✟15,556.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
2 Entered, greeting.
I think women should exclusively be pastors and/or teachers.

agreed, also I would like to say, and this is only me. the titles prophetess, and
deaconess, should not be used any more. because it applies to gender. and in Christ, we're neither male, or Female. but we're Spiritual in him. either you're a prophet, or you're a Deacon. to me Gender don't count.

Thanks.

I am obviously being a bit tongue and cheek here, but this sort of thing gets me down.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow.. I never knew Christianity was so sexist. Y'learn somethin' new every day. o.o

It's not.

The gospel is an immensely liberating belief system, but it came out of a culture that was incredibly sexist. Unfortunately, the Apostles' and Church fathers' attempt to apply structure to the nascent church came through the filter of that culture, so now we have enough sexist tradition to give modern sexists an excuse to persist in their beliefs.

Upvote 0

101c

Force of one
Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
✟15,812.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not.

The gospel is an immensely liberating belief system, but it came out of a culture that was incredibly sexist. Unfortunately, the Apostles' and Church fathers' attempt to apply structure to the nascent church came through the filter of that culture, so now we have enough sexist tradition to give modern sexists an excuse to persist in their beliefs.

Peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
?
Eh, I have seen both sides give plenty of scripture to back up what they believe. Accusing them of merely giving their opinion is a serious misrepresentation of BOTH sides and comments like that make me believe you haven't really read or paid attention to the last 10 pages.

You have seen "a lot" of "I thinks" "my opinions" because apparantly that is all you wanted to see. The fact that you ignored the scriptural arguments presented in this thread shows that you really don't have a refutation for these arguments so you just pretend like they don't exist.

"Thou shall not bear false witness". How's THAT for quoting scripture?

Wow. Why did you get mad? I wasn't lying. People are popping up in here just giving opinion.

I wasn't accusing a particular side. I was merely pointing out that some people are making statements based on what they thought of the bible when we were supposed to be discussing what the bible says. I was pointing it out to those making that mistake and not necessarily to you. I just want the discussion of the bible to be about the bible and not what we think about it. There are plenty of threads for what we "think." This isn't on of those threads.

But that's all. Any more scripture you want to throw in my face?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh? Please enlighten us.

-Phoebe, a deaconess in the church in Rome (Romans 16:1-2)
-Priscilla, a pastor in Ephesus (Acts 18:2, 18; Romans 16:3, and 1 Corinthians 16:19). She also one of the leading theories of authorship of Hebrews
- Euodia and Syntyche, leaders in church in Philippi who Paul says have worked by his side in Philippians 4
- Junia (Romans 16:7), well-known among the apostles

Upvote 0

acropolis

so rad
Jan 29, 2008
✟20,293.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Oh? Please enlighten us.

This might upset you, but the Christian church as you know it did not spring forth fully-formed in a single instant, but instead took hundreds of years to form. During that time, particularly in the first few hundred years, there were a variety of different Christian churches that were very different from the church as it is today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImperatorWall

Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
The moon
✟18,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
-Phoebe, a deaconess in the church in Rome (Romans 16:1-2)
-Priscilla, a pastor in Ephesus (Acts 18:2, 18; Romans 16:3, and 1 Corinthians 16:19). She also one of the leading theories of authorship of Hebrews
- Euodia and Syntyche, leaders in church in Philippi who Paul says have worked by his side in Philippians 4
- Junia (Romans 16:7), well-known among the apostles

Phoebe - Deaconess, helped and distributed money to the poor. Not a position of leadership.

Priscilla - What verse exactly indicates that she was a pastor? No one knows who wrote Hebrews, so attempting to attribute the work to her is irrelevant.

Euodia and Syntyche - Again, what verse indicates these women had positions of leadership in the church?

Junia - Not a position of leadership.

I do hope you have sources for these bold claims.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Phoebe - Deaconess, helped and distributed money to the poor. Not a position of leadership.

Priscilla - What verse exactly indicates that she was a pastor? No one knows who wrote Hebrews, so attempting to attribute the work to her is irrelevant.

Euodia and Syntyche - Again, what verse indicates these women had positions of leadership in the church?

Junia - Not a position of leadership.

I do hope you have sources for these bold claims.

Bible.com

Upvote 0

ImperatorWall

Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
The moon
✟18,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

That article only states what you have already stated, without explaining why we are to believe these women had positions of leadership.

I see no nothing in the scripture or in your one cited source to lend your statements validity.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
That article only states what you have already stated, without explaining why we are to believe these women had positions of leadership.

I see no nothing in the scripture or in your one cited source to lend your statements validity.

Sources outside scripture. Regardless, you may have a problem with women leading in the church, but that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I have no desire to change your opinion or really discuss it with you because it would just turn into an argument that I really don't want to spend the brainpower to do.

Upvote 0