USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Meanwhile, people who were accused of the crime of "trespassing" in the Capitol building on January 6 were thrown into dungeons, tortured, and denied legal counsel.

This is false.

There are *3* cases involving misdemeanor "trespass" cases where the defendants have been detained in jail prior to conviction, two of them have pled guilty and were sentenced to 6 months (time served) for their "parading" charge, the third is still in jail.

1. A Florida man who'd previously done time for attempted murder and was considered a danger to the community. After he'd been detained for 6 months, the prosecutors moved fairly quickly to get a plea deal for a single charge with a 6 month maximum. He was released for time served after sentencing.

2. A Michigan man who'd on two separate occasions fled from police. He had an large cache of weapons and was considered a danger to the community. During his detention he was also under indictment for obstructing Congress (a felony). Like #1, after 6 months he accepted a single parading charge with a 6 month maximum, was sentenced to 6 months time served and released.

3. A Pennsylvania woman currently being held pre-trial on trespass, parading, and (oops) also obstruction of congressional proceedings (felony) charges (like #2). She was out on bail, but, due to her insane "sovereign citizen" nonsense disrupting the court, so the judge revoked her bail. She doesn't have a lawyer, because she refuses to have one.

There are about 40 additional defendants in pre-trial detention (mostly at the DC Jail) they are all charged with violence and/or conspiracy and are all detained on felony charges. They are only detained because they are considered threats to the community or are flight risks. There are more defendants charged with assaulting police *outside* jail than in jail awaiting trial.

No one is in a dungeon. No one has been tortured. And the few without lawyers are those who have chosen to represent themselves.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is false.
Nope. You amplified some of what I referred to and you would have preferred me to have used more antiseptic terminology for some of what happened. I "get" all of that--you want to exonerate the government however possible. But the "This is false" reply is what's false.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nope. You amplified some of what I referred to and you would have preferred me to have used more antiseptic terminology for some of what happened.

Despite the pandemic, we only require that your claims be accurate and supported by evidence, not antiseptic.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nope. You amplified some of what I referred to and you would have preferred me to have used more antiseptic terminology for some of what happened. I "get" all of that--you want to exonerate the government however possible. But the "This is false" reply is what's false.

O'rly?

I don't care how septic your language is, but if you make gross misrepresentations I also feel free to respond with force.

I'm not here to "exonerate the government" as that is not my purpose. I'm only interested in the facts in this posting. Perhaps you are unaware of the facts. I am aware of them.

In particular you made certain incendiary claims that people charged with trespass were being held in dungeons without lawyers. This is clearly false. No one has been denied a lawyer. A few have refused, but that is their problem.

There are about 650 people that have been publicly charged and arrested. About 250 of those are for violent felonies or conspiracy. Of that 250 about 40 are being held in the DC jail prior to trial (or in a few cases prior to sentencing). That's right the majority of the people with *felony* charges including violence are not in jail pre-trial.

Of the remaining ~400 defendants there are some with other felonies (theft, destruction of property) including obstruction of congressional proceedings (the EV count, remember that thing?), especially the obstruction for entry into the Senate chamber and similar places. A few of these other felony cases are also detained, including 2 of the 3 "trespass" cases I mentioned before.

About half of the full case load from the Capitol attack are the misdemeanor-only "trespass" cases (illegal entry into the capitol, demonstrating in the capitol, failure to leave restricted grounds) and I know of only *1* case in this category with pre-trial detention (the first one I listed) and that defendant had a violent past including attempted murder. Since the FBI couldn't find any evidence of crimes beyond the originally charged trespass crimes the DOJ offered a plea to the lowest charge (parading) and the judge sentenced him to the 6 months (max on charge) he'd already served and he was out of jail and completed his sentence within a couple days of his guilty plea.

As for "dungeons"...

NEWSFLASH: US jails and prisons are pretty rough. Prisoner treatment is quite poor.

NEWSFLASH: The DC Jail is one of those rough places.

NEWSFLASH: The complaints of the Jan 6 defendants got the US Marshals to investigate and they moved all of the prisoners out of the truly awful wing.

IRONY: The Jan6 defendants weren't in the worst part, so they haven't been moved.

SUMMARY:

Only 1 in 12 Jan6 defendants are in jail pre-trial, almost all of them for violence against cops or conspiracy (and not even the majority of defendants in *those* categories are incarcerated) and virtually *none* of the "trespass" cases involve detention. Those who are detained aren't even in the worst federal jail in DC and all defendants have lawyers if they so choose.

I've been following these crimes since before it happened. I've read dozens of charging documents and follow many beat reporters on this case as well as analysts and investigators.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

You should probably provide a more substantive rebuttal than "nuh-uh!"...

... Don't you think?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry. I had assumed that you had actually followed the news over the course of the past several years. :rolleyes:
We have , but you're not being truthful about Trump and legit impeachments. And you should know it. Trump never even tried to hide it . Just like his insurrection on the Jan 6. He told those people what the do. And for some reason the Capital didn't have the man power to protect the Capital better . All this needs to be investigated.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We have , but you're not being truthful about Trump and legit impeachments. And you should know it. Trump never even tried to hide it .
Hide it? In neither of those impeachments did the Democrats in the House even present coherent, specific charges against the President (as, by contrast the impeachments of Nixon and Clinton did).

Evidence used included alleged statements from a "whistleblower" whose identity was not revealed, if he even existed, and he was of course not questioned by the committee. The Republican members were not permitted to fully participate in the proceedings, and all of that is just the beginning of the history of these "show trials."

To your last point, Trump "never even tried to hide it" because there was no "it." There was only a pretense of hearings followed by a near-straight party-line vote.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hide it? In neither of those impeachments did the Democrats in the House even present coherent, specific charges against the President (as, by contrast the impeachments of Nixon and Clinton did).

Evidence used included alleged statements from a "whistleblower" whose identity was not revealed, if he even existed, and he was of course not questioned by the committee. The Republican members were not permitted to fully participate in the proceedings, and all of that is just the beginning of the history of these "show trials."

To your last point, Trump "never even tried to hide it" because there was no "it." There was only a pretense of hearings followed by a near-straight party-line vote.
The Democrats erred in the second impeachment by not charging dereliction of duty. Slam dunk after January 6, 2021 events.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I reckon these sycophants believe they will incur less punishment by refusing to honor subpoenas than they would suffer by honestly testifying to their actions. They certainly understand the system they have rigged.
Seems strange to me that a person would risk legal jeopardy rather than to speak the truth.

But of course Trump fired all people that testified against him and in one case he also fired a brother of a witness.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The Democrats erred in the second impeachment by not charging dereliction of duty. Slam dunk after January 6, 2021 events.

Personally, I think they really erred by not giving the GOP exactly what they wanted and treating Donald as a private citizen after he was out of the office...

...so he could have been arrested,
handcuffed,
processed in a DC police station,
subjected to a mugshot, fingerprinting, and thorough cavity search,
placed in a holding cell,
arraigned by a judge,
denied bail on account of being a flight risk,
entitled to the best legal counsel he can afford without the US Department of Justice or blank check from the Treasury,
and tried by a jury of people who didn't have political campaigns he contributed to.

...you know, like any other private citizen.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Couldn't happen to a more deserving man.

Anybody watch American Dharma? Steve Bannon is sick with nihilism, that was evidenced in the interview with him. He's an angry, bitter man, and he used that anger and bitterness for evil ends.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Sounds like the court is getting tired of the delaying tactics.

FXBAcERXEAIiS_7

Upvote 0