Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We had a chrismation at Church on Sunday. Our parish - wow. So much change. I got in with the older folks (of which there were many!) when I first came - what, almost 10 years ago?

Sadly we’ve lost many and a few moved away. But our parish is getting FULL! It’s young people, some different ethnicities but mostly just “white American” and mostly young, and I find I don’t really know any of them as they are in their own circles. More of the Liturgy is in English. Our parish actually split some years back I’m told because some wanted English and some wanted to keep Greek. We’ve had 4 priests in the past 4 or so years, but hopefully this one is staying (I had hoped that of the former ones too).

It’s a lot of upheaval, but I’m thinking overall it’s good. I used to worry that the parish wouldn’t be viable long-term as not enough of the Greek children/grandchildren were remaining there in adulthood. We have lots of kids now! And me still just a bit too busy to teach Sunday school again. Father made it a point on Sunday to have everyone who had the workday before and pointed out that most of them were not yet Orthodox and none were Greek.

I feel disconnected, because my (insert bad word here) school made everything on Sunday, so it has usually been impossible to go to Church. :disappointed:

Now that I’m finished I’m getting back in though. It is nice, those familiar faces I do see.

This is in no way a complaint though - just an observation. It’s been this way every time I’ve managed to be there over the past year or two. And ultimately I think it will (hopefully) keep the Church going. It’s nice to see young people full of passion, even if I don’t know them (yet).

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
in all honesty too, I am glad you are back (both at your parish and here) after your study. being away must have been rough.
It has been. I started school roughly around the time Covid started. We had just gotten a new priest. Our parish was closed, then closed again.

Things piled on top of things. We got another new priest. Then later another. School intensified. I visited Church when I could, but that’s what I felt like - a visitor. But I would be up till 4am several nights a week just trying to keep up with work and school. A drive plus half a day for Liturgy on the day I was scheduled to do everything for school (I hate they chose Sunday) just made it hard. Those are really excuses, you know. You’re a priest, I’m sure you hear them all the time.

I can’t believe in the beginning of Covid I felt like I couldn’t miss Church even a few weeks and survive. Now - just wow.

But yes I’m thankful I’m back. And honestly, I’m probably just as busy. Our clinic is falling apart - we’ve had a lot of resignations. I had my job, now I’m working more than full time to cover jobs of people who left, I’m studying for boards, and as soon as I pass I need to take over for someone else who resigned And my supervisor is going out on medical leave soon.

Me … I’m trying to sleep most nights, get in a little exercise, and go back Church while handling all this. I hope I pass my boards first time out. It’s a bear of an exam, everyone says.

Church feels like a lifeline now, which is what it should have been all along while open.

Upvote 0