saulfactuspaul

Jan 21, 2017
australia
✟21,801.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My favourite tree is the probably the Judas tree, i have one growing out of the front of the house, the bunya pine is also very nice.

But i confess i am a orchid collector so thats my main interest in plants, I recommend people to go to an orchid show if they have never been

• Friendly
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have often admired the Judas Tree because of its blood red leaves. They call it the Judas Tree because well, he did hang himself (on a tree?) and the story goes that the trees leaves turned red cos of this.

Also known as the Forest Pansy. It doesn't grow too tall so good for suburban gardens.

I haven't seen a bunyan pine, but do have a few cymbidiam orchids. They are easier to grow than the other kind. How do you grow them saulfactuspaul?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So where does the tangelo tree come from? is it native to Aus/NZ?

I find the Norfolk Pine interesting; something to do with Norfolk Island, right?

That's where the come from. I love a pine forest, but I like the thicker European types. NI pines are good in sandy soils, though, so popular on beach fronts

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
73662974.jpg

it's a beautiful, huge tree, with the most amazing bark
Historic Cork Tree - Tenterfield Tourism

1386288396_cork_tree_website_image.jpg

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) is very common around us. Much of the woodland is chestnut, coppiced on a regular 10/15 yr rotation for fence posts or fire logs. In its young to mature stage it grows straight with smooth bark but if left long enough it gets very large with a twisted and deeply furrowed trunk. Nearly always the top dies back leaving white stags horns crowning still vigorous, growing branches.

Feb 2017e.JPG

Feb2017h.JPG

><>

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) is very common around us. Much of the woodland is chestnut, coppiced on a regular 10/15 yr rotation for fence posts or fire logs. In its young to mature stage it grows straight with smooth bark but if left long enough it gets very large with a twisted and deeply furrowed trunk. Nearly always the top dies back leaving white stags horns crowning still vigorous, growing branches.

View attachment 189479
View attachment 189480
><>
Yes it does kind of look like antlers...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I love trees ... reading each post I thought for nearly every one "no, THAT'S my favorite tree!"

It's difficult to choose a favorite. Willow would be up there though. I don't have space to devote to one, but I would love to have access to the branches for all KINDS of things. :)

I planted a tulip tree (magnolia soulageia ?) on my daughter's first birthday, and since I don't have that house anymore, I planted another one for her 18th birthday. They are usually blooming on her birthday, and I used to take her picture with her tree each year when she was growing up.

I love lilacs, but they don't grow here.

Birch, cedars, maple - Japanese or otherwise, camellia, rose of Sharon, empress trees, mimosa, chaste tree, black pine - these are favorites.

This house came with oaks and palms. I've planted fig, pomegranate, persimmon, (I want plum!), crepe myrtles, rose of Sharon, and a volunteer that I'm not quite sure what it is yet. I need to put those morning glory tree seeds in pretty quick.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, something glorious about cedars. I used to live in the mountains in California, and in the summer I'd just keep the windows open. Wonderful, comfortable temperatures. One day in early summer, the most DELICIOUS smell came wafting in. I thought someone was baking something wonderful. I never could identify the source though. After a few days I realized what it was. The sun would come up and start warming the cedar trees, and they began to give off that wonderful scent.

I began to have an appreciation for "the fragrance of the cedars of Lebanon" in Scripture at that point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I planted a magnolia soulangea in memory of my friend who passed away. variety is 'Cleopatra'
Gorgeous crimsony red velvety flowers.
Sorry to hear about your friend Goodbook. Magnolia soulangea is a beautiful tree. Planting a tree is such a great way to remember some one.
><>
upload_2017-3-4_16-48-4.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith