USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When you say that salvation is by faith plus works, what do you mean?
That faith and works are inseparable. Until you do something, you may have belief, but not faith. You demonstrate your faith when you work. That is why repentance and confessing the name of Jesus and etc, and other things must be performed as part of getting saved.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We mean that claiming to believe, but not living as though you believe, not DOING the things God requires of believers, will not result in salvation. As Jesus said, "It is not those who say 'Lord, Lord' who will enter the kingdom, but those who DO the will of the Father".

Reactions: FatalHeart
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
OK, but do the good deeds that a believer performs count towards the prospect of him being saved? You know, bigger acts of charity count for more with God than trivial ones; and if you don't do enough of them, you may not make the grade even as a believer.
Works are defined by participation in the Sacraments (God imparts grace through them but if you don't participate in them it doesn't have any effect on you), praying and fasting and living a godly life.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you say that salvation is by faith plus works, what do you mean?
Why ask ? Until people repent of mary worship and idolatry and lies about pugatory they are niether in faith or rightousness of action.(works)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Works are defined by participation in the Sacraments (God imparts grace through them but if you don't participate in them it doesn't have any effect on you), praying and fasting and living a godly life.

First, the word works does not refer just to the reception of the sacraments or, for that matter, performing other tasks relating to the church, such as prayer, pilgrimages, fasting etc.

But when you get to what you referred to as "living a godly life", i.e. carrying out works of mercy such as Christ recommended in the Sermon on the Mount, you are in the right area.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why ask ? Until people repent of mary worship and idolatry and lies about pugatory they are niether in faith or rightousness of action.(works)

I am not Catholic, nor Orthodox, etc.; I also do not agree with praying to Mary, or praying to the saints, nor do I agree with bowing down to statues, partaking in the sacraments that comes only from a church book (not found in the Bible), and nor do I believe in purgatory and yet: I believe that is the one of the few things the Catholic/Orthodox type churches get right is... "That we are saved by God's grace and by Sanctification," too. Granted, we do not agree on the keeping of which works save us. But they at least believe in the Trinity, right? Well, I also believe in the Trinity, as I am sure you do, as well.

Anyways, 2 Thessalonians 2 says,

"...God has from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth." (2 Thessalonians 2:13).​

So it is not one or the other alone. One needs a belief in the Savior and one also needs Sanctification by the Spirit, too. This may be hard to accept because the belief you have is all you have ever known, but the Word of God cannot lie and it is plain in what it says here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not Catholic, nor Orthodox, etc.; I also do not agree with praying to Mary, the saints, or bowing down to statues, partaking in the sacraments that comes only from a church book (not found in the Bible), and nor do I believe in purgatory and yet, I believe that is the one of the few things the Catholic/Orthodox type churches get right is... that we are saved by God's grace and by Sanctification, too. For they also believe in the Trinity, right? Well, I also believe in the Trinity, as I am sure you do, as well.

Anyways, 2 Thessalonians 2 says,

"...God has from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth." (2 Thessalonians 2:13).​

So it is not one or the other alone. One needs a belief in the Savior and one also needs Sanctification by the Spirit, too. This may be hard to accept because the belief you have is all you have ever known, but the Word of God cannot lie and it is plain in what it says here.
If a little leaven ruins the whole. Then a whole lot of leaven is not righted by a single right point
Its like trying to make a barrel full of rotten apples good by throwing one good apple on top.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If a little leaven ruins the whole. Then a whole lot of leaven is not righted by a single right point
Its like trying to make a barrel full of rotten apples good by throwing one good apple on top.

While I am not agreement with Catholic/Orthodox practices (and I have argued against them on other forums), I am not here to judge the Catholic/Orthodox practices because that does not go over too well here. So I pick and choose my battles. It just so happens that you are in luck that one of my greatest passions next to my passion in loving Jesus is fighting against the different "sin and still be saved type beliefs" that are ever so popular these days.

So any time you are ready to go over the verses that I have put forth, I am ready to defend the good faith of my Lord Jesus Christ and His good ways with His Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who worships Mary and are idolaters? :scratch:
Most of the people that lie by saying they dont yet they do either in person or by proxy and implication by not openly denouncing it. Unless you think parading images of mary down streets in emitional adoration is not doing so .
But the point of my insertion into the thread is to note that this poibt re faith vs works or faith only or faith and works is a red herring.
Its being used to trick people back under rcc dominance.
Itsca farce
A shiney red apple on top of a barrel of apples that is stenched with its rotteness.
You are younger. Pehaps take the time to read about those executed at thier hands .for obeying the lord Jesus and refusing the rcc

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How does John 10:27-30 factor into this?

The sheep (described here) are those sheep who FOLLOW Jesus. They are not lazy sheep who are being dragged by their necks on leashes here. So the condition in not being plucked out of his hand is if we are following Jesus.

Remember, the sheep are those who actually helped the poor in Matthew 25:31-40. However, the goats did not help the poor and they were cast into everlasting fire (Matthew 25:41-46).

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I am not agreement with Catholic/Orthodox practices (and I have argued against them on other forums), I am not here to judge the Catholic/Orthodox practices because that does not go over too well here. So I pick and choose my battles. It just so happens that you are in luck that one of my greatest passions next to my passion in loving Jesus is fighting against the different "sin and still be saved type beliefs" that are ever so popular these days.

So any time you are ready to go over the verses that I have put forth, I am ready to defend the good faith of my Lord Jesus Christ and His good ways with His Word.
No it does not go down well... But we know this place is about advertising and revenue.
Careful of compromise...it makes 2 things go away.
1 persecution
2 salvation.

Both are lost by compromise

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pegagianism is the belief that:

1. Adam's sin did not effect future generations.
2. The beginning half of faith is an act of free will by man.
3. The increase of faith is an act of free will by man.

Semi Pelagianism is the belief that:

1. Adam's sin somewhat effected future generations.
2. The beginning half of the faith is an act of free will by man.
3. The increase of faith (growing in faith) is an act of God.

I believe in Prevenient Grace. This is the belief taught in the Bible that God draws us and we respond by to this drawing of our own free will.

See Prevenient Grace here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevenient_grace

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semipelagianism
https://www.gotquestions.org/Pelagianism.html

#2 and 3 under Semi-P are either not fleshed out enough to be meaningful or else they contradict one another. #2 is autonomy and #3 is theonomy (monergistic). Stating both to be synergistic would at least be consistent. #1 just flat out fails when weighed with the Scriptures on the topic of sin, transgressions, trespasses, unrighteousness, etc (Scripture test). It also fails the historical doctrine test, and the experiential test and past history of mankind's behavior and sins against one another, among the unregenerate and regenerate alike.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No it does not go down well... But we know this place is about advertising and revenue.
Careful of compromise...it makes 2 things go away.
1 persecution
2 salvation.

Both are lost by compromise

I will argue against it in other ways whereby it is more effective. I believe Paul did not have to go to prison. While Paul was one of the greatest men of God (than I can think of), he did not take heed to another believer's prophecy in not going to Jerusalem. His love for his people was really great. So no. I am not looking to avoid persecution. I receive that just fine in arguing on many other topics (Including my argument against Eternal Security). Granted, most of it is verbal persecution. But yes. All who live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. I know that is unavoidable. But we also can be as innocent as doves and as wise as serpents, too.

We are also told to escape all these things (i.e. the Tribulation) by being read and being watchful for the Lord's immanent return, as well (i.e. the Pre-Trib Rapture).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
#2 and 3 under Semi-P are either not fleshed out enough to be meaningful or else they contradict one another. #2 is autonomy and #3 is theonomy (monergistic). Stating both to be synergistic would at least be consistent. #1 just flat out fails when weighed with the Scriptures on the topic of sin, transgressions, trespasses, unrighteousness, etc (Scripture test). It also fails the historical doctrine test, and the experiential test and past history of mankind's behavior and sins against one another, among the unregenerate and regenerate alike.

I do not believe in Pelagianism and nor do I believe in Semi-Pelagianism. The definitions I provided are from different sources and not just one.

I am not going to argue on what those sources say because that is not the specific purpose of this thread.

I believe in Original Sin, Prevenient Grace, and Synergism (Which is different than Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism).

As for the last part of your post:
It is a little too foggy for me in what you are trying to say.
Are you for a sin and still be saved type belief because of a belief alone on Jesus?
Or do you believe God's grace and holiness both play a part in the salvation equation?

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not believe in Pelagianism and nor do I believe in Semi-Pelagianism. The definitions I provided are from different sources and not just one.

I am not going to argue on what those sources say because that is not the specific purpose of this thread.

I believe in Original Sin, Prevenient Grace, and Synergism (Which is different than Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism).

As for the last part of your post:
It is a little too foggy for me in what you are trying to say.
Are you for a sin and still be saved type belief because of a belief alone on Jesus?
Or do you believe God's grace and holiness both play a part in the salvation equation?

I believe the work of Christ alone saved me, by imputation justified me, and the Spirit of God preserves me according to the will of God. If I should pull a Jonah, God will provide a big fish, and cause me to reconsider my free will choice(s).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe the work of Christ alone saved me, by imputation justified me, and the Spirit of God preserves me according to the will of God. If I should pull a Jonah, God will provide a big fish, and cause me to reconsider my free will choice(s).

Unfortunately that is not how things work in regards to salvation according to the Bible. While God can certainly chastise us, and or do things to protect us, if we start off saying that our gospel message is in Christ alone and nothing else, that means that we are telling other people that we can sin and still be saved (Whether we want to happen or not).

For saying: Grace + nothing else = salvation...
Is another way of saying: Grace + sin = salvation.
For "sin" falls under the "nothing else" category.
Because one is saying that sin does not play a factor in the salvation equation.
Therefore a person can sin and still be saved.
Meaning, a Christian can be an axe murdering rapist and be saved as long as they have a belief on Jesus. Now, many will say that a true Christian will not do those kinds of things. But what they are really saying is that there is a certain level of holiness that is required to be saved when they say that a Christian will not do those things. So yes.... holiness is required as a part of the salvation process unless of course you believe Christians can be saved even while they are axe murdering rapists.

Please take note that I have talked with people who believe they can do extremely grievous sins with the thinking they are saved. I had people admit to me they could mow down a crowd of people with a sub machine gun and they would still be saved while doing so.

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do our good works contribute to meriting our salvation or are they a natural result and component of our salvation?
I am not reformed, more like armininan, but I would not say our works merit salvation. Faith is the key to obtaining and keeping salvation. Works are the natural results of trusting God.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0