First it was the Confederate statues, and now...

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're asking an awful lot to expect the folks who think Christopher Columbus discovered the USA & are all excited about the holiday to know who Leif Erikson was. Wish that was hyperbolic, but afraid it's not.
Is it? Maybe, I don't know. I don't recall learning much about it in school. But when I was homeschooling my daughter, we always had a unit on Leif Erickson before getting to Columbus. We had fewer details of his life and culture, but she liked him quite a bit better.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nah, it will probably make the libs laugh their tails off at you, especially if they could read what you wrote on here.

Speaking as a liberal myself, I'm not mad about a conservative flaunting the fact that he'll make sure to celebrate Columbus because he thinks it'll upset liberals. I think that such a proclamation is rather silly. First of all, I think it's sad to want to celebrate Columbus, and secondly, I think it's childish to do so just to upset someone who disagrees with you politically and even more childish to brag about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Is it? Maybe, I don't know. I don't recall learning much about it in school. But when I was homeschooling my daughter, we always had a unit on Leif Erickson before getting to Columbus. We had fewer details of his life and culture, but she liked him quite a bit better.

Sure does seem to be, from some of the posts round here with wildly wrong ideas about Columbus.

Sounds like you were a good teacher.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
View attachment 209846
Thread has gone thru a clean-up of flaming and goading; please do not post these kind of posts.

Flaming and Goading
  • Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
  • Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
  • NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad. Quoting and then editing another members post to change the original meaning, commonly referred to as "fixed it for you" (FIFY), is considered goading.
  • Offensive derogatory nicknames and egregious inflammatory comments about public figures may be considered goading.
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
  • If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.
Carry on.

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To me taking down a statue depends in large part on where it is located.

The statue of Robert E. Lee at the Gettysburg battlefield should remain. Lee commanded one of the armies involved in that battle; his statue belongs there just as the statue of George Meade belongs there. The same applies to statues at other battlefields.

However, statues of Lee and other Confederate leaders placed by the KKK and other racists organizations in places where battles never occurred and in some cases in places never even visited by Lee and other Confederate leaders should come down. They were placed for intimidation purposes, not historical purposes.

And I would certainly have no issues with renaming Columbus Day as Native American Day. Columbus never set foot in what is now the United States; Native Americans were treated horribly by the European settlers.

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Christopher Columbus is the new target.

Columbus statue beheaded: Christopher Columbus Statue Beheaded in NY

Los Angeles bans Columbus Day and replaces it with Indigenous Peoples' Day: In Los Angeles, Columbus Day is toppled like a Confederate statue

Trump was definitely on to something when he said Jefferson and Washington statues would be targeted next. Thoughts?

Christopher Columbus was genocidal. Read up on him. He is responsible for the deaths of many Natives. It doesn't make sense to honor someone who killed so many people. In fact, a Christopher Columbus Day (CCD) is just about as "logical" as an Adolf Hitler Day.

I support replacing CCD with a Native American Day.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Part of the problem though IS the far Right; they just exacerbate the frustrations of the extreme Left. I don't think either of these represent the healthy aspirations of a democratic nation or a fair republic.
The far right are responsible for their own actions, and the anarchists are responsible for their own destruction.
Much of the far Right in America has been manufactured as a bogeyman in order to give a sense of urgency to the Resistance.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts? It sounds like these people want a new country. I guess the American Flag will be next ... :eheh:

...they'll probably want one with stripes, and hammer and sickle.
No a rainbow flag

Upvote 0