Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I have not. I am 76 and "medically fragile". Why should I risk my life going to places with many strangers who may put my life at risk?
Good on you. I hope you have a support system as going out to such places right now is not wise given your age group.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Good on you. I hope you have a support system as going out to such places right now is not wise given your age group.

I have been married for 51 years to the most wonderful woman I have ever known. She takes as many precautions as she possibly can to make sure that we can get food and other necessities. She is willing to take a personal risk to protect us both.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"The closers [what kind of term is that?] seem to want everything shut down with no discernible criteria for reopening

That is exactly what the closers want.

The key is to "reopen" safely.

Reasonable safety can be done now. Total safety can never be done, because the virus will be around forever.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The church was set up to spread the word of God. The transmission of this word is quite similar to the transmission of this virus. Therefore it makes perfect sense that shutting down these large congregations would reduce the spread of the virus.

As for the Lord's word and His will He said that at the end of the age, actually at "Midnight"
Matt 25:6 “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’
It is time to "come out" of that congregation and meet him. You had 2,000 years to get ready.

7 “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have been married for 51 years to the most wonderful woman I have ever known. She takes as many precautions as she possibly can to make sure that we can get food and other necessities. She is willing to take a personal risk to protect us both.
Does she do that because the government says to?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Everybody should read this article about Christianity during the time of COVID-19...

Trump's Push To Open Churches Contradicts Jesus' Teaching To Love Neighbors: Clergy
It is not the place of government to regulate the church it is counter to the basic principles and rights that we as Americans hold dear. How can we acknowledge the sacrifice that our veterans made and at the same time disregard the things they made possible. Our county is in serious trouble.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
15_71.jpg

Everybody should read this...

Given the circumstances, one might have assumed that at the very least this President would have shown enough respect for his supporters by demonstrating solidarity in attending Church this morning!

Never let it be said, however, that this President would allow religion and the convictions of his followers to interfere with a Sunday morning round of golf!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't read the article

It reflects the political opinions of the D.O.C., Sojourners, ELCA, United Church of Christ, Episcopal Church, and similar "mainline" denominations.

If that's the way you lean, then that's the way you lean.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The closers [what kind of term is that?] seem to want everything shut down with no discernible criteria for reopening and people can only be deprived of their average lives for so long." No exaggeration there! People seem to want everything shut down with no discernible criteria for reopening? Really?? That is not true. The key is to "reopen" safely.

"...people can only be deprived of their average lives for so long" Did you mean to put in the word "average"? It's more accurate to say, "... people can only be deprived of their lives for so long". There have been almost 100,000 deaths in the US due to COVID-19. Without continued safety measures this number will increase considerably.

It is wrong to infect others with COVID-19, possibly causing their deaths and their families extreme grief.

People should worship together safely.

Loving your neighbor does not mean causing them sickness or death.

We all put people in danger every single day. I see no reason to single out the church. Right now someone is working in close proximity to another just to keep your electric on. We can't keep everyone safe at all times.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The COVID-19 is a unique virus, discovered in 2019.

Don't mean to be pedantic, but having read what some of the experts have said, they make a point of distinguishing between virus, infection and disease. There is a virus call SARS-NCOV2 - the virus is not called COVID-19, COVID-19 is a disease with symptoms that people develop after being infected with the virus. Some studies suggest many people have had mild case of COVID-19.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It is propaganda to suggest that those who want to reopen don't love their neighbour. The closers seem to want everything shut down with no discernible criteria for reopening and people can only be deprived of their average lives for so long.

It is not wrong to reopen Churches, it is not wrong to allow people to worship together.
I guess it's like a fast then, if you need it that bad.

God is everywhere, everything else is extraneous.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Don't mean to be pedantic, but having read what some of the experts have said, they make a point of distinguishing between virus, infection and disease. There is a virus call SARS-NCOV2 - the virus is not called COVID-19, COVID-19 is a disease with symptoms that people develop after being infected with the virus. Some studies suggest many people have had mild case of COVID-19.
Actually it goes by both names.

COVID refers to the physical structure of the virus, and SARS relates to how it affects people.

Probably went with COVID since SARS-1 wasn't taken seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

KirkPsalm

Mar 28, 2016
Texas
✟26,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Everybody should read this article about Christianity during the time of COVID-19...

Trump's Push To Open Churches Contradicts Jesus' Teaching To Love Neighbors: Clergy
This is typical media. Me staying at home is not loving my regular pew neighbor at church. I am now being reckless with anyone's safety if i go to church now. I am not living in some life-stifling, day-to-day activity crippling way either. My Bible charges me to love my neighbor and it also charges me not to live in the grip of fear. Churches should reopen and people who are inherently at higher risk of the adverse affects of covid should exercise judgement and stay at home. We who are less likely to be profoundly affected should be careful not to be lackadaisical and be cautious about our gathering. These people featured in
Carol Kuruvilla's article are relying more on the news media than anything else for what they should do. I am suspicious that would be true too with respect of how they are forming their world view. I wonder what guides the people.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe God is testing us in so many ways during this time. So rather than use derogatory innuendos for one another, we should take this time to examine ourselves. Afterall, it is our personal relationship that must be nurtured ; the "one on one" with our Lord ,in hiding ,so that the work of the Holy Spirit can be displayed by the fruits which are love,joy,peace,patience,kindness,goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self control. Our lives should reflect these qualities if we are walking in His Spirit. So please examine yourselves. Be blessed and stay healthy.

Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!" 2 Corinthians 13:5

Last edited:
Upvote 0