Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hooray a gardening forum! I will ask the mods to move all my gardening threads here. but to start with lets sow some seeds..remember God started it all in the Garden of Eden which he gave to man to dress and keep. Genesis 2:15

Lets do some plant identification.
Name your favourite tree(s) and say why.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like oaks and willows. They're lovely to sit under in the summer, play around and climb, and I've used their leaves in countless art and craft projects.
Willows are so graceful esp lakeside or stream side and heard you can use their branches for making obelisks etc and also that they make other plants grow so you don't need to have rooting hormone, just use 'willow water'.

Oaks are quintessential English tree. Have you seen the famous one in Sherwood forest the one Robin Hood and his merry men hid out in?

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like conifer trees and bushes in general, I like the way they smell but the dead/dried material is also great for tinder and kindling.

I've read that white birch is also great for this, but have never had the opportunity to test it out.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Big ol' ancient and gnarly trees (amongst others)
Olive tree?
They can last for ages and they grow gnarly. Apparently the olive trees are still there in the garden of gesthemane where Jesus prayed, also the Mount of Olives.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like conifer trees and bushes in general, I like the way they smell but the dead/dried material is also great for tinder and kindling.

I've read that white birch is also great for this, but have never had the opportunity to test it out.
Do you live in a temperate climate turtleanne? I love the smell of cedar.

White Birch has lovely bark.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you live in a temperate climate turtleanne? I love the smell of cedar.

White Birch has lovely bark.

I live in Michigan, and I agree that cedar smells really good, I have some cedar wood oil among my oils collection. Cedar, lavender and patchouli are among my favorites.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I live in Michigan, and I agree that cedar smells really good, I have some cedar wood oil among my oils collection. Cedar, lavender and patchouli are among my favorites.
I must confess that silver birch is among my favorite of trees. It seems to thrive in various countries with northern climates that I have been to.

Regarding cedar, it's certainly a majestic tree, mentioned in the Bible; and it is featured on the flag of Lebanon.

wikipedia

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will start first...

My favourite tree at present is the tangelo tree as its bearing much juicy fruit! Its leaves are evergreen and quite fragrant and its also a good shade tree I have put my picnic table underneath.
So where does the tangelo tree come from? is it native to Aus/NZ?

I find the Norfolk Pine interesting; something to do with Norfolk Island, right?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So where does the tangelo tree come from? is it native to Aus/NZ?

I find the Norfolk Pine interesting; something to do with Norfolk Island, right?

Citrus trees originate from asia...
Tangelo is a cross between grapefruit and tangerine. Its a hybrid from america..where citrus is grown for export esp in sunny california.

Norfolk pines grow huge and are a striking sight, they are landmark trees. Im not sure if they are orignally from norfolk island though!

Native to nz favourites are ponga tree fern, kowhai, manuka, and pohutakawa. Pohutakawas are known as nz christmas trees as they bloom red in december.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Citrus trees originate from asia...
Tangelo is a cross between grapefruit and tangerine. Its a hybrid from america..where citrus is grown for export esp in sunny california.

Norfolk pines grow huge and are a striking sight, they are landmark trees. Im not sure if they are orignally from norfolk island though!

Native to nz favourites are ponga tree fern, kowhai, manuka, and pohutakawa. Pohutakawas are known as nz christmas trees as they bloom red in december.
New Zealand seems to have some remarkable native flora and fauna. I've seen the ferns which you mention on logos representative of New Zealand.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
New Zealand seems to have some remarkable native flora and fauna. I've seen the ferns which you mention on logos representative of New Zealand.
Well I was just thinking yesterday about this red maple tree my brothers planted in my front yard. Which reminds me of Canada. But I dont know how you would get maple syrup from it. Its not really cold enough here!

The only thing with maple trees is you can really plant anything underneath them...as their roots are thick and thirsty. I do have bulbs though.

They planted them for the colour I suppose, but probably wouldnt have been my first choice of tree (for a suburban garden)

I love magnolia for the flowers. Thats another tree I have planted.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If we changed our nz flag we were going to have a fern frond on it. It was a huge deal to change the flag but it ended up staying the same cos of the expense of doing it.

Canadians love their flags! Have a cousin in canada, sent us photo, they standing proudly in front of the canadian flag. And they all dressed in red. We dont really do that here lol.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If we changed our nz flag we were going to have a fern frond on it. It was a huge deal to change the flag but it ended up staying the same cos of the expense of doing it.

Canadians love their flags! Have a cousin in canada, sent us photo, they standing proudly in front of the canadian flag. And they all dressed in red. We dont really do that here lol.
Interestingly, the Maple Leaf flag was not used until 1965.

Actually, the maple leaf is also a symbol used in a number of New England states. The Canadian version is stylized in a particular way, though.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
New England is famous for its autumn or fall colours.

Its interesting there are japansese maples and then theres american and european maples, quite different from each other but spectacular colours come autumn.

However decidous trees arent always the best choice for suburban gardens!

Upvote 0