Ex-Newsboy Trying to Get Back in Shape...

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was in high school, I ran in cross-country. I would have joined the cycling team, too, but we didn't have one. Since I took awhile to get my driver's license, I did a lot of bicycle touring. After bending a rim on a city grate, I upgraded to a mountain bike w/ drop bars (1982) which I have dubbed the "argali" style. Before we had kids, my argali was my backup ride whenever I had car troubles (or no car at all).

Fourteen years ago, I took a job as door-to-door paper carrier, walking 9.5 miles, 2x/week, year-round. Three years later, I picked up a utility trike. In the last two years, my route was reduced to once/week. It was discontinued in January of this year. (At my peak, I had a resting heart rate in the 40s, though still a little overweight.)

Since our youngest moved out, I have had my argali tuned up (for spring/summer/fall riding) and intend to keep triking in the winter (when roads are clear).

After nine months of relative inactivity, my RHR has creeped up to 70 and my waist inches have gone up, too. My abs have remained reasonably strong, but I don't really have the knees for running anymore.

I prefer outdoor cycling but have pulled some "resale" exercise equipment out of mothballs for use on rain & snow days,
  • a simple motorized treadmill,
  • a fan-type spinning bike &
  • a hydraulic rower.
Ideally, I'd like to get my RHR back into the 40s and lose some inches off my waist. I am open to ideas (using my existing equipment) for my rainy day workout.

(Edit: I recently biked my old paper route as an exercise routine. I corrected the miles (as reported by Google Maps) to that recorded by my newly installed odometer.)

Last edited:

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ideally, I'd like to get my RHR back into the 40s and lose some inches off my waist. I am open to ideas (using my existing equipment) for my rainy day workout.

It is quite hard to just lose weight with exercise. In addition to whatever exercise you end up with cutting calories and/or doing some form of intermittent fasting would probably yield good benefits.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was in high school, I ran in cross-country. I would have joined the cycling team, too, but we didn't have one. Since I took awhile to get my driver's license, I did a lot of bicycle touring. After bending a rim on a city grate, I upgraded to a mountain bike w/ drop bars (1982) which I have dubbed the "argali" style. Before we had kids, my argali was my backup ride whenever I had car troubles (or no car at all).

Fourteen years ago, I took a job as door-to-door paper carrier, walking 15.5 miles, 2x/week, year-round. Three years later, I picked up a utility trike. In the last two years, my route was reduced to once/week. It was discontinued in January of this year. (At my peak, I had a resting heart rate in the 40s, though still a little overweight.)

Since our youngest moved out, I have had my argali tuned up (for spring/summer/fall riding) and intend to keep triking in the winter (when roads are clear).

After nine months of relative inactivity, my RHR has creeped up to 70 and my waist inches have gone up, too. My abs have remained reasonably strong, but I don't really have the knees for running anymore.

I prefer outdoor cycling but have pulled some "resale" exercise equipment out of mothballs for use on rain & snow days,
  • a simple motorized treadmill,
  • a fan-type spinning bike &
  • a hydraulic rower.

It's not as easy as when we were younger. I lived my whole life at 175 but no matter what I do now it's all I can do to stay under 200. At 6'1" I still have to listen to the doctors call me overweight. The only solution seems to be that dreaded treadmill.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Get someone to throw a ball for you to go run after, catch, and bring back...5 times a week, 1 hour sessions.

It worked for me as my belly doesnt touch the ground anymore!

Upvote 0