Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone. As an update wanted to say everything is going well. My wife and I (and kiddos) continue to move forward with Orthodoxy and we go through the rite of catehuman next week. I may have updated last time to be last week but that was a mistake on my part.

Anyway, point of this topic:

I am military and have orders for fort sill, ok. I will be moving in March. That is, Lawton, OK. The nearest parish was 53 minutes away, 7 minutes closer than my current one. Its Western Right and I think its Antiochian... But I was hoping for one closer and thus am asking for help. If not I will go to this one and contact the priest to see if he will work with me since i am not completing catechism where i am currently at.

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The closest 2 that I see are exactly the same distance away in Wichita Falls, TX.

1 Antiochian, and 1 Greek parish both in Wichita Falls, TX.

Edit : In fact both Orthodox churches in Wichita Falls are next door to one another. That's kind of surprising that they're not in different portions of town.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The closest 2 that I see are exactly the same distance away in Wichita Falls, TX.

1 Antiochian, and 1 Greek parish both in Wichita Falls, TX.

Edit : In fact both Orthodox churches in Wichita Falls are next door to one another. That's kind of surprising that they're not in different portions of town.
A western rite and eastern rite next door to each other? Interesting ...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone. As an update wanted to say everything is going well. My wife and I (and kiddos) continue to move forward with Orthodoxy and we go through the rite of catehuman next week. I may have updated last time to be last week but that was a mistake on my part.

I am military and have orders for fort sill, ok. I will be moving in March. That is, Lawton, OK. The nearest parish was 53 minutes away, 7 minutes closer than my current one. Its Western Right and I think its Antiochian... But I was hoping for one closer and thus am asking for help. If not I will go to this one and contact the priest to see if he will work with me since i am not completing catechism where i am currently at.
God be with you all and bless you. :)

Did you check the Assembly of Bishops site? I'm guessing LessThanPerfect did for you maybe.

Directories

Your priest could also speak to the priest where you are moving. It might help the process along. :)

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A western rite and eastern rite next door to each other? Interesting ...

Yes it is. The Antiochian parish seems much busier than the Greek parish, but since the Greek parish only offers services on one Sunday per month, and one Saturday per month I wonder if the priest is full time there? Father Nektarios Morrow is also listed as being as part of the Archdiocese staff, so I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is. The Antiochian parish seems much busier than the Greek parish, but since the Greek parish only offers services on one Sunday per month, and one Saturday per month I wonder if the priest is full time there? Father Nektarios Morrow is also listed as being as part of the Archdiocese staff, so I'm not sure.
Hmmm. I wouldn't know. But I can't see any reason to have only two services a month unless the priest is normally somewhere else.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

How long would it take you to get to the OKC area on I-44? Lots of choices there.

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How long would it take you to get to the OKC area on I-44? Lots of choices there.

It would take an hour and 30-40 min.

As for everyone else thank you for the responses. Im going to an antiochian parish now so im sure they can work with me better in continuing catechism vs starting over especially with my current priest calling over.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It would take an hour and 30-40 min.

As for everyone else thank you for the responses. Im going to an antiochian parish now so im sure they can work with me better in continuing catechism vs starting over especially with my current priest calling over.
I'm not telling you what to do, but it seems to me very likely that it would make more sense to choose between WR and eastern rite. Both are legitimate. But the Greek priest could just as easily as the Antiochian pick up your catechesis. In fact, your catechesis now will be more in line with continuing in an eastern rite parish. That's not to say you should/must stay eastern rite. Just that I think it's probably going to turn out to be a bigger factor than the difference between Greek/Antiochian jurisdiction. (My parish and confessor are Greek, my SF and another local parish I sometimes visit are Antiochian.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not telling you what to do, but it seems to me very likely that it would make more sense to choose between WR and eastern rite. Both are legitimate. But the Greek priest could just as easily as the Antiochian pick up your catechesis. In fact, your catechesis now will be more in line with continuing in an eastern rite parish. That's not to say you should/must stay eastern rite. Just that I think it's probably going to turn out to be a bigger factor than the difference between Greek/Antiochian jurisdiction. (My parish and confessor are Greek, my SF and another local parish I sometimes visit are Antiochian.)

Very true and wise words good sir.

The one I spoke about is the Western Rite, its Antiochian but i will be comminucating with that priest and the one next to it and see what will work best? Either way, the two in Texas are indeed the ones Im eyeing.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Very true and wise words good sir.

The one I spoke about is the Western Rite, its Antiochian but i will be comminucating with that priest and the one next to it and see what will work best? Either way, the two in Texas are indeed the ones Im eyeing.
Ah I see. :)

I can't imagine either a Greek or Antiochian WR lol. Then again I see the WR parish only has one Sat and one Sun DL a month? If the priest is rarely there, it's also not as ideal for catechesis. Seems like you've made the most logical choice all around, but it's good to talk to both.

If I ever get out that way, out of curiosity I must visit that Greek WR parish. I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Oh, and I'm not a "sir" but that's ok. :)

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah I see. :)

I can't imagine either a Greek or Antiochian WR lol. Then again I see the WR parish only has one Sat and one Sun DL a month? If the priest is rarely there, it's also not as ideal for catechesis. Seems like you've made the most logical choice all around, but it's good to talk to both.

If I ever get out that way, out of curiosity I must visit that Greek WR parish. I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Oh, and I'm not a "sir" but that's ok. :)

Ugh, I knew that too! For some reason at a glance I thought I saw Anthansius as your name. My mistake!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ugh, I knew that too! For some reason at a glance I thought I saw Anthansius as your name. My mistake!
Ah well if I'm going to get my name confused, might as well be with one of the great ones. ^_^

(Teasing you)

No worries. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Off topic, but my father retired at Ft Sill and I went to high school in Lawton.

Well while we are at it, what were your thoughts of the area? Is the community good in tbe area?

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah well if I'm going to get my name confused, might as well be with one of the great ones. ^_^

(Teasing you)

No worries. :)

Fair enough, oh, i looked into it more, the Greek Parish is the once a month, the Antiochian WR has all sorts of stuff, Wednesday Eucharist, thursday studies, sat vespers, and sunday orthos and divine liturgy.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough, oh, i looked into it more, the Greek Parish is the once a month, the Antiochian WR has all sorts of stuff, Wednesday Eucharist, thursday studies, sat vespers, and sunday orthos and divine liturgy.
Ah ok then I've got it all confused again.

Regardless, I'm sure you can evaluate the situation when you get there. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if folks from the less active parish attend the other one when they aren't having services anyway. That's what I would do. It's an interesting situation to be sure.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well while we are at it, what were your thoughts of the area? Is the community good in tbe area?

I still go there once or twice a year because I have an aunt living there, and still get together with some high school friends.

It's not a real up-and coming community. While it's got a couple of production plants, Ft Sill is by far its biggest "industry." In fact, local officials will normally refer to the town as "Lawton-Ft Sill."

The crime rate is pretty high. I've never seen any place with so many liquor stores and pawn shops per capita (and most pawn shops seem to be co-located with liquor stores...one-stop shop).

As Army posts go, it's not the worst place to be stationed, but it's not great.

Upvote 0