• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Eteral life is impossible to retract.

Discussion in 'Salvation (Soteriology)' started by DaveKerwin, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

+2,970
    Catholic
    Private
    From reading the Scriptures posted by \o/,  I'd say yes. :)  Or at very least it is forfeitable.   And he/she was completely on topic.

Michelle

2. Slave2SinNoMore

Slave2SinNoMore Active Member

+15
    Christian
    Hi Miss Shelby,
    I'm curious as to what you think the "incorruptible seed" of 1 Peter 1:23 is.

I think it is the new nature of a Christian, who has been regenerated.

Therefore, if the new nature of a Christian cannot be corrupted (go bad), how can he lose eternal life, which is a gift that Christians already possess?
    Remember that Christ himself said that Christians already possess eternal life, not just myself and others here.

3. DaveKerwin

DaveKerwin Represent the Most High

+125
    Christian
    Married
    My argument would make more sense if it had the terms defined beforehand, showed how the two verses used the same ideas, and also showed more detail about who revokes, and the circumstances around it. I really don't have that much time on my hands, but I could make it work if needed. As far as the argument itself goes, it does follow. The only question is if the terms are used inappropriately. I understand many verses would lead us to believe that we need to work our way towards God's gift of eternal life. But let me remind you of one thing. If it were possible to earn our way to heaven, Jesus would not need to die for us. Bottom line.

4. Ben johnson

Ben johnson Legend Supporter

+374
    Christian
    It is NOT revocable. "I will NEVER leave you NOR forsake you". (Heb13)

...but it is rejectable. As Miss Shelby eloquently said, "forfeitable".
    It is exactly what it says it is; let's start from verse 13:

"Gird your minds for action;
    keep sober in spirit;
    fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus;
    do not be conformed to former lusts...
    ...but be holy in all your behavior...
    conduct yourselves in fear during your time, of the One who judges impartially;
    knowing you are not ransomed with perisible things but with precious blood of Christ;
    for He has foreknown before the foundation of the world who are believers...
    since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls,
    ...for you have not been born again of perishable seed but of imperishable,
    that is through the living and abiding word of God, ...the word preached to you."

Voluntary admonishments. Born of imperishable seed, through and because of WILLFUL BELIEF---belief that causes obedience to truth...

Do verses 13-17 even slightly suggest predestination? No.

Are they written as if we are responsible in our approaches and lives?

Yes.

Please read 2Pet1:9-11---verse 11 is "MUTUALLY-EXCLUSIVE"---that is, the EISODOS-GATES of Heaven will be provided in no other way. Does Peter write as though it is POSSIBLE and even likely that one can FORGET FORMER PURIFICATION? Yes.

We must be diligent---to make certain of our "calling and election".

Words that would NEVER have been written, had Peter believed in "predestined-election"...

That-which-is-predestined, carries its own certainty, and does not charge individual responsibility...

5. LightBearer

LightBearer Veteran

+19
    Jehovahs Witness

Exactly. And Paul said not untill the ressurection does one get that perfection and along with it the gift of eternal life.

1 Corinthians 15:42 "So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption, it is raised up in incorruption.

1 Corinthians 15:53-57 "For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality. 54 But when [this which is corruptible puts on incorruption and] this which is mortal puts on immortality, then the saying will take place that is written: “Death is swallowed up forever.” 55 “Death, where is your victory? Death, where is your sting?”

Jesus himself said "but he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved. (Matthew 10:22)

Paul also likened the christian course to a race that one must finnish succesfully. 1 Cor 9:24. "Do you not know that the runners in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in sucha way that you may attain it.

Paul, only at the moment of his impending death did he consider he had finnished his christian course successfully and gaind the gift.

2 Timothy 4:6-8 "I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the due time for my releasing is imminent. I have fought the fine fight, I have run the course to the finish, I have observed the faith. From this time on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me as a reward in that day, yet not only to me, but also to all those who have loved his manifestation".

Remember too the warning in Zephaniah 2:3. “SEEK the LORD, all you meek ones of the earth, who have practiced His own judicial decision. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably you may be concealed in the day of God’s anger.”

The appeal here is to God's own people.  The probability here does not lay with God failing, but with you.

6. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

+2,970
    Catholic
    Private

Hi, slave2SinNoMore,

I thought the incorruptible seed referred to Jesus.

If you believe that a 'true' Christian cannot turn around and fall away, then you would have to literally be ignoring half of what is written in the New Testament. :) 

Jesus talked about not denying Him and what would happen if we did.  James talked about not wandering from the faith and so did Peter.   Paul, in several places indicates that we can fall from the faith.  He was even worried about his own salvation when he said that buffets his body and makes it his slave, lest possibly after he'd preached to others he himself  might be disqualified. 

I am not a robot  I am a human.  God wants my love only if I want to give it to Him.

Michelle

7. DaveKerwin

DaveKerwin Represent the Most High

+125
    Christian
    Married
    I will be the first to admit that any interpretation is possible. Regardless of what we find out on the day of glory, I will follow Christ all my days. Should I run the race till the end, which I am confident will happen, I have nothing to worry about.

8. LightBearer

LightBearer Veteran

+19
    Jehovahs Witness
    Then I commend you for your positive attitude.

Best regards,

LB.

9. prodigal

prodigal Member

+2
    Non-Denom
    Not me!! Of course I base that on the promises I find in the Word of God:

10. Stormy

Stormy Senior Contributor

+837
    Christian
    US-Others
    But if you do not live your life as Christ has instructed... Are you truly a Christian?

There's the catch! :eek:

Matthew 7:21Not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles? 23Then I will tell them plainly, I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!

11. SavedByGrace3

SavedByGrace3 Whoever calls on the name of Jesus will be saved Supporter

+1,195
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others

The question is, do you have the right, the power, the authority, opporitinity, or the chance to make such a decision.

I submit you do not. You are not your own. You no longer belong to yourself and hence cannot dertermine for yourself your own fate. You were saved by an act of God, and only God can cause you to lose that salvation. He has said He would never allow that.

The only decision that matters is the one that is going to made by Jesus on "that day". He said He would never leave you or forsake you. I think that settles it in my mind. He did not lie. I know what He is going to say to me and (all who ever believed on Him) on that day.

I think that most folks just do not understand the depth of the salvation that has been set in place for us. It is not something that can be casually discarded. We are more saved than the lost are [email protected] The lost are hopelessly lost. We are more saved than they are lost.

Amen! 

12. Ben johnson

+374
    Christian
    I miss Netscape. On this laptop tiny fonts make my head hurt. Netscape does not display tiny fonts.

Yes that is the question, if we have the right, the power, the authority, opporitinity, or the chance to make such a decision. And did we have the right, the power, the authority, opporitinity, or the chance to receive salvation in the first place? This is the question behind all of the debates.

What is the NATURE of our salvation?

You no longer belong to yourself, you cannot dertermine for yourself your own fate.
    You were saved by an act of God
    ]only God can cause you to lose that salvation.
    He has said He would never allow that.

Can you provide Scriptures for each of these?

13. Ben johnson

+374
    Christian
    What if you get mad at your sis, and in an angry pique you throw away the gift certificate. Will the gift still be fulfilled?

(Ben runs away giggling...)

;)

14. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

+21
    Non-Denom
    you already have the gift. whaddya mean its not fulfilled yet??? if you are born again, didn't your spirit get miraculously recreated? didnt you become a new creation in your spirit? didnt you receive the life of God ("he who has the Son has life")? we already have eternal life in us, we're not waiting to get it.

when Jesus and the Father both say "NOTHING (its not no man -- man is in italics ie added) can pluck them out of my hand" why cant we simply believe that?

When Paul says NOTHING can sep us from the love of God, why cant we just believe that?

Why in the world do children of God fight for the right to be disown their heavenly Father?

15. Slave2SinNoMore

Slave2SinNoMore Active Member

+15
    Christian
    Amen, Andrew!

16. eldermike

eldermike Pray Supporter

+578
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yep, why would we fight for the right to disown our Father. Amen to that.

In fact, I can fight all I want to but my Father is still my Father. Makes me wonder if adopted children worry about being sent away if they don't act right. I sure hope they don't feel that way. I know I am an adopted son of God and He's not going to send me back even if I don't do what I am supposed to do. But because of His love I will do right by Him, it's my reasonable service.

17. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

+2,970
    Catholic
    Private
    Interesting analogy.

You won't receive the goods, however, if you are careless and reckless with your gift certificates and allow them to fall into the trash can.

So with eternal life.  You have the promise from God, but not the fulfillment of it yet.

Michelle

18. eldermike

eldermike Pray Supporter

+578
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    The word adoption. Has anyone any knowledge of this word ever being used in a conditional manner. Is there a culture that used this word to mean a conditional situation?
    One more thing about adoption. If I recieve adoption papers on a Child, when is that Child adopted?

19. \o/

\o/ Member

+0
    REV 22:18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

20. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Romans 11:29 "for God's gifts and his call are irrevocatble."

In this context i can't see how you can say election is revocable since it is specificlly talking about salvation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.