Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

Please read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kicking bibles, voting for Trump, it all comes from the same place.
Yeah, Trump is Literally Hitler. I don't know which side is the most deranged;, the "Trump Is A Saint" folks or the "Trump Is Satan" lot. There's enough lunacy there to go around.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What struck me is that I see four people participating in that stunt, in the video, and yet it's the gender of the one woman that's made an issue, as if somehow that's where the problem is with all of this...

Are you saying that if the holder would have been a woman and the kicker a man, we would have gone after the holder?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,178.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that if the holder would have been a woman and the kicker a man, we would have gone after the holder?
I'm saying that people have latched onto the gender of the one woman, to make an issue of that, rather than seeing that the problems here simply aren't about gender.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm saying that people have latched onto the gender of the one woman, to make an issue of that, rather than seeing that the problems here simply aren't about gender.
exactly right! The men in the congregation are also supporting kicking the Bible.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, Trump is Literally Hitler. I don't know which side is the most deranged;, the "Trump Is A Saint" folks or the "Trump Is Satan" lot. There's enough lunacy there to go around.
I'm gonna go with the side that has more custom car wraps extolling their position.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If that's true, and if that's how the world thinks, why did she do it?

If you knew you would be singled out because of your gender, would you do something stupid like she did?

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
exactly right! The men in the congregation are also supporting kicking the Bible.

A real man would have gotten it right.

"Kick me" ... not "I'll kick You."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look, the whole thing, the whole "super bowl of preaching," looks to my non-American eyes to be completely irreverent. Silly gimmick and not in any way edifying. (Something I'd like to put down to "only those crazy Americans would do this," perhaps with a side dose of, "thank goodness for churches with robust liturgy," and move on).

How would you have felt if she had kicked a statue of Mary, instead of a Bible?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,178.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If that's true, and if that's how the world thinks, why did she do it?

If you knew you would be singled out because of your gender, would you do something stupid like she did?
I don't know why she did it, and I don't want to judge her motivations from ignorance.

But as to your second question, I'm singled out because of my gender whether what I do is stupid or not, so... the only way to avoid that is to not do anything.
How would you have felt if she had kicked a statue of Mary, instead of a Bible?
I think my disappointment would be similar, in that it's a gimmicky action (and a profoundly disrespectful one, at that), taking what should be the place of proclaiming the good news of the kingdom.

I think, too, as a woman in ministry, it's particularly frustrating that this gives people another opportunity to accuse women in ministry of, well, all the sorts of accusations we see in this thread (and then some). A bit like, we've worked so hard to be where we are, we don't really need people doing stupid things to undermine that!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There is more disrespect done by us every day when we fail to live up to what we have been given than when some lady (or some guy) kicks the Bible in an ill-advised TV publicity stunt. That said, this was still an incredibly foolish and frankly evil act. In our liturgies, the priest reminds us gravely that "The holies are for the holy" before we approach for communion, but the same is really true of everything in the house of God, including the scriptures. This is why we venerate them so much. So to see such blatant disrespect from someone who is of some rank in any church anywhere really makes me sick. I know that she is unlikely to be formally disciplined in whatever church she is in, but if there were ever a reason to do so, it'd be hard to come up with something more obvious than kicking the Bible. Moment of poor judgment or not, I do believe there should be ecclesiastical penalties when someone handles what is sacred in such an irreverent way, and I for one am glad to belong to a tradition which maintains the same, as I would hope all would.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it?

And if Donald Trump kicked a Bible, would people be just as mad?

-CryptoLutheran
I know that I would definitely be. And I am someone who voted twice for Trump.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

They are not of a piece. Moreover, Trump is not Satan. He's not nearly that smart. Kicking Bibles and supporting Trump are peculiar to a form of American Christianity that has lost its way. What is alarming is that one could simultaneously be appalled at Bible kicking and yet safely assume Trump is on their side. But let's be patient since absurdity on these counts seem to have no limit. Before long, Trump will be selling golden bibles with American flag binding. One can only hope.

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are not of a piece. Moreover, Trump is not Satan. He's not nearly that smart. Kicking Bibles and supporting Trump are peculiar to a form of American Christianity that has lost its way. What is alarming is that one could simultaneously be appalled at Bible kicking and yet safely assume Trump is on their side. But let's be patient since absurdity on these counts seem to have no limit. Before long, Trump will be selling golden bibles with American flag binding. One can only hope.
I am curious as the reasoning behind "support of Trump is incompatible with Christianity"?

Now I am not a Trump supported, but ...

Biden openly supports

1. Partial-birth abortion / abortion through 9 months
2. Transgenderism, including the widespread chemical castration of children
3. Identity politics

None of that stuff is compatible with Christianity, and some of it is pure evil

Reactions: FameBright
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am curious as the reasoning behind "support of Trump is incompatible with Christianity"?

Now I am not a Trump supported, but ...

Biden openly supports

1. Partial-birth abortion / abortion through 9 months
2. Transgenderism, including the widespread chemical castration of children
3. Identity politics

None of that stuff is compatible with Christianity, and some of it is pure evil

The difference is Trump has had wide support amongst Christians. If you have a problem with Biden, too, fine. I get it. What I don't get is the unfailing support of Trump amongst Christians. Conservative Christians have enough political power to legitimately support someone else. They could support Haley.

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The difference is Trump has had wide support amongst Christians. If you have a problem with Biden, too, fine. I get it. What I don't get is the unfailing support of Trump amongst Christians. Conservative Christians have enough political power to legitimately support someone else. They could support Haley.
Haley is extremely Hawkish, and has authoritarian tendencies that are even worse than Trump's

Upvote 0