Fake Bibles DO Teach False Doctrine

brandplucked

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2004
✟4,973.00
Faith
Christian
“Fake Bible Versions DO teach false doctrines” -

#1. Can God be deceived? The NASB says that the children of Israel deceived God. Not just "tried to deceive" or "thought they had deceived" but deceived Him.
Eze14:9; Ps 78:36deceive - Another King James Bible Believer

#2. Did the Son of God have an "origin from ancient times" or "his goings forth are from everlasting"? Did He have a beginning or is He eternal?
Micah 5:2 "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; WHOSE GOINGS FORTH have been of old, FROM EVERLASTING."

Micah 5:2 - “The NIV - whose ORIGINS are from of old, FROM ANCIENT TIMES."

“Origin from ancient times” - NIV, RSV, ESV, NET, Holman, Jehovah Witness version, more recent Catholic versions
Micah 5:2,Heb2:11 origin - Another King James Bible Believer

#3. Who controls the world, God or Satan? Several modern fake bibles teach it is Satan -

1 John 5:19 “And we know that we are of God, and the whole world LIETH IN WICKEDNESS.” Wycliffe, Coverdale, Bishops’ Bible, Geneva Bible, Youngs, Third Millenium Bible

The NIV says: "The whole world is UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE EVIL ONE." NASB, ESV, ISV, Holman, Catholic St. Joseph, NET

Satan or God controls? - Another King James Bible Believer

#4. Is your righteousness before God the fine linen of the righteousness of Christ, or your "righteous deeds" as several fake bibles and the modern Catholic versions teach?

Revelation 19:8 - “And to her (the Bride of Christ) was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white; FOR THE FINE LINEN IS THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF SAINTS."

Revelation 19:8 NKJV, NIV, NASB, ESV, NET, Catholic versions - “for the fine linen is THE RIGHTEOUS ACTS of the saints.”
Rev. 19:8 fine linen - Another King James Bible Believer

#5.Can man "speed up" the coming of the day of God's judgment, or is it already marked by God on the calendar to the day and month?

2 Peter 3:12 KJB - "Looking for and HASTING UNTO the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat.”

ESV - "Waiting for and HASTENING the coming of the day of God"
NIV - “as you look forward to the day of God and SPEED ITS COMING.”
2Peter3:12hastingunto - Another King James Bible Believer

# 6. Do ghosts, or the departed spirits of the human dead exist? Modern Versions say they do.
Ghosts? - Another King James Bible Believer

#7. Lucifer or morning star? Isaiah 14:12 - "How art thou fallen from heaven, O LUCIFER, son of the morning!

LUCIFER - Wycliffe 1395, Coverdale's 1535, the Great Bible 1540, Matthew's Bible 1549, Bishop's Bible 1568, Douay-Rheims 1582, Geneva Bible 1599, Darby, NKJV 1982

Revelation 22:16 - “I Jesus...am the bright and MORNING STAR.”
Isaiah 14:12 - "How you have fallen from heaven, O MORNING STAR.”
MORNING STAR - NIV, NASB, Holman Standard, RSV, ESV, NET, Catholic St. Joseph NAB, New Jerusalem bible.

Lucifer or Morning Star? - Another King James Bible Believer

#8. Fornication or Immorality?1 Corinthians s 6:18 - "Flee FORNICATION. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth FORNICATION sinneth against his own body."

1 Corinthians 6:18 "Flee from SEXUAL IMMORALITY. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the SEXUALLY IMMORAL PERSON sins against his own body."

IMMORALITY = However you want to define it. What’s immoral for you may not be immoral for me. NIV, NASB, ESV, RSV, NET, Catholic New Jerusalem bible
fornication/immoral - Another King James Bible Believer

#9. Rejoice or Be Proud? Are Pride and Boasting Christian virtues?Philippians 2:16 “Holding forth the word of life; that I MAY REJOICE in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.”

Philippians 2:16 NIV - "in order that I MAY BOAST in the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."ESV "THAT I MAY BE PROUD that I did not run in vain"BE PROUD, BOAST, GLORY - NASB, NIV, RSV, ESV, NET, Holman

On the day of Christ, when we finally see the full glory of God Almighty, we will not be standing around boasting of our accomplishments and patting one another on the back and telling them how proud we are of them. Nobody will be boasting or proud of his personal accomplishments in the day of the Lord Jesus. Instead we will all be flat on our faces worshipping the Lamb who alone is worthy to receive praise, honour and glory
MV's Pride as Virtue - Another King James Bible Believer

#10. Heretic or A Divisive Person? According to the Modern Versions even Jesus Himself should be avoided because He was divisive; but He was not a heretic. Titus 3:10 KJB - “"A man that is an HERETIC after the first and second admonition reject; knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself."

Titus 3:10 NKJV 1982 - "Reject A DIVISIVE MAN after the first and second admonition.” A Divisive Person - NKJV, NIV, NASB, ESV, NET
Heretic or Divisive - Another King James Bible Believer

#11. Who was with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace, “the Son of God” or “a son of the gods”?

Daniel 3:25 - "and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God."
Daniel 3:25 - “and the appearance of the fourth is like a son of the gods.” “a son of the gods” - NIV, NASB, RSV, ESV, Holman, Catholic Jerusalem bible, Jehovah Witness New World Version
Dan.3:25 the Son of God - Another King James Bible Believer

#12. 2 Samuel 14:14 KJB- "Neither doth God respect any person" or
NKJV, NIV, NASB, ESV - "God does not take away life"?
2 Sam14; Luke 24 - Another King James Bible Believer

#13. "the just shall live by his FAITH" or "the just shall live by his FAITHFULNESS"?

KJB - "Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live BY HIS FAITH."

NIV 1978 and 1982 editions - "See, HE is puffed up; his desires are not upright - but the righteous will live BY HIS FAITH."

NIV 2011 edition - "See, THE ENEMY is puffed up; his desires are not upright - but the righteous PERSON will live by HIS FAITHFULNESS."

There is a world of difference between the just living by faith and the just living by his faithfulness. The first is the principle of living by the faith God has given us to believe the gospel of the grace of God in redeeming us through the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

The second - "the just shall live by his FAITHFULNESS" - is to remove the entire focus away from what Christ has done for us and to place it on ourselves, our performance and our own works.

The big theological question to ask is this - Does the just live by FAITH, meaning by what he believes about what God has done for us in Christ, or by his FAITHFULNESS, meaning how he lives?

The whole Reformation began with God opening the eyes of Martin Luther when he read the passage "The just shall live by his FAITH." He was finally freed from the heavy yoke of trying to obtain his own righteousness through the works and self merit system of the Roman Catholic Church.
Habakkuk 2:4 - Another King James Bible Believer

#14.John 7:8-10 Did Jesus lie or tell the truth? If He lied, then He sinned, and He can't be our Saviour.

KJB -"Go ye up unto this feast: I go not YET unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come. When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee. But when his brethren were gone up, THEN went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret."

ESV, NIV 2011 edition, NASB - "You go to the feast. I AM NOT GOING up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come. After saying this he remained in Galilee. But after his brothers had gone up to the feast, THEN HE ALSO WENT UP, not publicly but in private." (ESV)
John 7:8 Did Jesus lie? - Another King James Bible Believer

#15. KJB - Acts 13:33 and Psalms 2:7 "Thou are my Son, THIS DAY HAVE I BEGOTTEN THEE."

NIV, NET - "You are my son; TODAY I HAVE BECOME YOUR FATHER."
In the true Bible Acts 13:33 speaks of the day the Son of God was raised from the dead and became the firstborn from the dead (Col. 1:18) and the first begotten of the dead (Rev. 1:5).

The fake bibles teach that the was a time when God became the Father of the Son, and thus the Son is not from everlasting to everlasting.

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." Luke 8:8

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,318.00
Faith
Baptist
#11. Who was with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace, “the Son of God” or “a son of the gods”?

Daniel 3:25 - “and the appearance of the fourth is like a son of the gods.” “a son of the gods” - NIV, NASB, RSV, ESV, Holman, Catholic Jerusalem bible, Jehovah Witness New World Version

Thank you for bringing to the attention of your readers a very serious problem found in the KJV. The translators too often gave a “translation” of what they wished the inspired word of God had said –when, in fact, it had not! Daniel 2:4b-7:28 was written in Aramaic, and the literal translation is “a son of the gods.”* The “translation” found in the KJV is not only an example of their wishful thinking—it is also an example of their dishonesty!

*The English phrase, “a son of the gods,” is a translation of the Aramaic, bar-elahin. Bar is a singular noun meaning “son,” and is the equivalent of the Hebrew ben. Elahin is a masculine plural noun, meaning “gods.” The singular form is elah (when used with the definite article, it is elaha). Although the Hebrew equivalent of elahin is elohimm, and elohimm is used in the Old Testament for “God,” in the Aramaic portions of the OT, the Aramaic plural form elahin is used exclusively of false gods.

Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

#1. Can God be deceived? The NASB says that the children of Israel deceived God. Not just "tried to deceive" or "thought they had deceived" but deceived Him.

#2. Did the Son of God have an "origin from ancient times" or "his goings forth are from everlasting"? Did He have a beginning or is He eternal?
Micah 5:2 "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; WHOSE GOINGS FORTH have been of old, FROM EVERLASTING."

Micah 5:2 - “The NIV - whose ORIGINS are from of old, FROM ANCIENT TIMES."

“Origin from ancient times” - NIV, RSV, ESV, NET, Holman, Jehovah Witness version, more recent Catholic versions
Micah 5:2,Heb2:11 origin - Another King James Bible Believer

#3. Who controls the world, God or Satan? Several modern fake bibles teach it is Satan -

1 John 5:19 “And we know that we are of God, and the whole world LIETH IN WICKEDNESS.” Wycliffe, Coverdale, Bishops’ Bible, Geneva Bible, Youngs, Third Millenium Bible

The NIV says: "The whole world is UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE EVIL ONE." NASB, ESV, ISV, Holman, Catholic St. Joseph, NET

Satan or God controls? - Another King James Bible Believer

#4. Is your righteousness before God the fine linen of the righteousness of Christ, or your "righteous deeds" as several fake bibles and the modern Catholic versions teach?

Revelation 19:8 - “And to her (the Bride of Christ) was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white; FOR THE FINE LINEN IS THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF SAINTS."

Revelation 19:8 NKJV, NIV, NASB, ESV, NET, Catholic versions - “for the fine linen is THE RIGHTEOUS ACTS of the saints.”
Rev. 19:8 fine linen - Another King James Bible Believer

#5.Can man "speed up" the coming of the day of God's judgment, or is it already marked by God on the calendar to the day and month?

2 Peter 3:12 KJB - "Looking for and HASTING UNTO the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat.”

ESV - "Waiting for and HASTENING the coming of the day of God"
NIV - “as you look forward to the day of God and SPEED ITS COMING.”
2Peter3:12hastingunto - Another King James Bible Believer

# 6. Do ghosts, or the departed spirits of the human dead exist? Modern Versions say they do.
Ghosts? - Another King James Bible Believer

#7. Lucifer or morning star? Isaiah 14:12 - "How art thou fallen from heaven, O LUCIFER, son of the morning!

LUCIFER - Wycliffe 1395, Coverdale's 1535, the Great Bible 1540, Matthew's Bible 1549, Bishop's Bible 1568, Douay-Rheims 1582, Geneva Bible 1599, Darby, NKJV 1982

MORNING STAR - NIV, NASB, Holman Standard, RSV, ESV, NET, Catholic St. Joseph NAB, New Jerusalem bible.

Lucifer or Morning Star? - Another King James Bible Believer

#8. Fornication or Immorality?1 Corinthians s 6:18 - "Flee FORNICATION. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth FORNICATION sinneth against his own body."

1 Corinthians 6:18 "Flee from SEXUAL IMMORALITY. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the SEXUALLY IMMORAL PERSON sins against his own body."

IMMORALITY = However you want to define it. What’s immoral for you may not be immoral for me. NIV, NASB, ESV, RSV, NET, Catholic New Jerusalem bible
fornication/immoral - Another King James Bible Believer

#9. Rejoice or Be Proud? Are Pride and Boasting Christian virtues?Philippians 2:16 “Holding forth the word of life; that I MAY REJOICE in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.”

Philippians 2:16 NIV - "in order that I MAY BOAST in the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."ESV "THAT I MAY BE PROUD that I did not run in vain"BE PROUD, BOAST, GLORY - NASB, NIV, RSV, ESV, NET, Holman

On the day of Christ, when we finally see the full glory of God Almighty, we will not be standing around boasting of our accomplishments and patting one another on the back and telling them how proud we are of them. Nobody will be boasting or proud of his personal accomplishments in the day of the Lord Jesus. Instead we will all be flat on our faces worshipping the Lamb who alone is worthy to receive praise, honour and glory
MV's Pride as Virtue - Another King James Bible Believer

#10. Heretic or A Divisive Person? According to the Modern Versions even Jesus Himself should be avoided because He was divisive; but He was not a heretic. Titus 3:10 KJB - “"A man that is an HERETIC after the first and second admonition reject; knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself."

Titus 3:10 NKJV 1982 - "Reject A DIVISIVE MAN after the first and second admonition.” A Divisive Person - NKJV, NIV, NASB, ESV, NET
Heretic or Divisive - Another King James Bible Believer

Dan.3:25 the Son of God - Another King James Bible Believer

#12. 2 Samuel 14:14 KJB- "Neither doth God respect any person" or
NKJV, NIV, NASB, ESV - "God does not take away life"?
2 Sam14; Luke 24 - Another King James Bible Believer

#13. "the just shall live by his FAITH" or "the just shall live by his FAITHFULNESS"?

KJB - "Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live BY HIS FAITH."

NIV 1978 and 1982 editions - "See, HE is puffed up; his desires are not upright - but the righteous will live BY HIS FAITH."

NIV 2011 edition - "See, THE ENEMY is puffed up; his desires are not upright - but the righteous PERSON will live by HIS FAITHFULNESS."

There is a world of difference between the just living by faith and the just living by his faithfulness. The first is the principle of living by the faith God has given us to believe the gospel of the grace of God in redeeming us through the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

The second - "the just shall live by his FAITHFULNESS" - is to remove the entire focus away from what Christ has done for us and to place it on ourselves, our performance and our own works.

The big theological question to ask is this - Does the just live by FAITH, meaning by what he believes about what God has done for us in Christ, or by his FAITHFULNESS, meaning how he lives?

The whole Reformation began with God opening the eyes of Martin Luther when he read the passage "The just shall live by his FAITH." He was finally freed from the heavy yoke of trying to obtain his own righteousness through the works and self merit system of the Roman Catholic Church.
Habakkuk 2:4 - Another King James Bible Believer

#14.John 7:8-10 Did Jesus lie or tell the truth? If He lied, then He sinned, and He can't be our Saviour.

KJB -"Go ye up unto this feast: I go not YET unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come. When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee. But when his brethren were gone up, THEN went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret."

ESV, NIV 2011 edition, NASB - "You go to the feast. I AM NOT GOING up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come. After saying this he remained in Galilee. But after his brothers had gone up to the feast, THEN HE ALSO WENT UP, not publicly but in private." (ESV)
John 7:8 Did Jesus lie? - Another King James Bible Believer

#15. KJB - Acts 13:33 and Psalms 2:7 "Thou are my Son, THIS DAY HAVE I BEGOTTEN THEE."

NIV, NET - "You are my son; TODAY I HAVE BECOME YOUR FATHER."
In the true Bible Acts 13:33 speaks of the day the Son of God was raised from the dead and became the firstborn from the dead (Col. 1:18) and the first begotten of the dead (Rev. 1:5).

The fake bibles teach that the was a time when God became the Father of the Son, and thus the Son is not from everlasting to everlasting.

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." Luke 8:8

:amen: :clap:

Great points again brandplucked. Keep your hands to the plow!

Remember Galatians 6:9 !

For 2 decades I was a huge NASB fan. Thought it was the best thing since Chocolate Ice Cream. The subtle little changes of certain words and phrases though caused me to do some checking. The way they mutilate John 1:18 reeks of a gnostic influence. {( and the ESV is even worse on John 1:18 ... they actually have multiple 'gods' ! :mad: )} Bad texts lead to bad translations.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟591,618.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
As for

[/B]

You have been told about this before and thus have no excuse. "Lucifer" is a Latin word that was carried over from the Vulgate and left in various English translations. The Vulgate in Isaiah 14:12 reads:

"quomodo cecidisti de caelo lucifer qui mane oriebaris corruisti in terram qui vulnerabas gentes"

When Jerome translated the Vulgate, he chose "lucifer" as the best Latin rendering for the Hebrew halel which word means "morning star" because of its brightness in the sky. The reference to halel is an insult, a mockery. The king of Babylon thought himself something wonderful, like God in his power and kingdom. The Hebrew Bible is correct for having halel in vs. 12, just like the MVs are not wrong or blasphemous for having "morning star" or "star of the morning" there. If the 1611 translators had translated "lucifer" into English the KJV would read "O day star" (because that is what they placed in their marginal note on vs 12, as witnessed in extant copies of original 1611 KJVs.)
0493pbk28d

Luther, in his German Bible, translated halel as "morgenstern" (i.e., "morning star") If the KJV translators had just translated "lucifer" (or halel) into English, it is likely that no one would ever have had this conversation.

Upvote 0

robycop3

Sep 16, 2014
✟107,962.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've dealt with this stuff on other sites, but Brandplucked has now brought it here, hoping to deceive someone, when indeed, HE is the deceived one here, deceived by Satan into believing one of Satan's false doctrines.

Let's deal with his horse feathers one at a time. Here's a very-obvious prevarication:

Brandplucked:

The Hebrew literally reads "son of the gods". now is that incorrect? Certainly NOT!

Let's remember why Neb had the 3 Jews tossed into the furnace to begin with - their refusal to worship Neb's idol. Neb was still thoroughly pagan.

This was part of the process by which God converted Neb into worshipping Him. the first was when Daniel was given the vision of Neb's dream and its interp. While Neb honored Daniel, he soon forgot the SOURCE - GOD - of the dream & its interp.

As a pagan, Neb would NOT have known who the Son of God is. As for the Jews, their main source of knowledge at that time was the writings of Isaiah. Thus, Neb knew the 4th Person in the furnace was a Divine Person with great power; He was keeping the 3 Jews from burning as well as Himself, but neb had no idea who He was. Thus, by his pagan beliefs, Neb believed it was a "son of the gods" whom he was observing.

Thus, newer Bibles have the CORRECT reading, the literal interp of the Hebrew with "son of the gods".

More refuting of Brandplucked's points to come as I check back on some old posts on other sites.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,318.00
Faith
Baptist
For 2 decades I was a huge NASB fan. Thought it was the best thing since Chocolate Ice Cream. The subtle little changes of certain words and phrases though caused me to do some checking. The way they mutilate John 1:18 reeks of a gnostic influence. {( and the ESV is even worse on John 1:18 ... they actually have multiple 'gods' ! :mad: )} Bad texts lead to bad translations.

There are two approaches to the study of John 1:18:

Approach #1. Assume that the KJV expresses in English the concepts that John attempted to expressed in Greek.

Approach #2. Study the textual history of this passage to determine the most likely original Greek text, and then thoroughly study that Greek text using the best Greek grammars and lexicons and the best commentaries on the Greek text of the Gospel According to John that summarize and cite the most recently published research pertinent to the text. This research will include, among other issues, studies of John’s vocabulary and how he uses Greek words and phrases.

Determining the most likely original Greek text will include analyzing the five major textual variants—all five of which have early manuscript support, and the quality of those manuscripts. Scholars who have invested much of their lives in the study of the textual history of the Greek New Testament write that they are almost certain which of the five major variants is the original— μονογενὴς θεὸς.

μονογενὴς θεὸς. What concept is John attempting to express using these words? F. F. Bruce, in his commentary on John, translates, “‘God-only begotten,’ or ‘the only begotten, (himself) God.’” Raymond E. Brown, in his commentary on John, translates, “God the only Son.” J. H. Bernard, in his commentary on John in the I.C.C. series, translates verse 18,

“‘God hath no man seen at any time:
The Only-Begotten, who is God, who dwells in the Father’s bosom,
This is he who revealed God.’”

I do not believe that I have ever seen a better translation of John 1:18 than Bernard’s! It expressly testifies to the deity of Christ (which the KJV does NOT do!), and it does so literally and elegantly in English that even a child can understand.

The NASB expresses the same thing, but somewhat crudely:

John 1:18. No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained {Him.} (NASB, 1995)

The ESV tries to express the same thing, but does a terrible job of it:

John 1:18. No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known. (ESV)

The NRSV, however, does a good job:

John 1:18 No one has ever seen God. It is God the only Son, who is close to the Father's heart, who has made him known. (NRSV)

The way they mutilate John 1:18 reeks of a gnostic influence

There is no truth in this statement—it is nothing but effluvium of KJOism.

the ESV is even worse on John 1:18 ... they actually have multiple 'gods' !

More effluvium of KJOism!

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,334.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are no fake Bibles.
There are Bibles which differ from the KJV so, because you believe the KJV is the only valid translation and infallible, you claim it is all the others which are at fault and untrue. But that's not the case.

As I have said, the KJV is only 400 years old. People were Christians for hundreds of years before it came along; King James was not an apostle and the early church managed very well without it.
I am guessing that you have no answer for this - it is at least the 3rd time I have made this point and had no response from you.

God speaks through the Bible - Scripture, his inspired and holy word. He may speak to you through the KJV. I don't use it, personally; I use the NIV and he speaks to me through that.

Upvote 0

robycop3

Sep 16, 2014
✟107,962.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Brandplucked:

The Greek word rendered 'fornication' here is "inappropriate contenteia", which means any kind of illicit sex. It's the word from which we get "inappropriate contentography". "Fornication" means consensual sexual intercourse between two persons not married to each other...a close, but not FULL match for "inappropriate contenteia", which includes ALL illicit sexual activity including rape, inappropriate behavior with animals, "group" sex, any and all "inappropriate contentographic' activity, etc. etc.

We see that "sexual immorality" covers the meaning of "inappropriate contenteia" much more-thoroughly than "fornication" does.

This is just another less-than-truthful attempt by Brandplucked to promote his false KJVO myth.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,318.00
Faith
Baptist
We see that "sexual immorality" covers the meaning of "inappropriate contenteia" much more-thoroughly than "fornication" does.

This is seriously incorrect. In the Septuagint, the Apocrypha, and the New Testament, the Greek word πορνεία (inappropriate contenteia) refers only to extra-marital intercourse. It never refers to any other kind of immorality—sexual or otherwise. The translation found in the Updated NASB,

1 Cor. 618. Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.

is absolutely wrong!

The NRSV has it right,

1 Corinthians 6:18 Shun fornication! Every sin that a person commits is outside the body; but the fornicator sins against the body itself.

Please see volume VI, pages 579-595 in the TDNT, and page 854 in the BDAG (2000) lexicon.

This is just another less-than-truthful attempt by Brandplucked to promote his false KJVO myth.

This is a false and unfair accusation. The error of KJVO needs to be accurately and objectively refuted. There are no “Fake Bible Versions,” but there are instances in which the KJV gives a more accurate translation than some of the recent English translations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟591,618.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Let's look at that first claim of Kinney's :
. . . #1. Can God be deceived? The NASB says that the children of Israel deceived God. Not just "tried to deceive" or "thought they had deceived" but deceived Him.

Here are the passages Will quoted from the KJV (1769 edition, I believe.)

" . . .And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel. . ." Eze 14:9

" . . .Ps 78: 36 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.
37 For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant. . . "

Perhaps someone could explain how these verses even support Kinney's argument? I note he does not quote the verse he says is in the NASB (and I am certainly not reading his drivel to find it.)

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,318.00
Faith
Baptist
Let's look at that first claim of Kinney's :

Here are the passages Will quoted from the KJV (1769 edition, I believe.)

" . . .And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel. . ." Eze 14:9

" . . .Ps 78: 36 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.
37 For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant. . . "

Perhaps someone could explain how these verses even support Kinney's argument? I note he does not quote the verse he says is in the NASB (and I am certainly not reading his drivel to find it.)

Eze14:9; Ps 78:36deceive

Brandplucked’s article is not all “drivel.” He makes the very solid point that the Hebrew word translated as “deceived” in Ezekiel 14:9 should not be translated as “deceived” in Psalms 78:36. The NASB is clearly in error in this case, but the RSV and the NRSV have it right.

-- King James
Ezekiel 14:9 And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

-- New King James
Ezekiel 14:9 “And if the prophet is induced to speak anything, I the Lord have induced that prophet, and I will stretch out My hand against him and destroy him from among My people Israel.”

-- American Standard
Ezekiel 14:9 And if the prophet be deceived and speak a word, I, Jehovah, have deceived that prophet, and I will stetch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

-- New American Standard, 1995 Update
Ezekiel 14:9. "But if the prophet is prevailed upon to speak a word, it is I, the LORD, who have prevailed upon that prophet, and I will stretch out My hand against him and destroy him from among My people Israel.

-- Revised Standard
Ezekiel 14:9 And if the prophet be deceived and speak a word, I, the Lord, have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand against him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

-- New Revised Standard with Apocrypha
Ezekiel 14:9 If a prophet is deceived and speaks a word, I, the Lord, have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand against him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

-- King James
Psalms 78:36 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.

-- New King James
Psalms 78:36 Nevertheless they flattered Him with their mouth, And they lied to Him with their tongue;

-- American Standard
Psalms 78:36 But they flattered him with their mouth, And lied unto him with their tongue.

-- New American Standard, 1995 Update
Psalms 78:36. But they deceived Him with their mouth And lied to Him with their tongue.

-- Revised Standard
Psalms 78:36 But they flattered him with their mouths; they lied to him with their tongues.

-- New Revised Standard with Apocrypha
Psalms 78:36 But they flattered him with their mouths;
they lied to him with their tongues.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
:amen: :clap:

Great points again brandplucked. Keep your hands to the plow!

Remember Galatians 6:9 !

Mistakes in texts cause mistakes in translations, and mistakes in the Textus Receptus and the Latin Vulgate caused errors in the KJV, like half a chapter being added to Mark that the Apostle Mark would look at and go "That isn't mine!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, PrincetonGuy for choosing a version for Jn 1:18! I'm grateful! I just managed to order that commentary together with many other books on a maximally 60 day payment plan (they made a one-time exception for me, normally I don't get a payment plan because of U.S. law about payments where a certain code from the card is required). I hope I will be able to keep the item but may have to return it as it's expensive. But I would be glad if You would PM me with more examples of good translation or commentary in that particular volume - which would encourage me to consider keeping it:
There are two approaches to the study of John 1:18:
[...]
J. H. Bernard, in his commentary on John in the I.C.C. series, translates verse 18,

“‘God hath no man seen at any time:
The Only-Begotten, who is God, who dwells in the Father’s bosom,
This is he who revealed God.’”

I do not believe that I have ever seen a better translation of John 1:18 than Bernard’s! It expressly testifies to the deity of Christ (which the KJV does NOT do!), and it does so literally and elegantly in English that even a child can understand.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some of the vitriol shown here is why I hardly post here and when I do I usually regret it. It's not very often that people are helpful when I do.

Well the thread title alone was clear enough of a warning to stay away... "Fake Bibles". You can just feel the Christian love, can't you?

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0