✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's what I thought about Roman Catholicism even as a kid, I knew something just wasn't right; I thank God for Jesus, He pulled me out of that burning building.

Why did God pull you out of a burning building and throw other people into the same burning building?

Reactions: crishmael
Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Why did God pull you out of a burning building and throw other people into the same burning building?

Just my opinion, but people are sheep. Some people don't even consider that the Roman Catholic church could be wrong. They go for years, even a whole lifetime of doing everything according to the RC church and don't even question anything about what the RC church believes. In short, it wasn't God, it was Man falling for the Amway salesmen again, thats all.

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
After reading the last 10 pages, we should really not depend on our own understandings or opinions when we discuss topics of the bible. I've seen alot of "I think, "in my church," "In my opinion."

When having a discussion about the bible, we should be discussing what the bible says on this issue. I just wish that both sides (egalitarian and complimentarian) were not just "giving their opinion" on the matter, but quoting scripture to support what they believe.

Do you "know" what you believe?

Upvote 0

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I just wish that both sides (egalitarian and complimentarian) were not just "giving their opinion" on the matter, but quoting scripture to support what they believe.

Eh, I have seen both sides give plenty of scripture to back up what they believe. Accusing them of merely giving their opinion is a serious misrepresentation of BOTH sides and comments like that make me believe you haven't really read or paid attention to the last 10 pages.

You have seen "a lot" of "I thinks" "my opinions" because apparantly that is all you wanted to see. The fact that you ignored the scriptural arguments presented in this thread shows that you really don't have a refutation for these arguments so you just pretend like they don't exist.

"Thou shall not bear false witness". How's THAT for quoting scripture?

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe women can be teachers and be active members in the church. But they can only teach to other women. Our church has an AMAZING women's ministry that does a lot of great work. I can't begin to describe how much of a blessing it is to our community having that woman's ministry.

I believe God had separate roles for men and women and this is not a discussion of having a second-rate opinion of women as many would like you to think if you believe women shouldn't have authority over men in church.

To me there's nothing more appealing than a woman who knows her role within the church, knows she's important and needed in her role and doesn't have entitlement issues. We ALL must give ourselves in submission to each other, to the congregation and more importantly to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
After reading the last 10 pages, we should really not depend on our own understandings or opinions when we discuss topics of the bible. I've seen alot of "I think, "in my church," "In my opinion."

When having a discussion about the bible, we should be discussing what the bible says on this issue. I just wish that both sides (egalitarian and complimentarian) were not just "giving their opinion" on the matter, but quoting scripture to support what they believe.

Thing about that is, people think different things about what the Bible means.

For example, some people quote the Bible while thinking that we should try to apply Paul's words acontextually to our own time; others believe that we should look at the culture of the time in which he wrote. And people differ about the significance of that culture. Some think that the English translation is sufficient for them to understand what Paul meant. Some say you need to exegete. Some wonder why people even use Paul as a lawgiver at all, when Christ himself had nothing to say on the subject.

You're right, it's not enough just to pull words out of the Bible and say "this proves my point". That's called prooftexting, and it's prone to fallacy. One needs to be able to demonstrate how his interpretation of that one verse that he pulled out of the Bible is in line up with the Bible's original meaning, and more importantly, with the core of the gospel as spoken by Christ. But quoting scripture and saying nothing else is no better, because people WILL interpret a verse differently. Interpretation must be discussed.

Do you "know" what you believe?
If I exercise belief on something, it is only because it is something I do not know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

101c

Force of one
Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
✟15,812.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that the female prophetess Deborah was the very first judge that GOD ordained to be a judge for Israel. Very interesting needless to say. Especially way back in them days.

Jdg 4:4
And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK, controversy time...

Disclaimer: I just want to preface this by reminding everyone to remain civil and to realise that (even if we might want to) we're probably not going to change someone's theological position with a single post.

So, my question is: what is everyone's stance on female pastors? Biblical or not? Also, what about female teachers at Bible College/Seminary? Is it the same? Or because its not a church does your position change?

FWIW I believe the Bible is clear that women should not be in authority over men in the church. But the reason I'm asking this is that I'm considering enrolling at a Bible College where I would be taught by a woman. I'm sure she's totally capable and knows the material etc. But I'm not sure if its theologically ok.
I really hope I don't sound sexist or misogynistic by even asking this. I just want to make sure I wouldn't be going against God's word. This area (gender roles) has been an area I've had a lot of trouble coming to terms with since I became a Christian (partly due to my upbringing).

Thanks,
JJ

Ideally, I don't think there should be female pastors.

As a woman, I used to be very angry and against this and asked God countless times why. He gave me the same countless answer. Later, it just made sense. It wasn't because God was sexist. If He was, then he shouldn't have made Eve at all. It was because Eve was Adam's helper and partner, but also the mother of all things.

As men were made for other great plans of God, so are women. When we come together, we become one and carry out the same plan that God has with our hands.

Deborah the prophet/judge was an exception. People came to her for God's wisdom and understanding, not the other way around. God chose her specifically for good reasons. She knew her limits and was humble. God blessed her with the position of being the judge, yet she served her people with humility. God picked Deborah because of her willingness to follow Him, not because she was a woman or because she had the ambition to exalt herself.

It also depends on the time period. Deborah lived in an era where there was war and the Israel needed guidance. Perhaps in God's eyes, Deborah was the one who could be used to carry out His plans because of her willingness and obedience.

However, I think it's okay to have a female Bible teacher at the school. It's school, after all, not the church. Also, as a child of God, you are the one who needs spiritual nourishment at this point.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

...Deborah the prophet/judge was an exception.

There are no exceptions to moral principles. Only to preferences. If it is "ideal" in a moral sense for women not to lead men, then Deborah could not have been a righteous leader.

Upvote 0

Going Merry

‏‏‏‏ ‏‏‏‏
Mar 14, 2012
✟16,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i think men and women have different roles, but that does not mean one is greater than the other. the time you start thinking you're the greatest you end up the least :p God looks at us individually. A righteous woman preaching to sinners, and those sinners then putting that woman down would be judged for not heeding to her words. Same thing for a righteous man preaching to sinners. Male or female it doesn't matter. Males and females do have different roles, I don't really care who is the leader you can say. The most spiritually mature person should be the leader and in my eyes it should be male but yeah whoever is more mature. As far as paul goes he was setting an example for people to follow in the church. He gave a order for the groups he preached to. Sure his same principals about that are still used today, which is perfectly fine. I don't even go to church my self so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. But yeah I don't think this is a life or death situation, more of a common sense thing. lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are no exceptions to moral principles. Only to preferences. If it is "ideal" in a moral sense for women not to lead men, then Deborah could not have been a righteous leader.

Ah, I see. That does make sense.

Upvote 0

KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This has been a big deal in my life lately. In my reading of Scripture, I have arrived at the conclusion that women can be pastors. However, for some reason this inspires a disproportionate amount of rage in the people who believe otherwise, to the point where I've been asked to not be involved in a church just for having the belief (I wasn't even championing it).

I am respectful, however, of those who believe that women cannot be pastors. I disagree with them, but I understand their reasoning. I do know of some churches, though, who take it further; they don't allow women to lead worship, or to read Scripture, or to even be up front at all during the service. To me that doesn't make any sense whatsoever given the Biblical standards they embrace.

Upvote 0

101c

Force of one
Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
✟15,812.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

As a woman, I used to be very angry and against this and asked God countless times why. He gave me the same countless answer. Later, it just made sense. It wasn't because God was sexist. If He was, then he shouldn't have made Eve at all. It was because Eve was Adam's helper and partner, but also the mother of all things.

As men were made for other great plans of God, so are women. When we come together, we become one and carry out the same plan that God has with our hands.

Deborah the prophet/judge was an exception. People came to her for God's wisdom and understanding, not the other way around. God chose her specifically for good reasons. She knew her limits and was humble. God blessed her with the position of being the judge, yet she served her people with humility. God picked Deborah because of her willingness to follow Him, not because she was a woman or because she had the ambition to exalt herself.

It also depends on the time period. Deborah lived in an era where there was war and the Israel needed guidance. Perhaps in God's eyes, Deborah was the one who could be used to carry out His plans because of her willingness and obedience.

However, I think it's okay to have a female Bible teacher at the school. It's school, after all, not the church. Also, as a child of God, you are the one who needs spiritual nourishment at this point.

peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0