Finland
✟14,098.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would like to do my own personal eschatology research. I know I can just read bible, make notes, make my own methods of matching world events, signs etc to the Word but since this Is something that’s been done by others there must be some existing databases, tools, interest groups and other resources. Please comment if you have any ideas about the subject or knowledge of the resources in question.

Blessings to you all!

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here you have the main schools of thought regarding eschatology:

For preterism, this is a good online book: https://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/parousia/Parousia_Russell.pdf

For futurism/dispensationalism, I was used to German theologian Erich Sauer - The Triumph of the Crucified, which was good and detailed, but I do not know if its somewhere online.

I do not know about any systematic exposition of historicism or idealism, maybe somebody will help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,050.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Please comment if you have any ideas about the subject or knowledge of the resources in question.
Check out www.logostelos.info
Many short study articles, that write out the scripture and use other scriptures to help explain what is Prophesied. Also we have the benefit of hindsight, modern knowledge, better Bible translations and understanding of past events.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Generally, the use of difficult language in Bible prophecy is punishment, because even if we knew the truth we wouldn't believe it. So the truth has been hidden. This is explained in Matthew 13.

I suggest a different approach that was used by Jesus to interpret the parable of the sower in Matthew 13. Given that the parable is about a farmer and his crop problems, how did Jesus get his interpretation? Find the concepts given by the Bible verses and apply them to an independent real world scenario. That means you have to be close enough to see the event in real life. Do you see anything in the news that might fit with Bible prophecy?

You are Probably Missing This Step in Parable Interpretation | Christian Forums

Concerning Revelation, it's supposed to be helpful but it almost never is. That suggests a problem with our understanding.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

Revelation: things happen, people die.

You can take a look at my blog posts on prophecy. Just scan the titles to see if anything interests you.

Prophecy & News | Christian Forums

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please comment if you have any ideas about the subject or knowledge of the resources in question.
I’ll throw my two cents in here, I don’t have advice on any particular resource, I personally like to use Biblehub.com for general Bible reading and study. I will say, in my opinion, that one of the biggest challenges is determining what has been fulfilled and what hasn’t.

I personally think those who favor a futurist view (many things yet to be fulfilled) also enjoy speculating on how the scriptures are currently being fulfilled by examining current events and in particular news from Israel. However time and time again this type of speculation gets modified when predictions haven’t materialized. The setting of dates and time frames are continuously being pushed forward, often with emphasis on the end being just around the corner or a few years away and this time it’s different.

You can do a search for failed Christian predictions to see how this damages the reputation of those who do this sort of thing and unfortunately it also does damage to those who don’t speculate as many people just lump all Christians into one group.

My advice would be to stick to the scriptures and those who back up their eschatological positions with scripture and stay away from those who are using current events as a determining element.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to do my own personal eschatology research. I know I can just read bible, make notes, make my own methods of matching world events, signs etc to the Word but since this Is something that’s been done by others there must be some existing databases, tools, interest groups and other resources. Please comment if you have any ideas about the subject or knowledge of the resources in question.

Blessings to you all!
If you want to study eschatology, you must study Zechariah.

I am a premeniallist and I agree mostly with what John Macarthur says. I do recommend his sermon 'salvation of Israel' on youtube.

If you are a amillenilaust, I recommend RC Sproul, I wartch him my self, even though our views on eschatology differ, but I can still learn a lot.

If you do not have a believe on millenium, you can watch both views, and see where God leads you. But Zechariah is a must.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Blessings to you all!
Make a 7 year timeline and start plugging in events at where they will happen on the timeline. The end event will be Jesus's Return.

The beginning event will be the confirmation of the covenant of Daniel 9:27.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Understanding Eschatology is a grand doctrine to understand. However, are you actively sharing the Gospel Saving Plan of Christ with non-believers? If not, that is our primary focus.

All Christians should relate to the second part of the passage below. If not . . . yikes.

2 Corinthians 2:14 NLT - "But thank God! He has made us his captives and continues to lead us along in Christ's triumphal procession. Now he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume."

All true Christians should feel as though they are being used by God in this manner. This is one way to know, for sure, if we belong to Christ.

Upvote 0

Pekka

Aug 14, 2022
Finland
✟14,098.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Understanding Eschatology is a grand doctrine to understand. However, are you actively sharing the Gospel Saving Plan of Christ with non-believers? If not, that is our primary focus.

All Christians should relate to the second part of the passage below. If not . . . yikes.

2 Corinthians 2:14 NLT - "But thank God! He has made us his captives and continues to lead us along in Christ's triumphal procession. Now he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume."

All true Christians should feel as though they are being used by God in this manner. This is one way to know, for sure, if we belong to Christ.
A good point. I have been keeping my faith visible for people around me in my work and private life in hopes that they will see Jesus in me. As I am who I am I have not been able to actively push the message to people around me I hope my life, opinions and my strong standing on my faith serves as a testimonial. I am one of those guys who has fewer acquaintances but they go deeper.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
A good point. I have been keeping my faith visible for people around me in my work and private life in hopes that they will see Jesus in me. As I am who I am I have not been able to actively push the message to people around me I hope my life, opinions and my strong standing on my faith serves as a testimonial. I am one of those guys who has fewer acquaintances but they go deeper.

I am glad to see that you have responded. I am glad to see that SOMEONE responded. The passage that I provided, well, at age 56, I have never heard any preacher or teacher use this passage in a way that would help us to discover if we are true Christians or not. After a most remarkable Spiritual experience, I was forever changed and my life fell out of what seemed to be personal "control." Since that amazing day so many years ago, my life is clearly no longer my own. I have been purchased by Christ and the events of my life take place outside of my own choice or will. I am consistently being disciplined with one remarkable and painful experience after another; there is nothing I can do to stop it. As hard as I try to live at peace within this world that belongs to the Devil, I am unable to stop the testings of the Lord.

One great thing about suffering, at least in my case, is that I am amazed that I am never angry with the Lord. I never blame Him nor accuse Him, but instead, I thank Him for His proving to me that He alone has granted Endurance. So, as I learn the entire Bible in a timeline, chronological order, studying about 5 to 7 hours per day (hoping to double this very soon), I become more and more separated from this evil world. The more I study and learn, the less I "fit in" and find conflict everywhere, especially in the "church." The "church" does not want to hear about Bible passages that prove if our Spiritual Father is Satan or the Lord. Just as I once did, I would avoid all passages that proved this notion one way or another, for I was water baptized and therefore believed with 99% of my heart that I was truly saved, though I was a raging alcoholic, addicted to inappropriate contentography and one sexual experience after another, swore like a sailor and only reflected myself as a Christian when I was at "church" or searching for my next sexual interaction with a woman who claimed to believe in Christ. Consistently, I found "christian" women who were also willing to engage in sexual relationships . . . some of them who also served in the "church." I believed that what Paul said applied to me, which is that there is nothing that can separate me from the Love of Christ . . . even my own wretched, consistently sinful life that only reflected a Spiritual relationship with my former Father, the Devil.

Now, however, my life is controlled by the Holy Spirit. I no longer think as I once did. I no longer have the patterns of horrific sin as I once had. Instead, I keep improving as my life continues to be shaped, guided, and led by the Spirit of God. Why? Because as Colossians 2:9-15 states, the Sinful Nature has been Spiritually Circumcised from my heart. My former and evil "way" has been cut away and I am no longer held captive by Satan with the express purpose to do his will (2 Tim 2:25-26). My heart has been Circumcised by the Spirit (Rom 2:28-29). When Spiritual Circumcision has taken place, we are changed and this is not of ourselves lest we should boast. It is the Grace of God . . . there is nothing more Gracious than Spiritual Circumcision, for it is the releasing of a person from the clutches of Satan, thus making us new captives of Christ. Going from one captivity to another, I am still held as a prisoner, yet set free from Satan so that I can now do the Will of God, my new Spiritual Father. As the Lord's captive, I am now held prisoner to spread His incredible message . . . and there is nothing I can do about that. I MUST learn the Story of God AND the Saving Plan of Jesus Christ. I feel just as compelled to move forward in this life as did Paul, for he was told that he must suffer much for his actions before receiving his Spiritual Circumcision while on the Damascus Road. He was Transformed and compelled by God to pursue his mission which was to spread the message of Christ to the Gentiles.

Who has also been Transformed beyond their own choice and will?

Upvote 0

Pekka

Aug 14, 2022
Finland
✟14,098.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am glad to see that you have responded. I am glad to see that SOMEONE responded. The passage that I provided, well, at age 56, I have never heard any preacher or teacher use this passage in a way that would help us to discover if we are true Christians or not. After a most remarkable Spiritual experience, I was forever changed and my life fell out of what seemed to be personal "control." Since that amazing day so many years ago, my life is clearly no longer my own. I have been purchased by Christ and the events of my life take place outside of my own choice or will. I am consistently being disciplined with one remarkable and painful experience after another; there is nothing I can do to stop it. As hard as I try to live at peace within this world that belongs to the Devil, I am unable to stop the testings of the Lord.

One great thing about suffering, at least in my case, is that I am amazed that I am never angry with the Lord. I never blame Him nor accuse Him, but instead, I thank Him for His proving to me that He alone has granted Endurance. So, as I learn the entire Bible in a timeline, chronological order, studying about 5 to 7 hours per day (hoping to double this very soon), I become more and more separated from this evil world. The more I study and learn, the less I "fit in" and find conflict everywhere, especially in the "church." The "church" does not want to hear about Bible passages that prove if our Spiritual Father is Satan or the Lord. Just as I once did, I would avoid all passages that proved this notion one way or another, for I was water baptized and therefore believed with 99% of my heart that I was truly saved, though I was a raging alcoholic, addicted to inappropriate contentography and one sexual experience after another, swore like a sailor and only reflected myself as a Christian when I was at "church" or searching for my next sexual interaction with a woman who claimed to believe in Christ. Consistently, I found "christian" women who were also willing to engage in sexual relationships . . . some of them who also served in the "church." I believed that what Paul said applied to me, which is that there is nothing that can separate me from the Love of Christ . . . even my own wretched, consistently sinful life that only reflected a Spiritual relationship with my former Father, the Devil.

Now, however, my life is controlled by the Holy Spirit. I no longer think as I once did. I no longer have the patterns of horrific sin as I once had. Instead, I keep improving as my life continues to be shaped, guided, and led by the Spirit of God. Why? Because as Colossians 2:9-15 states, the Sinful Nature has been Spiritually Circumcised from my heart. My former and evil "way" has been cut away and I am no longer held captive by Satan with the express purpose to do his will (2 Tim 2:25-26). My heart has been Circumcised by the Spirit (Rom 2:28-29). When Spiritual Circumcision has taken place, we are changed and this is not of ourselves lest we should boast. It is the Grace of God . . . there is nothing more Gracious than Spiritual Circumcision, for it is the releasing of a person from the clutches of Satan, thus making us new captives of Christ. Going from one captivity to another, I am still held as a prisoner, yet set free from Satan so that I can now do the Will of God, my new Spiritual Father. As the Lord's captive, I am now held prisoner to spread His incredible message . . . and there is nothing I can do about that. I MUST learn the Story of God AND the Saving Plan of Jesus Christ. I feel just as compelled to move forward in this life as did Paul, for he was told that he must suffer much for his actions before receiving his Spiritual Circumcision while on the Damascus Road. He was Transformed and compelled by God to pursue his mission which was to spread the message of Christ to the Gentiles.

Who has also been Transformed beyond their own choice and will?
Going off topic but what lead you to this change and how did it happen? Paul last his vision. How about you?

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Going off topic but what lead you to this change and how did it happen? Paul last his vision. How about you?

Just as Scriptures state, no one can come to the Father unless He draws them. I was drawn by God, and when He removes the scales that cause blindness, we will understand the choosing ways of God. He chooses us. We do not choose Him.

No, I did not lose my vision as did Paul while on the Damascus Road.

Reactions: Pekka
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Blessings to you all!

My first recommendation would be to do a broad overview of the various eschatologies there are. This is an area of theology in which there is an intense diversity of opinion on a lot of subjects, and so there are a number of broad categories of eschatology which Christians have.

Get familiar with these different broad approaches and ideas. Feel free to dig deeper into them and how they break things down in different ways, and in general how they do things hermeneutically and exegetically with Scripture.

Something else you can do is read what various Christian theologians and thinkers have had to say on various subjects over the last two thousand years. While covering the entire last two thousand years could be quite daunting, you could begin by going early and looking at the ancient church fathers (this is something I'd recommend Christians do anyway for just about all theology). How did the fathers approach eschatological subjects? In what ways do they share common agreement and where do they sometimes disagree? That can provide some interesting historical insight that we can all benefit from.

I wouldn't recommend just picking up a Bible and reading the daily news and trying to find connections. That's like putting on a blindfold, spinning around, and trying to play darts.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't recommend just picking up a Bible and reading the daily news and trying to find connections. That's like putting on a blindfold, spinning around, and trying to play darts.

That's true, especially if a person hasn't received the Holy Spirit.

1 John 2:27 NLT - "But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true--it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ."

Be careful, @Pekka. This guy above just told you to "not pick up a Bible and reading." I simply cannot think of a worse recommendation. Please do not follow that horrific advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,050.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The problem with understanding the Prophetic Word, is told to us in Daniel 12:4 & 10...the Book is sealed until the time of the end.......then; Only a few wise leaders will understand.
And the reason why the Lord does close the eyes and block the ears of people, Isaiah 42:18-20, is because they choose to believe in false theories and fables, Isaiah 29:9-12, 2 Timothy 4:3-4

What can we do?
Trust in His protection and endure until the end. Rewards are promised to those who stand strong in their faith, thru whatever happens.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's true, especially if a person hasn't received the Holy Spirit.

1 John 2:27 NLT - "But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true--it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ."

Be careful, @Pekka. This guy above just told you to "not pick up a Bible and reading." I simply cannot think of a worse recommendation. Please do not follow that horrific advice.

I would ask that you not misrepresent what I say or bear false witness. I did not advise against reading the Bible or studying Scripture. I, specifically, said not to try to create an eschatological view based on trying to mix and match things we read in the news with what is in Scripture.

Perhaps this was an accident on your part, that is fine; I am not angry and I forgive you for the honest mistake. But please, in the future, be more careful.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I would ask that you not misrepresent what I say or bear false witness. I did not advise against reading the Bible or studying Scripture. I, specifically, said not to try to create an eschatological view based on trying to mix and match things we read in the news with what is in Scripture.

Perhaps this was an accident on your part, that is fine; I am not angry and I forgive you for the honest mistake. But please, in the future, be more careful.

-CryptoLutheran

I am uncertain as to your response. What you suggested is the utter opposite of what I would suggest, which is to NOT turn to the teachings of man (commentaries, etc), but turn to the Lord. Anyone who turns to the Lord will turn straight to His Holy Word.

Why you would suggest that a person turn to the teachings of man instead of directly to the Bible is perplexing.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am uncertain as to your response. What you suggested is the utter opposite of what I would suggest, which is to NOT turn to the teachings of man (commentaries, etc), but turn to the Lord. Anyone who turns to the Lord will turn straight to His Holy Word.

Why you would suggest that a person turn to the teachings of man instead of directly to the Bible is perplexing.

Because what you are suggesting isn't trusting the Scriptures, but trusting one's own opinions. Your mis-use and misunderstanding of 1 John 2:27 is a perfect example of why this approach fails.

Here is 1 John 2:27 in some of its essential context:

"Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is the promise that he made to us—eternal life.

I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him." - 1 John 2:18-27

John is talking about heretics, he calls them antichrists; they are preaching deeply wrong things. Nevertheless, John is confident that his readers are already well-acquainted with proper teaching. "I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth." "let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father"

Therefore John can say "you have no need that anyone should teach you", that is they do not need to listen to these false teachers, they have already received the truth in what they have been taught from the beginning. If they keep to the teaching as they first received it, the Holy Spirit will keep them in true faith, they will not fall astray but remain steadfast in the faith.

So not only does this passage not say what you are trying to make it say, it actually says the opposite of what you want it to say.

St. John isn't saying "don't listen to good teaching from good teachers" it's saying "you have already received good teaching, hold to that, and you'll be fine"

It is, in fact, the antichrists that John mentions who, though claiming to represent the apostles, have nothing to do with them. It is those who come in their own authority, claiming their own insights, revelations, and claims of spiritual significance who we should ignore; but instead remain committed to what has been received from the beginning. As the Apostles themselves taught, right there in the plain text of Holy Scripture.

Scripture rules over us. We do not rule over Scripture.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Because what you are suggesting isn't trusting the Scriptures, but trusting one's own opinions. Your mis-use and misunderstanding of 1 John 2:27 is a perfect example of why this approach fails.

Here is 1 John 2:27 in some of its essential context:

"Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is the promise that he made to us—eternal life.

I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him." - 1 John 2:18-27

John is talking about heretics, he calls them antichrists; they are preaching deeply wrong things. Nevertheless, John is confident that his readers are already well-acquainted with proper teaching. "I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth." "let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father"

Therefore John can say "you have no need that anyone should teach you", that is they do not need to listen to these false teachers, they have already received the truth in what they have been taught from the beginning. If they keep to the teaching as they first received it, the Holy Spirit will keep them in true faith, they will not fall astray but remain steadfast in the faith.

So not only does this passage not say what you are trying to make it say, it actually says the opposite of what you want it to say.

St. John isn't saying "don't listen to good teaching from good teachers" it's saying "you have already received good teaching, hold to that, and you'll be fine"

It is, in fact, the antichrists that John mentions who, though claiming to represent the apostles, have nothing to do with them. It is those who come in their own authority, claiming their own insights, revelations, and claims of spiritual significance who we should ignore; but instead remain committed to what has been received from the beginning. As the Apostles themselves taught, right there in the plain text of Holy Scripture.

Scripture rules over us. We do not rule over Scripture.

-CryptoLutheran
Okie doke. Have it your way.

You turn to people for help. I'll turn to the Lord and His Holy Word. You take your chances with people; I'll take mine with the God who causes me to reflect His Glory more and more.

Upvote 0