Euthanasia Nurses Smother Woman to Death with Pillow After Drugs Didn’t Work.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alexina Wattiez wasn’t supposed to die like this. The 36-year-old Belgian woman was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 2021. She deteriorated rapidly and was in so much pain that she asked for euthanasia.

On March 29 last year, her doctor, the two nurses who were looking after her, her partner, Christophe Stulens, and their 15-year-old daughter gathered in anticipation of a peaceful death. Stulens and the daughter were waiting outside while the doctor administered the lethal injection.

The facts are still obscure, but this much is known. Alexina’s partner and daughter heard her screaming. When they entered the room, she was dead, but it appears that the two nurses had smothered her with a pillow. The lethal dose had not been sufficient to kill her.

It appears that neither the nurses nor the doctor reported the failed euthanasia. But two days before the funeral, someone informed the public prosecutor’s office. A forensic pathologist examined the body and noticed traces of suffocation on the victim’s face.

Her family has demanded an investigation. “Could you imagine that your mother or your wife could end up suffocated by a cushion as part of her end of life? I think no one can conceive and imagine that,” says their lawyer, Maître Renaud Molders-Pierre.

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My question is, if she was in that much pain, what on earth is so wrong with giving her enough pain-reliving medication that she didn't feel the pain any more???

Are they afraid that too much painkiller will kill her? She's terminal anyway. Why not just give her enough painkiller that she feels no pain, and wait until she passes? That way, no murder is committed.

Is it a cost-saving measure? Drugs that kill you are less expensive than drugs which remove pain?

I have never, ever understood this crap that when a patient is terminal---when they're going to die, regardless, and there's nothing you can do about it---that these friggin' doctors refuse to give them enough pain meds to make them comfortable. Why not? What possible difference is it going to make if they die in comfort instead of screaming agony? They're going to die anyway! :mad:

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My question is, if she was in that much pain, what on earth is so wrong with giving her enough pain-reliving medication that she didn't feel the pain any more???

Are they afraid that too much painkiller will kill her? She's terminal anyway. Why not just give her enough painkiller that she feels no pain, and wait until she passes? That way, no murder is committed.

Is it a cost-saving measure? Drugs that kill you are less expensive than drugs which remove pain?

I have never, ever understood this crap that when a patient is terminal---when they're going to die, regardless, and there's nothing you can do about it---that these friggin' doctors refuse to give them enough pain meds to make them comfortable. Why not? What possible difference is it going to make if they die in comfort instead of screaming agony? They're going to die anyway! :mad:

In this case, the patient chose euthanasia.

It takes abit of time, for a person to die the way you describe.
And during that time, there needs to be continual monitoring of the patient,
and physical bodily care needs to continue, whether the patient is conscious our not.
There can also be much mental and emotional strain on family members, as they watch their loved one slowly die.

Apparently, this patient, or the person having medical power of attorney over her, did not want to go thru all of that.
They thought euthanasia would be easier, quicker, less painful.

It takes faith and courage and patience, to bravely face a slow death. (Sometimes love of family can be a strong motivator.)
It takes faith, strong love, fairly good health, and heavenly grace, for a family member to personally care for a dying loved one.
Some people just don't have those things.

Nowadays, I don't know how many doctors will try to talk a patient into the long, slow way.
The trend these days seems to be to do things 'quickly'.

(Do I support euthanasia? No. But I do understand why some persons will choose it.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When they entered the room, she was dead, but it appears that the two nurses had smothered her with a pillow. The lethal dose had not been sufficient to kill her.

This sounds very horrible to us, but I wonder how much of this sort of thing goes on, that we never hear about?
I suspect more than we would ever want to know ...

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0