Detroit
✟23,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was going to use a popular eye wash, until I read the ingredients.

eyewash03.jpg

Alcohol? I was surprised.
I did some research.

Typed into google search engine :
should alcohol be put into the eyes

Extremely harmful
Putting alcohol in your eye is extremely harmful and can cause chemical burns on the outermost layer of the eye called the cornea. Rubbing alcohol is known for its potential of causing chemical burns, and thus for the eyes, it is extremely harmful. Depending on how pure or strong the solution was, it may likely damage the deeper structures and layers inside the eye. If you accidentally splash rubbing alcohol in your eye, it can damage your cornea and cause redness and pain. Vodka eyeballing can cause corneal abrasions and scarring, promote angiogenesis in the eye, and increase the risk for eye infections.

I have been using Optrex when I was younger, and never considered what was in the product.
Now that I know, I am very skeptical - actually very reluctant - about using this product.

What do you think?
What do you wash your eyes with, or what recommendations do you have?

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use Blink lubricating eye drops, use to use Visine but my eyes always burned, then like you noticed all the garbage in it.

This is the only thin Blink has in it:

blink.jpg

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use Blink lubricating eye drops, use to use Visine but my eyes always burned, then like you noticed all the garbage in it.

This is the only thin Blink has in it:

View attachment 337721

I'm more looking for a wash.
Blink seems to e a drug that come with those easily acquired side effects, though.
WARNINGS
  • To avoid contamination, do not touch tip of container to any surface. Replace cap after using.
  • Do not use if solution changes color or becomes cloudy.
  • Stop use and ask a doctor if:
  • You experience eye pain, changes in vision, continued redness or irritation of the eye, or if the condition worsens or persists for more than 72 hours.
It also has quite a lot of ingredients that aren't organic.
INACTIVE INGREDIENTS
  • Boric Acid;
  • Calcium Chloride;
  • Magnesium Chloride;
  • Potassium Chloride;
  • Purified Water;
  • Sodium Borate;
  • Sodium Chloride;
  • Sodium Chlorite (OcuPure® brand) as a preservative;
  • Sodium Hyaluronate.

Even if I had dry eyes, I don't think Blink would be something I would want to try.

Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm more looking for a wash.
Blink seems to e a drug that come with those easily acquired side effects, though.
WARNINGS
  • To avoid contamination, do not touch tip of container to any surface. Replace cap after using.
  • Do not use if solution changes color or becomes cloudy.
  • Stop use and ask a doctor if:
  • You experience eye pain, changes in vision, continued redness or irritation of the eye, or if the condition worsens or persists for more than 72 hours.
It also has quite a lot of ingredients that aren't organic.
INACTIVE INGREDIENTS
  • Boric Acid;
  • Calcium Chloride;
  • Magnesium Chloride;
  • Potassium Chloride;
  • Purified Water;
  • Sodium Borate;
  • Sodium Chloride;
  • Sodium Chlorite (OcuPure® brand) as a preservative;
  • Sodium Hyaluronate.

Even if I had dry eyes, I don't think Blink would be something I would want to try.
You are correct -

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS​

Boric Acid; Calcium Chloride; Magnesium Chloride; Potassium Chloride; Purified Water; Sodium Borate; Sodium Chloride; Sodium Chlorite (OcuPure® brand) as a preservative; Sodium Hyaluronate.

That's it, going with just RO water.
Thanks

• Optimistic
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anything with alcohol is extremely discouraged for prosthetic eyes as it will damage them … If it does that to prosthetics … I would definitely heed the same warning for good eyes.
It's interesting that these companies are allowed to sell products without scrutiny on what may be against science in keeping with good medical health.
What if, millions would have had healthier eyes, if they didn't use Optrex.

• Agree
Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then tens of millions of d o l l a r s profits would have been lost , not just once, but every year.
I guess you mean tens of millions of d o l l a r s profits lost from the companies.
That's true. Lives don't matter. That's why they still sell cigarettes, with a box with writing telling you "kill yourself, if you want to."

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was going to use a popular eye wash, until I read the ingredients.

View attachment 337718

Alcohol? I was surprised.
I did some research.

Typed into google search engine :
should alcohol be put into the eyes

Extremely harmful
Putting alcohol in your eye is extremely harmful and can cause chemical burns on the outermost layer of the eye called the cornea. Rubbing alcohol is known for its potential of causing chemical burns, and thus for the eyes, it is extremely harmful. Depending on how pure or strong the solution was, it may likely damage the deeper structures and layers inside the eye. If you accidentally splash rubbing alcohol in your eye, it can damage your cornea and cause redness and pain. Vodka eyeballing can cause corneal abrasions and scarring, promote angiogenesis in the eye, and increase the risk for eye infections.

I have been using Optrex when I was younger, and never considered what was in the product.
Now that I know, I am very skeptical - actually very reluctant - about using this product.

What do you think?
What do you wash your eyes with, or what recommendations do you have?
Humans have been alive for millenia without the need for eye wash. You just need to watch a sad movie and cry more. Natural eye wash, for the low price of a Netflix subscription, free DVD at the local library, or movie ticket. :) Also, if contacts bother you, glasses are a thing.

Disclaimer: Do not take my advice, as I am a young man in his 20s who doesn't know much about eye wash.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,188.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Humans have been alive for millenia without the need for eye wash. You just need to watch a sad movie and cry more. Natural eye wash, for the low price of a Netflix subscription, free DVD at the local library, or movie ticket. :) Also, if contacts bother you, glasses are a thing.

Disclaimer: Do not take my advice, as I am a young man in his 20s who doesn't know much about eye wash.

Don't even need to watch movie. I just need to look at my life chock full of regrets and guilts!

I also exercise a lot and don't wear sweat band and just allow the sweat to get into my eyes, I don't even bother to wipe it off.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't even need to watch movie. I just need to look at my life chock full of regrets and guilts!

I also exercise a lot and don't wear sweat band and just allow the sweat to get into my eyes, I don't even bother to wipe it off.
Yeah, that works also. :) We all have regrets, but Jesus forgives us of them.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I started making my own eyewash - a saline solution of salt and water, since I don't like crying too much. Tears flow when I laugh at times, but lately, I haven't been laughing very much.

What is the recipe for saline solution?
  • 2 Teaspoons of table salt
  • 1000 mL (4 cups) of warm tap water

Stovetop method

1. Boil 2 cups of water covered for 15 minutes.
  2. Allow to cool to room temperature.
  3. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
  4. Add 1 pinch of baking soda (optional).
  5. Stir until dissolved.
  6. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours. (After that, it should be discarded.)

I tried this, and my vision was clearer.
I use half cup of water to a quarter teaspoon of salt, since I am not making it for a household of 10. :)

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I started making my own eyewash - a saline solution of salt and water, since I don't like crying too much. Tears flow when I laugh at times, but lately, I haven't been laughing very much.

What is the recipe for saline solution?
  • 2 Teaspoons of table salt
  • 1000 mL (4 cups) of warm tap water

Stovetop method

1. Boil 2 cups of water covered for 15 minutes.
  2. Allow to cool to room temperature.
  3. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
  4. Add 1 pinch of baking soda (optional).
  5. Stir until dissolved.
  6. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours. (After that, it should be discarded.)

I tried this, and my vision was clearer.
I use half cup of water to a quarter teaspoon of salt, since I am not making it for a household of 10. :)
Cool.

Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The concentration of alcohol in the product isn't high enough to be harmful.

Eye drops have to be bacteriostatic so that you don't get an eye infection. Alcohol serves a role as a carrier for other ingredients, and it's soluble with a wide variety of substances to form emulsions.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The concentration of alcohol in the product isn't high enough to be harmful.
Eye drops have to be bacteriostatic so that you don't get an eye infection. Alcohol serves a role as a carrier for other ingredients, and it's soluble with a wide variety of substances to form emulsions.
Is this an opinion, or do you have credible data you can share with those who are careful about the source of their information?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Is this an opinion, or do you have credible data you can share with those who are careful about the source of their information?

Uh... it's just basic chemistry. Alcohol is used in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals all the time.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Uh... it's just basic chemistry. Alcohol is used in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals all the time.
That's true.
There is a lot of plastic in our oceans killing marine life, but plastic is still being manufactured, even after the bid to get rid of it.
However, we aren't discussing whether something is used, or not, but whether or not the concentration of alcohol in the product isn't high enough to be harmful.

Otherwise, we could use this as a reference.

16 Toxic Chemicals To Avoid In Cosmetics And Skincare

14. Alcohol​

Alcohol is a common solvent in skincare products. It is helpful in absorbing the products better and hence, a great fit for certain creams and lotions. But alcohol is a toxic skincare ingredient. Alcohol (drying alcohol) in skincare can leave the skin dry and flaky. It disrupts the skin renewal process. However, not all alcohols are bad for your skin. Fatty alcohols are derived from natural fats and oils and are great moisturizing agents.

Aside from the concentration level, the kinds of alcohol used is a factor also.

Is Alcohol in Skincare Bad? We Asked Dermatolgists
Skin that feels dry and depleted after toner, moisturizer, or a face wash is confusing - like you've just fallen for false advertising. The goal with skincare is never to feel worse over time, so what gives? The culprit may be alcohol, but not just any alcohol - volatile alcohols that actually damage the skin's barrier.

As it turns out, not all alcohols are created equal when it comes to skincare. While simple alcohols are generally best avoided, some alcohols (particularly fatty alcohols) are actually beneficial for the skin.

Safety evaluation of topical applications of ethanol on the skin and inside the oral cavity

The safety of topical applications of ethanol is still a matter of debate, and there appears to be scientific evidence pointing in both directions. On the one hand, researchers came to the conclusion that the range of damage caused to the skin by the alcohol cannot and should not be ignored, although the deleterious effects of ethanol exposure on the skin may pale into insignificance compared to its effects on the liver, central nervous system, and other body systems after ingestion [3]. On the other hand, scientific studies attributed ethanol for topical uses as safe per se [1,4-7]. However, there appears to be at least some evidence, including epidemiological data, about mouthwash use, and data from animal experiments showing that ethanol on the skin or inside the oral cavity may cause harm if used chronically. Evaluation according to EU cosmetics legislation [8] and other acts about chemical safety should consider the chronic toxic and carcinogenic potential of ethanol. In this article, the safety of topical uses of ethanol will be evaluated by a critical review of the scientific literature.

This is informative.
It helps to know that fatty alcohols - those made from natural fats, make a difference.
People are generally more satisfied when they know the source of their information, and can review it for themselves. Just hearing someone make a claim, does not mean much to people who don't just take whatever they hear, and go with it.
At least, I am one that feels that way.

The thing is about some products, they never tell you the concentration level of the contents of their products.
eyewash02.jpg

Some probably lie, anyway, so sometimes a person is still in the dark.
That's why I always try to find natural. If I can't, I may do without.

Last edited:
Upvote 0