WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
And WannaWitness, oh yes, Amy Grant back then helped me in ways I can't explain, but I'm grateful.

~ Carolyn

I can't explain it, either, as I was only a little girl. All I remember is getting my first taste of CCM from that concert and listening to her albums. I'm also old enough to remember the time when there was a lot of controversy and criticism surrounding her (as well as other popular CCM artists) when it came to such issues as "crossing over", and I have a book about her which said how she was accused of being "provocative" (like, what's so immodest about a loose-fitting leopard spotted blazer and black slacks?) and "copying Madonna" (when the only thing they really have in common are being close in age - they're two years apart - and both sang the pop music of the era, in this case, the '80s; other than that, I do not see where the two women were anything alike). And then there were others, on the other end of the spectrum, who viewed Amy as a goody-two shoes because her lyrics were different (that is, singing wholesome songs, even when the lyrics weren't blatantly Christian). I don't know; the whole thing was just crazy and confusing.

But I liked her then, and I still like her now.

One of my favorites:

Find A Way ~ Amy Grant 【HD video】✿⊱╮✿⊱✿⊱╮ - YouTube

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't explain it, either, as I was only a little girl. All I remember is getting my first taste of CCM from that concert and listening to her albums. I'm also old enough to remember the time when there was a lot of controversy and criticism surrounding her (as well as other popular CCM artists) when it came to such issues as "crossing over", and I have a book about her which said how she was accused of being "provocative" (like, what's so immodest about a loose-fitting leopard spotted blazer and black slacks?) and "copying Madonna" (when the only thing they really have in common are being close in age - they're two years apart - and both sang the pop music of the era, in this case, the '80s; other than that, I do not see where the two women were anything alike). And then there were others, on the other end of the spectrum, who viewed Amy as a goody-two shoes because her lyrics were different (that is, singing wholesome songs, even when the lyrics weren't blatantly Christian). I don't know; the whole thing was just crazy and confusing.

One of my favorites:

Well cliff Richards has been there for 50 years plus and he has seen through the beatles and stones and is still going. He is attributed with being one of the first artists to bring rock and roll to Britain. He became a Christian in 1964 and has never wavered. While other artists we living the sex, drugs and rock n roll life he was plodding along with his own style. he has lasted and proved you dont have to live that life to be successful.

Another christian artist who was ridiculed by both the church and main stream is Larry Norman. He was one of the first christian music artists i listened to and his music hit home for me. He was a bit out there but his message was the same and through all the hype he was still praising Jesus and bringing the message to many.

Larry Norman - Only Visiting This Planet - Why Don't You Look Into Jesus - YouTube

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Well cliff Richards has been there for 50 years plus and he has seen through the beatles and stones and is still going. He is attributed with being one of the first artists to bring rock and roll to Britain. He became a Christian in 1964 and has never wavered. While other artists we living the sex, drugs and rock n roll life he was plodding along with his own style. he has lasted and proved you dont have to live that life to be successful.

Another christian artist who was ridiculed by both the church and main stream is Larry Norman. He was one of the first christian music artists i listened to and his music hit home for me. He was a bit out there but his message was the same and through all the hype he was still praising Jesus and bringing the message to many.

Larry Norman - Only Visiting This Planet - Why Don't You Look Into Jesus - YouTube

Thanks for the interesting information. He has a powerful message, too. :)

Upvote 0

ewells36

Nov 11, 2013
Lansing, Michigan
✟15,608.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the interesting information. He has a powerful message, too. :)

There is actually a very good documentary about Larry Norman. Its called Fallen Angel: The Outlaw Larry Norman. In this documentary they interview people that were close to Larry Norman and they also talk about his failings as a Christian because a lot of people held him up to a very high standard and people sometime fail to realize that we all have issues, struggles, etc and are not perfect and make mistakes in life but through Christ we are victorious. Even Larry Norman was fallen and the documentary deals with the good about him and his ministry, etc and it also deals with the bad stuff as well. Pretty balanced documentary and good :)

Here is the trailer for it. It came out a few years back but its worth the watch and buy

Larry Norman - FALLEN ANGEL TRAILER - YouTube

You can purchase it here: Fallen Angel - The Film

And yeah, thats a great song - Why Dont You Look Into Jesus. All of his albums are great actually. Have you heard Holy Soldiers version of Why Dont You Look Into Jesus. If you havent, below will be the song. This was the best version I saw on YouTube. There are subtitles on the video, they are spanish, but obviously the song is in english. Hope you do enjoy this if you havent heard it

Holy Soldier - Why Don't You Look Into Jesus? LEGENDADO - YouTube

Christ is everything. He is alive in me today

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is actually a very good documentary about Larry Norman. Its called Fallen Angel: The Outlaw Larry Norman. In this documentary they interview people that were close to Larry Norman and they also talk about his failings as a Christian because a lot of people held him up to a very high standard and people sometime fail to realize that we all have issues, struggles, etc and are not perfect and make mistakes in life but through Christ we are victorious. Even Larry Norman was fallen and the documentary deals with the good about him and his ministry, etc and it also deals with the bad stuff as well. Pretty balanced documentary and good :)

Here is the trailer for it. It came out a few years back but its worth the watch and buy

Larry Norman - FALLEN ANGEL TRAILER - YouTube

You can purchase it here: Fallen Angel - The Film

And yeah, thats a great song - Why Dont You Look Into Jesus. All of his albums are great actually. Have you heard Holy Soldiers version of Why Dont You Look Into Jesus. If you havent, below will be the song. This was the best version I saw on YouTube. There are subtitles on the video, they are spanish, but obviously the song is in english. Hope you do enjoy this if you havent heard it

Holy Soldier - Why Don't You Look Into Jesus? LEGENDADO - YouTube

Christ is everything. He is alive in me today

Another great version of this song, thank you.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paddy Kelly No Fuzz, No Buzz, Back To Rock'n - YouTube

deep down the ocean is where I'm going
away from the surface that evil has woven
cause believing lies
is like eating rotten apples
fighting through the jungle in this world
of wackos
blown by the wind or taken
by the current and being hurried
to be burried is what you inherit
grow up with mass media manipulation
perverting present and future generations
gotta be as wise as
a snake
and gentle as a dove
I'd rather be a manacay than a fake
as long as I work out of love
alive for heaven's sake but just believing is not enough
no fuzz, no buzz, back
to rock'n'roll
no fuzz, no buzz, back
to rock'n'roll
no fuzz, no buzz, back
to rock'n'roll songs
if I'm not in the solution I'm in the problem
just one man's opinion amongst 6 billion
politically incorrect even if that nails me dead
'cause someone's gotta stop... to break the silence
gotta be as wise as...
no fuzz, no buzz, back...
live what you preach the fruits of this tree
is what we will see
live what you preach keep your spirit free
from the thorns and the weeds
no fuzz, no buzz, back
to rock'n'roll...
no fuzz, no buzz, back
to rock'n'roll...

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well here you go all - My list :) So sit back, relax and enjoy

Sometime Sunday
Danielson Family
Under Midnight
Rose
Mortal
Fold Zandura
Jyradelix
Scott Blackwell
AJ Mora
World Wide Message Tribe
Sozo
Christafari
Circle Of Dust/Celldweller
Argyle Park/AP2
Stavesacre
Project 86
Rackets and Drapes
Killed By Cain
Bride
Deliverance
Neon Horse
Joy Electric
Dance House Children
Starflyer 59
Six Feet Deep
Focused
MxPx
Stria
These Five Down
Sent By Ravens
They Will Fall
Klank
Five Iron Frenzy
The O.C. Supertones
Code Of Ethics
Cloud2ground
Day Of Fire
Eli
Deitiphobia
Dakota Motor Co.
Die Happy
Tourniquet
EDL
Poor Old Lu
Grave Robber
Grammatrain
Morella's Forest
Puller
Wish For Eden
Holy Soldier
Stryper
Larry Norman
The Normals
Benjamin Gate
Love and Death
Lust Control
Miss Angie
Mindbender
Virus
Prophecy Of Panic
Prodigal Sons
Plankeye
Seven Day Jesus
Raving Loonatics
Rhythmsaints
Sleeping Giant
Living Sacrifice
Spoken
Squad Five-O
The Dingees
The Prayer Chain
The Insyderz
The W's
Tragedy Ann
Travail
twothirtyeight
Red
Skillet
We As Human
XL and DBD
Whitecross
Agraceful
Zao
As I Lay Dying
The Echoing Green

That is my list. Its not complete but those are just some of the bands I do like and they are all Christian bands - just in case anyone was wondering, etc. Some of these bands are no longer together but still made my list for my favorite bands

Christ Is Everything! He is alive in me today

Eric W

Wow thanks there are a lot to choose from. Many i have never heard so i will check some of them out. I like it when i can discover new music and listen to new sounds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

One of my favorites:

Thats how its suppose to be. If your causing people to sit up and take notice and your message is about God then thats all you can do. On the one side you have the secular people saying its to straight and on the other the religious hypocrites saying its wrong. But in the end its all about Praising God isn't it. Larry Norman was the same. Its hard for Christian music to get into the main stream but thats exactly where it needs to be. No sense preaching to the converted when the ones that need the message are the ones that think its uncool.

Just so long as the message isn't lost in the music and it still gets across. But then there's nothing wrong with music anyway, it can be inspiring without lyrics and it can be moving without singing about God and just singing about life or maybe even something fun or silly. Its the lyrics that are negative and the video pictures often send out messages that are causing people to go astray. I dont mind some of the rapping that sings about not taking drugs and that but some of the other stuff really says nothing or gives a bad message.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Thats how its suppose to be. If your causing people to sit up and take notice and your message is about God then thats all you can do. On the one side you have the secular people saying its to straight and on the other the religious hypocrites saying its wrong. But in the end its all about Praising God isn't it. Larry Norman was the same. Its hard for Christian music to get into the main stream but thats exactly where it needs to be. No sense preaching to the converted when the ones that need the message are the ones that think its uncool.

Just so long as the message isn't lost in the music and it still gets across. But then there's nothing wrong with music anyway, it can be inspiring without lyrics and it can be moving without singing about God and just singing about life or maybe even something fun or silly. Its the lyrics that are negative and the video pictures often send out messages that are causing people to go astray. I dont mind some of the rapping that sings about not taking drugs and that but some of the other stuff really says nothing or gives a bad message.

I completely agree. Along with Christian/inspirational music with explicitly God-centered/Biblical lyrics, I admit I also listen to some mainstream music provided it is not against Biblical principles. Instrumentals with no lyrics fit this criteria, as well as various songs whose lyrics promote morals (such as friendship, unity, nature, tasteful love songs, and everyday life in general), and innocent novelty songs that serve only to bring a smile and provide an atmosphere of good clean fun to the listener (Buckner & Garcia's Pacman Fever comes to mind). I only liken such music to mainstream TV programming and movies that are moral (such as Little House on the Prairie, The Brady Bunch, Full House, or any Shirley Temple movie), or reading books/periodicals with like content. I do understand people are going to have different convictions on such things, and that's fine. But that's what makes us all unique, and what a dull world this would be if we all thought the same.

Anyway, I don't want to drift too far off topic, so, here is another classic I like (and one of those oft-hated "crossovers"):

Michael W. Smith - Place In This World *original music video* - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I completely agree. Along with Christian/inspirational music with explicitly God-centered/Biblical lyrics, I admit I also listen to some mainstream music provided it is not against Biblical principles. Instrumentals with no lyrics fit this criteria, as well as various songs whose lyrics promote morals (such as friendship, unity, nature, tasteful love songs, and everyday life in general), and innocent novelty songs that serve only to bring a smile and provide an atmosphere of good clean fun to the listener (Buckner & Garcia's Pacman Fever comes to mind). I only liken such music to mainstream TV programming and movies that are moral (such as Little House on the Prairie, The Brady Bunch, Full House, or any Shirley Temple movie), or reading books/periodicals with like content. I do understand people are going to have different convictions on such things, and that's fine. But that's what makes us all unique, and what a dull world this would be if we all thought the same.

Anyway, I don't want to drift too far off topic, so, here is another classic I like (and one of those oft-hated "crossovers"):

Michael W. Smith - Place In This World *original music video* - YouTube

Hes good as well, he reminds me of Randy Stonehill a bit.

Mercy me is a band i discovered by accident when looking for some fun songs. They are quite good IMO and have some great christian music. But they have a bit of fun with making cover versions of songs. It shows their sense of humor and their musical talent as well. I'll include one of their proper tunes and one they have a bit of fun with. You can check out their other fun ones they do covers of songs of Beatles, Michael Jackson and many others all in the name of having fun.

MercyMe - "The Hurt & The Healer" Official Music Video - YouTube

Cover Tune Grab Bag - "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" - YouTube

Cover Tune Grab Bag - "Baby" - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

XB3LI3V3RX

Animal Lover
May 8, 2013
Tennessee
✟16,341.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Demon Hunter was the first metal band I ever heard and I was hooked after that. I've expanded my list of bands now, but they're always going to be my favorite. They honestly helped me to stay on my path with Christ in rough times because I would hear their music and relate it to my life or the situation and I would get my Bible back out and realize these obstacles in my life were nothing compared to God's greatness.

Upvote 0

I am e0

Jul 25, 2014
✟7,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Casting Crowns is an awesome band. Mercy Me is another.
Also for a laugh Apologetix, a christian parody groip.

great bands! my fav is Lecrae...

im confused by your signature....maybe you can clear it up for me?
(sorry i cannot send messages yet...)

1peter416
However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.

thats from NIV and the KJ

Upvote 0