inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you go to your Home Page or Visitor's Page, or whatever you call it, upper left, first link says User CP then Blogs Prayers Jobs... (left to right)

Click on User CP

and scroll, look to the right and you will see your Reps, how many, and the comment:

As you stay here, if you do--and welcome!--you get Reps for Reputation, which means forum members leave a comment--usually something positive or just saying hi or something, and depending on the Reputation of the one who leaves you Reps, you get a few or a whole lot.

I am a Senior Veteran, so as I understand it, that is why your Reps score went way up when I thanked you.

Originally, Reps (Reputation Remarks) were for leaving positive or negative 'feedback' kinds of comments--a long, long time ago, I guess, but now it's mainly for sorta neutral or 'good going', thanks, that sort of thing.

I had no idea what they were when I started... and I never knew to 'look' by clicking User CP and scrolling, looking at the right side of the page to see what people said:

It takes a while to find out stuff, but if you ever have a question I can answer, visit and ask me; and also, somewhere you can ask a Moderator: Visit and look at my Friends--I have some moderator and super moderators, I can look around and see where to tell you to go ask a question:

This site is HUGE and complicated, and awesome, and well, complex :)

Anyway, really cool music by that group, I never would have found 'em on my own, so that was a lovely gift from you.

~ Carolyn

Thanks for the info and i will check it out. I am fairly new and realize it will take some time. It seems like a good and fun place to come and discuss topics with others and make new friends.

Yeah I would not of found them if it wasn't for my friend accidentally leaving the tape behind. As they were never really in the mainstream music outside Europe not many people had heard of them. Considering they were massive and matched the Beatles in popularity at one stage. It was great to find a group that i had never heard of and discover their story. probably most of their music you find as a group is a bit outdated now some of the more modern solo stuff is great. Paddy kelly is an inspiration and his story was very interesting. He had experienced the highs of stardom and now he helps many and his music gives a great message of gods love.

Upvote 0

GodsGirlToday61

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2013
✟24,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the info and i will check it out. I am fairly new and realize it will take some time. It seems like a good and fun place to come and discuss topics with others and make new friends.

Yeah I would not of found them if it wasn't for my friend accidentally leaving the tape behind. As they were never really in the mainstream music outside Europe not many people had heard of them. Considering they were massive and matched the Beatles in popularity at one stage. It was great to find a group that i had never heard of and discover their story. probably most of their music you find as a group is a bit outdated now some of the more modern solo stuff is great. Paddy kelly is an inspiration and his story was very interesting. He had experienced the highs of stardom and now he helps many and his music gives a great message of gods love.

SteveVW

You ever watch the film, Tender Mercies (Robert Duvall)?

Something similar, enriching between Paddy Kelly--what you shared, and the film/plot of Tender Mercies, a really awesome/honest film.

~ Carolyn

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

SteveVW

You ever watch the film, Tender Mercies (Robert Duvall)?

Something similar, enriching between Paddy Kelly--what you shared, and the film/plot of Tender Mercies, a really awesome/honest film.

~ Carolyn

Yes i recall watching it but it must have been near to when it came out. I like Robert duvall he seems like a down to earth type of bloke. I will have to watch it again to refresh my memory but i do remember the film touched me.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Carman, Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Newsboys, Petra (particularly the classic works), Jaci Velasquez.... just to name a mere few!

I also enjoy a lot of the old-school (by "old-school", I'm talking about '80s/early '90s) Christian rap. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Carman, Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Newsboys, Petra (particularly the classic works), Jaci Velasquez.... just to name a mere few!

I also enjoy a lot of the old-school (by "old-school", I'm talking about '80s/early '90s) Christian rap. :)

I remember going to an Amy grant concert in Sydney. I also remember going to a Barry McGuire one and also Larry Norman concert as well. I liked Larry Norman as he was the first Christian music i got into and i could relate to a lot of his songs. I also like petra and from memory i aslo listened to Leon Patillo, Phil Keaggy who was a fantastic guitarist, Kieth Green and Randy Stonehill.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I remember going to an Amy grant concert in Sydney. I also remember going to a Barry McGuire one and also Larry Norman concert as well. I liked Larry Norman as he was the first Christian music i got into and i could relate to a lot of his songs. I also like petra and from memory i aslo listened to Leon Patillo, Phil Keaggy who was a fantastic guitarist, Kieth Green and Randy Stonehill.

Amy Grant is credited for being my first real influence in the realm of Christian music. I honestly didn't know there was such a thing as "CCM" until I discovered her music when I was nearing my teens", and hers having been the first Christian concert I attended as a kid (I believe it was the Unguarded tour). From that time on, I started to build a huge collection of Christian music.

I actually enjoy a variety of music, Christian and otherwise (but I try to take care that the non-Christian music I listen to is not immoral or against Biblical principles). It is actually hard for me these days to sit and listen to one style straight through, and I prefer my music mixed. Just me, I guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Oh, and I like ApologetiX. Their specialty is reworking several popular tunes, past and present, and changing the lyrics of the original tunes giving them a Biblical twist. Their ministry is something to be appreciated, at least in my opinion. :)
:
ApologetiX_2009.jpg

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amy Grant is credited for being my first real influence in the realm of Christian music. I honestly didn't know there was such a thing as "CCM" until I discovered her music when I was nearing my teens", and hers having been the first Christian concert I attended as a kid (I believe it was the Unguarded tour). From that time on, I started to build a huge collection of Christian music.

I actually enjoy a variety of music, Christian and otherwise (but I try to take care that the non-Christian music I listen to is not immoral or against Biblical principles). It is actually hard for me these days to sit and listen to one style straight through, and I prefer my music mixed. Just me, I guess.

Lyrics can have a great impact on people. Music itself can have an influence, just the sound of a violin playing can be hauntingly beautiful and invoke feelings.

I play the guitar and write songs myself. Lately my songs have reflected a more spiritual meaning. I try to related the day to day realities of life and how gods love is the way.

To many songs have little meaning and can have a negative influence on the message their portray. I like some of the artists that have come from the talent shows. Guy Sebastian who won our first Australian idol back a few years ago is a christian and even though he has broken into the main stream if you listen to his songs they have a strong message.

Thats why i like Paddy Kelly as i followed him when he was a non christian and watch as his life changed and now his music reflects Gods love.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Lyrics can have a great impact on people. Music itself can have an influence, just the sound of a violin playing can be hauntingly beautiful and invoke feelings.

I play the guitar and write songs myself. Lately my songs have reflected a more spiritual meaning. I try to related the day to day realities of life and how gods love is the way.

To many songs have little meaning and can have a negative influence on the message their portray. I like some of the artists that have come from the talent shows. Guy Sebastian who won our first Australian idol back a few years ago is a christian and even though he has broken into the main stream if you listen to his songs they have a strong message.

Thats why i like Paddy Kelly as i followed him when he was a non christian and watch as his life changed and now his music reflects Gods love.

I see what you're saying, too. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGirlToday61

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2013
✟24,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
SteveVW

What you said about watching the growth and influence of God in Paddy Kelly's life and comparing it to before he got saved? Reminds me of Steve Earle:

Wow, I love some of his earlier songs, because he and I share some of the same (rebellious-rooted) southern United States roots, so I listen to his Copperhead Road, Hillbilly Highway, Guitar Town... for instance, then follow them up with 'God is God', and geez (18 years of sobriety, clean time), he's a different man, but just as honest...

And your comment about the lyrics and music--or what I got from it? An example is the song, Cocaine by Eric Clapton: It sounds awesome, really upbeat, but listen to the words and that message is not good in any way...

Amy Grant's influence in the early 80s, with her album Straight Ahead and the song, Thy Word (from the Psalm) on that album (a traffic light on the cover of the album) is my equivalent of Shawnavery, you and Michael W. Smith as far as I had been back-slid and she is the one (and Mahalia Jackson, too) who pulled me back from the abyss with Thy Word and others from that album. And WannaWitness, oh yes, Amy Grant back then helped me in ways I can't explain, but I'm grateful.

~ Carolyn

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
SteveVW

What you said about watching the growth and influence of God in Paddy Kelly's life and comparing it to before he got saved? Reminds me of Steve Earle:

Wow, I love some of his earlier songs, because he and I share some of the same (rebellious-rooted) southern United States roots, so I listen to his Copperhead Road, Hillbilly Highway, Guitar Town... for instance, then follow them up with 'God is God', and geez (18 years of sobriety, clean time), he's a different man, but just as honest...

And your comment about the lyrics and music--or what I got from it? An example is the song, Cocaine by Eric Clapton: It sounds awesome, really upbeat, but listen to the words and that message is not good in any way...

Amy Grant's influence in the early 80s, with her album Straight Ahead and the song, Thy Word (from the Psalm) on that album (a traffic light on the cover of the album) is my equivalent of Shawnavery, you and Michael W. Smith as far as I had been back-slid and she is the one (and Mahalia Jackson, too) who pulled me back from the abyss with Thy Word and others from that album. And WannaWitness, oh yes, Amy Grant back then helped me in ways I can't explain, but I'm grateful.

~ Carolyn

Well you've just filled me in with Steve Earl as i didn't realize he has become a Christian. I never really got into his music though i love copperhead road. I have listened to some of his music and i like his style. As i play the Guitar and write songs myself i see both sides of music.

I will learn and play the instrument and try to get better and my proficiency is reflected in the sounds that come from my guitar. Just playing an instrument in itself is great in that you are making a sound that hopefully is pleasing to the ear. The words are important a they can tell a story and portray a message. As i write songs i know a bit about the process.

The Beatles had a few songs where the words really meant nothing to them but their fans turned it into other meanings that they didn't intend. They were still hits as it was the overall sound they put out and that time in history with their new style.

I also went through some hard times when i was younger and this is reflected in my music. I think there needs to be more importance placed on the words in a song. If you listen to some nowadays they are not saying anything or are giving a negative message. This is important as the young are so influenced by today's music.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0