energy levels somewhat. Everybody talks about losing weight being good for you, but it can also be hard on your body because as body fat is released and burned, all kinds of toxins and metabolic waste are produc

I tried to go to bed and I think I finally realized the twin mattress I sleep on is old and worn out. Combine it with the after effects of COVID, and I think that's why I'm sleeping poorly and being fatigued alot. I ended up sleeping a few hours with my S.O. I'm a light sleeper though and it doesn't always lead to a restful night sleep. It's an older mattress, a queen size, but doesn't have as much use or wear. So I'll probably be buying a new twin mattress from IKEA soon. I'll probably get a cheaper foam mattress with a memory foam topper. Anything would be better than having the mattress I currently have. It's about there and a half decades old or so, well past it's warranty.

I guess the mattress didn't occur to me because to be blunt, I hate the idea of shopping for mattresses and beds (does anybody really like shopping for them?). Especially hate bedding stores. The guys in them always seem like snake oil salesmen.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday at the gym I just did hand cycles for ten minutes at 30 watts, recumbent bike for 10 minutes. I played around with the battle ropes a little bit, but nothing too intense, but mostly I did some coaching for my S.O, setting up machines for her and giving advice. I am trying to rest but if I don't do any exercise, I find I get stiff and just don't feel any better.

Later in the day, I had a crash and started feeling the fibro flareup raging, and I think I was getting dehydrated too, and had some lower back pain around my kidney area. I checked my ketone levels are they were somewhat higher than they probably should be, and it's possible the lower back pain was the kidneys dealing with some kind of metabolic acidosis and not enough water. I hadn't eaten much that day so we went to a local family owned Indian restaurant and ate alot of food (the prices were reasonable). I think that's helped restore my energy levels somewhat. Everybody talks about losing weight being good for you, but it can also be hard on your body because as body fat is released and burned, all kinds of toxins and metabolic waste are produc

I tried to go to bed and I think I finally realized the twin mattress I sleep on is old and worn out. Combine it with the after effects of COVID, and I think that's why I'm sleeping poorly and being fatigued alot. I ended up sleeping a few hours with my S.O. I'm a light sleeper though and it doesn't always lead to a restful night sleep. It's an older mattress, a queen size, but doesn't have as much use or wear. So I'll probably be buying a new twin mattress from IKEA soon. I'll probably get a cheaper foam mattress with a memory foam topper. Anything would be better than having the mattress I currently have. It's about there and a half decades old or so, well past it's warranty.

I guess the mattress didn't occur to me because to be blunt, I hate the idea of shopping for mattresses and beds (does anybody really like shopping for them?). Especially hate bedding stores. The guys in them always seem like snake oil salesmen.
“I am trying to rest but if I don't do any exercise, I find I get stiff and just don't feel any better.”
Working out has helped my back and all the walking I do has helped my knees. I think it‘s because I started with DDP Yoga. It started with laying on a mat and doing mobility exercises. Then working out in a chair, then using the chair for balance. Then standing without the chair. I took pictures of myself trying to bend down and touch my toes, seated trying to touch my toes, squatting down and also standing holding one leg up like a kick and seeing how high I could get it. Each month I could stretch further and further. On the standing toe touch at first my hands were barely below my knees. A couple of months later they were on the floor. I did it for four months. I was doing it with my wife. She is a teacher and when school started back we quit doing it. I intend to start again starting with the chair workouts.
When I started the new job there was a lot of walking and I had been doing very little at my other job. My knee hurt terribly. The only way I could get through the day was taking pain medication. I was weary about it but I needed it.
So many people get addicted but for me I didn’t get any good feeling or buzz from the pills they just helped the pain. After I ran out of them I have a knee brace I would use occasionally. The pain was in the back of my knee and at one point my general practitioner said I had a Baker’s Cyst. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me I needed knee replacement but said I could put it off as long as I could tolerate the pain. He gave me a shot in my knee and that has worked for over a year. I think all the walking has helped too. I went back a few months ago and got a shot in the other knee. I haven’t used the brace in quite a while.
I have had nerve pain. Usually the pain is at its worst when I have been sitting and when I stand up it’s unbearable. But when I start walking it’s tolerable.We have different posts at work we change posts every hour and the best one is Rover where you just walk and check zones and answer any calls that come up. If I want to keep getting assigned to it I have to do my zone checks and call them in so I do the walking even when I have nerve pain in my leg. I think this is better for the condition than sitting and being inactive. At my last job I was sitting all day and did very little walking.
I think the Mace work and Kettlebell Swings are helping my back. I work out even when I have leg pain. I have an epidural scheduled for Thursday that should help and I have Lyrica.
I’m reading a book called “I know what to do so why don’t I do it “ The author said when he was in middle school he played an instrument and he was constantly competing for first chair. He and an older student went back and forth being first chair.
His family moved and at his new school seniors got first chair regardless of talent. After a few weeks he quit band and never played the instrument again. He said he thought he loved playing the instrument but it was actually the competition he loved. He said to think of a time you have been successful and figure out what motivated you.
For me it’s progress. I started lifting weights right about the time I was going into puberty so I was growing naturally as well as from lifting weights. Seeing the results in the mirror and all the comments and praise I was getting motivated me to work harder.
When I have lost weight it’s seeing the progress in the mirror and on the scales. At work it’s being promoted to supervisor and at first it was all the comments about how I was learning so quickly and being able to do things that the other officers can’t or won’t do. Dispatching is very complicated. There is a computer program that all the information goes into. Several things also go into written log books. There is also a daily report that has to be done in Word. There are also gates you have to open and a door at the ambulance bay you have to open to let the EMTs and the patients they transport in so you have to watch the cameras. You have the controls and you’re answering the phone and the radio and sending officers to calls. The hardest thing to learn was the camera system. It’s so vast and being able to find the cameras you needed to pull up footage and turn the cameras back and record video and pull still pictures took time to learn. The dispatcher was telling me no one ever caught on so fast and now I’m the only officer who can fill in for the dispatcher and the only one who can operate the camera system. It’s being able to learn and the praise I get that motivates me. It’s progress. Posting here and on my website helps too. It’s the Connect step in Create Connect Commit. Sharing with like minded people helps to keep me motivated.
With my workouts I am seeing progress in the mirror, on the scales and with heavier weights and improvements in endurance. It’s progress that motivates me.
I have new goals set and I’m motivated to train. I’m still slipping on my diet and have eaten some chocolate chip cookies in the morning the last two days, I tell my wife not to buy them or at least hide them but they were sitting on the counter. I try to make up for it by cutting back the rest of the day.
I’m confident that I’m going to finish losing 100 pounds. I only have 45 more to go and I know I can do that. I may not do it in the time I have allotted for myself but I will do it eventually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today’s workout
Back,Shoulders, Triceps
Toral Gym Pull Ups superset with Kettlebell Swings 30 lb KB x 20-50, 20-40 (130 reps) I was out of breath
Toral Gym Military Press x 25, 17 (42 reps I was out of breath again)
Mace Triceps Extension x 30
Indian Club High Swings x 20
KB Swings 35lb KB x 50 (out of breath again)
High intensity work is also Cardio I was out of breath
Went up from the 20 lb KB to 30 and 35. I was surprised that I could do 50 swings with the 35 after all the other work . It was 272 reps in a very brief time. Worked the muscles and worked on endurance and cardio conditioning.
I’ll do some more work today probably with the Krusher, BodyBlade, Battle Rope and kettlebell. The Battle Rope is feeling left out and is calling me. I have to vacuum and mop first to help out my wife. Happy wife, happy life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've done sessions in the past where I do reps until failure (however you define it, I usually go by tempo failure), then you rest for about twenty seconds or so, repeat. You should see the reps gradually declining in each set.

It's an effective use of time but probably requires more rest in the long run. If you like high intensity, it avoids "junk volume".
I’m pretty much training to failure but on the Kettlebell Swings it’s a matter of giving out of breath as well. I managed 50 swings with a 35 pound Kettlebell at the end of my workout. I’ll work on increasing my reps from there as 35 pounds is the heaviest KB I have.. I have one that converts dumbbells to kettlebell that I can make as heavy as I want but I haven’t tried it for swings. It looks to me like the weights would bang against your thighs and it would only be good for lighter swings where you could control the downward movement.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Close. I'm actually a Type 4. But Type 1 is my direction of growth.

I've found the Enneagram helpful in my own life and understanding myself, so it's cool you mention it. Lots of spiritual teachers I have followed like Cynthia Bourgeault use the Enneagram.
I was a classic 6 and pretty much checked all the boxes but I have a 5 wing and can be introverted and very studious. I have enough books for a small library and now I have them on Kindle Unlimited.
But over the years I have grown more into my growth point or as they say integrated to a 9. I read that often when Sixes integrate to Nines they become lazy.
That happened to me and I had to snap out of it with the new job and getting back to working out.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I also use 40 lb dumbbells for whole body resistance training from the arms to core, and the legs. The combined weight of the dumbbells (80 lbs) is significant % of my body weight at 120 lbs.

I've been doing this for almost a year now. I'm so much stronger now, yet, my muscles did not get visibly bigger. I still look thin and frail. We get visitors sometimes and see the huge dumbbells and they laugh at it and ask who's using it (I definitely don't look like I've been training with them for a year with my thin build)

I'm not complaining. Getting bigger muscles wasn't high on my list of priorities. It was simply getting stronger. I'm looking to get an even heavier set once I saved enough money for it. It's totally useful for me since I'm also practicing skating and advancing towards figure skating. Being strong helps avoid injuries in falls and avoid joint injuries in some of the moves. It's ridiculous to start learning figure skating at your forties because we're not as flexible as when we were kids that's why it's fundamental for pro figure skaters to start as kids. There are moves I won't be able to do at the risk of injury but I'm totally fine with it.

I also find it useful to be strong enough to be able to carry another person in an emergency. So far, I'm 100% issue free with the weights I'm using and hoping I can top out to twice my body weight with progressive training, eventually with barbells when I can afford them.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also use 40 lb dumbbells for whole body resistance training from the arms to core, and the legs. The combined weight of the dumbbells (80 lbs) is significant % of my body weight at 120 lbs.

I've been doing this for almost a year now. I'm so much stronger now, yet, my muscles did not get visibly bigger. I still look thin and frail. We get visitors sometimes and see the huge dumbbells and they laugh at it and ask who's using it (I definitely don't look like I've been training with them for a year with my thin build)

I'm not complaining. Getting bigger muscles wasn't high on my list of priorities. It was simply getting stronger. I'm looking to get an even heavier set once I saved enough money for it. It's totally useful for me since I'm also practicing skating and advancing towards figure skating. Being strong helps avoid injuries in falls and avoid joint injuries in some of the moves. It's ridiculous to start learning figure skating at your forties because we're not as flexible as when we were kids that's why it's fundamental for pro figure skaters to start as kids. There are moves I won't be able to do at the risk of injury but I'm totally fine with it.

I also find it useful to be strong enough to be able to carry another person in an emergency. So far, I'm 100% issue free with the weights I'm using and hoping I can top out to twice my body weight with progressive training, eventually with barbells when I can afford them.
That’s impressive

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Do you have any second hand stores or consignment shops in your area? You can usually find exercise equipment. People buy it then don’t use it and eventually get rid of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Strength has alot to do with neuromuscular recruitment of muscle fibers, and not necessarily hypertrophy. So it's possible to gain strength and not have muscles gain significant mass.

The bit of weight training I have been doing payed off practically in hauling mattresses around yesterday, and feeling an added sense of security that I was lifting things safely. Even relatively small efforts pay off over time if you are consistent, whether it's just going for a walk or doing body weight exercises or working with dumbells.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yesterday's workout:

10 minutes hand cycle at ~30 watts
10 minutes recumbent bike, also ~30 watts

2x10 Arnold Presses with 5 lb free weights
2x10 chest presses with the same
2 x 12 rows, 10 lb each hand
2 x 10 leg presses, 60 lbs

Then I finished with:
10 minutes of easy rowing
Brief intervals of sprinting hard and walking, for about five minutes. on a manual treadmill.

The strength training was probably too low in intentsity, except for the Leg Press and Arnold Presses. I think I prefer body weight squats with higher volume. There's something about leg presses that felt less than good on my back. I intentionally didn't push myself hard after the first set. Maybe my lower body flexibility isn't quite there yet. I tried to keep the range of motion under control to account for that.

Afterwards, I went to IKEA and picked up a new mattress and topper, and I hauled my old mattress out to the dumpster. It's too early to tell if my mattress is going to be comfortable, as IKEA advises waiting 48 hours before evaluating it, since the material was compressed into a tube. They also have a generous 90 day return policy on mattresses, which was something I considered in the purchase since I've never owned a non-spring mattress before.

I got a decent nights sleep, a little over six hours. I'll probably take a nap later. We probably aren't going to church today but we'll see how we feel. Church can be draining for both of us.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday's workout:

Then I finished with:
Brief intervals of sprinting hard and walking, for about five minutes. on a manual treadmill.

The strength training was probably too low in intentsity, except for the Leg Press and Arnold Presses. I think I prefer body weight squats with higher volume. There's something about leg presses that felt less than good on my back. I intentionally didn't push myself hard after the first set. Maybe my lower body flexibility isn't quite there yet. I tried to keep the range of motion under control to account for that.

Afterwards, I went to IKEA and picked up a new mattress and topper, and I hauled my old mattress out to the dumpster. It's too early to tell if my mattress is going to be comfortable, as IKEA advises waiting 48 hours before evaluating it, since the material was compressed into a tube. They also have a generous 90 day return policy on mattresses, which was something I considered in the purchase since I've never owned a non-spring mattress before.

I got a decent nights sleep, a little over six hours. I'll probably take a nap later. We probably aren't going to church today but we'll see how we feel. Church can be draining for both of us.
I got two hours now I'm working on my book on the Enneagram.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday's workout:

Then I finished with:

When you say Arnold Press are you referring to DB Military Press where you start with hands facing toward you and rotate them to facing away as you press them overhead?
Arnold Schwarzenegger developed this technique. He came up with a variety of different techniques but some said he did it to see how many people were copying him.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really have to do something about my sleep. In late 2007 I went two weeks without sleeping. It affected my behavior. My wife got me admitted to a hospital and they diagnosed me with PTSD and a variety of other things. They said they would help me get on disability. But they gave me meds that allowed me to sleep and after I got some rest I knew I was just under a lot of stress and had a bad case of insomnia.
I took FMLA and when I came back to work the Sheriff didn’t know what to do. They kept putting me off then gave me a letter stating that they were putting me on leave without pay pending long term disability.
I wasn’t going on disability, there was nothing wrong with me and I sued them. I had exposed corruption in the department and turned my findings over to the Attorney General’s office and the Assistant Chief had to resign. Now they could get their revenge. It took 9 months but I got a settlement.
In the meantime I had taken a job at a warehouse and worked my way up to manager in four months.
I was taking Ambien and it worked. After I was at the warehouse a little over a year the company closed the warehouse and moved the operation to another warehouse in Florida.
I got a job as head of security at a hospital , I had another episode where I went two weeks without sleep again and ended up in the hospital. They thought I had psych issues or was on drugs but the blood and urine tests showed there was nothing in my system. Turned out I had Rhabdo.
I got straightended out and got back on Ambien but weird things happened. I would find where I had gotten up and ate and had no memory of it. I posted things on Facebook and didn’t remember. I called people and didn’t remember.
One night I woke up in my truck and I had run into a telephone pole and had no idea how I got there. Thank God I didn’t hurt anyone.
I got off Ambien and tried several medications and nothing worked until I got on Klonopin. I took 2 mg.
It worked but my wife said I looked zoned out and was lifeless so I went to another doctor and she began slowly cutting it back a quarter at a time until I got to one half mg. I was my old self again. But when I tried cutting any further I couldn’t sleep. I did good on half a milligram until I decided to switch jobs. I knew I would have to take a drug test and the Klonopin would make me test positive for a benzoid. Then I would have to show them my prescription and they would know I took Klonopin and they might think it was for something other than sleep. I didn’t want to take any chances so I quit taking it. I haven’t slept good since.
My doctor was glad I got off of it and when we talked about getting back on a half milligram he said the law had changed and I would have to see him every 39 days if I took it. So he put me on Seroquil but it doesn’t work. I take a supplement called Somatomax and it helps but I have to watch the dose because it has caused sleep walking and getting up and eating while half asleep.
If I get four hours sleep I’m good. I know I need more sleep especially with the resistance training and Metcons. It would even help with losing weight.
I’m looking into a program that was developed for veterans that naturally helps you sleep by making changes like eliminating caffeine, not looking at blue light (cell phones, tablets etc,,) for a period of time before bed, making your bed to be associated only with sleep, developing a bedtime routine and establishing habits that get you in the mindset for sleep etc..
Well my alarm just went off and I only got two hours of sleep but I feel pretty good. I got a lot of writing done on my book, I just got the computer yesterday and installed Word so I could get started on my book and I guess I was excited about that and couldn’t sleep. I’m going to have a couple of cups of coffee and then off to work for a 12 hour shift. I will be dispatching today so I’m looking forward to it.
I’m sure I will sleep better tonight.
I know I need sleep for recovery. You train, you rest, then you grow. If you don’t recover you don’t get results.
I haven’t set a goal for a date for finishing my book so there will be no pressure there and I am going to talk to my doctor about other possible medication for sleep when I go back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0