First it was the Confederate statues, and now...

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Haha
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
President Trump is on to a lot of things because he has common sense. Apparently, it is the intellect that is most difficult to recognize.
When he too stupid to realize solar on wall is idiot idea then not a lot of intellect there. Any decent businessman recognize is ridiculous idea immediately. Not Trump.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's not just about the Confederacy; it's part and parcel of an attack of any manifestation of Western Civilization. This is why Yankees ought to support the preservation of Confederate monuments. Their history is a stake too. The seems to get this...
Why would people save statue and flag meant to remind people they were slaves and considered less than human? Is terrible thing and should be destroyed or put in museum. Should not be in parks and public places. Confederate flag no different than Nazi flag in many ways.

Trump defend Nazis and KKK so not surprise he also defend symbols of racism and segregation.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Part of the problem though IS the far Right; they just exacerbate the frustrations of the extreme Left. I don't think either of these represent the healthy aspirations of a democratic nation or a fair republic.
That sounds like my childen when they were 3. So and so made me do it.
People are solely responsible for their actions.
Ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Christopher Columbus is the new target.

Columbus statue beheaded: Christopher Columbus Statue Beheaded in NY

Los Angeles bans Columbus Day and replaces it with Indigenous Peoples' Day: In Los Angeles, Columbus Day is toppled like a Confederate statue

Trump was definitely on to something when he said Jefferson and Washington statues would be targeted next. Thoughts?
Renaming holiday makes sense if reality important.

How can celebrate discovery of America when people already live there? How can celebrate Columbus discovery of America when people from Europe already came to America centuries before?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Why would people save statue and flag meant to remind people they were slaves and considered less than human?

Why would they save the Parthenon which was built by slaves?

Is terrible thing and should be destroyed or put in museum. Should not be in parks and public places.

Anything of artistic value left of the Parthenon can go join the Elgin Marbles in the British Museum...

• Agree
Reactions: HawgWyld
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why would they save the Parthenon which was built by slaves?

Anything of artistic value left of the Parthenon can go join the Elgin Marbles in the British Museum...
I can explain history for you. Confederate statues and monuments put up for celebration of Jim Crow laws. These is racist laws against blacks. Here is link to help understand. Parthenon was put up to celebrate city people love.

Confederate statues and monuments celebrate hate. Parthenon celebrate love. Now understand difference?

Is interesting that president Trump who give out so much hate celebrate monuments dedicated to hate. Look at hateful Trump tweets against too many to say from O'Donnell to Mika to Hillary. Look at Trump speeches against Mexicans and Muslims. Look at attacks on political opponents. All full of hate. Sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I can explain history for you. Confederate statues and monuments put up for celebration of Jim Crow laws. These is racist laws against blacks. Here is link to help understand. Parthenon was put up to celebrate city people love.

Confederate statues and monuments celebrate hate. Parthenon celebrate love. Now understand difference?

Is interesting that president Trump who give out so much hate celebrate monuments dedicated to hate. Look at hateful Trump tweets against too many to say from O'Donnell to Mika to Hillary. Look at Trump speeches against Mexicans and Muslims. Look at attacks on political opponents. All full of hate. Sad.
What are you talking about? The Parthenon was built by Pericles on the backs of his betrayed allies. The Delian league quickly went from an Athens-led alliance into an Athenian Empire, in which Athens sacked Naxos, Thasos, Chios and Lesbos to name a few. These had tried to secede from the league, only for Athens to crush them, take most of their output as tribute and install kleruchiai to act as military colonies to keep them in-line by force. The Parthenon was built on a nationalist agenda and the oppression of other Greeks. Why do you think Sparta had such active support from other Greek city-states, in spite of its heavy handedness and slave system?

The Parthenon was built to celebrate a nationalistic, colonialist state, that proudly celebrated what we would term war crimes today. Don't get me wrong, I have no beef with ancient Athens, but the analogy is quite close. For the values celebrated in the Parthenon would be anathema today, but we should not judge the past by modern standards. However, a lot of non-Athenian Greeks would certainly be in their rights should they demand the Parthenon be demolished, based on the example of removing Confederate statues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Now, tell us who the Americas are named for. Hint, he wasn't Chinese.
Probably Amerigo Vespucci, but a good argument can be made for Richard Americk, a Bristol merchant who may possibly have funded Cabot's expedition to Newfoundland.
For it is odd to name something after a commoner's first name, that was usually reserved for royalty, so Vespuccia would perhaps have been more likely then.
That it is named for the former is far more likely, the latter is certainly also a possibility.

• Informative
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Your daughter sounds like she's got a good heart & mind.

Robert E Lee was against Confederate monuments, on account of how he believed they just kept open the sores of war. I think he was right about that. His descendants & those of other major Confederates have been in support of the monuments coming down. Being removed, but not torn down or vandalized. I think they ought to be moved to museums. They're a part of our history & they are important to it, but they don't need to be celebrated.
I really respect RE Lee. He was personally against slavery, yet fought for the Confederacy out of loyalty to his home state of Virginia. He actively supported reconciliation and Johnson's Reconstruction. He opposed glorying the past to help the US heal.
If any figure should unite the two sides, this would be it. A humane, anti-slavery, pro Reconciliation, Southern War Hero, who requested the restoration of his citizenship (granted posthumously). Lee would be the first to say his monuments should be removed if it was for the good of the country.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
And I'm not a liberal.

No argument from me there.

OK, let's turn every statue in the country into Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robots and may the best robot win. My money is on the Statue of Liberty.

No fair, we've seen what she can do in Ghostbusters II!

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I couldn't care less for any of these statutes but since they are public property vandals should be prosecuted.
Los Angeles bans Columbus Day and replaces it with Indigenous Peoples' Day: In Los Angeles, Columbus Day is toppled like a Confederate statue
If they choose to, what is anyone else's business in their matter.
Trump was definitely on to something when he said Jefferson and Washington statues would be targeted next. Thoughts?
Columbus is not Washington or Jefferson so Trump is still an idiot.

• Agree
Reactions: 381465
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As someone with Native American ancestry, I'm very glad to see that this tyrannical fiend may be the next target. I hope every single statue of him is removed from public display and I wouldn't care if these statues were even utterly destroyed either. I know the truth of the atrocities he and his crew committed against the Indigenous people he encountered. As far as I'm concerned this monstrous tyrant doesn't deserve to be honored, celebrated or glorified with statues. I think it's disconcerting that he's given such honor and attention in the first place. And I fully support Los Angeles and all the other cities (listed here) in the United States that have replaced Columbus Day with Indigenous People's Day. I personally think that it's long overdue. I would actually like to see Columbus Day completely replaced with Indigenous Peoples' Day and I sincerely hope it happens in my lifetime.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0